UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > For Breeders ( Discussion)
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

For Breeders ( Discussion)

Went back and read a article by a man that was a remarkable family( line bred) breeder and here were some of his notes, thought I would pass them along. I have found everything he said thru the years to be true.

Quotes: It is almost impossible to breed anything that have allot of different genes in them.

Genes that affect your look and performance go back mostly to 4 generations. Try and lock the 4 generations.

Intelligent Selection is the name of the game.

Environment is 50%.( wow!)

Most families are ruined by adding a new blood or by making a bad choice in the ones you breed back.

The ones you choose to breed back, without allot of mixed up genes to deal with you will see the good characteristics passed on to the next generation.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2015 03:06 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

Very interesting points, I have seen hunters make a cross of very good coondogs (unrelated hounds) and say "well if this cross don't make coondogs nothing will", and usually it didn't work.....
Genetics is something that is hard to predict, but linebreeding with 2 individual hounds that operate similar in the woods give you a better chance for success. jmo

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 02-07-2015 04:25 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: For Breeders ( Discussion)

"The ones you choose to breed back, without allot of mixed up genes to deal with you will see the good characteristics passed on to the next generation."

You will also see all the bad characteristics passed on as well. Most dogs have more bad characteristics than good. Close bloodlines also are a big factor in health issues. You didn't see near the health problems 30 yrs ago as you do today because of all the out crosses (hybed vigor). When you look at some of the dogs winningest dogs of the past, they were from random crosses. Then because of the demand of pups from that dog usally a line is develpoed. Because of the mass amount of pups on the ground from that dog it may be considered a good reproducer, but usally never produces a dog that is as good or better than it was. JMO

Old Post 02-07-2015 07:07 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Wannabe breeders and brood bitches are the problem. Mostly crossing the flavor of the day with a set of papers.

Old Post 02-07-2015 07:22 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
glynnsdawgs63
UKC Forum Member

What is wrong with a brood bitch?in the 50's,60's and early 70's
Many hound breeder/hunters kept females strictly for breeding and were not hunted.They said they were worth more in the breeding pen.Look at your old peds most females in older peds were never titled .A few were pleasure dogs or hide dogs at best.

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238
www.tellsblueticks.webs.com

Old Post 02-07-2015 07:54 PM
glynnsdawgs63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glynnsdawgs63 Click here to Send glynnsdawgs63 a Private Message Visit glynnsdawgs63's homepage! Find more posts by glynnsdawgs63 Add glynnsdawgs63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

If people just breed what they are planning to hunt and cull instead of pawning them off we would be better of instead of tryin to get rich and famous off of a dog its silly to me.

Old Post 02-07-2015 09:26 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by glynnsdawgs63
What is wrong with a brood bitch?in the 50's,60's and early 70's
Many hound breeder/hunters kept females strictly for breeding and were not hunted.They said they were worth more in the breeding pen.Look at your old peds most females in older peds were never titled .A few were pleasure dogs or hide dogs at best.

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238

Whats wrong? How do you match traits other than color if'n you don't hunt them?
If you look at a hound bred for big game, Few are titled.

Last edited by Stan Ferrell on 02-07-2015 at 10:31 PM

Old Post 02-07-2015 10:28 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
glynnsdawgs63
UKC Forum Member

I hunt all my females on bear or coon and they have to prove themselves more so than a stud dog before I consider even breeding her.
I posted my last comment because truthfully many of our old breeders kept non hunting brood females.

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238

Old Post 02-07-2015 10:58 PM
glynnsdawgs63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for glynnsdawgs63 Click here to Send glynnsdawgs63 a Private Message Visit glynnsdawgs63's homepage! Find more posts by glynnsdawgs63 Add glynnsdawgs63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

BROOD FEMALES

THERE WERE BROOD FEMALES BRED BY THE OLD BREEDERS SOME GOOD PUPS SOME BAD PUPS THERES BROOD FEMALES IN A LOT OF BREEDERS PENS NOW DAYS ALSO...BUT LET ME ASK THIS ,,HOW MANY FEMALES NOW DAYS ARE BRED THAT ARE BEING HUNTED EVERYNIGHT THAT LOOK GOOD,AWSOME,WORTH A MILLION WITH ANOTHER DOG BUT CANT BEGIN TO TREE A COON BY THERE SELVES THEM KIND ARE WORTHLESS TO ME ..BUT THE OWNERS TAKE THEM AND PUMP THEM UP WITH THE FAVORITE DOG OF THE MONTH AND EXPECT BIG THINGS FROM THE PUPS.ALL YA GET FROM THAT KINDA CROSS IS ANOTHER LITTER OF PUPS.IF BREEDERS WOULD BE TRUTHFUL TO THERE SELVES AND WHAT CALIBUR OF HOUND THEY HAVE DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE BREEDING ,THERE WOULD BE A BETTER PERCENTAGE OF BETTER PUPS AROUND. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION,,,HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 02-07-2015 11:51 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Alright lets stay on target
If you say no to the first topic, then please tell me your experience how many generations did it take till it went bad?
Hear say drives me crazy, almost everything that I hear(negative) about line breeding or inbreeding is false to what I have seen threw the years.
In 30 plus years of traveling and talking to cattlemen, hound men, Goat breeders, feist breeders and lots of gamecock breeders(best at keeping family lines) The good ones all tell me the same, if your going to keep a good consistent product you must keep it tight.Out crosses become something else.

Old Post 02-08-2015 12:33 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

LINE BREEDING

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

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 02-08-2015 01:12 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I made a cross once whole litter made top dogs made the same cross again same dog same female whole litter was worthless I don't think there are ever any guarantees

Old Post 02-08-2015 01:39 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hunter todd elk
UKC Forum Member

Keeping a line tight works great until its so tight you have to outcross, From some of the comments up here that outcrossed litters are worthless, I guarantee if yal knew the accurate ped on the dogs yal feed you would be amazed, it takes all kinds to make a team you don't see a team of baseball player with 9 pitchers..

If you were given a dog and it turned out to be one of the best hounds you ever had that always put fire in your heart and a smile on your face I bet 50% would come from brood gyps, once again it takes a variety to make a team, its not all or none..

Last edited by hunter todd elk on 02-08-2015 at 02:31 AM

Old Post 02-08-2015 02:20 AM
hunter todd elk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hunter todd elk Click here to Send hunter todd elk a Private Message Find more posts by hunter todd elk Add hunter todd elk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I made a cross once whole litter made top dogs made the same cross again same dog same female whole litter was worthless I don't think there are ever any guarantees

I saw the same thing once with English dogs.
The cross was on Bluegrass Amos x A direct daughter of Woodstock Redman,first litter was fantastic, second litter 1 dog made a goodun'.
That is why I always question "proven crosses".

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Last edited by Mike Van Dusen on 02-08-2015 at 04:32 AM

Old Post 02-08-2015 03:42 AM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

I line breed quite extensively. When I see an opportunity to outcross for a needed trait or to something similar but stronger in a particular area, I watch the average of the littler. If the littler as a whole keeps the traits of my line or improves in some area then I blend some of it back into more of the same line. If not then I call that a wash and leave out that addition in the future. If you take that outcross and outcross again, you can loose what you started with very quickly. One thing everyone considering breeding coondogs should know, and I guarantee this, the easiest thing to loose is a good mouth. If you want one, you better protect it at every turn.

Old Post 02-08-2015 04:25 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Again we are not saying it is the only way, if you want to produce coonhounds, the majority breed coonhound to coonhound and you will get some coonhounds.
We are talking about a family line that only has certain traits, and you know what they look like, sound like, trail like etc...
You know there characteristics.
At one time I was raising allot of good pups out of my females and decided to go and buy more females "same blood lines" but not my line, bred to my males. I only knew a 1/3 of the puppies they were different, not the same, did not have the smarts that I bred for.
Learned a hard expensive lesson, I could produce pups but not whole litters, like I was used to on a smaller scale with only my linebred dogs.Thankfully I was able to keep my line.
Where do you think most of the ole great lines have gone?
They get famous get outcrossed and fade into the big ocean.
We are talking about a family line here, not making a single dog that can tree a coon.
Brookshire, clover, finley river, skuna river, lone pine, Dave Dean, yadkin river etc.....

Old Post 02-08-2015 01:37 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I have learned several expensive lessons I have a dog I am watching right now bred just like my dogs a coon treeing machine a world ch but I am going to wait and see what he reproduces first before I breed to many people jump to a dog when they win a big hunt before they see what they are going to reproduce I learned that lesson the hard way

Old Post 02-08-2015 02:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

Around 1990 I bred a Lipper daughter to a Lipper son they were out of different Line of females . They had similar mouth nose hunting style etc . From that cross(6) 3 of the females made NTCH one of the males was stolen but was a nice hound another male was killed and I don't know what became of the other . I bred one of the females to Mark Whatleys New Moon which was distantly related but had similar traits and he also came from a very strong litter . From that cross of 6 pups we got 2 NTCH females and at that time the youngest dual grand male ever . I think the key to that success is we were line breeding dogs of similar traits that also came from strong litters . I was told a dog only produces the average of his/her littermates along with line breeding seems to be the way to go . Of Course we didn't make any money we mostly placed dogs with hunters .Lol Ive never made money in this sport , Someone is cause Im spending a ton . There is a local dog in my area that should be a great reproducer and that would be Josh Howards Train . He comes from an entire litter of Coon Dogs if someone had a close related female from a good litter that cross would be a safe bet

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 02-08-2015 03:48 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR

In 30 plus years of traveling and talking to cattlemen, hound men, Goat breeders, feist breeders and lots of gamecock breeders(best at keeping family lines) The good ones all tell me the same, if your going to keep a good consistent product you must keep it tight.Out crosses become something else. [/B]

Thats comparing apples to oranges cattlemen are breeding for marbling in the meat or milk production Goat breeders are mostly for showing its easy to breed dogs for show in a whloe litter after breeding show dog to show dog just a few times and get consistantcy in the whole litter. Gamecocks are bred for fighting. But for hunting dogs they have to be bred for so many more traits. For comp dogs its more complex, what won in the 70's and 80's more then likely would just be a common dog today or less.

Old Post 02-08-2015 05:37 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Conrad Frayar, I respect your comments and opion please don't take my comments wrong.

Old Post 02-08-2015 05:39 PM
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Nobody culls dogs anymore thats the problem just pass em on and ol so n so breeds junk then that gets passed on. people want to make money dumb people spend it. dont take junk to a stud dog people if its junk cull! If your tryin to make money on dogs sell puggles or something if you want a top hound breed for it with dogs YOU have hunted with and are consistant not a wow tree dog that cant track or whats worse yet all these show dogs dang people thats a joke!

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:05 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Hey I'm all about discussion, you won't see me get mad.
I hear that all the time about cattle and so on being different but I myself do not believe that to be true, I have bred all the above that we talked about and each one has it's own area's that need to be worked on but you go about the breeding process the same way.
I see no difference at all? Yes coonhounds may have more traits but the breeding process to close the traits is the same.

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:25 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Hey I'm all about discussion, you won't see me get mad.
I hear that all the time about cattle and so on being different but I myself do not believe that to be true, I have bred all the above that we talked about and each one has it's own area's that need to be worked on but you go about the breeding process the same way.
I see no difference at all? Yes coonhounds may have more traits but the breeding process to close the traits is the same.

Cattle can be scientifically graded on rate of gain, calving ease, milk production, etc. Hounds cannot be scientifically graded, Only graded on preferences and yours are different from mine.

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:36 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Hunts used to have an impact on me , not any more.
I breed for Smarts, Balance, Bawl mouth,Smarts( i hate a dumb dog) and Looks. I have to like to hear them and like how they hunt and like how they look. Picky I guess, Lol my wife say's she is glad she was not one of my hounds.

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:42 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Can we breed for these traits? Yes or no?
1) Big hunt
2) Bawl mouth
3)Track Speed
4)Looks
5) Smarts

Old Post 02-08-2015 06:48 PM