UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Weird Bobcat question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Weird Bobcat question

Okay I was pleasure hunting last night and had an interesting situation come up and I wondered how it would play out in a competition hunt...

I was hunting a young dog by himself and he struck and trailed about 500 yards before getting treed. Once I get to the tree I see two eyeballs looking down and almost left the tree thinking he had the meat...

Upon further inspection I realized it was a Bobcat in the tree. At first I thought it was very odd because my experience with Bobcats in the past is they are hard to keep in the tree and seem to bail out once they see a light. Also this dog has been naturally straight and has never even treed an opossum. He's also very accurate in having his coon. The way he worked the track seemed like a coon track.

Now with all that said. The tree was also a hollow and had at least two big holes in it. Is it possible he treed a coon and a cat just happened to be lounging in the tree? Also if this was a competition hunt how would this be scored? Would it just be a minus or would it be deleted or even circled since a coon could have been in the hollow?

Thanks in advance,
Coby

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2020 11:35 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Minus

Old Post 01-19-2020 11:52 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Minus unless you see a coon

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-20-2020 12:01 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Would it be plus points if a coon is seen also?

Also, have y'all ever treed a coon with a bobcat in the tree also? I asked my sted-dad and he said he had only had it happen once. He said he also treed an opossum once with a coon in a hollow.

Old Post 01-20-2020 01:06 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

I don’t think the cat would have stayed in a tree that a coon had ran out of a den. I’ve seen cats treed that didn’t go 100 yards and seen them treed or caught after running all night but in this area cats don’t seem to tolerate anything going on in the tree they have climbed.
I have seen gray fox treed with Coon and both in the same hollow tree. I have also seen several Coon treed with possums.

Old Post 01-20-2020 01:54 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

It's not that unusual for a bobcat to just set in a tree. About 20 years ago I had a dog that was silent on track and he would tree Bobcats that I would never had guessed it was a bobcat until I got to the tree. He treed a few that just sat there relaxing in the tree. He was a very accurate dog and would have some slick trees once in awhile on some longer tracks that I thought was probably bobcats that had jumped out without him knowing.

Old Post 01-20-2020 02:49 AM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Are you sure it was a bobcat and not a feral housecat? Years ago, I lived on a farm with a small cherry orchard. When the cherries were ripe, it would draw coons and housecats from miles around. They seemed to be friendly with each other. Once their bellies were full, they would play together rolling cherries around on the ground batting them back and forth to each other. Coons and cats seemed perfectly comfortable with each other...

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:14 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Are you sure it was a bobcat and not a feral housecat? Years ago, I lived on a farm with a small cherry orchard. When the cherries were ripe, it would draw coons and housecats from miles around. They seemed to be friendly with each other. Once their bellies were full, they would play together rolling cherries around on the ground batting them back and forth to each other. Coons and cats seemed perfectly comfortable with each other...

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:14 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Emily

No, I'm not sure that it wasn't a feral cat. It was rather large for a house cat but it did seem kinda docile. I did consider that it could be a feral cat though. It was hard to see its' color due to the way it was sitting in the tree. I really only got a good look at its' head and butt.

Old Post 01-20-2020 08:36 PM