UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young Dog Quit Eating <Help>
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

A couple of years ago I had a pup that had many if the same symptoms you listed . His intestines where the small meets the large had folded over . Vet at first thought there was an obstruction caused by a foreign object but when they opened him for surgery it was discovered it was a fold . He had 1 foot of his small intestines removed he died 12 days after surgery . I also had a young dog get a bacterial infection of the gut who's symptoms were much the same as your dogs after a stiff round of antibiotics , probiotics and an IV for 4 days made a full recovery .
I completely understand a persons busy lifestyle but as dog owners we all have to make sacrifices when they need help . If your dog had not eaten for 2 days prior to going to the vet last week the cause should have been discussed then . Anytime a dog goes off it's food something is not right , sometimes minor , sometimes major . The list of what could have been or maybe still is wrong with her is a mile long . I am curious as if you have ever taken her temp, take it rectally with a digital thermometer . A dogs normal should fall between 101 & 102.5 if it is much below or 103 or higher get her to the vet immediately do not continue to wait . I do hope she makes a full recovery and all is well , glad she was eating yesterday . You may have gotten really lucky if so I wouldn't tempt fate again , most die in a much shorter time than yours had been off her food .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2015 07:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I've misplaced my thermometer we use for the livestock and I can't find the household thermometer. It's been awhile since anyone or anything has been sick, but I'm sure I'll find it. Does anyone know if the heartworm blood test covers ehrlichia and Lyme disease too? I believe I read that on another thread but can't remember. She was tested for heartworms last Thursday while at the vet and it came back negative. I was just wondering if that means it is negative for the other two as well?

Old Post 11-19-2015 09:39 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No a heartworm test does not work for tick born illnesses

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-19-2015 10:02 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I didn't think it did, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Old Post 11-19-2015 11:14 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

She absolutely tore a can of wet dog food up this evening. I'd say that's a good sign. She has great energy and is acting like her normal self. I'm still going to get her to the vet tomorrow and have all the tests run. I appreciate all the comments and concern from everybody. I know it seems like I've been slacking with this dog, but this normally isn't how I have to handle things. I've skipped 4 classes this semester already to take care of my dogs and if I were to skip another I would have been administratively withdrawn with no refund. I can't afford that, and as far as work goes I'm a new hire and have zero vacation and zero time off for a year. I need this job and can't risk them firing me for any reason. Like I said before I appreciate the concern and help from everybody, really.

Old Post 11-20-2015 12:09 AM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Cool...How'd ya make out at the vet?

Old Post 11-20-2015 07:09 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Well yesterday I went out to her dog lot before the vet and she was running around, wagging her tail, and barking like crazy. She was like a brand new dog haha. I took her to the vet anyways and there were no obstruction in her gut, no ear infections, her mouth and throat were alright, and I had a tick panel ran as well as a thyroid test. I'll get the results back from the tick panel and thyroid test on Tuesday, but right now this dog seems as good as ever. I'm going to keep her on the wet food for a few more days and ease her back in to the dry food. As far as all that goes she is eating like a horse now and seems to be making a full recovery. I'll post back on Tuesday.

Old Post 11-21-2015 01:40 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I would say either she ate something that made her real sick or she ate something and finally passed it !, either way sounds like she is on her way to recovery !!

Old Post 11-21-2015 06:05 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I agree. It looks to me like she ate something toxic since I never saw anything solid or anything that might have given her trouble in her stool.

Old Post 11-21-2015 07:21 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I took a dog to the Vet for a heartworm test last week and the test that they ran tested for all three; heartworms, erlichia and Lymes desease. They called it a "snap test" and it only took 15 minutes.

Old Post 11-22-2015 02:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1deadeye
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I took a dog to the Vet for a heartworm test last week and the test that they ran tested for all three; heartworms, erlichia and Lymes desease. They called it a "snap test" and it only took 15 minutes.

Tick panels are a collective of tests for antibodies against several different tick-borne disease organisms. The problem with a snap test is you may get a false positive.

Scott

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Old Post 11-22-2015 05:46 PM
1deadeye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1deadeye Click here to Send 1deadeye a Private Message Find more posts by 1deadeye Add 1deadeye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Well the verdict is a very low Thyroid according to the tests. She needs to be put on meds. I'm hunting her as I type this and she's made one den and didn't finish another track. I don't really know why but she started growling and booger barked about 150 yards away and then came back with her tail between her legs. Third drop now and she's working a track that seems a little tough for her but hopefully she can get it moving with ol ricky at the end. Thank you again everybody for all the concern and suggestions. I've never had a dog with a thyroid problem so this is new to me. If you have any advice or experience pertaining to this problem please let me know.

Old Post 11-25-2015 01:03 AM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Good luck it is very easy once you get her doses rite and level sustained but I will tell you this you don't how of a bug pain in the a$$ it is giving a dog two pills a day at 12 hrs Intervals until you do it !!!! And it is critical that you are consistent times every day I did 6am and 6 pm and that includes sat and Sunday's after being out most the night Christmas morning every day she needs the meds same time !!! And it sucks !!! Imo and I didn't do it for hunting issues just to get a female to cycle and thank the lord that was it cause it was miserable a!!!it would have to be a special dog before I would want to do it again !!

Old Post 11-25-2015 01:48 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Yea that there doesn't sound like any fun at all. I like the dog and I think she'll make a competitive hound in the hunts, but I'd say this will set her back a bit. I had her rolling before all this happened and the way she hunted tonight she looked like she was 7 months old again. I hope I can get all of this straightened out and her on the right track. Only time will tell I guess, but if she doesn't suit me just perfect plus the hassle of the medicine she may be for sale in a year. Does anyone know if Thyroid problems are hereditary or not? I originally bought her as a prospect to get a pup out of my male, but that won't happen if she could put this in her pups.

Old Post 11-25-2015 02:03 AM
moonshine man
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

Ive had two dogs through the years that their Thyroid shut down on them and they done real close to what yours was doing thats why i said it could be her Thyroid the other day, i will tell you the Thyroid and taking pills is a pain for people and dogs and neither one of the dogs that i had was never the same afterwards and as far as i know it is hereditary, my Thyroid quit working right years ago and they just keep uping the dose and i will tell you it has took a lot out of me and heat and sun takes its toll on me when im in it and i get bad sweats at times and i never done any of it before taking the pills, so if a dog has a bad Thyroid and takes the pills it would have to go through a lot of the symptoms and side effects that a person does. i hope you can get your dog straightened out and back on track.

Old Post 11-25-2015 02:36 AM
moonshine man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moonshine man Click here to Send moonshine man a Private Message Find more posts by moonshine man Add moonshine man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Call me crazy but loosen the collar or take it off when she's penned. The thyroids in the neck. And try some good quality food with low or no grains. A friends got an older female that was tested with low thyroid. He doesn't give her pills so it must not be bad but she gets down in the dumps if she's not got quality food. We get our food from a wholesaler and it is expired or ripped bags but its blue buffalo and similar. Marked at $90 a bag and we pay 10 cents a pound.

Old Post 11-25-2015 02:17 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Where do you get a deal like that on food? 10 cents a pound is a steal.

Old Post 11-25-2015 11:19 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Good quality food, but it's expired does that make any sense. I'm glad you can get good quality expired feed for .10 a pound. Yes thyroid problems are hereditary there are plenty of dogs that continue too do very well after they get there levels back up. It may take a while too get the right dose figured out. There are several vets around you that are used too dealing with dogs with thyroid problems.Theres at least 5 within 5 miles of where you work

Old Post 11-26-2015 05:44 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I was hoping the feed he was talking about was more on the ripped bag side, but do you have any names of the vets you speak of? I go to Redwine in Weber City.

Old Post 11-26-2015 06:02 AM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Redwine is a good vet. Dr Johnson on center street beside the press credit union. Indian hill,cherry in colonial heights. All of them have experience with thyroid issues. It may be a game of patience when you first start doses may have to be changed a few times before you find what works the best. Yes it's a pain too have too give pills every day but in reality if you do it twice a day it's less than 5min. Good luck

Old Post 11-26-2015 06:22 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

A little of topic but since it was brought up

Should have said going to expire. Stores don't take it if it's going to expire in a couple months. And really the dates don't mean a thing. Ask a dog food company, the old stuff comes back they open the bags and mix it again sometimes with cat food (for more protein)! and sell it under a different name. So if I'm buying something expired or close to expired that supposedly has a 6 month best before date, now compared to the stuff that's got 1 year shelf life or no date?? Anybody would pick the lamb or organ meat that's aupposedly 'old' over the grain food that has no expiry.

Hope you find something that's going to work for you and your female Preston

Old Post 11-26-2015 01:03 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

I have to give my old male 2 pills a day, morning and evening. I cut winnies in 1 inch pieces and stick the pill in it, chunk it to him he gobbles it up and never even knows he took a pill....

Old Post 11-26-2015 01:25 PM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
Call me crazy but loosen the collar or take it off when she's penned. The thyroids in the neck. And try some good quality food with low or no grains. A friends got an older female that was tested with low thyroid. He doesn't give her pills so it must not be bad but she gets down in the dumps if she's not got quality food.

If you read any natural cures for thyroid problems most will tell you this same thing . It is saw more in larger breeds of dogs that yank on the lead or chain and those that have had shocking collars , no bark collars used and those who's diet doesn't agree with them most recommend switching to a good grain free food .
Good luck and I am glad you got her problem figured out .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 11-26-2015 03:39 PM
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate all the good advice. The collar deal makes sense and I have loosened her collar quite a bite. The pills twice a day wouldn't be bad if I was the only one who ever had to feed her, but right now where I'm in college for 1 more month I have someone else feed for me in the evenings most days. Trusting someone with food is one thing but to depend on them to give medicine consistently is another. Hopefully we can get through this first bit and then everything should go smoother.

Old Post 11-26-2015 08:11 PM