UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Looking for tips on keeping hounds in extremely cold temps
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Junior Watson
UKC Forum Member

Looking for tips on keeping hounds in extremely cold temps

What do you all do for your hounds in extremely cold weather? Here in East Tennessee we have been in single digits and wind chills below 0 for the last several days and no warm up in sight. This weather is rare for this long of time here. I don't have my dogs in kennels they are tied up with plastic barrels for their house. What are some things you do? Thank you.

865-908-0482 home
865-654-6600 cell

Home of:
NiteCh Smoky Mtn Blue Zip (Speed x Sue) Co Owned with Clinton Hocker
Smoky Mtn Blue Buddy II (Speed X Jolene)
Smoky Mtn Blue Spot (Speed X Sassy)
Smoky Mtn Blue Bailey (Ruger X Cotton)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
NiteCh Smoky Mtn Blue Speed (Hornet x Gypsy)
NiteCh Smoky Mtn Blue Lady (Speed x Sue)
GrandNiteCH Watson's Smokin Hot Blue Blaze (Blaze X CryBaby)
Dual GrCh Clear River Kat (RamboII X Curlee)
NiteCh GrCh Andrews' Tarheel Blue Smokie (RamboII X Savanah)
NiteCh GrCh Kings Blue Mandy (RamboII X Roxie)
NiteCh Blue Ridge Singing Sue (Grit X Hunny)
NiteCh Smoky Mtn Blue Buddy (Logan X Hope)
NiteCh Smoky Mtn Blue Brandy(Ben X Molly)
Ch Smoky Mtn Blue Rose (Hawk X Missy)
Smoky Mtn Blue Tiny (Speed X Anna)
NiteCh Carroll's So Blue Rock (Tree Bangin Hoss x Missy)
Smoky Mtn Blue Lily (Speed X Sue)
Smoky Mtn Blue Rock (Rock X Sue)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2018 10:12 PM
Junior Watson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Junior Watson Click here to Send Junior Watson a Private Message Click Here to Email Junior Watson Find more posts by Junior Watson Add Junior Watson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Personally I wouldnt put a dog in a plastic barrel if it stays under 20 degrees for very long, but with a quality insulated dog house, with a door, and proper bedding, my dogs are comfortable with temps below zero.

If that is all you have access too, put a door on it, get some hay or straw bales to put around the dog house and always make sure their bedding (I prefer long grass hay) is fresh and dry until the weather gets better at least. Or you can bring them inside at night.

Old Post 01-02-2018 10:17 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjennings
UKC Forum Member

Dry bedding, and put warm water on their feed. Minus 14 here in Ohio this morning. I have mine and my brother's pups together in one big pen. They will eat DOUBLE in the cold weather.

Grntch ch Goldch Tree Shakin Jed
Grntch Silver ch Stylish Dirty Dave

Old Post 01-02-2018 11:04 PM
mjennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjennings Click here to Send mjennings a Private Message Find more posts by mjennings Add mjennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JDBROWN865
UKC Forum Member

Hey junior like they said plenty of straw and feed with water so they at least get water then cause mine been staying froze I been busting and rewatering daily

Old Post 01-03-2018 01:40 AM
JDBROWN865 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JDBROWN865 Click here to Send JDBROWN865 a Private Message Click Here to Email JDBROWN865 Find more posts by JDBROWN865 Add JDBROWN865 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I have two dogs in plastic barrels. The barrels have conveyer belt doors and old carpet draped over the barrel to help insulate.

Old Post 01-03-2018 03:16 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

houses

Yes good double walled-2 inch foam insulated then I wrap mine in tin, straw,and double feed, them barrells a dog can freeze dead easy, I live in wyo where it can be 20-40below for a month or more some times and even if it's warmer your dogs are well taken care of, just what I do and you guys supposed to get some bad az weather soon!!!!

Last edited by treedog69 on 01-03-2018 at 03:30 AM

Old Post 01-03-2018 03:26 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

pet porters

Pet porters are in the house..Titus n Star dont mind it a bit..make sure they have access to water ,and I take em out several times durin the day..havent had a mess in either pet porter since i brought em in..Nice n Calm,,

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 01-03-2018 03:50 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Looking for tips on keeping hounds in extremely cold temps

quote:
Originally posted by Junior Watson
What do you all do for your hounds in extremely cold weather? Here in East Tennessee we have been in single digits and wind chills below 0 for the last several days and no warm up in sight. This weather is rare for this long of time here. I don't have my dogs in kennels they are tied up with plastic barrels for their house. What are some things you do? Thank you.

Straw inside, and a door. They will stay very warm. And up their feed and make sure they stay hydrated.

Old Post 01-03-2018 05:07 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Cold

I go out around 2:00 or 3:00, AM, at night, I'll give them 12 to 14 oz. of food, each, it keeps them warm, and water them 2 or 3 times a day, it was -5 below here the other morning. I gave them water tonight, cause they are getting too fat, i like hay better than straw, i'll put a flap, over the opening, i cut strips in it so they can go in and out. They will get too hot and tear the strips down, if you cover too much of the door way. It's like, when you pull the covers over your head, it don't take long to get hot, when you exhale.

Old Post 01-03-2018 05:50 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackjack ohio
UKC Forum Member

I've got mine in a insulated dog house with a heat lamp and straw, piece of a welcome mat covering the door. He also has a heated water bucket.

Old Post 01-03-2018 08:55 PM
Blackjack ohio is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackjack ohio Click here to Send Blackjack ohio a Private Message Visit Blackjack ohio's homepage! Find more posts by Blackjack ohio Add Blackjack ohio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blackjack ohio
I've got mine in a insulated dog house with a heat lamp and straw, piece of a welcome mat covering the door. He also has a heated water bucket.

X2

Old Post 01-03-2018 09:21 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turman
UKC Forum Member

Heated water buckets help to keep them hydrated and will make your life easier too.

Old Post 01-03-2018 09:33 PM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

My dog houses are cinder block and full of Hay, mine tend to eat straw for some reason. Its been 9 here several mornings and by mid morning they are laying out on top of the dog houses. I change their water in the morning and just before dark. They seem to be doing just fine. We will be back to normal temps by next week.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-03-2018 11:36 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Dennison
UKC Forum Member

Up here in north Central Ohio the Last few weeks it's been below zero with the windchill. I keep mine in a above ground kennel (covered on all sides for the winter). Insulated doghouse, heated water bucket, automatic feeder, heat lamps that keeps it around 40° in the kennel and they love it.

Old Post 01-06-2018 11:44 PM
Rick Dennison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Dennison Click here to Send Rick Dennison a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick Dennison Find more posts by Rick Dennison Add Rick Dennison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Here it’s been

As low as -24 with windchills as low as -40 for the last 8 Days.

DRY BEDDING. Turn the barrel so it’s NOT facing the wind. I use wood shavings

I would not put anything over the door—got to let the house “breathe “ or you are going to get frost/moisture on the inside which will turn to water and you have wet bedding that will kill your hound from pneumonia

And as was said —WATER— Be sure to use Milk Replacer that is not medicated if you use milk Replacer and be sure that the waters is not to hot!!

I do double their feed by feeding twice a day. Another trick is add a little bran or oatmeal that is high in fiber and top dress it at night. The dog will build a little body heat by having to digest the fiber.

Good Luck

Old Post 01-07-2018 12:47 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

What would be to warm?

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-07-2018 01:01 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

My dog houses are 2' high, 2' deep, 3' wide, 12"x12" door with heavy landscape cloth over top 8-9 inches of the door. Most of the time look out and see their snout sticking out the door. Liz and our 85 lb lab Chief have been sleeping in one house together.

Bluetick Hound
Liz (Davis Creek So Blue Slug x Watsons Smoky Mtn Blue Zip)

Gone but never forgotten
Briar (Andersons Screaming Blue Zues X Triple D All Grand Puddles)
Blue (Thunder St. Nick X Fosters Little Frosty)

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 01-07-2018 06:29 AM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buckmaster27012
UKC Forum Member

what type of heat lamp is safe to use in dog house that you have straw in? have a wooden dog house with some foam insulation inside it. temps got down to -4 last night, really hope to not see any more nights like that.

Old Post 01-08-2018 06:13 AM
buckmaster27012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buckmaster27012 Click here to Send buckmaster27012 a Private Message Click Here to Email buckmaster27012 Find more posts by buckmaster27012 Add buckmaster27012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buckmaster27012
what type of heat lamp is safe to use in dog house that you have straw in? have a wooden dog house with some foam insulation inside it. temps got down to -4 last night, really hope to not see any more nights like that.

I saw a neat set up that used a keyless light fixture with a metal coffee can cover the bulb and fixture. Coffee can had holes drilled around it to let the heat flow. What lamp depends on the house size but a 100 watt lamp will give off a lot of heat. I used a 60 watt lamp several years ago in my 2'x2'x3' houses.

Bluetick Hound
Liz (Davis Creek So Blue Slug x Watsons Smoky Mtn Blue Zip)

Gone but never forgotten
Briar (Andersons Screaming Blue Zues X Triple D All Grand Puddles)
Blue (Thunder St. Nick X Fosters Little Frosty)

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 01-08-2018 06:43 AM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: Looking for tips on keeping hounds in extremely cold temps

quote:
Originally posted by Junior Watson

GARAGE

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-08-2018 12:33 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LeRoy Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

Warm Houses

I water mine at least twice a day and when I feed of the evening, I put warm water on their feed.

I presently have insulated dog houses built out of 3/4 plywood outside, 3/4 insulation and 1/2 plywood inside. off set door to reduce wind. Put long straw for bedding.

I have used barrels and when it got cold I had a chance to get some heavy moving pads, put pads over their barrels for insulation. Got to say, it appeared to work pretty well. I had cut 14"quare holes for them to enter, dogs really did pretty well.

I have some lots now and also try to position houses and erect some wind breaks, really helps if you can keep the wind from blowing in around them.

Wish you the best with them!!

Marshall, NC
Home of:
NiteCh GRCH PR Sawyer's Deep Cove Speck (Deceased)
GRCH PR Curtis's Deep Cove Dixie
GRNiteCh GRCH PR Jenkins Deep Cove Tucker
CH Sawyers Deep Cove Sadie
NiteCh GrCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Blazer (deceased)
NiteCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Lovely
GRNTCH GRCH Jenkins Deep Cove Trudy (deceased)
GRCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Chief

Old Post 01-08-2018 08:58 PM
LeRoy Sawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LeRoy Sawyer Click here to Send LeRoy Sawyer a Private Message Find more posts by LeRoy Sawyer Add LeRoy Sawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LeRoy Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

Warm Houses

I water mine at least twice a day and when I feed of the evening, I put warm water on their feed.

I presently have insulated dog houses built out of 3/4 plywood outside, 3/4 insulation and 1/2 plywood inside. off set door to reduce wind. Put long straw for bedding.

I have used barrels and when it got cold I had a chance to get some heavy moving pads, put pads over their barrels for insulation. Got to say, it appeared to work pretty well. I had cut 14"quare holes for them to enter, dogs really did pretty well.

I have some lots now and also try to position houses and erect some wind breaks, really helps if you can keep the wind from blowing in around them.

Wish you the best with them!!

Marshall, NC
Home of:
NiteCh GRCH PR Sawyer's Deep Cove Speck (Deceased)
GRCH PR Curtis's Deep Cove Dixie
GRNiteCh GRCH PR Jenkins Deep Cove Tucker
CH Sawyers Deep Cove Sadie
NiteCh GrCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Blazer (deceased)
NiteCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Lovely
GRNTCH GRCH Jenkins Deep Cove Trudy (deceased)
GRCH Sawyer's Deep Cove Chief

Old Post 01-08-2018 08:58 PM
LeRoy Sawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LeRoy Sawyer Click here to Send LeRoy Sawyer a Private Message Find more posts by LeRoy Sawyer Add LeRoy Sawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Cold

Mine have insulated dog houses, plenty of bedding. Dog houses are inside an old barn that's partially open to the south east (so out of the wind). Kennel runs are outside the barn. Electric frost free buckets/bowls inside the barn, so they always have water.
The electric water bowls/ buckets are well worth the cost to purchase and operate. Once you have them, you'll never go without them very long.
It's been 0 and below here lately for several days, so I increase the feed amount by about 30%.
Years ago, I didn't have quite as good of setup, temps got down to -37. Dog house was not insulated, so I doubled the dogs up and put a carpet flap on the door. Sometimes I'd look outside and see one of the dogs setting outside, then later the other one. They'd both be in there for maybe an hour, then one would be outside. Seemed like they had more heat than they wanted. So that's an option.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 01-09-2018 05:09 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Cold

Actually, the dog heats his box, with his breathing, i've put covers, over their openings, only to have them tear them off. But those, below zero nights, they started leaveing them on, and i adjusted them, to leave an opening. I happened, to see an old red female, with her nose outside the cover, i stuck my hand in their, it was hot. It's like when you were a kid growing up, you'd pull the covers up over your head, and it didn't take long, it was hot under there, the dog, heats his box the same way. But i don't like the great big boxs, he can't heat those as good. And i give them water twice a day and feed twice a day when it's 20 degrees or colder, i like hay, better than straw, it lasts longer, it won't break up, like straw. I don't use, heat lamps, or bulbs.

Old Post 01-09-2018 08:42 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I done a test today. AT 2 this afternoon in an insulated house it was 20 degrees. I put a can heater in there in 60 minutes it was 35. This was an empty dog house. I will be putting them in all 4 houses.

Old Post 01-17-2018 01:27 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote