UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Leaving Tree!!! Any Help???
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Dog Leaving Tree!!! Any Help???

I got a 3 year old male super nice hound coon treer, he is a natural dead loaner I mean has never covered and I raised him as a puppy, dog just don't like being around dogs. He has been in few hunts and always alone never with other dogs. But I noticed a few times when something covers him he leaves, he has done that 5 or 6 times just packs up and leaves, What can I do to fix it?

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-09-2018 01:56 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I had a coon treeing machine like that....hunted him 3 years like that.... never could fix it finally just took him for what he was and enjoyed it! .....wish I could help you.

Old Post 02-09-2018 02:55 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

My dog will do the same thing I hunted her alone the whole time I trained her and now if she’s treeing and another dog comes in she leaves...I like thatt to be honest I love a dog that just wants to stay alone..

Old Post 02-09-2018 02:57 PM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Find a buddy who has a covering machine. Hunt them together. Get him use to it. Maybe

Old Post 02-09-2018 03:09 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

thyroid!!

Most likely the dogs coming in to his trees, have been in fight with a coon that was once bit by a tick, that has low thyroid levels....and your dog can sense that and dont want anything to do with that horrible stuff lol..

All jokes aside,, what Philip mentioned, may work......sounds like good idea at least.

Old Post 02-09-2018 04:42 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Let him get treed. Then walk 2/3 dogs in and cut them lose and let them back him and see what's goin on and adjust it from there , not going to be easy but that the only shot you have are put him in a pen where you can control the situation , might be to old and set in his ways depends on the relationship you have with the dog only you know that good luck

Old Post 02-09-2018 05:09 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

I had this same issue but I fixed it before the age of 2. I just made her realize it was more painful to leave then stay.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 02-09-2018 05:57 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Night Shift
I had this same issue but I fixed it before the age of 2. I just made her realize it was more painful to leave then stay.

What did you do to stop her from leaving?

Old Post 02-10-2018 01:17 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

You can't shock him to make him come back because he will just keep going father and farther

Old Post 02-10-2018 02:45 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
You can't shock him to make him come back because he will just keep going father and farther
wrong
if he understands why he is getting shocked it will work i have seen it work. the same things don't work on all dogs the same.

Old Post 02-10-2018 02:58 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

Im saying it does not work on him I have tried and he does not come back he goes and goes

Old Post 02-10-2018 04:14 PM
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

Waited cut dogs in that I knew would back and rolled her on 18. Put her back on the tree. The worst thing that can be done is not correct the issue the first time it happens

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 02-10-2018 05:23 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

They are jealous tree dogs, they don't want to share the tree, pretty hard to cure,I've slowed it down, but I don't think I've ever cured it.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-10-2018 10:38 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

They are jealous tree dogs, they don't want to share the tree, pretty hard to cure,I've slowed it down, but I don't think I've ever cured it.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-10-2018 10:38 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

See you can shock him because when you do he blows out for sure

Old Post 02-11-2018 03:50 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It seems he has trained himself to leave the area when you shock him. Now it's your job to train him to come to you to avoid being shocked.

Old Post 02-11-2018 07:44 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

It's about impossible to get him back

Old Post 02-23-2018 03:17 AM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Does he go on and tree another one or what?

Old Post 02-23-2018 03:27 AM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

quote:

'
I had a dog that done the same thing when shocked. None of the others were like that. But that dog would just go further and further if shocked. Dogs are different.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 02-23-2018 03:45 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
work with him in the yard or a field with the collar and a rope and teach him to tone to you.

Old Post 02-23-2018 01:56 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Shock

I have always used shock for extreme cases of disobedience or off game. Shock normally will stop an action. Not to sure if the dog will understand why he is getting shocked. Not an expert but if shocking a dog will make him tree or go back to a tree that he has left....well that's new to me....when I shock my female and that is rare, rare, rare, or even tone her she is done for that turnout. I know some dogs can take it but leaving a tree with a coon in it because of a dog backing him will be a tough fix to say the least...some dogs can take zero pressure at the tree. And i would call that an extreme fault....especially if you want to competition hunt...

Old Post 02-23-2018 02:09 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Always start out in your yard or an enclosed area with a shock or tone collar. Train/show them the correct response before you shock them in the woods. Read the instruction book that came with your system. Always start out on the lowest setting. You can't just "shock" them and expect to get the correct response. The dog has to know what the correct response is. If you can't train your dog, you have 3 choices.... accept the behavior, pay someone who can, sell him.

Old Post 02-23-2018 02:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Always start out in your yard or an enclosed area with a shock or tone collar. Train/show them the correct response before you shock them in the woods. Read the instruction book that came with your system. Always start out on the lowest setting. You can't just "shock" them and expect to get the correct response. The dog has to know what the correct response is. If you can't train your dog, you have 3 choices.... accept the behavior, pay someone who can, sell him.
x2

Old Post 02-23-2018 02:51 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Tie him at the tree before you cut dogs to him. Then he can't leave. Maybe use a long lead like a check cord for bird dogs. But have him tied will ensure you get your point across to him. If you don't want to use the shocked use a switch.

Old Post 02-23-2018 04:55 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Are you saying you can't train this dog to come on command?

Old Post 02-23-2018 06:05 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote