UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A question to discuss over the holidays with your buddies
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

A question to discuss over the holidays with your buddies

We see post on here about reproducing males and females. We must have them to get good pups,but it takes a dog man to bring the cream to the top.

Question

Who is the best trainer/hunter you know of that can take most any pup and get it to perform?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-25-2015 02:09 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Bobby Burden the best ive ever seen and has taught me more than he realizes. Its like he can read a dogs mind and tell what the dogs next move is before his problem comes to show. every action causes a reaction and he knows what that dogs reaction will be

Old Post 11-25-2015 10:11 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Here is another question to discuss..... Does the trainer make the pup or does the pup make the trainer?

Old Post 11-25-2015 03:14 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

The dogs that need to be bred are the Naturals.

A dog that you expose to coon, than turn loose until it either makes it or it dont.

That being said, pup trainers are good pup trainers because they are patient. Even a pup that has a lot of natural talent takes a lot a fortitude. Seems like if I like a pup early I give it every chance in the world, but if a pup gets on my nerves as a baby I am not nearly as patient with it.

Randy Steadman and Robert Williams are two of the best

Old Post 11-25-2015 03:30 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Training

I think it is and must be a two way product, the Trainee must be trainable, and the trainer must have knowledge about what he's doing enough to know what has to be taught, the trainer must be Honest about his expectations and he must know what those expectations are . Both must have Desire and without it you will never do anything positive !

Ray Hudson

Old Post 11-25-2015 04:03 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My husband Cheyenne Cummings he would never brag on himself so I will do it for him .
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-25-2015 04:25 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Thirs more to it than just starting a pup. I feel like anyone can start a pup. Its the finishing that makes a trainer. Ive seen lots of pups that would get so screwed up with guys that dont have a clue. most pups hit a stage were they start to go backwards thats were the trainer comes into fect. I do believe a real trainer can train a cat to tree coons!! Even though the cat might not do it in style it will still get it done!!

Old Post 11-25-2015 07:20 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timberchuck
UKC Forum Member

From an old timer.

This is just my opinion after 50 years and a lot of good times and bad with these wonderful hounds. I don't train a dog, I'm their coach. An animal trainer uses a whip and chair to train them to do something they were not bred for. A houndsman uses common sense to bring a dog along to the point where he no longer needs coaching but simply hunted hard and his genes will exeed your ability to coach. When he makes the big league you can sit back and enjoy the ride. Good breeding is half the battle though. Good luck young fella and stick with it.

Old Post 11-25-2015 08:30 PM
timberchuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timberchuck Click here to Send timberchuck a Private Message Click Here to Email timberchuck Find more posts by timberchuck Add timberchuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Thirs more to it than just starting a pup. I feel like anyone can start a pup. Its the finishing that makes a trainer. Ive seen lots of pups that would get so screwed up with guys that dont have a clue. most pups hit a stage were they start to go backwards thats were the trainer comes into fect. I do believe a real trainer can train a cat to tree coons!! Even though the cat might not do it in style it will still get it done!!
how do most deal with a young dog taking a step back

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 11-25-2015 09:53 PM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I don't like to argue over the Holidays lol

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 11-26-2015 12:07 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I have one thats needs the best trainer I can afford. Cause by gosh I cant get it done. I need him trained to stay hooked period. I need him trained to not run bears, deer, bobcat, possums. Who wants to show me their skills?

Old Post 11-26-2015 12:22 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tree_reddg 47
UKC Forum Member

Jason

He is right about a pup getting into a slump and figuring out what to do to get it wired out , a lot of patients that's for sure , and I believe most of the one I have trained from a pup goes through this slump and u learn some from other exsperiences from others u trained , but patients is the most important step ....

Old Post 11-26-2015 01:02 AM
tree_reddg 47 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tree_reddg 47 Click here to Send tree_reddg 47 a Private Message Find more posts by tree_reddg 47 Add tree_reddg 47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

There is one other part of the equation that is getting overlooked...trainer or dog, both must have the place with coons to do it. When I was younger I lived in a neighborhood and only had public hunting areas to train and hunt my dogs. Now I have my own private hunting areas that I own. A lot gets done to keep plenty of coons around and me and the dogs can go out and work anytime I want, as much as I want. That has made things a lot easier and more productive than the way things were. If I had to go back and do it the old way I'd quit.

Old Post 11-26-2015 05:19 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dawgg03
how do most deal with a young dog taking a step back

Everybody deals with it in their own way, a trainer deals with it with paitence and common sence were a average trainer may end up makeing matters worse then the next thing u know its on here for sale with major problems

Old Post 11-26-2015 07:32 AM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss

Yup starting pups is easy, finishing not so much

Old Post 11-26-2015 10:02 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Mueller
UKC Forum Member

Everyone who has trained one outta know about this slump. I've had one dog that didn't have this problem. But I hunted this dog once a week maybe twice till he was 3. Not saying he wouldn't have a bad nt. Just never found that slump. I've found its better to leave the youngster in the pen on bad nts when u know your old dog would have trouble treeing a coon. Certain times of the year here in Missouri Jan Feb March it better be dark and warm before I'm taking out a good started pup. I messed up the first 2 dogs I owned hunting the hair off them. They listened good but would start to stand on there head. It took a long time to get the one back on track and sold the other one. Both were automatic at a young age. Went to a big pkc hunt one time had a guy tell me that he had hunted his dog eighteen nts in a row. I thought to myself I hope I draw him cause he's bound to take a nt off. The next time I seen that guy he said his dog was messing up bad. For instance in my line of work the most work gets done before 10 in the morn. After that u can't wait to relax. Happy turkey day

Grnitech pr" Crow Creek Hillbilly Hammer
Grnitech pr" Crow Creek Tree Rockin Ruby
Ntch grch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Harley Jr
Ntch ch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Blaster
Ntch ch pr Crow Creek Hillbilly Holly

Old Post 11-26-2015 11:27 AM
Joe Mueller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Mueller Click here to Send Joe Mueller a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Mueller Find more posts by Joe Mueller Add Joe Mueller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richard boyd
UKC Forum Member

So let me get this straight. If I have a pup that can run and tree an easy coon [hot track] starting out and then as it get older and hunted more and starts working these older more rougher tracks and starts missing [slick treeing ] it's trainers fault? Can you tell me how that it's trainers fault that pup can't figure it out? Ive always herd that if you expose it to coons if it's in him it will come out naturally!!!!

Old Post 11-26-2015 01:24 PM
richard boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richard boyd Click here to Send richard boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email richard boyd Find more posts by richard boyd Add richard boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: A question to discuss over the holidays with your buddies

Question

Who is the best trainer/hunter you know of that can take most any pup and get it to perform? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know a single person that is a good trainer from pup to finished dog. I do know a pretty good team one guy starts the pups and once he gets them treeing pretty regular his kennel buddy takes them and finishes them out.

Old Post 11-26-2015 02:12 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Starting/training a pup in those thick easy coons with good tracks is sure a lot easier. But where is the "fun" in that? Starting and training one in thin coons and old cold feeder tracks is a challenge and a lot more "fun". And when you are through, you know that you have a coonhound. They have to work through their mistakes to learn. Last night was a perfect night to work on a young hound....cold clear bright as day moonlit night. How many took their young dog out and how many left him/her home because "it was too tough for a young dog"?

Old Post 11-26-2015 02:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Last night wasnt cold here. It was a good night minus the moon. I hauled two one yr olds who have treed several coons alone and treed 2 and caught one on the ground. Its late december through febuary when i start leaveing mine at the house. Or when it gets 20 degrees or colder

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:09 PM
Bruce M. Conkey

Question for all you guys that go through this.

1. Don't we all take the first few steps with our pups about the same way. From there it gets complicated.
Don't we all depending on our conditions, time of year and coon population expose a pup to either a dead coon, a coon tail, a hot coon track or a coon in a cage. Some a hot dog or two.
Now these pups depending on the owner are different ages and have different levels of obedience training already give to them. Some none at all and some a lot.
Up until we expose that dog to some type of training involving a coon we don't have a clue what we are dealing with. Kind of like you having a gun but from the outside you don't know if its a 22 or high powered rifle. If it shoots straight or could hit someone standing beside you.
Once you expose the dog to a coon and once you shoot and identify what type of gun you have. You can then figure out how to handle it. What you can and cannot do with it.
Every pup is different and I would say the most important thing in training is reading the dog you have and understand just what it needs or doesn't need to develop. How fast to you bring it along and how hard do you hunt it? The dog will tell you if you look deep into its soul.
Say your the best dog trainer in the world. Today you write down exactly how you trained your world champion. Ten years from now you drag out your instructions and try them on another young dog. They don't work unless you make modifications to fit the situation. The dogs genetics have changed, your age and how you carry yourself has changed. Your hunting ground has changed. Sometimes for the better but most times for the worse.
Some guys are better at it than others, some are better in business at a higher level than others while some are better workers than the ones running the business.
You have to develop skills and in business and in life the most important thing is listening. That is true in dog training, listen to what your dog is telling you about what it needs to become a coonhound. Some just opportunity while some a boot in the behind. If you have time to give them opportunity and you wear boots and not afraid to use them your headed in the right direction. Just remember to listen a little along the way.

Last edited by on 11-26-2015 at 03:19 PM

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:15 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by richard boyd
So let me get this straight. If I have a pup that can run and tree an easy coon [hot track] starting out and then as it get older and hunted more and starts working these older more rougher tracks and starts missing [slick treeing ] it's trainers fault? Can you tell me how that it's trainers fault that pup can't figure it out? Ive always herd that if you expose it to coons if it's in him it will come out naturally!!!!

That depends on a few things. What did the trainer or starter do while starting the young dog. Did he correct the mistakes the pup made or just look over them and say hes just a pup? Did he pet him up on these slick trees during the summer months when no coon was found but he thought he could be their im just not seeing it? did he kill all them hot track coons to him which in my personal opinion are bad coons to give to a dog that is treeing coons consistent. To a pup thats just getting started i dont mind. You wanna dog that can grub up a track hes got to learn to use his nose and this is one thing i beleive has alot to do with the way hes bred. Id say 80/20 on that aspect. But can be worked on too i beleive. Until u have hunted many nights with a real dog man u dont really understand what a dog can be really do and you will think its all the way their bred but im here to tell you ive seen it!!!

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:19 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Conkey, very well said. But you might add that the really good trainers modify their style/techniques to fit the pup and the others just keep going through pups until they find one that fits their technigue/style of training.
And you are right that the same applies to business/employers and also to athletic coaches.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-26-2015 at 03:25 PM

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:22 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
Question for all you guys that go through this.

1. Don't we all take the first few steps with our pups about the same way. From there it gets complicated.
Don't we all depending on our conditions, time of year and coon population expose a pup to either a dead coon, a coon tail, a hot coon track or a coon in a cage. Some a hot dog or two.
Now these pups depending on the owner are different ages and have different levels of obedience training already give to them. Some none at all and some a lot.
Up until we expose that dog to some type of training involving a coon we don't have a clue what we are dealing with. Kind of like you having a gun but from the outside you don't know if its a 22 or high powered rifle. If it shoots straight or could hit someone standing beside you.
Once you expose the dog to a coon and once you shoot and identify what type of gun you have. You can then figure out how to handle it. What you can and cannot do with it.
Every pup is different and I would say the most important thing in training is reading the dog you have and understand just what it needs or doesn't need to develop. How fast to you bring it along and how hard do you hunt it? The dog will tell you if you look deep into its soul.
Say your the best dog trainer in the world. Today you write down exactly how you trained your world champion. Ten years from now you drag out your instructions and try them on another young dog. They don't work unless you make modifications to fit the situation. The dogs genetics have changed, your age and how you carry yourself has changed. Your hunting ground has changed. Sometimes for the better but most times for the worse.
Some guys are better at it than others, some are better in business at a higher level than others while some are better workers than the ones running the business.
You have to develop skills and in business and in life the most important thing is listening. That is true in dog training, listen to what your dog is telling you about what it needs to become a coonhound. Some just opportunity while some a boot in the behind. If you have time to give them opportunity and you wear boots and not afraid to use them your headed in the right direction. Just remember to listen a little along the way.

That sums it up!! Very well put

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:22 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That Conkey guy sure has a way with words doesn't he?

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:26 PM