UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > McGinnis Blue BoJack
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
davemc
UKC Forum Member

McGinnis Blue BoJack

I decided to log BoJacks hunts for the rest of training season, and kill season. BoJack is a young hound that has no trouble getting under a coon. He is a tight mouth track dog, a good chop mouth tree dog. He did chew some when I was hunting him this summer. He didn't chew on big trees, but would peel the bark in ash trees and small soft pines. He would never stop barking for more the 10 to 15 seconds. I did work on him some and he was not doing it as much. Since it has cooled of he has almost stopped Chewing completely. He has a good mouth and is a very good tree dog. His biggest fault right know is his hunting speed out of the gate. I am happy to say he is improving, But still has a long ways to go. When I first started hunting him, He would hunt good if you cut him down the edge of a wood line or a hedgerow, or ditch. When you cut him in the timber he would hunt in 50 to 100 yard circles. You cant get on him hard. if you try to put a switch to his butt he will lay down on his belly. I have had good luck with just a stern pointing of the finger and telling him to get his butt out there, and its working pretty good. This is a young hound with a ton of potential. He is bred to reproduce, and I am sure he will. I have only hunted him one time with another dog, and he did hunt much better, and split of by himself with a coon. I will be hunting him solo 95% of the time, if not 100%. At the end of the season I will decide if he stays here or ends up somewhere else. If he doesn't stay its not that he isn't a nice hound. It just means he is not what I am looking for. I will post his pedigree below.

……………..GR.NT.CH.Double Springs Echo II
………..GR.NT.CH. Double springs Bodacious
……………..GR.NT.CH.GR.CH. Razor Ridge Pop A Dot
……CH.GR.NT.CH.Goodsons Rowdy Bocephus
…………….GR.NT.CH.GR.CH. Smiley’s Rambo II
………..CH.GR.NT.CH. Davis’s White River Salin Sadie
…………….GR.NT.CH. Davis’s White River Suger
GR.NT.CH. Praire Creek blue Botox
------FCH GR.NT.CH.GR,CH. Vining Runnin Bullet
………..PR. Baird’s Blue Beau
……………GR.NT.CH.GR.CH. Mullins Eagle Creek Rockie
……GR.NT.CH. Praire Creek Blue Joise
……………GR.NT.CH. Smokey River Blue Fred
………..PR. Bairds Blue Sue Girl
……………PR.Welch’s Blue angle

McGinnis Blue BoJack

…………..GR.NT.CH.Meads Super Jet 6
……….NT.CH. Quinn Southern Blue Thunder
…………..GR.NT.CH.Souix Valley Fly II
….GR.NT.CH. Tucker;s Blue Boomer
…………..GR.NT.CH.Northern Blue Jet IV
………PR Christian’s Blue Gretchen
…………..NT.CH. Bad Lands Blue Lady II
GR.NT.CH. GR.CH. ILL. Smokey River Bobbie
…………..CH.GR.NT.CH. Slife’s Blue Rambo
……….GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.Smiley’s Blue Rambo II
…………..CH.GR.NT.CH. Smiley’s Misti Blue
…..GR.NT.CH,CH. Davis’s white River Salin Sadie
………….NT.CH.Smokey River JBS Chief
……..GR.NT.CH.Davis’s White river suger
…………NT.CH.Nixons Wolf Creek Pebbles

Last edited by davemc on 10-15-2019 at 11:05 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-15-2019 03:21 PM
davemc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davemc Click here to Send davemc a Private Message Find more posts by davemc Add davemc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

last nights hunt. I turn Bojack lose. He messed around close for a minute or two then went 300 yards west. He cut to the north and did a big u back to me. When he got 40 yards from me I turn my light on him and give he a shout to get back out. He did a 360 and headed north at a good pace. at 300 yards he opened twice. He cut west anther 300 yards and hit a tree with a dozen week locates. then peeled west 350 yards give one big locate and rolled over to a hard chop. when I got to him he was treed on a big hemlock. I was able to see the coon. We headed back to the truck that was 825 yards from us. 2nd drop moon was full and it was very bright out. I cut lose BoJack, He went 350 yards to the south then cut 250 yards west. located on a tree 7 or 8 times came down off the tree did a big 100 yard circle and came back to the same tree located twice and rolled over to a steady chop. He was treed on a Big beach Den tree. We headed back to the truck and called it a night.

Old Post 10-15-2019 11:22 PM
davemc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davemc Click here to Send davemc a Private Message Find more posts by davemc Add davemc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Enjoy your hunt log hope you continue posting good luck with him and btw how old is your hound? Thanks

Old Post 10-16-2019 12:00 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davemc
UKC Forum Member

BoJack

BoJack is two years old. I am looking forward to putting his 1st hard kill season on him. He has not been hunted hard yet, but the next couple of months he will be in the timber as much as possible. My biggest problem here is the short season. Your season opens oct. 25. 3 weeks after that Gun Deer season opens. then the snow sets in. I don't hunt hounds during deer season. This is a BIG!! Deer hunting area. I have a lot of spots to hunt, But the easiest way to lose those spots is to make the Deer hunters mad. I give them the woods for their Deer hunting time. That gives me the rest of the year. As hunters we need to give each other a little respect, or we are all the big losers!

Old Post 10-16-2019 12:09 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

last nites hunt

I hunted off the side by side last night. 1st drop cut boJack into woods at the end of a corn field. Its a big block with several hemlock swaps in it. Bojack left pretty good, By no means did he through gravel in my face, But he went hunting right away. He went 300 yards west, then cut 250 yards north. The Garmin showed him checking trees along the way, as well as doing a lot of zigs and loops. This area is all swaps and hemlocks. He cut back to the east, out of the woods into the corn field he come up south threw the corn and back in to me. I walked to the south about 50 yards and told the dog to hunt him up. He went 300 yards south into a beach woods opened twice located and rolled over to a steady chop. It was a Big beach tree full of leaves. We had 3 frost in a row this week and are leaves are comin off. The beach trees are tuff, they hang onto the leaves for along time. It took a while but I did find the coon. We went back to the wheeler. and went to another spot. I cut bojack to the west into a hard woods He went 125 yards and opened about 15 times in the same area. He did this for about 5 minutes giving half hearted locates. I made the mistake of moving in. He was treeing in the air, and bouncing off 3 trees in the same small area. When he seen me he rolled up on a small pine tree. The moon is full and my light was off going into him. I put the lead on him and checked the tree over. In a hunt it would have been a 0 tree, But I was 99.9% sure it was slick. He was trying to wind a lay up and just couldn't get it done. 3rd drop I cut north up a lane way into the woods. He opened twice at about 75 yards. He peeled east anther 50 yards and come down hard with a single located and rolled it over to a hard every breath chop. When I got to him he was on a tree that was surrounded by multiflowered rose bushes on the edge of a bean field. I cut back about 50 yards and went into the bean field. I seen the coon. I walked up to the tree, and this side was worse then the other side. I went back around and had to get on my hands and knees to get threw the thorns. I was thankful I only had to go about 10 to 15 feet to get to the tree. We came out the same way I went in. I had enough and called it a night.

Last edited by davemc on 10-16-2019 at 01:01 PM

Old Post 10-16-2019 12:57 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Rain and wind

I have not hunted the last two nights Its rained all day and all night, with high winds. Good news is leaves are coming off fast.

Old Post 10-18-2019 10:08 AM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

made 2 drops 1st drop BoJack was winding as soon as I took him out of the box. I cut him lose in the open field. He cut to the edge of the woods, run west along the edge of woods 400 yards. then cut straight back toward me about 200 yards. He cut south into the woods and fell treed. He treed on a small ash tree with a small coon hanging on about 15 feet up. Job well done. 2nd drop I cut BoJack into the timber. He cut back out and hit the field. He went 600 yards toward the road. He was about 200 yards from the road, and toned him. He was back at my feet in short order. I put the lead on him and walked him into the woods about 100 yards and cut him lose. He went 350 yards north then about 200 yards west. opened twice. He worked around the same small area for about 15 minutes and ended up treed half hearted on a big beach tree. No coon found. It could have been their, Or inside. But he sure didn't tree like he had it. I got a late start and the frost was already down. I called it a night

Last edited by davemc on 10-19-2019 at 10:58 PM

Old Post 10-19-2019 12:11 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Bojack

Sounds like he's making a nice hound,thanks for posting looking forward to your hunting season.....

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:42 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

What a difference a few days make. We have had two more hard frost as well as 3 days a nights of 20 to 40 mile hr. winds. The leaves are 3 inches deep in the woods and the foliage is about 1/2 or less. I made two drops last night and seen both coon on the way into the tree. 1st drop I cut Bojack to the west into the wind. He went 200yards then cut south and went another 600 yards. He looped back to the north about 100 yards deeper then the way in. He come back to the north about 250 yards. then cut west opened 2 times and treed about a minute later about 100 yards from where he opened. I had eased in a little, and the Garmin showed him treed at 683 yards. When I got to the tree he was treed on a small pine that went into a cherry tree. It was very easy to find the coon. 70 % of leaves had fallen from the tree. 2nd drop Cut BoJack west into the wind again. He went 250 yards then cut south 375 yards. He came back east 250 yards and fell treed. I was able to drive wheeler 50 yards from him. I could see the coon as soon as I started to him. I got to the tree put the lead on him Give him a few pats on the side. I looked for the coon again and had a hard time finding him. I backed up to where I came in an got his eyes. He was in the only spot on the tree that was still heavy with leaves. Once I new the spot he was hiding in I was able to see his whole big fat body. I am watching my to grand daughter's in Am, ages 2 and 1. so I called it a night.

Old Post 10-24-2019 12:52 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Fri. hunt

It was opening night of season. I made four drops, and made four den trees. This is only the 3rd time that I have hunted BoJack, And have not treed a coon on the out side. 1st drop he opened twice on the ground worked the same area for about 10 minutes, marked two trees with a single locate. He went another 300 yards and picked on a tree checked it 4 or 5 times, and settled in to stay. I walked off the den about 100 yards and cut him to the east. He worked along a small creek about 400 yards, off the creek into a big beach woods. He worked a small area about 250 by 300 yards back and forth. He came back out of the beach woods down the creek another 200 yards and fell treed. another den. 3rd drop I cut BoJack into the wind he went 200 yards and fell treed. Den. I walked 50 yards of the den, and recut him. It took him 20 minutes to go about 450 yards. The Garmin showed that he was checking a lot trees. He opened on the wood twice ,went another 200 yards and treed. another den tree. The leaves in the woods are about ankle deep, and he just couldn't get the tracks moving good. I called it a night. I wont be hunting BoJack Sat. Night. Going to take one of my females out.

Old Post 10-27-2019 12:41 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Mondays hunt

I hunted BoJack. The dog did better than the handler/ trainer. 1st drop Cut into the hard woods. He worked a small area for about 2 minutes and fell treed 80 yards from me . It was a leaner that went into a broken off large hollow cherry tree. I walked him off the tree about 25 yards and recut him. BoJack has never went back to the same tree, but this time he did. I went back and walked him to the same spot and recut him. he went out about 50 yards and did a big u back to the same tree. This time I broke off a switch and let him know that this was not going to be allowed. I walked him about 40 yards this time. When I cut him he would not go hunting. When I tried to get him to go he just laid down on his belly. I put the lead on him and walked him to a cut corn field. I cut him toward the woods, and he went in about 50 yards and started to come back out. I went to him and told him to get hunting. He ran in to a swampy area and just stood there. I started to him and was knee deep in mud and water in two steps. I called for him but he wouldn't move an inch. I nicked him with shocker and he was at my feet in about 3 seconds. I give him a few pats on the side and went back out to the field. I walked another 50 yards and recut him. He went 25 yards turned around and stood there looking at me. I had had enough. I put my lead strap in my hand and headed toward him as fast as this broken old body of mine can move. He must have seen and felt my anger. He took of and was 200 yards out in about a minute hunting again. He went 300 yards the cut back towards me again. I was thinking to myself dog you better not come back in. He came back about 100 yards then looped to the west another 450 yards. He opened on the ground at about 475 yards. he went another 120 yards back to the east, and opened two more times. then he came back 100 yards toward me and came down hard on a tree. It was only a minute or two from the time he got struck to the time he treed. Garmin showed him treed at 490 yards. I went to him seen the coon. I give him a lot of that a boys and rolled the coon out. As I walked back to the truck I was trying to decide if I should turn him lose again, or take him home. When I got back to the truck I give a good buddy of mine a call for his opinion. He thought it would be best to take him home on a good note. This would also give the handler time to cool off. This dog is 100% tone broke to come to you when toned. I should have toned him when he went back to the tree. My mistake. The bottom line is that for what ever reason, you can not get on this hound. I don't know if its something in the past that happened to him, or if he is just that temperamental.

Last edited by davemc on 10-30-2019 at 01:19 PM

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:14 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Young dog

Thanks for the post, sometimes young animals teach us new things as much as we try to help them,about his past it's just that behind him,I wouldnt give it another thought ,but now you know leave the limb and touch the button you'll both figure it out.thanks for the post good hunting to ya!

Old Post 10-30-2019 03:19 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

Last nights hunt. I hunted of wheeler last night. I had a short window before the rain was going to arrive. 1st drop I cut BoJack in to a hard woods. He tiptoed of the lead, But as soon as he got out about 10 or 15 feet he left pretty good. He opened on a tree with two barks at 190 yards. He went 30 more yards give two locates and rolled it over. The Garmin showed him treed at 223 yards. I went to him, he had the coon and I rolled it out. BoJack is a hound that is all over it when it hits the ground, But as soon as it is dead he could care less about it. He is ready to go get the next one. 2nd drop. I drove the wheeler along a cut corn field next to the woods about 500 yards from the 1st drop. I cut BoJack in to the hard woods, and he left good. I sat in the seat of the side by side and listened while taking a peak at the Garmin on and off. BoJack went left to the west 300 yards, then cut south another 200 yards. He worked a small area for about 10 minutes checking several trees. He cut out from the area that he was working went 150 yards south west and fell treed. Garmin had him at 423 yards from me. I went to him he was treed on a cherry tree that was tided into a small pine. He had the coon. There was a tree stand about 10 yards from where he was treed. I have permission to hunt where he was treed, But I left this one to be treed on another day. I wanted to get in and out with as little commotion as posable. The deer hunters house is about 600 yards north east from the tree. I went back to the wheeler and drove to the other end of the corn field. I cut BoJack to the south into the hard woods. This time he left on the run. He went 200 yards, and again worked a small area checking trees. He cut to the west and went 400 yards and was checking trees. In a few minutes he fell treed. I was able to drive the wheeler 90 yards from him. I went in and he was treed on a large ash tree covered with grape vines. The tree was slick. I seen two coon up wind in the same tree about 4 trees over. Plain and simple he missed by a few trees. It had been raining lightly for 30 minutes and the rain was stating to get harder. By the time I got back to the truck and got the wheeler loaded on to the trailer it was coming down hard. Soaked and fairly pleased with my hunt I called it a night.

Last edited by davemc on 10-31-2019 at 01:24 PM

Old Post 10-31-2019 01:11 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Thursday we had 30 to 60 mile an hr. winds. I had a family event Friday. I Was looking forward to hunting Saturday. Our crossbow season opened, So I Deer hunted till Dark. On my way out of woods it started to rain. I was hoping to wait out the rain and get out. By ten the rain had turned to snow. i went to bed at midnight and we had an inch or better of heavy wet snow. Lots of wind ,hard rain ,and now snow. It hasn't been much of a season so far.

Old Post 11-03-2019 06:05 AM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

I picked up BoJacks and Matties pups last night From Pat. These pups are Gorgeous. Pat owns Mattie,and raised the pups. I cant thank Pat enough for the wonderful Job he did raising the pups. I will be drooping some pups off in Grove City Pa on Thursday 11/14. I have had some people that wanted a pup said they would send a deposit, and never did. So I do have 1 female left. as well as 3 Males. It would be hard to find any nicer looking pups. It was almost 10 by the time I got back from Pats.I unloaded pups and grabed Bojack. I droped BoJack to the south he went two hundard yards and fell treed. He had the coon and I rolled it out. I walked a bout 50 yards and recut him. He went 150 yards south and cut west 200 yards and opened twice in a swamp. he messed around in the swamp for a few minutes. BoJack threw two locates and rolled it over to a hard chop. He was treed on a large Hemlock on the edge of the swamp. I couldn't find the coon , but it could have ben there. I called it a night.
Thanks Dave Ph NU 585 727 0643

Last edited by davemc on 11-06-2019 at 06:40 AM

Old Post 11-05-2019 11:25 AM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Bo jack

Sounds like your having fun with your hound and enjoying your time in the woods and that's very important to have a good time! Thanks for the post !

Old Post 11-05-2019 02:03 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

hunt

I hunted two of my females last night. It wasn't pretty. They fell treed on a slick in the grape vines. Treed a den. Last drop almost a mile away with out a bark. I toned them back in. I thought it would be a prefect night, We had about 5 inches of snow that had melted off in the last couple of days. No wind, 34 degrees, so still you could hear a pin drop. The Garmin did show them checking trees. I called one of my buddies to see how he was doing. He had treed one on the out side, a half mile from where he cut lose. I called it a night.

Old Post 11-07-2019 11:32 AM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

weather

We got hammered with snow, and down to 12 degrees tonight. Hasn't been much of a coon season so far.

Old Post 11-12-2019 10:36 PM
davemc
UKC Forum Member

Season

Deer season opens here tomorrow. Coon hounds will be on vacation. While the Deer hunters get their time in the woods. NY needs to consider opening coon season 6 weeks sooner than they do !!!!

Old Post 11-15-2019 10:53 AM