UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Change is a coming!!!!
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Nope I am a dummy but any way that you get numbers up is good for everybody show you what I am up against probly 1000 other guys can say the same thing.

1. $42 hunt packet plus $2 a dog.
2.$50 building rent
3. $30 groceries
4. I give my services for free

Only 6 dogs show up you know where the money to pay for everything comes from ............. Me !! And I do it because I believe in it !! So as for me yes I applaud any an all changes to make it better seems like down here we been putting a different twist on things and they like it.

Tar

What “Twist” have you all been putting on it?

Phone number 270-820-5560

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-11-2018 02:53 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Just the non sanctioned hunts.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2018 03:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

No one knows what UKC is going to do but them. There was a discussion and some suggestions. They seem pretty receptive to it but that's it, they will have to decide where to go from there.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-11-2018 03:35 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

In defense of Tar, look at what he us saying about a 6 dog hunt, numbers tell the story. Every club is loosing money on these low turnout events, the only ones benefiting from these numbers are UKC and the ones making it "cheap" Champions. Tar moh's for free and digs in his own pocket to make up the shortage, don't blame him for his desire for wanting increased numbers. No business can sray open when their expenses exceed their income, its called bankruptcy. Some small clubs are run solely to benefit a few in making "champions", with no expectation of the club making a profit. All clubs that expect to stay open for the long run HAVE to at least break even, most would like to make a profit for all their hard work. Dave

Old Post 02-11-2018 06:45 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

So did UKC actually announce any changes or just that they are open to the idea of changes ?

Old Post 02-11-2018 06:52 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

I learned something at an early age

If you continue to do something, and get the same results over and over and over, and they are not the results you are looking for. It’s time to do something else. If you continue it’s your own fault. So when I hear we have had six dogs at our last 10 hunts that tells me you do not learn from previous attempts.

So any changes right now would be good. Whether it be all categories hunting together mandatory hunting if you want to show back to three hour hunts 90 minute hunts…

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 02-11-2018 07:11 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Let's look at it this way we draw six to ten dogs that's hunt and bench together on an average I cook for them for free , I make sure they get guided in our best spots. They all always have a good time no complaints but I have to come out of my pocket and sacrifice my time to make it happen that why I am only having 3 this year. On the other hand same area non sanctioned hunt $150 entry 16 dogs fills in a week a month before the hunt we have had three so far they pick their rules , no hunt director , no papers , no points , no paperwork to fill out. And no fees to pay and we make $250 off the top what's the difference ? Same guys running the races in the $$$$ kc are hunting in these and if we got one that can't get along they are not protected by a kc and we can tell them not to come back. And they know it !! I ain't got all the answers but I have to give them what they want or I pay out of my pocket did tar put himself in that position no !! Its been out of my hands for a long , long time and tar is tired and burnt out that's why I say what I say I want to fill the building again with a ukc hunts but I can only do so much plan those changes carefully but either way there will be some casualties they will just have to figure out the ones they can afford to loose.

Sincerely
Tar

Old Post 02-11-2018 07:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Large number of Ukc hunts with low number of entries have done more harm than anything, clubs are losing money and the number of nt chps and grnt chmps have eroded the status these titles once carried. Clubs that continue to hold these small hunts do so to benefit individuals interested in making these cheap champions, nothing else would make sense. Non sanctioned hunts seem to make more sense for the club to make a profit. Having fewer Ukc hunts with larger number of entries would go a long way to helping the clubs make a profit and restore some respect for a champion degree. Imo. Dave

Old Post 02-11-2018 08:15 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Believe it or not Dave you have a ton of clubs out there that only want low numbers that are putting wins on dogs for breeders. They do not want you there when they lost a lot of their feild reps that became common place they get paid well for their efforts that's why there are studs out there nobody you know ever remembers hunting with lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2018 08:23 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Hunted probably 1000 plus dogs or close to it..gave away 2000 of donated money and change is still coming.😁..They may have to split it up into two weekends next year.

Old Post 02-11-2018 08:35 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

John you talken about the Walmart supercenter we are failing at the neighborhood market level. Mississippi is a long ways from Oklahoma lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2018 08:46 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John D

The few big Ukc hunts are not the problem, its the multitude of small clubs that are having problems. A few big hunts do not produce a significant number of champion degrees. Fix the issues with smaller clubs or watch the program suffer! Dave

Old Post 02-11-2018 08:47 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: John D

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
The few big Ukc hunts are not the problem, its the multitude of small clubs that are having problems. A few big hunts do not produce a significant number of champion degrees. Fix the issues with smaller clubs or watch the program suffer! Dave

Dave, all the stuff discussed at the meeting was geared to helping the local level. Not the big hunts, so people like Tar and many others that have carried a club on their back for years can get some relief. My point in the meeting is there are no big hunts with out the local clubs. They are the ones putting the dogs in the woods and they are slowly dying.

There is an ugly part to it though and it was brought up. Some clubs can not handle much of an increase in entries because they will not have the guides. It might make some mad but my answer was they probably do not need to have a club if they do not have the support of their local hunters. The emphasis needs to be on quality not quantity. Hopefully increased numbers will mean increased locals and help guiding. They have to get rid of the business model of not allowing their successful dogs on the local level to continue to hunt and they have to give them a goal and a reason to come. Our sport is declining in numbers and will probably never be like it was. We are also divided in the hunts by different kennel clubs but we don't need to through our hands up and just say that's how it is. Try something and if it doesn't work, then try something else.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-11-2018 09:10 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. These non sanctioned hunts are poping up everywhere. UKC in my opinion needs to get behind these club's and make the hunts worth hunting in. Like they say you build it they will come.

Old Post 02-11-2018 09:12 PM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hittman
It's going to be interesting to see what happens. These non sanctioned hunts are poping up everywhere. UKC in my opinion needs to get behind these club's and make the hunts worth hunting in. Like they say you build it they will come.
Ding,ding,ding...I'm afraid you are right..Don't like the guys you have to draw invite your friends with worse dogs of course and have your own

Old Post 02-11-2018 09:40 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

You can't build what isn't there. The local hunts are dead because you don't have the hunters around like the old days. And when new people do show up they aren't welcomed in to the clicks just like this forum with the big head egos. Change needs to be made umungst yourselves not the organization.

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 02-11-2018 09:42 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
John you talken about the Walmart supercenter we are failing at the neighborhood market level. Mississippi is a long ways from Oklahoma lol.

Tar

Virginia is also..Local clubs have a hard time drawing a cast but one of the biggest state hunts inn the country...Hope the ones wiser than me can get entries back up :-)

Old Post 02-11-2018 09:43 PM
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

I think change needs to made on both sides actually. UKC needs to draw in younger hunters because there is alot young guys hunting. There's just alot being offered in other organizations. But here's the twist the young guys need to learn from the old guys. But the old guys got to put forth the effort in teaching the right ways. Not saying there are not old guys trying but it takes more than a few. Its going to have to work both ways. And with UKC backing with big promotion of the clubs. And hunters not being greedy and willing to help. Don't take this wrong not pointing fingers. Just my thought. To make it work it will take effort on both sides. And alot of work. But it can happen.

If you give you shall receive.

Last edited by Hittman on 02-11-2018 at 10:28 PM

Old Post 02-11-2018 10:01 PM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

John you know me I just say it. This younger bunch likes more oppertunities to win that's why the $$$$ hunts are so popular. Plus just throwing this out there like this last weekend 1000 dogs wow !! That's a freakin lot of work !! What if you made it a prepaid entry over 3 nights advance to win hunt like a mini world hunt so that way by Saturday night you would have three final cast reg, ntch, and Grntch a little $$$ for the final casts at the end just thinking is all.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2018 10:01 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
John you know me I just say it. This younger bunch likes more oppertunities to win that's why the $$$$ hunts are so popular. Plus just throwing this out there like this last weekend 1000 dogs wow !! That's a freakin lot of work !! What if you made it a prepaid entry over 3 nights advance to win hunt like a mini world hunt so that way by Saturday night you would have three final cast reg, ntch, and Grntch a little $$$ for the final casts at the end just thinking is all.

Tar

They will read these ideas ...Afraid its just not the youngins only..Quite a few of the older guys like a paycheck also.

Old Post 02-11-2018 10:17 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

What is wrong with Ukc starting a seperate class of $ Champiins ? All classes hunt together, added purses, smaller hunt fees and having titles akin to Pkc according to amount of $ won. Hunts like these would compliment the regular hunts and give the finished dogs something to hunt for. Dave

Old Post 02-11-2018 10:30 PM
bowling41762
UKC Forum Member

Boys what about a state race with a 16 dog field in each state hunting for a cash prize. Develop a point system to use for each state. $20 entry fee at a local event. UKC gets $2 a dog, put $3 in an escrow then the club gets $15 a dog. I know people are gonna say that’s gonna cost the club. Look here 10 dogs at a hunt that’s $30 the club looses. However the state race will pull in a cast or two of grnts that will make up for it. Ok think about what a jackpot each state could build up from January 1st- Dec 31st at $3 for every dog entered. In some states this could reach a 5 digit jackpot. Now that would bring the entries back up, maybe even to an all time high. The clubs gets less $ per dog but the entries will probably double. The key is developing a really fair point system. Now this could be tricky but building the escrow is simple and will get entry numbers up.

Home of
2011 UKC Ky State Champion
Ntch Bowlings hardwood izzy belle
Pr' Bowlings hickory nut Hannah
Pr' Extreme Smoking Harry

Old Post 02-12-2018 07:41 AM
bowling41762 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling41762 Click here to Send bowling41762 a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling41762 Find more posts by bowling41762 Add bowling41762 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slim shady
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by MR.RATMAN
You can't build what isn't there. The local hunts are dead because you don't have the hunters around like the old days. And when new people do show up they aren't welcomed in to the clicks just like this forum with the big head egos. Change needs to be made umungst yourselves not the organization.

👍🏻👍🏻

Old Post 02-12-2018 01:43 PM
Slim shady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slim shady Click here to Send Slim shady a Private Message Find more posts by Slim shady Add Slim shady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, here we go again, change UKC to make it just like PKC. What is the matter with making changes but still keep UKC a separate Kennel Club? If you want to hunt for money, there is a couple of other Kennel Clubs for that. And their local hunts are not drawing any better than the UKC hunts so that is not the solution.

Old Post 02-12-2018 01:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What ever changes are made Richard I will try and make it work I have a son that is excited about coon hunting.

Tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 02:12 PM