UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What determines the time of night coon stir?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bk1977
UKC Forum Member

What determines the time of night coon stir?

Im sure this has been discussed over and over. I have been hunting a lot recently, over the last month Ive seen it gradually get later. Im told by friends with buckets out, 3am is the major traffic time here in central WV. I have paid close attention at times, thought I had it figured out, only to discover that my research lacked staying power. Are these patterns regional, controlled by the moon, temperature, seasonal ? I have seen it change gradually, also seen it change quickly. Looking for not only how, but why? Thanks for your input in advance?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-17-2019 04:59 AM
bk1977 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1977 Click here to Send bk1977 a Private Message Click Here to Email bk1977 Find more posts by bk1977 Add bk1977 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tsbtater
UKC Forum Member

Get ready to hear 100 theories..... and here's one

You're on the right track as far as the "prime time" gradually shifting nightly IMO. Around these parts the moon seems to be the biggest factor most of the year. It's rise and set times gradually shift every night and the phase is continually changing.

There are times like when they are feeding heavy in fall or feeding and tending to young that the moon goes out the window but most of the time it seems the coon set their watches by the moon.

I also believe a guy can tree just as many coon during the day as at night in the summer around here.

Old Post 07-17-2019 06:22 AM
tsbtater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tsbtater Click here to Send tsbtater a Private Message Click Here to Email tsbtater Find more posts by tsbtater Add tsbtater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Everyday has two major and two minor feed times. When the moon is straight up and straight down that is the major times and when it is just rising and just going down. That is the minor times. Changes about an hour everyday. Throw in weather fronts moving in because the animals can feel the barametric changes. Weather has a big affect on movement.
Your Garmin GPS Handhelds have feed times on them and they are pretty accurate.

Old Post 07-17-2019 11:43 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Why couldn't it be something as simple as they feed when they get hungry... plenty of food get a little longer nap!.... but maybe that's not scientific enough...lol

Last edited by 2ol2hunt on 07-17-2019 at 02:28 PM

Old Post 07-17-2019 02:26 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

When they want to move. I have tried to keep track of a ton of factors, such as moon phase, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure,and I have never seen one correlation. In addition, what I think it should be a great night, it actually usually isn't a good night.

Hence, the answer, when they want to move.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-17-2019 09:34 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

I believe if you hunt the same woods often at the same time, they will change their patterns to avoid you. Overall, I don't believe anybody can ever figure out when they move best. You can go out on what seems like a perfect night and not find squat or a seemingly terrible night and find them everywhere. An old timer once told me there is a coon ready to be treed out there somewhere at any time, you just have to find him, so go whenever you can.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 07-17-2019 11:12 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Get ya a hound with a lot of Nailor in it. It’ll be so loud the coon will have to stir.

Old Post 07-17-2019 11:54 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I sure don't have many answers on this subject but I do believe barometric pressure plays a big role.

It has been my experience that any time I'm traveling to go hunting and 1 hour before dark I see deer standing in every other field I drive past, coon are gonna be moving real well on those same nights. Not sure what causes it, but I do know that when I see deer moving all over the place just before dark, that coon are gonna be moving all over the place just after dark.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 07-18-2019 12:41 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I knew a man that hunted deer at night. He had about 20 cows. When he went out if the cows were lying down he went back inside. If the were walking around feeding he went hunting. And why is it on some nights you hear owls everywhere and some nights you don't hear any?

Old Post 07-18-2019 12:50 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Barometric pressure

I've noticed that if the pressure drops below 30.00 inches it just seems like the dogs can't smell. I'm not a weather man either but I can only guess the air gets so heavy the scent gets affected some way but I dont know.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 07-18-2019 01:35 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Around here it's about to get so hot that they'll come down in early evening and go to water. Especially sows with kittens. I always figured the heat got them out of their dens. Seems like they'll stir again at some point in the wee hours.

Old Post 07-18-2019 03:21 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Around here it's about to get so hot that they'll come down in early evening and go to water. Especially sows with kittens. I always figured the heat got them out of their dens. Seems like they'll stir again at some point in the wee hours.

That's way it is around here every year. Tree em right at dark this time of year if you can stand heat. Then be moving good again in early morning hours. Same every year at this time. Just wish they was as easy figure out rest of year.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 07-18-2019 04:32 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1977
UKC Forum Member

good stuff

I agree with about all of this, I saw two coons this evening about 8pm looking for deer, figured them thirsty. They are also moving here 4am or so. I too believe the barometer has a lot to do with it, have found the same issues tracking below 30. I have not paid much attention to the feeding times on the garmin, but will start tomorrow. I have never tried hunting them in the day time, but I would try it. My great Uncle said he always hunted in the daytime when it was blistering cold with good results. As I said,I have tried to keep track of everything at times, cant just get my finger on it. thanks again for the info

Old Post 07-19-2019 04:18 AM
bk1977 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1977 Click here to Send bk1977 a Private Message Click Here to Email bk1977 Find more posts by bk1977 Add bk1977 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Off hand I'd say the coon determine when they feed; I have seen them at all hours of the day moving, but that doesn't mean they are moving in your hunting spots. I do know that if I'm packing a descent hound, if I'll keep dumping him we will eventually tree some coon.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 07-20-2019 12:36 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Stomach.

Old Post 07-20-2019 03:23 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

I hunted this one woods at dark and never got a bark,turned back loose in there 5 hours later a treed 4 in one tree 20 feet in the woods,the woods I guide cast in I wont turn a dog in for a month and you will see a difference on the scores most of the time and coon seen.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 07-21-2019 03:32 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

As usual, I am with Bruce. I have studied solunar tables and how it affects calling success since the early '90s. It sure is a lot easier to call a critter when he is up hunting for food than one resting. Same is true when hunting my hounds, like to hunt when they are up feeding or right after an active time.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 07-21-2019 03:51 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote