UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > keeping weight on (hunting hard)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TREE BLITZIN
UKC Forum Member

keeping weight on (hunting hard)

I have a young male bluetick (19months) that I've been pouring the hunting to. The problem is trying to keep weight on him he looks poor.I had him to the vets and he tested free of all worms and parasites. Im feeding about 6-8 cups of good feed a day plus been giving him this stuff I found on the internet for working dogs called satin balls they consist of raw hamburger oatmeal wheatgerm rice and several.other high fat and protien ingrdients but still having a hard time kepping the weight on but he is looking some what better. What do you guys suggest?

(GRNTCH GRCH PR BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST X PR PEARLY BLUE ROAST)
home of :
SON'S N.B. CASH (THE NATURAL)
(GRNTCH N.B. DANCERS SON X NTCH PR CHOPPIN CHEDDAR RAE)
Co owned with Ron Casey

2ND PLACE REGISTERED BBCHA PURINA HUNT AT 8 MONTHS OLD

BABY STAKES CAST WINNER
//////////////////////////////////////

WHERE COONDOGS ARE BORN NOT MADE

I COME FROM A LONG LINE OF SINNERS LIKE ME

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-09-2011 09:12 PM
TREE BLITZIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE BLITZIN Click here to Send TREE BLITZIN a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE BLITZIN Find more posts by TREE BLITZIN Add TREE BLITZIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ohme
UKC Forum Member

i had the same problem and switch to diamond extreme athlete a few days ago and already seeing a differnce and some dogs need to be fed twice a day or full feed when hunted really hard.

Old Post 03-09-2011 09:57 PM
ohme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ohme Click here to Send ohme a Private Message Click Here to Email ohme Find more posts by ohme Add ohme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

get a product called dyne it is about 40 bucks a gal but dogs love it and they will gain weight on it even during hard hunting... a gal will last one dog a pretty good while

Old Post 03-09-2011 10:35 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahinsch
UKC Forum Member

If it's good feed he doesn't need 6-8 cups a day, switch him over to diamond extreme athlete.

Old Post 03-09-2011 10:37 PM
ahinsch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahinsch Click here to Send ahinsch a Private Message Click Here to Email ahinsch Find more posts by ahinsch Add ahinsch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

i have never seen a fat marthon runner.

Old Post 03-09-2011 10:40 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

you could try beef tallow from any butcher shop......cheap and puts weight on em. they sell it in big chunks and i cut it in slices about an inch thick. i also would try high standard dog food in the purple bag,dogs look good on it and might need to feed between 2-3 cups a day and even the hard hunted ones look good.

Old Post 03-09-2011 11:09 PM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoryHamby22
UKC Forum Member

weight

What about a picky eater that wont eat dry dog food. Tried several, wont hardly even eat can food. We keep her on purina moist and meaty, as thats all she likes. Any suggestions??

Old Post 03-09-2011 11:11 PM
CoryHamby22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoryHamby22 Click here to Send CoryHamby22 a Private Message Click Here to Email CoryHamby22 Find more posts by CoryHamby22 Add CoryHamby22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

Re: weight

quote:
Originally posted by CoryHamby22
What about a picky eater that wont eat dry dog food. Tried several, wont hardly even eat can food. We keep her on purina moist and meaty, as thats all she likes. Any suggestions??

when i was young i ate fast food everyday after school
went to work picked up the old lady ate it again
never put on weight now i drive by the old lady
puts on 10lbs

Old Post 03-09-2011 11:22 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverview2
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I had a dog like that drove me nuts! I spent all kinds of $$ trying all kinds of stuff like everyone suggested. I think sure it works for some dogs and not for others. As long as the vet checked blood and stool samples and everything is A OK maybe just free feed them a high energy quality food. My dog gain weight until I neutered him @ 4yrs old. Like stated earlier marathon runners are skinny. Good luck

lesliadkins@live.com

Old Post 03-09-2011 11:25 PM
Riverview2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverview2 Click here to Send Riverview2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Riverview2 Find more posts by Riverview2 Add Riverview2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gottabered
UKC Forum Member

quote:
they will eat what ya put in front of them and like when they get hungry enough

Old Post 03-09-2011 11:41 PM
gottabered is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gottabered Click here to Send gottabered a Private Message Click Here to Email gottabered Find more posts by gottabered Add gottabered to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

quote:
try the dyne its a high calorie suplement (150 caloties an oz.) and dogs love it lamberts vet supply has it for 39.95 a gal. just dont forget and leave it where the dogs can get to it because they will eat jug and all lol... it also seems to give a picky eater a better appitite

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:04 AM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knox
UKC Forum Member

Weight...............

Try the Diamond Extreme Athelete, very good feed.
I just bought a couple of bags of Native Level 4, WOW, you talk about putting the weight on, I only feed 2 cups a day, and hunt about 4 nights a week.........This is VERY GOOD feed, a little pricey ( $75.00 for 2 bags ).....But it is 35/32 Protein and Fat...............................Tim

=====================

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:06 AM
Knox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Knox Click here to Send Knox a Private Message Click Here to Email Knox Find more posts by Knox Add Knox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE BLITZIN
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticking: it
i have never seen a fat marthon runner.

I hear ya there I.like one thin and in prime shape this one looks a little to bony for me I've been feeding the purina one and proplan mixed. Is the diamond extreme athlete that much better?

home of :
Co owned with Ron Casey

BABY STAKES CAST WINNER

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:26 AM
TREE BLITZIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE BLITZIN Click here to Send TREE BLITZIN a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE BLITZIN Find more posts by TREE BLITZIN Add TREE BLITZIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BUCKEYE BILLY
UKC Forum Member

Re: keeping weight on (hunting hard)

quote:
Originally posted by TREE BLITZIN
I have a young male bluetick (19months) that I've been pouring the hunting to. The problem is trying to keep weight on him he looks poor.I had him to the vets and he tested free of all worms and parasites. Im feeding about 6-8 cups of good feed a day plus been giving him this stuff I found on the internet for working dogs called satin balls they consist of raw hamburger oatmeal wheatgerm rice and several.other high fat and protien ingrdients but still having a hard time kepping the weight on but he is looking some what better. What do you guys suggest?

don't get carried away JAY with all that stuff. worm him good the right way. then to put weight on him fast feed him baked potato cooled off ofcoarse with his normal daily feeding.

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:47 AM
BUCKEYE BILLY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BUCKEYE BILLY Click here to Send BUCKEYE BILLY a Private Message Click Here to Email BUCKEYE BILLY Find more posts by BUCKEYE BILLY Add BUCKEYE BILLY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DROPTINE
UKC Forum Member

RICE

COOK SOME PLAIN WHITE RICE A CUP WILL BE PLENTY AND MIX IT IN WITH HIS DRY FOOD RICE IS ALSO GREAT FOR BITCHES THAT ARE NURSING IT WILL PUT THE WEIGHT ON PRETTY FAST PROTIEN IN THE WHOLE GRAIN RICE BUY IT AT ANY GROCERY STORE

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:53 AM
DROPTINE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DROPTINE Click here to Send DROPTINE a Private Message Find more posts by DROPTINE Add DROPTINE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DROPTINE
UKC Forum Member

RETRIEVER

I LIKE TO FEED RETRIEVER HIGH PROTIEN THAT TRACTOR SUPPLY SELLS ITS $21 FOR 50 LB AND 27%PROTIEN BEEN USING FOR A YEAR NOW AND NO PROBLEMS BUT I BACK OFF ON THE HIGH PROTIEN IN THE SUMMER WHE I DONT HUNT AS MUCH

Old Post 03-10-2011 12:57 AM
DROPTINE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DROPTINE Click here to Send DROPTINE a Private Message Find more posts by DROPTINE Add DROPTINE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chiggers
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: weight

quote:
Originally posted by blueticking: it
when i was young i ate fast food everyday after school
went to work picked up the old lady ate it again
never put on weight now i drive by the old lady
puts on 10lbs

When you was young they didnt have fast food.

Old Post 03-10-2011 01:20 AM
Chiggers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chiggers Click here to Send Chiggers a Private Message Click Here to Email Chiggers Find more posts by Chiggers Add Chiggers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveburch
UKC Forum Member

Feed

If he want improve on full feed at all times then he maybe just a slim kind of hound.Got to be the right feed.

Old Post 03-10-2011 01:32 AM
steveburch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveburch Click here to Send steveburch a Private Message Find more posts by steveburch Add steveburch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RonBrown
UKC Forum Member

keeping weight on

a cheaper fix to help your dog food is to get a bag of powdered goats milk. It's thirty percent fat content and it works for everything from pups up. Just sprinkle a little on your feed or mix it with water to soak your feed. Anyway it works for us and a bag will go along way.

Old Post 03-10-2011 02:14 AM
RonBrown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RonBrown Click here to Send RonBrown a Private Message Click Here to Email RonBrown Find more posts by RonBrown Add RonBrown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

My house hound stays slender...not underweight by any means, but sometimes looks a little bonier than I prefer. I'm beginning to think that's just his build. I fed him satin balls every single day for several months...it helped a good bit. He's a bit of a picky eater as well, so now I alternate between satin balls and boiled chicken and rice to layer over his Diamond Extreme Athlete so he eats a little better. I haven't had him on EA that long, so we'll see how that works out. Feeding EA alone (no other add-in's) has really helped put weight and keep it on one of my Walker females that is slender built as well.

Here are some other things I've used on dogs that have been sick and need to gain weight, etc-Yogurt or cottage cheese. Some dogs seem to improve when some of the "good bacteria" is put back into their system. There's a product at TSC called ProBios that works for this as well, but I generally just add a spoonful or two of the yogurt or cottage cheese to my dogs' feed every day. I've made concoctions of bread that was getting a little hard along with peanut butter, melted lard, and a little molasses. Bacon grease over their feed. A lot of times just left over things at the house. Definitely nothing you want to feed a lot of for a long time, but it has helped me put weight on dogs before.

Sorry if that was a bit more disorganized and rambling than normal, I'm doing two things at once, LOL...

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 03-10-2011 02:16 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris McCrary
UKC Forum Member

I have one that was hard to put weight on. Just built like that. I went back to EA and it has done wonders for me. Went from 6 cups to 4 now cutting back to 3 since its warming up.

Old Post 03-10-2011 04:20 PM
Chris McCrary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris McCrary Click here to Send Chris McCrary a Private Message Find more posts by Chris McCrary Add Chris McCrary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

I just feed the Diamond High Energy and if I am hunting real hard I sprinkle a little Uni milk on it. Words great for me. I have my pup on Diamond puppy and sprinkle a little uni milk on it and they do real well on it. They don't get so mud fat and gulp so much down to have the real big belly. They just stay in real good healthy state with energy to burn. with real good mescel tone.
I feed the big dogs 4 cups a day with about a teaspoon of powder on theres. I feed the 8 weak old pup all he will eat 3 times a day. I will drop back to 2 times a day around 12 weaks.

I get the Uni Milk at Tractor Supply for around 20 bucks and it lasts several months with 2 grown dogs and a pup.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Last edited by Okie Dawg on 03-10-2011 at 05:02 PM

Old Post 03-10-2011 04:57 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE BLITZIN
UKC Forum Member

I bought some of the frozen meat bil-jac that I'm adding to his food also he seems to be keeping some of.the weight on I'll give it a week or two on this system and see how he responds

home of :
Co owned with Ron Casey

BABY STAKES CAST WINNER

Old Post 03-10-2011 07:03 PM
cwest
UKC Forum Member

tripe

most butchers give it away i feed mine all year and they winter well gives them a super shine and energy

Old Post 03-10-2011 07:49 PM
cwest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cwest Click here to Send cwest a Private Message Click Here to Email cwest Find more posts by cwest Add cwest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote