UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Question for you experienced cur/feist hunters
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wvbushwacker
UKC Forum Member

Question for you experienced cur/feist hunters

I have a cur /feist mixed about 2 years old. I have raised him from a pup. He’s only ever been in the woods by hisself. Ive taken him probably 60 trips or more and he does ok. Here’s what’s going on though. Some trees he’ll blow the top out of. Some trees he gets up on and just whines. He always stays till I get there and he’s pretty accurate. What I believe is happening is the ones he trees on real good were sight chases and the ones he just whines on he’s just using his nose. My question is will he get better at treeing using his nose as his confidence gets better? What can I do to help him along? If he has the squirrel I usually tie him back and try to get him amped up enough to bark before I shoot it out. Is this wise or should I be doing something different? Any help would be appreciated.

'PR' MachineGun Mac

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2018 06:47 PM
wvbushwacker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbushwacker Click here to Send wvbushwacker a Private Message Click Here to Email wvbushwacker Find more posts by wvbushwacker Add wvbushwacker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishbuddy
UKC Forum Member

Tie him back on the ones he does not bark on ,,, shoot the squirrel out and do not let him have them and see if he starts barking

Old Post 12-07-2018 10:16 PM
englishbuddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishbuddy Click here to Send englishbuddy a Private Message Find more posts by englishbuddy Add englishbuddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvbushwacker
UKC Forum Member

Thank you englishbuddy for the advice. I will try it and see how he does. I have another question. I want to start hunting him at night. Now I heard that it’s best to get him where I want him on squirrel before I try to start him on coon. Is this true or should I be hunting him at night also?

'PR' MachineGun Mac

Old Post 12-08-2018 01:07 AM
wvbushwacker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbushwacker Click here to Send wvbushwacker a Private Message Click Here to Email wvbushwacker Find more posts by wvbushwacker Add wvbushwacker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishbuddy
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs are ok on both squirrel and coon , some will prefer one or the other.. I have seen some that once you started them on coon go coon crazy and not want anything to do with squirrels so you might ruin your squirrel dog... Not saying it happens to all but keep an eye on your dog. We start our young dogs on a coon or 2 just so they can fight t and watch it climb but that's it... Keep us posted

Buddy Norris

Old Post 12-08-2018 02:03 PM
englishbuddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishbuddy Click here to Send englishbuddy a Private Message Find more posts by englishbuddy Add englishbuddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote