UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Predicting what a dog will be
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Predicting what a dog will be

I ask this on another thread but no one really answered. I am just a coon hunter. Not a breeder. In 60 years I have raised one litter of coon hounds and that was 50 years ago. So I want to ask you guys that have been breeding your own dogs for a while: Has anyone reached a point where you could tell before the pups were born what kind of mouth, what hunt style, tree style etc. the pups would be. Have you reached a point where you could with confidence say that 70% of the pups would be good, better than average, coondogs? At least to me when I see so many pups and so few real coon dogs that it must be a very challenging task.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2020 10:15 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

On 6th generation and nope !

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2020 10:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

My limited experience in raising pups is in a good litter there is usually 1 to 3 pups born with more natural talent and or brains than the other pups and this is in a good cross for one reason or another across the board less than 10 percent really make better than average I'm talking every pup whelped in the USA combined

Old Post 01-16-2020 10:39 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Predicting what a dog will be

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I ask this on another thread but no one really answered. I am just a coon hunter. Not a breeder. In 60 years I have raised one litter of coon hounds and that was 50 years ago. So I want to ask you guys that have been breeding your own dogs for a while: Has anyone reached a point where you could tell before the pups were born what kind of mouth, what hunt style, tree style etc. the pups would be. Have you reached a point where you could with confidence say that 70% of the pups would be good, better than average, coondogs? At least to me when I see so many pups and so few real coon dogs that it must be a very challenging task.
If you read this forum and with personal experience, you can't predict what a dog will be from night to night.

Old Post 01-17-2020 01:13 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Yeah, I just wish that I could predict what my dog will do tomorrow night.

Old Post 01-17-2020 01:52 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Richard and Donald you may have just gotten to the point that was really on my mind. Nothing about coon dogs seems to be very predictable. And it doesn't seem like line breeding, breeding world champ to world champ or whatever changes that much. Certainly there are dogs that reproduce much better than average but it seems very difficult for anyone to take that even as far as the third generation. And maybe that's a good thing cause I'm not sure I would like this as much if really good dogs were a dime a dozen.

Old Post 01-17-2020 04:01 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

There's things that are more predictable than others when you know the breeding vs not. For instance lipper =more drive , rat more tree, nailor louder mouth, trackman nice locate.
This is an area I feel the walkers have an advantage over all the off breeds. Because with the off breeds the lack of #'s make it harder to figure out what line of breeding throws what traits your looking for when breeding.

Old Post 01-17-2020 02:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

When raised, started, trained and hunted a bunch out of a certain line you notice certain qualities that seem to show up over and over again. The distinct sound in mouth and way they come on a tree when they locate is the number one that seems to be carrying heavy here. There are other aspects like hunting style, natural indifference and though many are colored differently and and may have size differences muscle tone, chest depth, just a look that I notice as a characteristic.
I've listened to videos of many dogs unknown to me and know in seconds it is something out of our stuff.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-17-2020 07:29 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
There's things that are more predictable than others when you know the breeding vs not. For instance lipper =more drive , rat more tree, nailor louder mouth, trackman nice locate.
This is an area I feel the walkers have an advantage over all the off breeds. Because with the off breeds the lack of #'s make it harder to figure out what line of breeding throws what traits your looking for when breeding.

Which of those dogs is responsible for the slick treeing, aggressive, babbling, poor mouthed, hot nosed "original breed" dogs I see at the hunts?

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Last edited by CX3 on 01-17-2020 at 09:16 PM

Old Post 01-17-2020 09:12 PM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
When raised, started, trained and hunted a bunch out of a certain line you notice certain qualities that seem to show up over and over again. The distinct sound in mouth and way they come on a tree when they locate is the number one that seems to be carrying heavy here. There are other aspects like hunting style, natural indifference and though many are colored differently and and may have size differences muscle tone, chest depth, just a look that I notice as a characteristic.
I've listened to videos of many dogs unknown to me and know in seconds it is something out of our stuff.

Having owned and now own dogs out of Mafia/Shack I will say they are better across the board than any line I have had experience with and they do have things in common. Most have great locates and are good tree dogs. Many are wired pretty tight but are smart dogs. That's just my experience with the ones I've had. Everyone has had a loud mouth but not necessarily the same kind of mouth. Each one I've had was from a different mother. If I wanted another pup it's where I would go.

Old Post 01-17-2020 09:39 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

When I am ready , I just may have to make one of those Mafia Beagle crosses with these Crossbred Depression era sportsmen hounds I got. LOL and Tom is right there is no doubt they are gooduns! Tom what you need to do is DNA Preacher and Banjo to find out if they are related.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:36 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

By 9 or 10 months I can predict if the pup stays or goes...and usually younger...

Old Post 01-18-2020 04:14 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Klear Kry Kennel

Most dogs reproduce traits better than we'd like if they are the traits we don't want.
My Penney dog produces highly intelligent dogs with a very strong desire to please their owners. An unusual trait is that when her pups are laying in a truck dog box they will have their legs sticking through the bars of the door with their legs crossed at the ankles outside the box. Her pups have similar triple chop locates and treeing styles. She is the best coon treeing reproducer that I've ever owned, but they are all different as well.

There are some bloodlines that have traits that I have ZERO tolerance for and I've seen these consistently reproduced for 48 years. Finding one of these in the pedigree of a dog that your thinking of using in my breeding program is comparable finding out that your has AIDS!

Old Post 01-19-2020 07:22 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote