UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The Gardening Thread

It's that time of year when we are ready to get our hands back in the dirt . Post your garden tips, tricks and questions here.
Myself I am making my first attemp to start tomatoes from seeds if anyone has any tips please share. Chey has told me I might as well give up on them and plan on buying plants.
We are getting ready to put the tators and onions in the ground and will soon be planting lettuce and radishes. I plant most of this in pallets some we removed every other board for wider rows. Pallets are great for preventing weeds and also great for small herb gardens.
Has anyone did any of the haybail gardening? We have rocky soil and most our beds are raised so have thought about expanding using these.
Last summer we visited the Baker's Creek Pioneer Village and bought all sorts of heirloom seeds and I am excited about trying out some of these new to me but old varieties.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-28-2016 06:50 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tried all kinds but the early girl tomatoes are the best not as big but make more we buy the Easter baskets at Walmart after Easter for 20 cents apiece we make salsa we put one jar of hot one of mild and a bag of chips in each basket we give them for Christmas everybody loves them.

Old Post 03-28-2016 07:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Thumbs up

http://www.twingardenfarms.com/farm-market/

Try this sweetcorn , it's the best I have ever ate !!

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 03-28-2016 08:07 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

When I was in grade school, the teacher had us start tomato plants in 1/2 an egg shell. If you don't eat many eggs that wouldn't work, but if u try it, try to crack the egg so u get a bigger half to put ur seed in and smash the rest to put in ur dirt. I just read that ice cream cones work well for starting plants in.

Old Post 03-28-2016 09:12 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rexridge I will try the egg shells and let you all know how they turn out. Makes since egg shells have calcium that tomatoes love , I always put them around the plants in the garden.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-28-2016 09:21 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hope it works well for you. Keep an egg carton to put them in, it keeps them in place. If I still started plants, I'd still use egg shells, but we have so many Amish around here that sell plants really cheap, that it's easier and probably not much more expensive to get from them.

Old Post 03-30-2016 12:15 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Egg shells also work got blossom rot. I just got the garden turned last week. I was gonna plant but claiming its going to get cold again.

Old Post 03-30-2016 12:46 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Got our onions, lettuce, and cabage in the ground. Will plant the tomatoes after this weekend. I like the bigger boys and better girls. The beefmasters are really good too. We spread chicken litter on the garden every year and it gives the soil some extra boost. Good gardening everyone!

Old Post 03-30-2016 01:05 AM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CGB32
UKC Forum Member

The straw bale or hay garden which ever you chose does work I believe straw is probably best I think they work great but I won't do anymore I thought it stunk and we had lots of mosquitoes all the time around them I use plastic lick tubs for all my herbs onions garlic and have done potatoes in them everything else is in the ground or a raise bed

Old Post 03-30-2016 01:05 AM
CGB32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CGB32 Click here to Send CGB32 a Private Message Click Here to Email CGB32 Find more posts by CGB32 Add CGB32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bobbycagle1
Got our onions, lettuce, and cabage in the ground. Will plant the tomatoes after this weekend. I like the bigger boys and better girls. The beefmasters are really good too. We spread chicken litter on the garden every year and it gives the soil some extra boost. Good gardening everyone!
I've recently learned chicken litter kills Turkeys. Really.

Old Post 03-30-2016 01:25 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got some okra , long horn okra a friend gave me the seed I have saved it every year since it can get 10 inches long as long as you keep it watered it is still tender.

Old Post 03-30-2016 10:37 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Does that okrie run? Like if I plant it along side a fence.

Old Post 03-30-2016 05:09 PM
yadkintar
Banned

No but it gets so tall you have to bend it over to pick it I like it because when you cut it up it makes a lot we bread it and put it in the freezer squash to.

Old Post 03-30-2016 05:18 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Got some here that runs like a cucumber vibe. Gets really big like nothing you ever seen before..Does not get tough. Im talking a foot long and half as big as your arm or alittle bigger.

Old Post 03-30-2016 10:05 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Okra ? Lol.

Old Post 03-30-2016 10:31 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Yeah. All I know of it being called is running okra.

Old Post 03-30-2016 10:48 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I dig a trench plant mine in the bottom of it I will flood it about every 4 days is the makingest stuff I ever grew I give away a lot fried for me don't like it boiled lol.

Old Post 03-30-2016 11:10 PM
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

HOW ABOUT PICS. I AM INTERESTED IN THE PALLETS BEING USED. WE TRIED SEEDS FOR MATERS ONCE. EASIER GETTING PLANTS.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 03-31-2016 12:09 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

When I get mine growing I'll get some pics up .
The pallets you just lay on the ground and fill with dirt . If it's in a new spot where grass is growing put a weed barrier underneath or even some cardboard . You will need to nail a board on the ends so the dirt won't wash out . Last year I had herbs growing in one . And used the others for lettuce , green onions and carrots . If they had to narrow of spacing I popped of every other board .
Ours is a small fenced in garden to keep the pups and critters out , we plan on expanding it some this spring .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-31-2016 03:21 PM
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
I've recently learned chicken litter kills Turkeys. Really.

Idk about that.. But it sure does make them mators get big and pretty.

Old Post 03-31-2016 11:20 PM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

3 inch magnums #5 shot kills them too

Old Post 03-31-2016 11:37 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

We use seasoned horse manure on ours. What kinda peas y'all plant usually?

Old Post 03-31-2016 11:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
We use seasoned horse manure on ours. What kinda peas y'all plant usually?

Le Sueur in the silver can lol .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-01-2016 05:58 PM
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
3 inch magnums #5 shot kills them too

Ain't nothing like fried Turkey breast with poke salad and fried tators!!!

Old Post 04-01-2016 06:52 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Burnt out on poke salad and hominy ate to much as a kid and especially corn meal mush.

Old Post 04-01-2016 11:55 PM