UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What is the Total Score for Dog B?
What is the total score for Dog B on this tree?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
150 5 6.25%
100 53 66.25%
75 15 18.75%
25 7 8.75%
Total: 80 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

What is the Total Score for Dog B?

Dogs A, B, C, and D all struck in that order. Dog A is declared treed and tree is closed. No other dogs declared treed. When the cast arrives at A's tree, they find Dog B is also there treeing. The tree is slick. What is the total minus score for Dog B on this tree?

Last edited by Allen / UKC on 04-02-2020 at 04:10 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:08 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

If the question is asking just about the tree points, I believe it is -25.

"Rule 4 (h). Dogs treeing but not declared treed when Judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut out on strike on slick tree or off game will receive minus tree points only."

I'm not 100% sure what to do with the strike points in this case.

Old Post 04-02-2020 04:45 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 04-02-2020 07:52 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
If the question is asking just about the tree points, I believe it is -25.

"Rule 4 (h). Dogs treeing but not declared treed when Judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut out on strike on slick tree or off game will receive minus tree points only."

I'm not 100% sure what to do with the strike points in this case.

"total" points.

Old Post 04-03-2020 05:29 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Keep them coming. VOTE!

Old Post 04-03-2020 05:30 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
"total" points.

OK, then I'm going to stay with -25 I think. Rule 4(h) still tells me -25 at the tree. If I'm reading rule 3(e) correctly it tells me to delete the strike points, not minus them.

Looking forward to hearing clarification.

Old Post 04-04-2020 03:48 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

The majority got it right (58%). Here's a breakdown towards finding the right rule(s) that apply to the specific scenario.

Three dogs are treeing as called when they arrive at the tree. The dog in question is Dog D, who is also treeing at this tree but was not declared treed. Where some get caught up and ultimately end up with the wrong ruling is scoring Dog D too soon. In other words, in accordance with the rules, the proper scoring for Dog D solely depends on how the tree is scored.

So when it comes to "dogs treeing but not declared treed", the thing to remember is this. We need to score the tree first. This is true 100% of the time. There's going to be three potential possibilities in play.

1) coon seen.
2) no coon seen and the tree is circled.
3) no coon seen and the tree is ruled as either being slick or contains off game.

1) If the tree has a coon seen.......... Rule 4(d) applies. {If dog declared treed; after three minutes has elapsed no additional dog can be declared treed at that particular tree. Dog(s) treeing but not declared treed when judge arrives minus strike points if coon is seen.}

2) If no coon is seen and tree is circled.......Rule 5(a) applies. {where dog strikes and trees on a tree or a hole in the ground where there could be coon, yet judge does not see see con and no off game is seen.}

3) If tree is slick or contains off game....... Rule 4(h) applies. {Dogs treeing but not declared treed when judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut out* on strike on slick or off game will receive minus tree points only.}

Correct Scoring....... In referencing each of the rules noted above, we see that #3 Rule 4(h) applies to Dog B. That rule also mentions dogs shut out on strike. A dog shut out on strike is one that was not declared struck before the first dog was declared treed on this particular tree. Dog B was in fact struck in before Dog A was declared treed, therefore, Dog B was not shut out on strike. The rule mentions dogs shut out on strike on strike to receive minus tree points only. We know that wasn't the case, so we interpret this to mean that Dog D shall be minused BOTH strike and tree points.

Dog B was declared struck for 75 strike points. We're now going to award him 25 points on tree AND minus both strike and tree points. 75 (strike) + 25 (tree) = 100 total minus for Dog B on this turnout. Final answer.

Old Post 04-06-2020 02:59 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Please post any "different" unrelated scenarios on a separate thread. Otherwise, it just lends to too much confusion for some. Thanks.

Old Post 04-06-2020 04:28 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
The majority got it right (58%). Here's a breakdown towards finding the right rule(s) that apply to the specific scenario.

Three dogs are treeing as called when they arrive at the tree. The dog in question is Dog D, who is also treeing at this tree but was not declared treed. Where some get caught up and ultimately end up with the wrong ruling is scoring Dog D too soon. In other words, in accordance with the rules, the proper scoring for Dog D solely depends on how the tree is scored.

So when it comes to "dogs treeing but not declared treed", the thing to remember is this. We need to score the tree first. This is true 100% of the time. There's going to be three potential possibilities in play.

1) coon seen.
2) no coon seen and the tree is circled.
3) no coon seen and the tree is ruled as either being slick or contains off game.

1) If the tree has a coon seen.......... Rule 4(d) applies. {If dog declared treed; after three minutes has elapsed no additional dog can be declared treed at that particular tree. Dog(s) treeing but not declared treed when judge arrives minus strike points if coon is seen.}

2) If no coon is seen and tree is circled.......Rule 5(a) applies. {where dog strikes and trees on a tree or a hole in the ground where there could be coon, yet judge does not see see con and no off game is seen.}

3) If tree is slick or contains off game....... Rule 4(h) applies. {Dogs treeing but not declared treed when judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut out* on strike on slick or off game will receive minus tree points only.}

Correct Scoring....... In referencing each of the rules noted above, we see that #3 Rule 4(h) applies to Dog B. That rule also mentions dogs shut out on strike. A dog shut out on strike is one that was not declared struck before the first dog was declared treed on this particular tree. Dog B was in fact struck in before Dog A was declared treed, therefore, Dog B was not shut out on strike. The rule mentions dogs shut out on strike on strike to receive minus tree points only. We know that wasn't the case, so we interpret this to mean that Dog D shall be minused BOTH strike and tree points.

Dog B was declared struck for 75 strike points. We're now going to award him 25 points on tree AND minus both strike and tree points. 75 (strike) + 25 (tree) = 100 total minus for Dog B on this turnout. Final answer.

So when does rule 3(e) come into play if not here? ..." If they are at tree shut out* on when judge arrives, strike points are deleted..." Very confusing to me. For someone on the outside, trying to learn these rules I think they are just organized poorly at times. Rule 3 is POINTS WILL BE PLUS... but 3(e) discusses deleting and minusing..... which seems to be in contradiction to the real answer.?

Which rule allows you to minus the strike point? Looking at rule 4(a-d) I don't see which desrcibe this situation. 4(a) is the closest... but there is not reason to assume the dog "quit" the track then came in to the tree. Rule 3(e) seems to fit the scenario better- no?

Last edited by houndsound on 04-06-2020 at 05:29 PM

Old Post 04-06-2020 05:20 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
So when does rule 3(e) come into play if not here? ..." If they are at tree shut out* on when judge arrives, strike points are deleted..." Very confusing to me. For someone on the outside, trying to learn these rules I think they are just organized poorly at times. Rule 3 is POINTS WILL BE PLUS... but 3(e) discusses deleting and minusing..... which seems to be in contradiction to the real answer.?

Which rule allows you to minus the strike point? Looking at rule 4(a-d) I don't see which desrcibe this situation. 4(a) is the closest... but there is not reason to assume the dog "quit" the track then came in to the tree. Rule 3(e) seems to fit the scenario better- no?

Sounds like you may be confused on the misinterpretation of "shut out". Shut out does not mean that the tree was closed before Dog B could be declared treed. Instead, it's the language used for a dog that was not declared struck BEFORE anther dog had already been declared treed. Secondly, a dog is only considered shut out on strike IF the dog is treed with the dog (same tree) that shut them out.

The scenario given questions the scoring of Dog B, who 1) is treeing but not declared treed and 2) the tree was score as slick.

Rule 3(e) has to do with dogs that are shut out on strike but were in fact declared treed AND a coon was seen. Totally different scenario. What 3(e) tells you how to score a dog that was declared treed, where a coon was seen, but the dog was shut out on strike (not declared struck until after the first dog was already declared treed.

Old Post 04-06-2020 07:06 PM
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

Your first post says that all of the dogs are struck and dog A trees then tree is closed but when they arrive dog B is there treeing.
In your ruling you said that 3 dogs are treeing as declared as called when you arrive.
I am confused was 3 dogs called treed or just dog A
If its like I read in your first post would you not award dog B the next tree position which would be 75 which would give the total score of 150 minus

Last edited by JMiller on 04-06-2020 at 08:42 PM

Old Post 04-06-2020 08:36 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Sounds like you may be confused on the misinterpretation of "shut out". Shut out does not mean that the tree was closed before Dog B could be declared treed. Instead, it's the language used for a dog that was not declared struck BEFORE anther dog had already been declared treed. Secondly, a dog is only considered shut out on strike IF the dog is treed with the dog (same tree) that shut them out.

The scenario given questions the scoring of Dog B, who 1) is treeing but not declared treed and 2) the tree was score as slick.

Rule 3(e) has to do with dogs that are shut out on strike but were in fact declared treed AND a coon was seen. Totally different scenario. What 3(e) tells you how to score a dog that was declared treed, where a coon was seen, but the dog was shut out on strike (not declared struck until after the first dog was already declared treed.

That clears it up well. Thanks for educating. Hope you do more of these.

Old Post 04-06-2020 10:45 PM
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

Rule 4-(h) Dogs treeing but not declared treed, when Judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut-out* on strike on slick tree or off game will receive minus tree points only. Refer to Rule 6 (f) for Champion Division casts and off game.

Old Post 04-07-2020 02:23 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is online now Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

My logic on this.

I agree with the 100-. Here's why.

Dog B tree points: Dog B did tree slick. So is deserving of minus points for treeing slick. Often, a good handler knows when his dog is treeing slick or off-game, and could avoid calling his dog when he knows the tree is bad.

Dog B strike points: Dog B did have 2nd strike. Typically (excluding deletion situations), a dog will either get plus, circle or minus. Obviously a dog can't get plus for treeing slick, and is not deserving of circle points for treeing slick. That only leaves minus points for strike, as it did finish it's track, and should be scored strike points based on that.

That seems perfectly fair to me.

Here's where I diverge. Say there was a coon in the tree. Obviously Dog A would get plus. Dog B will still get minus strike. To me, that shouldn't be right. Late or not, I don't think a dog should be minused for actually treeing a coon. To me, these should be deleted points. This becomes even more relevant if you are recasting dogs.

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:53 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: My logic on this.

Here's where I diverge. Say there was a coon in the tree. Obviously Dog A would get plus. Dog B will still get minus strike. To me, that shouldn't be right. Late or not, I don't think a dog should be minused for actually treeing a coon. To me, these should be deleted points. This becomes even more relevant if you are recasting dogs. [/B][/QUOTE] .....I agree w/half if this.. late dog should get 125- tree point also for getting their late, not 25-..Jmo !

Old Post 04-09-2020 05:12 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by JMiller
Your first post says that all of the dogs are struck and dog A trees then tree is closed but when they arrive dog B is there treeing.
In your ruling you said that 3 dogs are treeing as declared as called when you arrive.
I am confused was 3 dogs called treed or just dog A
If its like I read in your first post would you not award dog B the next tree position which would be 75 which would give the total score of 150 minus

Good catch Jmiller. In my answer I did suggest all four were at the tree. My bad. Even then, the only scoring in question is for Dog B, and does not change that scoring. Sorry to add any confusion. That's the last thing intended.

Old Post 04-09-2020 07:26 PM