UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another dog food question, Purina Dog Chow
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Another dog food question, Purina Dog Chow

I have fed Dog Chow for years to the hounds I don’t hunt much and in the summer even the ones I hunt.

I have always been well satisfied. Dogs look good and kennel clean up was same as high dollar feeds.

However, the last 5 bags I have bought have absolutely had the funniest manure I have ever saw in kennel. I did get a bag that said made with beef on front. I normally use chicken so I blamed it on that. The next 4 bags were chicken. It has been awful.

A friend was complaining about his tonight before I mentioned it and he lives 3 hours from me so we are not getting the same batch.

Have they changed formulation? Has anyone else noticed it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:10 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Yessir, I've always felt just like you as far as being pleased with dog chow on ones I'm not pushing. I've got two dogs on it, they got loose stools and act like they're hung up sometimes trying to go, n they been on the same blend awhile,and all a sudden something's changed.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-16-2019 06:26 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

beef/chicken

I have been feeding dog chow for over 20 years. Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't notice two different flavors. When did they start making two flavors? My wife buys the dog food on her way home from work. She grabbed a green bag like always. When I dumped it into the storage container we use I noticed it said chicken. The hounds ate it no problems my German shorthair was real picky with it. Almost to the point that "when he gets hungry enough he will eat it. I did notice his poop being different and he projectile vomited a couple of times. He has a cough now that he didn't have before. I am not saying the cough is related to the food because I do not know what is causing it. we have switched back to the beef dog chow. I have noticed his poop is loose one time the next time he acts like he is constipated. Our dog food come from a store in Minnesota.

Old Post 01-16-2019 01:58 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow

Same as described above. Use both beef and Chicken.
Randi

Old Post 01-16-2019 02:17 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've been feeding Purina Dog Chow for years. I see no difference.

Old Post 01-16-2019 03:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

DOG CHOW

HERE IS MY STORY WITH IT. I BOUGHT 2 BAGS THIS SUMMER NOT HUNTING MUCH TO KEEP THE DOGS IN BETTER SHAPE BOTH GOT SICK ON THE FEED AND WOULD NOT EAT IT. I TOOK THE UNOPENED BAG AND THE 3/4 FULL BAG OUT IN THE WOODS JUST TO GET READ OF IT LONG STORY SHORT NOTHING IN THE WILD WOULD EAT IT THE PILE WAS THERE SINCE JULY AND FINALLY WITH ALL THE RAIN AND SNOW IT HAS WENT AWAY. I WILL NOT BUY THE STUFF AGAIN. I DO FEED PURINA AND ALWAYS HAVE BUT THE DOG CHOW WILL STAY ON THE SELF AT THE STORE FOR ME.

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:01 PM
Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

My hounds kept too much weight on, was using 30/20 and since went to the Dog Chow Natural with Real Chicken 25/12 and they are doing real good, solid stool and look great. Chewy has it for $19.00 something for 32 lb. bags.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:10 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

I feed pro plan sport, the last 2 bags have seemed different as well. Bought both bags from different stores and still same results.

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:18 PM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I ain't noticed any thing wrong with the proplan yet

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:36 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Feed

Just bought 10 more bags. Have had no problems. I like the beef for winter months because it has a higher fat content. I have had a problem with my pro club points, since they went to receipt program. I am about 4000 points short. I called, and they said they would fix it. Its been over two weeks and it hasn't been fixed. I suggest people keep track of your points. Just about every place that sells feed has different size bags. It looks like they scanned one bag and put x number of bags when purchased feed and I only got credit for the one bag that was scanned when I sent receipt in to Pro club.

Last edited by davemc on 01-16-2019 at 05:33 PM

Old Post 01-16-2019 05:25 PM
davemc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davemc Click here to Send davemc a Private Message Find more posts by davemc Add davemc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Call Purina.

Ask them these questions.
We feed PP Sensitive Skin with PP Sport. See no changes.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 01-16-2019 05:35 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RWFulbright
New UKC Forum Member

Feed Pride Black 24/20 never had any problems out of it

Grntch "PR" Smokin Loudmouth Duke
Ntch "PR" Dukes Black Beauty (Tea)
"PR" Rafter F's Easy Harlot

Old Post 01-17-2019 04:47 AM
RWFulbright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RWFulbright Click here to Send RWFulbright a Private Message Click Here to Email RWFulbright Find more posts by RWFulbright Add RWFulbright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

I feed pro plan sport and have for years, I never change and have never wanted to or had reason to, but I will say the bag I am feeding rite now seems to be going to waste, the dogs aren't eating it as they normally do. I've been dumping food out regular lately. I hope this isn't a bad sign.

Purina will get it right, that I'm sure of.

Old Post 01-17-2019 05:00 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

I had fed dog chow for quite some time but this fall all of a sudden dogs started looking like they were losing out on it. Seen thread on here about the rural king 30/20 switched to it dogs picked back up.

Old Post 01-17-2019 09:02 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by DKIPP
Same here - Fed dog chow for several years. I changed to Sportmix this fall.

You didn't help yourself out there, sportmix sorriest junk made.

Old Post 01-17-2019 04:42 PM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

I have fed many tons of dog chow for many years and always had good results. I soak my food and have noticed a difference in the way it soaks up from different batches from time to time, though never noticed a difference in the dogs. I've never felt it has quite enough protein and fat for cold weather, so mix it half and half with a high protein and fat feed in the cold months and feel they made a mistake when they did away with purina hi pro.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 01-17-2019 05:41 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Times 2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Surveyor
I have fed many tons of dog chow for many years and always had good results. I soak my food and have noticed a difference in the way it soaks up from different batches from time to time, though never noticed a difference in the dogs. I've never felt it has quite enough protein and fat for cold weather, so mix it half and half with a high protein and fat feed in the cold months and feel they made a mistake when they did away with purina hi pro. [/

QUOTE] Only my Jet 9 daughter gets supplement.Agree above.
I have kennels in the barn, so in my case weather stress is limited...

Last edited by Jason Bourne on 01-17-2019 at 06:18 PM

Old Post 01-17-2019 06:14 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

I've fed Dog Chow for more than 20 years now and have always been satisfied with it. I do supplement with a more heavy duty food in the winter or if I'm hunting my dogs hard. Never saw any difference in the stool. Some of my dogs had loose stool and some not. The one I'm feeding now has tight stool no mater what you feed her. Dogs will differ and sometimes it's not the food as much as your dog. I never judge one dogs reaction to food with another cause dogs digestive systems are different. Not sure how much longer I will stick with Purina cause I hate the new points system. Why change a good thing! Also, like said above, I wish they would still make Hi Pro, it was perfect for most cases. JMO.

Old Post 01-17-2019 07:21 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

Dog chow

I have fed dog chow continuously since 1985
Been a member of Pro Club since 1995
I havent noticed any difference in my dogs stools
I buy all my feed at Sams Club in 57lb bags
Last week they had it for $17.99 a bag it was $3 dollars off
The new points system is great. No more saving weight circles just scan the receipt

Old Post 01-18-2019 04:35 AM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog chow

quote:
Originally posted by mike thomason
I have fed dog chow continuously since 1985
Been a member of Pro Club since 1995
I havent noticed any difference in my dogs stools
I buy all my feed at Sams Club in 57lb bags
Last week they had it for $17.99 a bag it was $3 dollars off
The new points system is great. No more saving weight circles just scan the receipt

Interesting, it was $18.99 with $3 off here in Indiana, guess they hit us with an extra buck even though we are in the heart of corn country!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 01-18-2019 01:22 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

$18.99 here also for a 57 pound bag maybe shipping from the factory is more I don't know where it is produced. I also think scanning receipts is dumb but I bet it is easier for purina. They can give all the excuses they want, I bet it boils down to a money thing for them less people to receipts than all the weight circles. If scanning receipts keeps the program going that is what I will do.

Old Post 01-19-2019 01:51 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dog chow

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
Interesting, it was $18.99 with $3 off here in Indiana, guess they hit us with an extra buck even though we are in the heart of corn country!

The Sams we usually buy from in Macon Ga is $18.99
We went to a Sams north of us about 40 miles in McDonough it was 17.99 after the $3.00 discount
Other items were also a little cheaper here also

Old Post 01-19-2019 06:35 PM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

High Ridge

I have fed Purina Saviors for several years now. But a couple months ago I noticed the dogs stools were different and runny. Look at the bag and the only thing I see different is this Probiotic on the bags now. And is has made it nasty. And the dogs were crapping more now. I switched to victor. Purple and Green bag mixed.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-19-2019 07:45 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

My dog's look and act good on it . But I pay 25 $ a bag for 57 lbs sure wish I could get it cheaper .

Old Post 01-19-2019 09:44 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jreeves
New UKC Forum Member

Dog food

After many years of feeding corn based dog food and having to shovel poop, I have found that it is, for me cheaper and easier to feed an 80% raw diet. I get 200lbs of raw meat an month and grind it up along with an high quality corn free dog food (or at least that’s what they put on the bag). My dogs hold weight no matter how many nights I hunt them. Every time I unsnap the lead they are gone. They actually out hunt me most nights. My poop shoveling has also gone down 50%. That’s always a good thing. In all I spend less than $50 a month feeding 4 hounds and 2 extremely large Pyrenees Burmese mountain dog mixed.

Old Post 01-20-2019 02:00 AM
Jreeves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jreeves Click here to Send Jreeves a Private Message Click Here to Email Jreeves Find more posts by Jreeves Add Jreeves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote