UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Fungal infection
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Fungal infection

Got a hound with a ear fungal infection. What will get rid of it? I've had him to the vet multiple times and it never goes away. He is pitiful looking right now as the fungus is itching him from within and I've tried everything. Tar gave me a mixture and it helps some but doesn't ever get rid of it completely. Help please!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-14-2019 07:53 PM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Don't laugh but get monistat douches for women yeast infections from your drug store or Wally world.

Old Post 09-14-2019 08:58 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 09-14-2019 09:07 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Sometimes the sulfur will kill it and so will BluCote spray.
Womens yeast infection cream or athletes foot medication look for the active ingredient miconazole. You may also think about switching dog foods and see if that helps.
For reoccurring infections that are fungal in nature ask your vet about antifungal pills like fluconazole.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-14-2019 10:01 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

mix 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 pure white vinegar
apply daily when you feed
has worked for me for years
have cured the toughest ear canker cases...old vet gave me the recipe after trying for months to cure a case that kept coming back

I hung in there and treated the dog every day for a couple of months but it never came back

Old Post 09-14-2019 11:00 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin Pruemer
UKC Forum Member

Go to dog supply vendors and check out earsolve !

Ph# 217-925-5543 or Email pruemkevin42@hotmail.com

We accept cash,check,or money order

Thanks for your business

Old Post 09-15-2019 12:47 AM
Kevin Pruemer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Pruemer Click here to Send Kevin Pruemer a Private Message Click Here to Email Kevin Pruemer Find more posts by Kevin Pruemer Add Kevin Pruemer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks guys- I've tried switching feeds and I feed good feeds. I will try some of this that I haven't and see if we can get him looking better.

Old Post 09-15-2019 01:37 AM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

When you switched feeds ,look to make sure brewers yeast is not listed in the ingredients. This is one of the main culprits.
There could still be another additive or ingredient causing it. People can disagree but it is usually caused by an allergy. It could even be straw or hay bedding.Treating the problem is fine. It will keep reoccurring unless you find the cause.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 09-15-2019 02:19 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Use a cheaper dog food...one of my dogs had ear issues until I swapped dog food

Old Post 09-15-2019 07:15 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Try

Give him a Benadryl pill every day. If it helps, then it is most likely an allergy.
I had a dog that always had ear issues until I figured out it was "wheat" that he was allergic to. Switched him to a corn base food (Dog Chow) and stopped bedding with wheat straw. Problem solved.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 09-16-2019 04:51 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If it is a "fungal" infection, you have to kill the fungus. If it is an allergic reaction, then worry about what is causing the allergic reaction. It sounds like you have already determined that it is a fungal infection so use one or a couple of what has been suggested. They are all good and will work.

Old Post 09-16-2019 01:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If it is a "fungal" infection, you have to kill the fungus. If it is an allergic reaction, then worry about what is causing the allergic reaction. It sounds like you have already determined that it is a fungal infection so use one or a couple of what has been suggested. They are all good and will work.

You are right . But then you have to find the cause of the recurring fungus.
Maybe the term allergic is the wrong term. But allergic is an individuals intolerance to certain things. Namely … Certain grains .That causes excessive fungi growth on the skin.
Yeast infections (are fungal) of the skin are caused by yeast-like fungi called candida. They occur when yeast on the skin grows more actively and causes a red, scaling, itchy rash on the skin.
The fungus grows best in a warm, moist environment .
What is causing the excessive fungi growth?
I mentioned Brewers yeast in dog food.
I know from personal experience that there are some dogs that had ear infections that never came back after switching to feeds that were brewers yeast free.
Wheat as some one else mentioned is one of the next ingredients.
Believe it or not high protein low grain diets can also cause fungal growth.
Here is a link that has a lot of information .
Little more than you need but read through it . It is very helpful.Scroll down to "GRAINS and "EFFECTS OF GRAIN "

And for kicks make sure to read the " DISCUSSION " and "CONCLUSION" sections.

https://digitalcommons.library.umai...;context=honors

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 09-16-2019 at 04:34 PM

Old Post 09-16-2019 04:17 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Sorry but I am having a problem understanding just how something that a dog eats can cause a fungal infection in their ears. I tried to read that article but I didn't see or maybe just didn't understand it.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 09-16-2019 at 05:00 PM

Old Post 09-16-2019 04:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Here, the following is more precisely copied and pasted from this article and another article below . Hope this explains it better showing the correlation of how diet can cause yeast infections ...…..

Many dogs have been seen to have allergies to the feed they eat, and in some
cases grains are often associated with the allergy responses or sensitivities seen in the dog
(Stokes, 2011). Most dogs that have been allergic to grains in the feed have exhibited
some skin issues. Signs of an allergic reaction have resulted in “pruritus (itchiness),
eczema (dry skin), and skin appearing red and tender” (McNamara, 2006, pg. 203).
When having an allergic reaction, dogs scratch and bite at the sensitive spots on the body,
inflaming the area being bitten or scratched (McNamara, 2006, pg. 203).
Grains have been used as an energy source in feed, but can sometimes, act as an allergen

Nevertheless, grain has been shown to have many beneficial effects on the
gastrointestinal system, especially improving the gastrointestinal health of dogs that have
kidney disease (Hill, 2012). “Fermentable fiber encourages colonic bacterial
multiplication; however, a source of ammonium nitrogen is [needed] for bacteria to
grow” (Hill, 2012). The nitrogen sources come from dietary proteins that escape from
the small intestinal digestion, endogenous proteins, shed intestinal mucosal cells, and the
blood urea that moves across the intestines with water movement (Hill, 2012).

https://www.dogzhealth.com/canine-yeast-infections/

Like all yeasts, Candida albicans strives on sugars, including those from grains, starches, and other carbohydrates. Fortunately, the digestive tracts of healthy dogs also have “good friendly” bacteria (such as Lactobacillus acidophilus) that metabolize sugars. These good bacteria help keep candida in check by disrupting its food supply.

Like all parasites, the candida yeast is opportunistic and, with the right environment, will overgrow and strive.
If, for some reason, there is a shortage of friendly bacteria(ME, go back to first article and read how certain grains encourage good bacteria growth) in the dog’s body, it will provide a sugar-rich environment for candida to get a strong foothold.
If left unchecked, candida morphs from a single cell organism into a multi-celled fungus (called rhizoid) that literally grows roots and penetrates the intestinal wall.

Basically, anything that tips the balance of healthy intestinal flora (bacteria and yeasts) in the GI tract can lead to the development of canine yeast infections.

Problems with a dog’s diet can also lead to canine yeast infections. For example, a diet rich in sugar (such as a grain-based diet or excessive sugary treats) will increase sugar levels in the digestive tract. The sugars provide food for candida to grow and multiply. Insufficient probiotics and digestive enzymes in the diet can also lead to yeast infections in dogs.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-16-2019 05:44 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That article talks about yeast growth or overgrowth in a dogs digestive system. I still don't understand how that correlates with a fungal infection in their ears? I am still confused.

Old Post 09-16-2019 05:51 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

copied and pasted from same article...

https://www.dogzhealth.com/canine-yeast-infections/

Symptoms of Canine Yeast Infections

Itchy ears

a lot of symptoms are similar to those of canine allergies

very often, a case of dog yeast infection is misdiagnosed as something else. Sometimes, this can exacerbate the yeast problem.

thinking that the dog has allergies, a vet may prescribe steroids to alleviate the allergy-like symptoms. But as mentioned above, strong medications such as steroids can cause an imbalanced pH and will upset the balance of bacteria and yeasts in the digestive tract.

This further worsens the yeast overgrowth problem. Once the yeast overgrowth is out of control, it begins to produce toxins that further degrade the dog’s health.

Conventional treatment of yeast infections in dogs involves the use of anti-fungal medications to clear up the infections and related symptoms. Very often, such kind of treatment is not too effective and in the long run may even worsen the conditions.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-16-2019 05:56 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
That article talks about yeast growth or overgrowth in a dogs digestive system. I still don't understand how that correlates with a fungal infection in their ears? I am still confused.

LOL .I can't make it any more simple.
The over growth is caused by an upset balance in the dogs gut from what it's diet is or maybe even a hereditary intolerance to certain foods just like humans.
Because it can't digest or metabolize some foods properly it causes an over growth of bacteria causing candida in the gut that ...… "leaks into the dogs body parts." (Maybe this is what you aren't understanding")
The ears are a perfect spot as well as in female dogs the reproductive tract. The same as humans. Except humans don't have those nice deep warm ear canals like dogs.

Here . If a person eats something they are intolerant to what happens?
They swell up, cough, get hives ,etc.

If they ate it ,why do they swell up or get hives all over their body ?
Because it went into their gut got absorbed and spread throughout their body.

Same as the bacteria causing candida . And it settles in the ear canal . A perfect host to grow and multiply.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 09-16-2019 at 07:50 PM

Old Post 09-16-2019 06:04 PM
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Pat

What do you recommend I do doc? I've switched feeds 3 or 4 times. I've tried antibiotics and steroids and I've poured every elixir I can find in his ears. Some store bought and some good ole boys solutions. Vets around here just want to do the antibiotic/steroid route and it doesn't seem to work. I want the dog to find some relief and get back to his slick self, but I'm at a loss for how to help him.

Old Post 09-17-2019 12:36 AM
Pat Bizich
Banned

I am sending you a pm

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-17-2019 06:46 PM