UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How cold is too cold
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

How cold is too cold

I’m from East TN and i know in nights when it gets down to 15-20 degrees you might as well stay at the house unless it’s been that way for a while because the coon will be denned up. I’m thinking about heading to Illinois around the first of December and I’m just wondering what you guys that hunt up that way consider two cold for the coon to be moving. Obviously they’re used to colder weather up that way.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2019 11:55 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

Honestly, it will depend on what part of IL. You're gonna be in.. Huge difference in weather patterns from the North to South in IL in the first of December....

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:07 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

About the same

I live in east central IL. Same rule as yours applies here for me. I haven't had many good nights under 20 degrees. If it has been around zero for a few days and warms up to 20, then it might be worth turning loose.

25 degrees is alright most of the time.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-13-2019 04:36 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

Temp.

If its central Il. its more about how long the weather has been in that temperature range. I don't like turning loose below 15 degrees but that's just me. Also lots of other contributing factors.

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:11 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

There are coon moving somewhere, no matter what the weather is doing. Just have to have a dog to go find them.

Old Post 11-13-2019 04:00 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
There are coon moving somewhere, no matter what the weather is doing. Just have to have a dog to go find them.

Went to a Nite hunt on a dare, it was -11°. Guide said we'll hunt cow fields. Said coon will dig through cow Patty's to get corn not digested. We treed 3!!!. Went once at 2°, chill factor was -16°, Treed a big boar. Dogs went almost a mile. Damon Shivers is crazy like me. He dared me to come hunt during a level 3 snow storm. We treed in a big den after a 600 yard race. We call it the "Dan and Damon" adventures. They will move if hungry or breeding.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 11-13-2019 at 06:10 PM

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:05 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
Absolutely the way I have found it to be for the last 40 yrs. Always one moving somewhere every night if the right dog is looking.

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:45 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote