UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another how much thread
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Another how much thread

Instead of how much does a dog need hunted, how much hunting does it take to get the itch scratched for you? One time I hunted for a 5 year stretch of 350 nights a year. If it got dark me and my dog both thought we had to go! Vet said I wore my dog out, Lawyer said I wore my marriage out, now the doctor says I I wore both knees and a hip out. Who would have ever thunk it! Lol

Last edited by 2ol2hunt on 09-28-2019 at 04:21 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-28-2019 04:15 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Asking how much hunting a dog needs is the same as asking how much hunting a handler needs. How much does a handler have to hunt with a dog to truly "know" that dog and be able to call it? How much hunting does a handler have to do to get in good enough shape to keep up on a cast of 4 of today's deep and alone hounds? How much hunting does it take for a handler to burn out mentally so that he is slow to respond? How much hard hunting or lack of sleep does it take for a handler to slow down physically?

Old Post 09-28-2019 05:13 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Back in the 90's. I hunted every night except really hard wind or lightning. Now it takes a prospect that could be special to make me go hard. I haven't given up but I don't push mediocre crap.
Read my signature 😄

Old Post 09-28-2019 06:13 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny Shumate
UKC Forum Member

I know a gentleman around 68 years old I have admired him for years my age is 55 he does not hunt a popular breed of coon hound Plotts all his life but in his lifetime he has had 7 Gr nt 4 nt ch one of the Gr Nt was on the top reproduces list for a number of years a male he kept his career in tact he is now retired his family is still together and strong he don't walk on water and has made some mistakes along the way but he and his family are still together and strong ask yourself how much or how little with the needs of your loved ones in mind balance is always the best method none of us live forever and at the end of our lives I don't think anyone is going to say I wished I would of hunted more. I am sure there are many more like him out there. I don't post this to down grade anyone that made mistakes hunting too much it is never too late to go back and start pouring more time into your kids. I guess I am getting senimental in my old age.

Old Post 09-28-2019 06:20 PM
Kenny Shumate is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny Shumate Click here to Send Kenny Shumate a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenny Shumate Find more posts by Kenny Shumate Add Kenny Shumate to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Never considered that I could hunt "" to much" and I would love to do it all over again!

Old Post 09-28-2019 06:26 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Shumate
I know a gentleman around 68 years old I have admired him for years my age is 55 he does not hunt a popular breed of coon hound Plotts all his life but in his lifetime he has had 7 Gr nt 4 nt ch one of the Gr Nt was on the top reproduces list for a number of years a male he kept his career in tact he is now retired his family is still together and strong he don't walk on water and has made some mistakes along the way but he and his family are still together and strong ask yourself how much or how little with the needs of your loved ones in mind balance is always the best method none of us live forever and at the end of our lives I don't think anyone is going to say I wished I would of hunted more. I am sure there are many more like him out there. I don't post this to down grade anyone that made mistakes hunting too much it is never too late to go back and start pouring more time into your kids. I guess I am getting senimental in my old age.

X2 At times I have let coon hunting become more important than it should have been. Funny thing is that when I did I didn't enjoy it as much. Think my conscience was telling me that a wife and kids were much more important.

Old Post 09-28-2019 07:33 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
Back in the 90's. I hunted every night except really hard wind or lightning. Now it takes a prospect that could be special to make me go hard. I haven't given up but I don't push mediocre crap.
Read my signature 😄

Some good post on here but I like this one...if the potential isn’t there I will not spend the time...

Old Post 09-28-2019 07:54 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

X2, Why hunt something who's ability is not what you want, a man only has so much time and it's much more fun to spend your time enjoying something special. I remember the first squirrel I ever killed, I was only a boy and shot the squirrel with a shotgun up close, tore that squirrel all to pieces. I was so happy, I grabbed what was left, ran out of the woods to my grandmother's house to show my dad what I had done. I would never waste an animal like that today, same with coonhunting. I expect more than average in any dog I own, I had enough average when I was young and did not know better. Lol. Dave

Old Post 09-28-2019 11:37 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote