UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Switching type of Hound.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

Switching type of Hound.

In the last few years, alot of things have changed in my life,
the way I hunt has also changed, I took to hunting alone, or with a good friend ocasionally, abandoned any thought of ever competition hunting and quit worrying about papers, or breeding.
Stopped trying to break hounds, and just got rid of the ones that were not tree minded, hunting has gotten better, almost to the point of boring regularity.
No trick to tree Coons anymore, not quite as exciting as it once was, but still fun.
I have now decided that I want a different type of hound, and am raising a MT Cur, Hound Cross.
It will take some time, but I am hoping that this will be the type of Hound that will hunt close, and run mostly silent.
I do however miss getting on the board, like I used too, just been gone a while, I still drop in from time to time.
Any way, i just wanted to say hello, again, and let you guys know what I have been up to.

Here is a Cell Phone Video of my Old Hound Chester, he has been able to hunt some in the cooler weather we have had.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-20-2010 10:28 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wayne f
UKC Forum Member

i would either go with a cur or a hound i see no reason for cross breeding them as any time you cross the results is unpredictable which parent are they going to take there trates from.
just recently i hunted with a nice cur dog and had a lot of fun hunting with her but they sure do hunt differently i might even try one of my own where i hunt coon arent exactly pleniful and my hounds often have to goreal deep to fing one and at 71 years old often its a real workout for me but the cur hunred out and if she couldn't find a coon she would come back in and i tell you on some nights that would be a pleasure

Old Post 03-21-2010 02:14 AM
wayne f is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wayne f Click here to Send wayne f a Private Message Click Here to Email wayne f Find more posts by wayne f Add wayne f to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Wayne,

I have tried the full Cur, as a matter of fact, I have owned my cross breeds Grandfather, his Mother, and hunted with his Grand Mother, Great Grand Mother, Great Grandfather, pretty much his entire family. Also gave one away to a friend, that I thought might help with the breeding, but he saw more value in dollars than good dogs.
I love these dogs, and they are amaising, but I want them to have more nose, I have treed behind hounds with this Curs family members, and had Coon, but on Cold tracks they stumble.
I am however afraid, he may inherit the long range of His Father,
Its very hard to find the type of hound I want, and hard to find the type of cur. I have thought about trying the leapord Hound, but they are not available here. This is more of an experiment than anything.
I bet someone out there somewhere has the type of hunting dog that I want, but for now I am trying to make my own, I hope it works.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 03-21-2010 01:54 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

I almost got what ya need Richard...........
A walker dog with a good nose that hunts like a cur. You don't even need a leash for him.
Will stay treed while you shoot coons out to other dogs , but when you tell him " that's enough , can't get him " , he'll follow you away from the tree.
Tell him to go find another , and he doesn't even look back.
Bad thing for you is he don't run " mostly silent " as you put it. He opens accordingly. LOL
He's the one on the DVD I sent you.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Last edited by jackbob42 on 03-21-2010 at 03:09 PM

Old Post 03-21-2010 03:06 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
I almost got what ya need Richard...........
A walker dog with a good nose that hunts like a cur. You don't even need a leash for him.
Will stay treed while you shoot coons out to other dogs , but when you tell him " that's enough , can't get him " , he'll follow you away from the tree.
Tell him to go find another , and he doesn't even look back.
Bad thing for you is he don't run " mostly silent " as you put it. He opens accordingly. LOL
He's the one on the DVD I sent you.

That sounds like what I have been after for years, Barking on track is OK, I just like the handeling of a Cur.
Your dog sounds like he might fit the bill, for the type of hunting I do.

Old Post 03-21-2010 03:20 PM
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nethery
That sounds like what I have been after for years, Barking on track is OK, I just like the handeling of a Cur.
Your dog sounds like he might fit the bill, for the type of hunting I do.

That dog sounds like my old walker, the only one I kept and is going on 13 years old. I knew I wouldn't find another like him when his pups turned out to be regular goyonder dogs. Then I tried two leopards and like them both. They are straight and were easy to train. Then I bred both, one to a kemmer mnt. cur and the other to a walker bitch. I trained a pair from both crosses. None have treed a possum, armadillo, or messed with deer or any trash but if I have a leash with me I'll hook them up when leaving a tree and let the leopard walk. If we come across a track on the way out, I can tell the leopards to leave it alone.

Point is, I like intelligent dogs that handle good. I don't care what breed or cross.

Old Post 03-22-2010 07:08 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote