UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young people
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mrburneisen
UKC Forum Member

losing places to hunt

It's not just coon hunters losing land to leased property, it's other deer hunters who are not wealthy losing out as well. I grew up hunting squirrels and deer, I got into this hound thing later in life. I watched all of the timber companies in Western PA lease out their land to private clubs, and lost pretty much everywhere I could go hunt deer and squirrel except public land. When the opportunity came to move to NC I tried to find a place to live with the most public land as possible to guarantee my sons would be able to hunt. I'm not a wealthy man, and since I don't waste money on lottery tickets I will never be one, but I'll have hounds as long as the Lord is willing. That being said, I could probably give the coons on game lands here names because we probably run the same 5 coons over and over again all season. My 3rd grade son asked me last night when we could go on a night hunt again, that to me is more rewarding than any set of antlers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-28-2018 07:16 PM
mrburneisen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrburneisen Click here to Send mrburneisen a Private Message Click Here to Email mrburneisen Find more posts by mrburneisen Add mrburneisen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Re: losing places to hunt

quote:
Originally posted by mrburneisen
It's not just coon hunters losing land to leased property, it's other deer hunters who are not wealthy losing out as well. I grew up hunting squirrels and deer, I got into this hound thing later in life. I watched all of the timber companies in Western PA lease out their land to private clubs, and lost pretty much everywhere I could go hunt deer and squirrel except public land. When the opportunity came to move to NC I tried to find a place to live with the most public land as possible to guarantee my sons would be able to hunt. I'm not a wealthy man, and since I don't waste money on lottery tickets I will never be one, but I'll have hounds as long as the Lord is willing. That being said, I could probably give the coons on game lands here names because we probably run the same 5 coons over and over again all season. My 3rd grade son asked me last night when we could go on a night hunt again, that to me is more rewarding than any set of antlers.

Where in NC are you located? I live in central NC, pretty much all I have to hunt these days is gamelands.

Old Post 08-28-2018 08:34 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrburneisen
UKC Forum Member

McDowell County

I'm in McDowell County just east of asheville with lots of game lands north of me. There are a lot of coon & bear hunters here. I sometimes ask my wife if its my hounds barkin, our neighbor tim's hounds, or the hounds on up the road. My direct neighbor has tried to recruit me to go to VA to hunt deer on a lease, but little does he know I've seen deer run between my hound pen and his hog pen. I can't imagine how much money he wastes going up there. Last year on the last day of deer rifle season my wife talked me into going deer hunting. She grew up in PA and really likes deer meat. (the last day of rifle season was the only day you could take a doe with a rifle in the Pisgah National Forest) so to appease her I said I'd go deer hunting, and as luck would have it I shot a buck. Now I never in a million years would have gone hunting up the hollar I shot that buck in, but I saw deer tracks there when I was out with my dogs just before bear season closed. I also cheated a little bit because we had fresh snow, and when you mix a yankee with fresh snow and a 30-06 back straps are for dinner! I spent 50+ days in the woods last year and only 1 of those days did I leave dogs at home at the request of my wife.

Old Post 08-28-2018 08:57 PM
mrburneisen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrburneisen Click here to Send mrburneisen a Private Message Click Here to Email mrburneisen Find more posts by mrburneisen Add mrburneisen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote