UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young Dog Quit Eating <Help>
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Young Dog Quit Eating <Help>

I need some ideas on what might be the problem.
17 Month old female
Had her first heat cycle a little over a month ago.
Gets hunted regularly.
Doesn't normally chow down on her food, but eats it throughout the day.
Had a rabies and parvo vaccine last Thursday 11/12/15, a good round of wormer then as well.
Stopped eating last Tuesday 11/10/15 and hasn't eaten a thing since, won't even look at Peanut Butter or anything else dogs normally love.
She's still drinking a little bit of water.
I was hoping she would come out of it on her own, but I'm at a loss. Can't get her to the vet until Friday and I need some ideas on what it could be to give the vet a place to start.

Thanks for all replies

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2015 09:10 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lamona
UKC Forum Member

Take her temp she could be developing pyometra (infection in the uterus). If the temp is fine she might just be in a pseudo (false) pregnancy. I have one girl like this every time and she will hardly ever eat, I have had to force feed her. Good Luck!

Old Post 11-17-2015 10:00 PM
Lamona is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lamona Click here to Send Lamona a Private Message Click Here to Email Lamona Find more posts by Lamona Add Lamona to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Thanks. That's something I never would have considered.

Old Post 11-17-2015 10:15 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

dog want eat

get ya a couple of cans of pedigree puppy food. if she don't eat that take her to vet. had a 6 mth old would not hardly eat. got purina and he gulps it down. dogs eat stuff out in the woods that isn't good for them. people in this area put poison out for coon. got to be careful watch her. VET!!!

Last edited by CHEWBACH on 11-17-2015 at 11:06 PM

Old Post 11-17-2015 11:04 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I thought she may have gotten into some poison myself. We have more coyotes than I've ever seen before and it's hard to kill those suckers by hunting them around here. There aren't many big fields where you can see them coming and it's dang near impossible not to get busted with all of these ridges and the way the wind swirls. Most people have to poison them because trapping takes too much time for most of the land owners around here. I ask anyone I hunt on if they have traps or poison out and all of them say no, but that doesn't mean the neighbors don't. I figured she would've been dead by now if she got into any of that stuff. Most of it is antifreeze soaked hotdogs.

Old Post 11-17-2015 11:27 PM
JDBROWN865
UKC Forum Member

If you can get her to drink chick broth you can even pour it down her

Old Post 11-17-2015 11:49 PM
JDBROWN865 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JDBROWN865 Click here to Send JDBROWN865 a Private Message Click Here to Email JDBROWN865 Find more posts by JDBROWN865 Add JDBROWN865 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joes reticks
UKC Forum Member

x 2 on wet feed

Wet feed I woud go and buy 3 diff cans of wet food see if she will eat one of the variety's then if she does buy more of the cans of what she likes keep her on that for good two weeks along whith some type dry feed in front her 24/7 ..

Also hot bacon greese heat up Bacon greese and mix it 40-60 whith her dog food just so all the dry food is good and soaked in it ... Try that on her if she eats that give here that for few weeks .

Another trick I have and old female sometimes she gets real finicky has done it sence a pup when she gets in a a weired finicky not eating funk I mix a bag of diamond premium dog food (green and yellowish gold bag ) in whith her usual feed or just put her on that for few weeks strait she then eats like like a pig and goes right back to eating ..

Another thing is probiotics for gut health when I put my dogs on probiotics they all ate exclent..

Hope you can get her eating again ...

Great hound hunters of the past quotes I like and live buy .
"Its not the legnth off the ears it whats betwen the ears "- lester Nance
" "If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
" I live to hunt and I hunt to live " - Henry McIntyre

Last edited by Joes reticks on 11-17-2015 at 11:56 PM

Old Post 11-17-2015 11:51 PM
Joes reticks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joes reticks Click here to Send Joes reticks a Private Message Find more posts by Joes reticks Add Joes reticks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
moonshine man
UKC Forum Member

Check her mouth and throat and make sure there is not a stick or something hung in there and check the color on her gums and mouth,i had one once quit eating and her Thyroid had shut down.

Old Post 11-17-2015 11:53 PM
moonshine man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moonshine man Click here to Send moonshine man a Private Message Find more posts by moonshine man Add moonshine man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chewy97
UKC Forum Member

I'd be going to the vet. My 5 month old male stopped eating and drinking. I took him to the vet they had to remove 2 feet of his small intestine, it went inside of its self causing some major problems. The vet said he was within a couple hours of dieing.

Old Post 11-18-2015 01:03 AM
chewy97 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chewy97 Click here to Send chewy97 a Private Message Click Here to Email chewy97 Find more posts by chewy97 Add chewy97 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
felbedp
New UKC Forum Member

yound dog

I'd take her to the vet as soon as possible. My business partner had a young setter once that swallowed a stone while playing with it. It lodged somewhere inside and made him feel full all the time. Then it got missed the first time they x-rayed him. They had to do surgery and he almost died from starvation.

Old Post 11-18-2015 01:27 AM
felbedp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for felbedp Click here to Send felbedp a Private Message Click Here to Email felbedp Find more posts by felbedp Add felbedp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I checked her throat and mouth when I first noticed it. Nothing lodged, all teeth were fine, and she still has good pink color to her gums. I'm gonna try some of the food suggestions yall said and see if she'll come around. Once I get her to the vet, i'll have him check everything from top to bottom. The good sign is she's still drinking water. If she stops that I know we are in big trouble.

Old Post 11-18-2015 01:53 AM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

If u have dinner scraps u can add them, use the oils and fat left over from cooking. I do this normally keeps them healthier and the dogs love it. Plus it allows me use less food. For picky eaters pro plan chicken and rice seems to work the best in my experience.

Old Post 11-18-2015 09:55 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kris Cisna
UKC Forum Member

The dog hasn't eaten in 7 days and your posting on the internet?

WOW!!

Old Post 11-18-2015 02:14 PM
Kris Cisna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kris Cisna Click here to Send Kris Cisna a Private Message Click Here to Email Kris Cisna Find more posts by Kris Cisna Add Kris Cisna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Not Eating

If you care anything about this dog, take time off and get it to the Vet! If it was an eating problem, this dog would have already eaten.

I had a dog once that went off his food like that. He always ate his food fine but when he was off it for a couple days I was sure there was something wrong so we went to the Vet. It was determined that he had panceatitis. This can be caused from eating on a deer gut pile or just deer crapp. It's hard to tell what a dog eats when you're not around. It was a long road back to recovery for him but with medication and some proper feeding instructions he came through. Please don't wait too long or it will be too late!

Old Post 11-18-2015 03:09 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Mr./Mrs. Cesna? (don't know which because you have a wild spelling of your name)

Yes it seems that I did post on the Internet. I don't know who else would have posted this since it was from my profile and I don't believe anybody has a reason to hack my account.
Now that we have that clarified since it seemed so shocking to you that I was trying to get a little advice from some more seasoned hound hunters let me address the second part of your overall pretty petty statement. Yes, it was 7 days. Now 8 if you don't count the little bit of milk and rice she picked at yesterday.
I'm a hardworking maintenance mechanic at a chemical plant who works on average 50+ hours a week. I also attend college 4 nights a week and keep a 4.0 grade average that way maybe one day I can better myself and provide a good life for my future family. If all that wasnt enough, I have a 250 acre farm with trail horses that need tended to along with countless other animals. It may seem shocking to some people that I can't drop all of my other responsibilities and take a dog to a vet right away, but to the hardworking blue collar man its no so crazy. We normal folk have to prioritize our lives and fit things in where we can. Friday after work is the only time I have to be able to get this dog vet attention. Hopefully you can forgive me. I take care of my dogs the best I can and better than a lot of people. I don't appreciate your comment as I was trying to gather some advice as to what may hold this dog over until Friday as well as possible causes for the vet to look into. You obviously have no advice so why bother to comment? Thank you.

Old Post 11-18-2015 06:50 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Bud I would say your pup has eaten something that it cannot pass !!! I Ada pup swallow a piece of rope with a knot and without surgery it would surely have been death !!!! So I would say a trip to the vet should hage bee days ago !!! As far as your other responsibility I praise you for your desire to improve your life aswell as others !!! It seems you propanol do not have time for a dog in your life rite now ???? Maybe -maybe not but some times you need to prioritize to take care of things immediately !!! Good luck I hope your pup Is fine and you continue to do well

Old Post 11-18-2015 08:19 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

She was at the vet last Thursday for the vaccines and wormer. He didnt see anything apparently wrong with her and told me to bring her back if she doesn't get better. That day back will have to be Friday. She has had one bowel movement since Thursday and nothing looked out of place.

Old Post 11-18-2015 08:47 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

But if she isn't eating still she has to be skin and bones in that amount of time !!????? I hope she is ok but for piece of mind I would at least get and X-ray are some test to make sure she hasn't digested a foreign object and where it could be blocking !!!! On my female athe knot and rope !! The rope was in her intestines and the knot was still in her stomach ad wouldn't passs and had it pull tight like an accordion !! Mine wouldn't have lived much longer and that was after 3 days !!! You would be surprised as to how fast a pup will lost 10 pounds by not eating just a couple 3/5 days anyway good luck

Old Post 11-18-2015 10:05 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Twisted stomach? they quit eating but run out of energy too. hurts to deficate

Old Post 11-18-2015 10:14 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

She is eating a can of wet dog food as we speak. Slowly but surely. She has good energy now compared to yesterday and she hasn't lost but about 5lbs during this time. I'm gonna have her checked head to toe when I get her to vet. X rays, blood tests, the whole nine yards. She seems to be on the upswing today and hopefully she keeps making progress

Old Post 11-18-2015 10:16 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Hope she pulls thru for ya good luck and let us know if are what you end up finding

Old Post 11-19-2015 12:39 AM
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
Twisted stomach? they quit eating but run out of energy too. hurts to deficate

Yeah, but I always heard that kills them pretty quick, and isn't it also really painful??? I don't know, I have never seen it {thank god, I don't ever want to} could be one of those things that gets the blame more than it really happens.
I just had a dog cut way back on his feed. He's one of those strange dogs that will not let you see him eat. This summer he turned 2 and would only eat about 1/4th of his normal intake. It was a long hot summer, he didn't really seem to be bothered by it and actually gained 3 pounds when I took him to the vet. The only other thing going on was that his hair on his back legs was real thin...as soon as the vet saw that she tested him for a possible hypo thyroid. But, when the test came back she said, "he's in the low range of normal and doesn't need any medicine at this time."
Now that it has gotten colder he seems to be back on track.
I am curious to see what is wrong with the OP's dog....never heard of one just stopping altogether.

Old Post 11-19-2015 05:09 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhosss
UKC Forum Member

NOT EATING

Had one female before her first heat cycle and wouldn t eat for days found out she had a false pregnancy.Strangest Thing I seen.

Old Post 11-19-2015 10:30 AM
myhosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhosss Click here to Send myhosss a Private Message Find more posts by myhosss Add myhosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Yeah, but I always heard that kills them pretty quick, and isn't it also really painful??? I don't know, I have never seen it {thank god, I don't ever want to} could be one of those things that gets the blame more than it really happens.
I just had a dog cut way back on his feed. He's one of those strange dogs that will not let you see him eat. This summer he turned 2 and would only eat about 1/4th of his normal intake. It was a long hot summer, he didn't really seem to be bothered by it and actually gained 3 pounds when I took him to the vet. The only other thing going on was that his hair on his back legs was real thin...as soon as the vet saw that she tested him for a possible hypo thyroid. But, when the test came back she said, "he's in the low range of normal and doesn't need any medicine at this time."
Now that it has gotten colder he seems to be back on track.
I am curious to see what is wrong with the OP's dog....never heard of one just stopping altogether.

Yes it can kill quickly if it is completely blocked but there is also a version that the intestine folds in on itself and it can reopen then do it over and over. I lost a pup to this at a 4 or 5 months old. Was always small never ate much then finally quit eating and moving, had to put her down. My friends a Vet he figured she was born with it. At the end seemed very painful. I tried the canned food etc.

IF YOU HAVE A THERMOMETER TAKE THE DOGS TEMP! First thing to do if you suspect something funny.

Old Post 11-19-2015 02:23 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

Preston,

If they do not immediately find an obvious cause for her sickness then have her tested for lymes/erlichosis. Symptoms are similar to what you describe- loss of appetite, continuous water intake, lethargy. In extreme cases sometimes you will see stiffness. It has become very prevalent in our area.

Good luck,

Simon

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 11-19-2015 05:29 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote