UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Burnt Out
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

Dog Burnt Out

I've got an older male that was setting the world on fire at 1.5 years old (I did not own him). For whatever reason, he got burnt out and quit treeing. Now I got him and am trying to get him back at it. He hasn't been hunted in 2.5 years. Ive been hunting him, he will get in the dark, strike, push it and tap the tree, then go on. Any ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-06-2019 10:46 AM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If he's doing all that he's not burnt out,a burnt out dog means he has quit and lost his desire, something else happened to him that you may not be aware of,and that could be several different things. Hope he comes back around for you.

Old Post 06-06-2019 04:56 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

If they got a lot of live coon out on him he may be tired of getting chewed up..

Old Post 06-06-2019 05:39 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Take him to the vet and get him tested for tick disease and a thyroid level done.

Old Post 06-06-2019 06:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

He did have heartworm when I got him but has been cured and he is back to 100%. The only thing I know is he had a ton of coon shot out to him when he was young and did get worked over by one. He will back another dog on the tree but by himself, its one or two locates and then moves on.

What are the symptoms of thyroid/tick diseases in hounds? One thing I noticed when he did back my dog on the tree was his mouth. He foamed really bad, and seemed out of breath. It wasn't hot out and he was probably barking around 70 per minute, not real fast. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Black And Tan Man on 06-06-2019 at 08:26 PM

Old Post 06-06-2019 07:03 PM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

treeing

Try to stay close (50 yds.) or so, but not too close to interfer with him working his track. When he locates a tree pin point it on Garmin, so you have a real close idea of of the tree he was on. Then, if you can tell he is leaving on Garmin, tone or LIGHTLY tap him with shock to get him back on tree(or in area). Try to find coon if at all possible, put him on tree till he gets really wound up, then give him a "coon treat". Don't always work, but may be worth a shot to save him. Worst part now is to find coon in the tree with all the leaves on. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-06-2019 08:28 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

A lot of dogs with ear issues don't want to bark up . Get his ear checked .

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 06-06-2019 09:26 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

The first thing to do is resolve all the medical issues, neg for tick diseases, clear ears, etc., too I had a dog treated about ten years ago for heart worm, after treatment she was a total idiot for a year. She finally came around, but it seemed to take forever. A dog layed up for 2 1/2 years, probably ain't gonna come back real fast. I would just haul him with my old dog and see what happens.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 06-06-2019 09:35 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Black And Tan Man
He did have heartworm when I got him but has been cured and he is back to 100%.

What are the symptoms of thyroid/tick diseases in hounds? One thing I noticed when he did back my dog on the tree was his mouth. He foamed really bad, and seemed out of breath. It wasn't hot out and he was probably barking around 70 per minute, not real fast. Any suggestions?

Heartworms damage the heart muscle. They don't come back 100%. They never tree as hard, foam at the mouth and can't take the heat.

#1 symptom of Thyroid disease and or tick disease is that they want to run/trail all night and not tree.

If your dog trees hard with another dog, then it's ears are fine.

A dog will also trail all night and tap trees when it is running a fox or coyote.

Live trap a coon and turn it loose to see what he does. If vet says he is ok then go with what Rollin Blues posted.

Old Post 06-06-2019 10:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

I checked the records, he was neg. for everything but I have not had his thyroid checked. I hunted him last night, he struck, pushed the track, located and went on. I marked the tree and saw the coon. He kept going, located, went on. Same thing, coon in the tree. Something is keeping him from wanting to tree. He was a split, hold pressure tree dog when he was young. I would like other opinions on thyroid dogs, does this sound familier?

Last edited by Black And Tan Man on 06-06-2019 at 10:18 PM

Old Post 06-06-2019 10:16 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Sometimes the way they are is just the way they are !! He might not be treeing just because he don’t like to and don’t want to !! And in that case you ain’t going to make him !! I used to like to eat lemon pie when I was young can’t stand the stuff now !!

Just sayen !

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 11:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Member of our local club had a exceptional 15 month old male. Entered him in a bigger hunt and got chewed on by a dog. Now when he hunts him he will strike, open on track but when he puts the coon up won't pull another bark. Take the garmin to walk in to the tree and the dog will be on tree looking up but not barking. Sad thing is man that owned the ill dog knew cause he had been scratched for fighting before.

Old Post 06-07-2019 05:07 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Did you hunt with him when he was on fire? Or just told that? Seems odd a dandy would be doing great then penned up for that long.

Old Post 06-07-2019 05:32 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Sometimes the way they are is just the way they are !! He might not be treeing just because he don’t like to and don’t want to !! And in that case you ain’t going to make him !! I used to like to eat lemon pie when I was young can’t stand the stuff now !!

Just sayen !

Tar

well you are finally coming around to my way of thinking tar. if all dogs could be made into goodens ! they would be goodens in ever ones yard.

Old Post 06-07-2019 05:38 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Get his ears checked for infection/fungus
Get his thyroid level checked

If all good;
turn live coon out,see what he does then.Hot coon should get him excited.He don't tree then,prob never will.

My female had super low thyroid{rocky mnt. fever;tic}.She would tree/locate every coon in woods but not stay.Got her thyroid level up to 2.5 Turned into Most accurate hound I've seen.Had her since 13 months,she's 10.5 yrs old now.I'm fussy and don't keep idiots long.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-07-2019 06:10 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the input. I will get his thyroid checked.

Old Post 06-07-2019 08:00 PM
dbender
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blaze P.
Did you hunt with him when he was on fire? Or just told that? Seems odd a dandy would be doing great then penned up for that long.

THERE YOU GO! YOU COULD SPEND A FORTUNE LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE BUT AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE YOU STILL HAVE A WORTHLESS DOG!

Old Post 06-07-2019 09:52 PM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote