UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breaking off deer
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Breaking off deer

Starting off some young dogs 2 of them might have got on a deer. what is the best way y’all have found for breaking off deer?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-20-2019 03:09 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breaking off deer

quote:
Originally posted by wlewis323
Starting off some young dogs 2 of them might have got on a deer. what is the best way y’all have found for breaking off deer?
if they aren’t running and treeing coon yet, let them run them. Once they start treeing coon if they don’t slow down on the dee, bump them with a shocker

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 10-20-2019 04:53 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Haven't had a deer race for several years and I sure am grateful!! There's more deer around here than there ever have been but less problems with the dogs now... wondering why that is?

Old Post 10-20-2019 10:12 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

I don't screw around, I make their first experience with a deer something they don't want to do again. Make sure they are running deer then hit them hard with the shock collar. When you do it their first time I've never had to do it again. Too many times I've watched friends let them run deer several times and then it takes repeated lessons to break them.

Old Post 10-20-2019 10:59 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

If you have two pups running deer, don't hunt them together.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 10-21-2019 12:22 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martinbnt
UKC Forum Member

it depends on the pup but I wouldn't be to fast to Schock hard at all ,for mine I just did it enough to make home change his mind i would keep going like nothing happened it took about four times and he was done ,I would split them up to work on the deer if they are smart enough it shouldn't take to much

Old Post 10-21-2019 12:41 AM
Martinbnt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martinbnt Click here to Send Martinbnt a Private Message Click Here to Email Martinbnt Find more posts by Martinbnt Add Martinbnt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

Make sure u know what they are runnin b4 u get on them hard with the collar. But I don’t show them mercy with the collar if they are runnin off game. But it don’t normally take but about 2x if u transmit a supersonic charge to them.lol

Old Post 10-21-2019 02:48 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

I break them off possum alittle differently than deer. I make sure they remember the scent of a deer is a no no!

Old Post 10-21-2019 03:21 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Breaking off deer

quote:
Originally posted by wlewis323

How old are they? Do they tree their own coon yet with any consistency? Around here we usually let it go until they are treeing coons and they typically nearly break themselves. Many may disagree with this theory but a pup that can run a deer like it is tied to it with that kind of drive usually make nice dogs that can actually run a track when they are older and put it all together. You can take out what is needed when it's time but you can't put it in them. Gamey pups that are hunting and doing something right wrong or indifferent instead of standing at you feet in the right set of hands nearly always make the kind most are looking for. WAY TO MANY ARE RUINED AT A YOUNG AGE BY PEOPLE WITH A SHOCKING COLLAR WHO THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
When the time comes for breaking them, set them up by turning the youngen directly out on deer and them start to work with the e-collar. Then you are the one in control of the situation instead of left to chance. After just a time or 2 the problem is usually solved.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-21-2019 03:43 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Breaking off deer

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
How old are they? Do they tree their own coon yet with any consistency? Around here we usually let it go until they are treeing coons and they typically nearly break themselves. Many may disagree with this theory but a pup that can run a deer like it is tied to it with that kind of drive usually make nice dogs that can actually run a track when they are older and put it all together. You can take out what is needed when it's time but you can't put it in them. Gamey pups that are hunting and doing something right wrong or indifferent instead of standing at you feet in the right set of hands nearly always make the kind most are looking for. WAY TO MANY ARE RUINED AT A YOUNG AGE BY PEOPLE WITH A SHOCKING COLLAR WHO THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
When the time comes for breaking them, set them up by turning the youngen directly out on deer and them start to work with the e-collar. Then you are the one in control of the situation instead of left to chance. After just a time or 2 the problem is usually solved.

Only thing I'll add is you can destroy the desire a pup has, the "run to catch" desire most want by breaking a pup too young off of deer too soon. I've been guilty of it and so has my partner. We've started letting the pups do their own thing. And we've had some good success so far. You have to let a pup get mature enough to take a strong correction. And why I didn't specify any age is because all pups mature at different times. Not all are mature at 12 months. Some act like grown dogs at 8 months. Some don't mature until 18 months. I've seen pups out of the same litter mature at different rates, 1 at 7 months and the last at 16 months.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-21-2019 01:28 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I'm willing let young dog bump around on deer until they are treeing coon. I think it help learn to run track and pushing it instead grubbing around. Dont know if that the right way but seems work for me.

Now after dog is treeing coon I will set them up on deer and break them. But i have saw first strike dogs get tight mouth right out truck when hitting coon track if they been burned up on deer soon as they open. Also saw dogs that was burned off deer get where if they hit deer track close to truck they would come back to truck. I will let dog run 150 or 200 yard before I start bumping then start light work up until I get them stopped.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-21-2019 07:49 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cthornberry
UKC Forum Member

What about armadillos do u let that go or start breaking immediately?

Old Post 10-21-2019 08:20 PM
Cthornberry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cthornberry Click here to Send Cthornberry a Private Message Find more posts by Cthornberry Add Cthornberry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Breaking off deer

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia

I agree with most all of this post...
Back before I started breaking the pups at home from running deer I used to say this...a pup that’ll hit a deer track at 10 months of age and run it alone on a pitch black moonless night and take it out of hearing and bring it back in hearing again...well that gets my blood pumping and my adrenaline flowing...I would be totally excited over that pup because that pup is on his was to making a top hog dog in the near future...

Back then it was hard to break those super gamey pups...what worked for me in those days was to turn the pups in on a strike or turn them in on lots of fresh hog sign...once I started using a shocking system I made sure it was a deer...I also made sure the pups knew the woods was a fun place...and they absolutely knew hog was the game to bay and catch before using the shock system...

Then I got the idea to break the pups at home as 5 or 6 month old pups and it became pretty easy for me to break the pups from running deer when I started breaking them at home...

I use a cattle prod and an old deer mount...I roll up a white paper towel and tack it to the back of the mount to simulate a white deer tail flagging when the dear are running on alert...I spray deer scent on the towel and walk to kennels and visit the alpha pup first...I also make sure all pups can smell deer and I want it fresh on their minds...so I am coming in from the upwind side...

When the alpha pup comes up to smell the deer mount I bump him with mount and prod at the same time...the cattle prod is close to mount to make it seem a part of the deer...three quick bumps and taps and the the pup is trying to come out of the kennel...the other pups see how terrified the alpha pup is of that horrible deer...and they figure if the alpha is scared they need to be scared...they all get the same treatment and repeat in 3 or 4 days and again a week later but the deer doesn’t touch them and no prod on the third session...

Next time they go to the woods and you see them come out with their tails and heads down you know they smelled deer...move ahead and send them ahead...they are deer broke...breaking this way works well for me...but before breaking off of deer they know and like the woods...they know to bay and catch hogs as well...this is laying the foundation to prevent any confusion that otherwise the pups could get without the correct laying of foundation first...

After a few deer encounters the pups will know to ignore the deer and all will be ok...

Old Post 10-22-2019 02:53 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

If a young dog runs a deer I watch my garmin to see how fast they are running after the deer if they can run a deer fast they can move a coon track fast too.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 10-23-2019 03:47 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote