UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What kind of dog food is everyone feeding
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Toolman, how did your dad's dogs do on Ole Roy?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:32 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The "best" dog food used to be 21/18 and was corn based. Dogs seemed to do fine on it. Now dogs are fed 30/20 and not corn based. Are the dogs of today better off and doing better than they used to be. Does it really matter If a dog seems to "like" one food better than another? Growing up I hated liver but my mother made me eat it. I like steak better than ground beef but I sure do eat more hamburgers than t-bones.

Old Post 11-12-2019 03:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toolman24
UKC Forum Member

One thing I definitely can remember with the Ole Roy was the stools never were consistent!!!! But other wise the dogs performance seemed fine, but the stools stand out because I was the one cleaning the kennels and I’m still cleaning kennels now. Thank God my kids are finally getting old enough to help out with the kennels and I have a 4 year Daughter that might be the best Houndsmen I have every seen for her age. Boy can she really handle dogs and knows what to do with them, Jury is still out on my 2 boys!!!LOL

Old Post 11-12-2019 04:30 PM
Toolman24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toolman24 Click here to Send Toolman24 a Private Message Click Here to Email Toolman24 Find more posts by Toolman24 Add Toolman24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Toolman, how did your dad's dogs do on Ole Roy?

Most of the dogs I seen fed that stuff had hydrostatic drive! 🤣🤣

Old Post 11-12-2019 05:32 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Feeding

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
It's coming out that Grain{Corn} free isn't as 'good' for dogs as advertised.
Too many bad chemicals and additives for dogs.Some have very high sodium levels too.

I tried several "grain free" feeds including Diamond, Loyall (Nutreena's premium feed), Good Friend's (made by Nutreena), Valu Pak, and The Pride's new "grain free" feed, seeing the best results out of Loyall and The Pride's new feed. The only one that I can say that I fed that didn't take more feed to keep a dog up on compared to "normal" feeds was The Pride's new feed although I didn't feed it during the winter or to multiple dogs so it's test wasn't as strong as the other brands. My preference in dog food is to have corn as the third ingredient and to have a feed that is high in Kcals. Feeds with those blends of Chicken or some other meat meal as the first ingredient, brewers rice as the second ingredient, and corn as the third ingredient have always done well for the dogs that I have fed over the years and are usually a feed that will work with multiple dogs and conditions.

Old Post 11-12-2019 06:02 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

SOME OF THE OLD FEEDS THEY DIDNT HAVE THYROID TROUBLES

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-12-2019 10:09 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Food

We used to feed bingo dog feed it looked like corn flakes mixed with floor sweepings but we didn't hunt that hard that was 35 yr ago

Old Post 11-13-2019 12:51 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

So B&T's are having thyroid problems with dog foods?

Old Post 11-13-2019 07:04 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

I think all this grain free high sodium levels is causing a lot of Thyroid issues too.
'V' red bag is/was off the chart high in sodium.Fed it for years,screwed up every female I had on it.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 11-13-2019 08:20 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
The "best" dog food used to be 21/18 and was corn based. Dogs seemed to do fine on it. Now dogs are fed 30/20 and not corn based. Are the dogs of today better off and doing better than they used to be. Does it really matter If a dog seems to "like" one food better than another? Growing up I hated liver but my mother made me eat it. I like steak better than ground beef but I sure do eat more hamburgers than t-bones.
I feed Purina Dog Chow. My hunting buddy tried to talk me into feeding the same $1.25 per pound feed he was using. I told him to point out to me every time his dogs out performed mine and tell me immediately. After 4 months he's feeding Purina and saving $100 per month. As far as this stool business, I ain't always thrilled with my own stool, but I still eat at Taco Bell occasionally.

Old Post 11-13-2019 08:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Food

quote:
Originally posted by wart
We used to feed bingo dog feed it looked like corn flakes mixed with floor sweepings but we didn't hunt that hard that was 35 yr ago

Memories ... Cheyenne's old Spider dog he hunted for 12 years would only eat Bingo of course it was mixed with warm water and table scraps. I remember when Black Gold and the green bag of Diamond became all the rage he tried to get him to eat both and he would turn up his nose. I had to drive to Tiff City, MO (barely on the map town) to get it. He was hunted nearly 5 nights a week for most of his life until around age 11 when he was shot with buck shot and got lymes both in the same summer and it slowed him down but he was still hunted until the last few months of his life. He died around age 13.
Pups I switch up feeds some and mix. Always something with good protien/fat ratio.
Mafia will be 13 January 1 and has been on Victor purple bag since he was young. He has also never had any tick diseases that we know of and no thyriod problem. His only vet visits have been for thr occasional allergy shot or booster.
It is the same with Shack but I have fed him mostly Victor he has had a couple of fish based foods mixed in here and there Nutrisource and Pro Plan 30/20 Salmon & Rice.
I will also note that all these dogs have always been regularly wormed and given flea and tick prevention. Spider was dipped back in the old days.
Keeping dogs free of parasites from ticks, fleas to all worms and given fresh water is the single best thing you can do for a long healthy life regardless of what feed you choose.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-13-2019 08:34 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

So, what I am gathering is grain free is not necessarily the way to go? Is that the food causing thyroid problems?

Old Post 11-13-2019 09:07 PM
tjcc1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjcc1978 Click here to Send tjcc1978 a Private Message Find more posts by tjcc1978 Add tjcc1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tjcc1978
So, what I am gathering is grain free is not necessarily the way to go? Is that the food causing thyroid problems?

Btwn Ticks and Dog Food

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 11-13-2019 09:18 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Btwn Ticks and Dog Food

And a list mile long of other things that can affect along with the overdiagnosis that is also happening.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-13-2019 10:20 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

We shall see ho well the hounds like the black bag of Value Pak for this winter. My 3 domestic dogs LOVE it, they gobbled handfuls down, I wanted to see if they would like it. They do. A chihuahua who is 15, a doxie who is 7 and a pit who is 8-9 years old. Need to find a Value Pak for older dogs.

Old Post 11-14-2019 12:30 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dog Food.....

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I feed Purina Dog Chow. My hunting buddy tried to talk me into feeding the same $1.25 per pound feed he was using. I told him to point out to me every time his dogs out performed mine and tell me immediately. After 4 months he's feeding Purina and saving $100 per month. As far as this stool business, I ain't always thrilled with my own stool, but I still eat at Taco Bell occasionally.

I agree with this.....!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-14-2019 11:39 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
And a list mile long of other things that can affect along with the overdiagnosis that is also happening.

X2

Old Post 11-14-2019 11:45 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I feed pro plan 26/16 (all life stages) to my young dog. And I just switched my old female to pro plan Bright Mind formula. And so far its made a huge difference in her. She seems to have more energy and seems more alert. I've been feeding pro plan for 6 or 7 years. I've tried other foods but didn't get the same type of results with those. I fed Diamond, Black Gold, Taste of the Wild, Kenny O's (which I've thought about switching to again), pedigree, ol'roy, kibbles n bits, and dog chow. When I couldn't afford the more expensive feed I didn't feed it. I never seemed to have any issue with any of it. If I had a dog that needed a better looking coat shine I'd give an egg. But I didn't hunt as hard on the cheaper feeds either.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-14-2019 05:05 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjcc1978
UKC Forum Member

If they don't like the Value Pak, I will go to Victor or Purina Pro Plan Sport. What's strange is my domestic dogs (15 yr old Chihuahua, 7 yr old Doxie and a 9 yr old Pittie) just gobbled down the black bag of Value Pak samples I gave them. Of course, I was just testing to see if any of my dogs would like it, and they do. But they can't eat that because they are older dogs. Probably gonna find a Value Pak for senior dogs. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old Post 11-16-2019 03:05 AM