UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Raising Pups
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mwilkins
UKC Forum Member

Raising Pups

My female is due to have her puppies during the first week of March. I have her in a 4' x 4' wood dog house with wheat straw in it. The projected temperatures for that week is high 40's in the day and 20's for the low at night. Will the puppies be okay without a heat lamp? If not, is it safe to put a heat lamp outside of the dog house opening shining into the dog house with the wheat straw in it? If I don't use a heat lamp, I can put a flap over the door to hold in heat.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

NITECH 'PR' Wilkins' Wipeout Oakley
'PR' Wilkins' Loud Mouth Lilly
'PR' Wilkins's Wipeout Squeekie (Deceased) (10/12/08)-(2/23/10)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-24-2020 10:00 PM
mwilkins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mwilkins Click here to Send mwilkins a Private Message Click Here to Email mwilkins Find more posts by mwilkins Add mwilkins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Pups

I also have a female due with pups 1st of March. Was going to move her into the old barn and fix her a Box with a heat lamp going down through the Top.
But it’s been real cold here lately so on her 57th day I will be moving her into the Basement where it’s warm. But someone will be home to watch her while I’m at work.
I’m going to fix some sort of a pen, put a tarp down on the floor and get a small kids swimming pool in there and let her have them in there for awhile.
I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Goodluck with your pups

Old Post 02-25-2020 03:03 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I would want a heat light on them. But straw and a heat light are a fire hazard because the light could get knocked down or the straw dug up against it.

I would take all of the straw out. Put an old piece of carpet down with a 1x4 screwed down around the outer perimeter so she couldn't scratch it up. Most females will try to dig in the bottom of the house when they are starting labor.

Then I would put a 2x4 on edge 5 inches off the floor around the wall so the mother couldn't lean up against the side of the box and smash a pup if one gets behind her.

A good way to put a heat light in a secure position is to make a 2x4 frame just big enough for the light to fit into. Cover one end with welded wire. Screw it to the corner of the house a few feet off the floor depending on the size bulb you have. Place the light inside of it. This works well in a house that has a roof that lifts but probably wouldn't be useable in one that didn't.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 02-25-2020 03:08 AM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I use heat tracing under the floor of the dog house. With a flap over the door it stays warm inside. We don't get as cold as most of the country but last winter it was below freezing the first three nights after my pups were born and they were fine.

Old Post 02-25-2020 03:27 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

If you have electric get you one of the electric heated pads for pigs.

Old Post 02-25-2020 03:49 AM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

Just be careful putting anything in the floor because most females will dig like they're going nuts just before having pups. They could possibly dig into heating pads

I was always told not to have any straw or anything else in the box for a while.

I think I would take the straw out and use the heat lamp

Old Post 02-25-2020 04:10 AM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

You should make sure to put some sort of low barrier at the opening of the dog house so the pups can't crawl out and freeze. Some females aren't the best moms for a couple of days and could miss an escaped pup while focused on the other pups.

Old Post 02-25-2020 08:37 AM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
If you have electric get you one of the electric heated pads for pigs.

I thought that was a good idea, but mine malfunctioned and caught the whelping box on fire 😡. The puppies were 8 days old and didn’t make it out. Luckily mom survived .

Old Post 02-25-2020 02:11 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pups

quote:
Originally posted by BluetickHound22
I also have a female due with pups 1st of March. Was going to move her into the old barn and fix her a Box with a heat lamp going down through the Top.
But it’s been real cold here lately so on her 57th day I will be moving her into the Basement where it’s warm. But someone will be home to watch her while I’m at work.
I’m going to fix some sort of a pen, put a tarp down on the floor and get a small kids swimming pool in there and let her have them in there for awhile.
I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Goodluck with your pups

You can use a tarp I guess but I went to a flooring place and bought linoleum remnants out of the dirt cheap sections. Got a piece for the whelping box and a piece big enough for the x-pen I have. And because the pups were on cold concrete I bought 2" thick foam board and put down, put the linoleum down over those. The linoleum flooring made clean up a lot easier.

I'd also recommend a shelling hearing pad since they're steel overlay they don't get torn up too bad.

I also recommend using a kiddy pool for the birthing for easy clean up.

I only raised a few litters and found out it wasn't for me. So good luck to y'all.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-26-2020 12:11 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Live in Michigan and have had pups in the middle of winter, never used any bedding other than carpet like mentioned. Never used anything higher than a 60 watt bulb (not led the old style). With the body heat from the female and pups it will stay surprisingly warm in there. I've always kept a thermometer on mine. Couldn't imagine how hot it would be with a heat bulb. Would think the female would get pretty uncomfortable fast. Guess all and all depends on how big your box is.

Old Post 02-26-2020 01:57 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudedog
UKC Forum Member

pup's in winter

don't use straw i found out the hard way lost a couple pup when female started digging out pup wast and carpet works fine.with a good dog house and a flap over the door pups should be fine.

Old Post 02-26-2020 02:49 AM
rudedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudedog Click here to Send rudedog a Private Message Find more posts by rudedog Add rudedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I thought that was a good idea, but mine malfunctioned and caught the whelping box on fire 😡. The puppies were 8 days old and didn’t make it out. Luckily mom survived .

Get a Good one . Kane brand.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-27-2020 07:00 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Raising Pups

quote:
Originally posted by mwilkins
My female is due to have her puppies during the first week of March. I have her in a 4' x 4' wood dog house with wheat straw in it. The projected temperatures for that week is high 40's in the day and 20's for the low at night. Will the puppies be okay without a heat lamp? If not, is it safe to put a heat lamp outside of the dog house opening shining into the dog house with the wheat straw in it? If I don't use a heat lamp, I can put a flap over the door to hold in heat.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Some straw in a decent dog house and pups with momma will be just fine. 20's is not that cold. I would not worry about additional heat sources.

Old Post 02-27-2020 07:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote