UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Just when you think you have seen it all!!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
msinc
Banned

Just when you think you have seen it all!!!

I returned this afternoon from a hunting trip. My three dogs haven't been out of the kennel for 5 days, so first thing I did was take a knee with each one and then go for a happy run around the farm. We get to my feed plot and jump a flock of turkeys. 40 birds scatter and fly off in different directions. One of my dogs decides to slink off into the woods. Sure enough she opens and runs a track.
This dog is normally pretty straight so I didn't have a collar on her. I really figured she was just seeing a turkey flap around up in the trees and she would come right back. Nope...she lines out towards a pipeline and I blast thru the woods to head her off. 3/4 of a mile later I am ahead of her and out runs three turkeys and then the dog. I yell and run the four wheeler at them and they finally take off and fly. She realizes shes been caught and gives it up.
It's a good thing I was able to get to where I did and see the birds...I've never had a dog run a turkey this far, let alone three of them and they stayed together!! I would have bet money she found a fox or deer in those woods and took it out of there if I hadn't seen it for myself!!! I don't know, I guess I just haven't seen a dog run a turkey like this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-24-2015 10:27 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

smart dog

she knows TURKEY day is in 2 days==lol

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Old Post 11-24-2015 10:40 PM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Re: smart dog

quote:
Originally posted by HERSHSHUNTIN
she knows TURKEY day is in 2 days==lol

How could I forget???? I guess I shouldn't have been so hard on her after all...LOL!!!! I hope for her sake it is soon "coon day"!!!!!!

Old Post 11-24-2015 11:40 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dchartt
UKC Forum Member

That booo tick must not have been puttin much pressure on them!! Haha jk i know there was a walker in there somewhere, thats crazy the turkey ran that far

Old Post 11-25-2015 12:31 AM
dchartt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dchartt Click here to Send dchartt a Private Message Click Here to Email dchartt Find more posts by dchartt Add dchartt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Could have been worse you could have went around there and your dog been on point lol !!

Old Post 11-25-2015 12:33 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Everyone knows those blue dogs got some birdog bred in them, Turkey are better eatin than coon anyway.

Old Post 11-25-2015 12:41 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

If she'd have pointed I would have kept the whole episode to myself!!!! This one must still have a little more of that bird dog stuff than needed...and I have to admit, the Walker had enough sense to leave them feathers alone!!! He stayed with me. I would have never thought a darned turkey would run like that and go that far!! I have to wonder, just how much longer it would have gone on if I didn't get ahead of them and make them fly???

Old Post 11-25-2015 12:55 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Somthing funnier than that had a pup run an emu one night till he got it mad and he brought it right back to us it was every man and dog for it self and that thing wasent bluffin lol!!!

Old Post 11-25-2015 01:11 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Somthing funnier than that had a pup run an emu one night till he got it mad and he brought it right back to us it was every man and dog for it self and that thing wasent bluffin lol!!!

I was gonna say, that track probably didn't last too awful long!!!! He hit it, ran it, and got himself broke off of it...all in one clip!!!! If only red fox and deer would turn on a dog like that!!!

Old Post 11-25-2015 01:14 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Looked like don knots running away looked like mike Tyson coming back !!

Old Post 11-25-2015 01:26 AM
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

At least turkey is not considered OFF GAME by UKC, so the dog is still straight.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 11-25-2015 08:08 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I had a Mountain Cur that would tree them.

Old Post 11-25-2015 10:20 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Dogs
At least turkey is not considered OFF GAME by UKC, so the dog is still straight.

Thank you sir for pointing that out!!! I am not going to brag on her just yet...she will probably find a mad, rabid emu to run next!!! It will come back and attack me.
On a serious note, yes, I have heard of dogs that were trained and used to tree turkeys. I was invited on a hunt once but couldn't make it. I never did find out what breed of dogs they used. I guess if they are like mine and have the interest they could be trained for it.

Old Post 11-25-2015 10:30 PM