UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How much hunting does a dog need?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

How much hunting does a dog need?

Once I find a dog that can tree a coon, I often find myself wondering how much hunting does this dog need to be as good as it can be? Does it really need a bunch of woods hours to maximize its ability or will it be as good with a few hunts a week? We are talking about young dogs here, say 12 to 24 months old.

Just curious what you guys have seen.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-25-2019 01:43 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

That’s definitely a question on most competition Coon hunters minds. How much time do you take away from sleep, family, work and other things you like to do so a dog can excel. For me, I notice dogs dog through a lot of changes from 1-3 years old. Some mature sooner some not so depends on the dog for me but at 1-2 I say gotta hunt them as much as possible. Sorry that was vague!

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 09-25-2019 02:24 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I always try and end a hunt on a positive note. It took me till 2:00 this morning to accomplish that lol.

Tar

Old Post 09-25-2019 02:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KYHoundDawg
That’s definitely a question on most competition Coon hunters mind. How much time do you take away from sleep, family, work and other things you like to do so a dog can excel......

Every dog is different but you balance "excel" with time. The more time, the more "excel".
The question on my mind was always, how much time do I take away from coonhunting for work, sleep and family. But that sure got me in a lot of trouble with my boss and wife. I guess that is why I went through several jobs and several wives.

Old Post 09-25-2019 02:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, if your dog runs out and jams a coon in 5 min at 100 yds, do you load him up and go home?

Old Post 09-25-2019 02:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I always try and end a hunt on a positive note. It took me till 2:00 this morning to accomplish that lol.

Tar

x2 sometimes it doesn't work, but if you can the majority of the time it sure helps, both the dog and myself.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 09-25-2019 04:09 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, if your dog runs out and jams a coon in 5 min at 100 yds, do you load him up and go home?

Right now while it’s hot you ain’t a woofen !! It always turns to dookie if I get greedy 😂

Tarbaby

Old Post 09-25-2019 04:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I left home at 8 Mon night and got back home at 9. I got to see the last half of the Voice.

Old Post 09-25-2019 05:06 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

I prefer the opposite. Especially with an older dog.

Last thing that dog should want is put in a kennel. Hate to punish them after they do a good job.

Old Post 09-25-2019 05:34 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

Last thing that dog should want is put in a kennel. Hate to punish them after they do a good job.

Made 4 dumps last night the last one was 900 yrds one way all on foot I don’t care how the dog feels I was pooped.

Tar

Old Post 09-25-2019 05:52 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

Josh but my dog does perfect every time I turn him loose. I could never go home! I hope you know this is a joke. Mine is far from perfect.

Old Post 09-25-2019 07:32 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I hunt for fun depends on how much fun I am having as to how long I hunt lol.

Tar

Old Post 09-26-2019 01:17 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I hunt for fun depends on how much fun I am having as to how long I hunt lol.
Tar

Finally, a post that makes sense and I can agree with.
And it sure is hard to get motivated to go if you don't think that you are going to have fun.

Old Post 09-26-2019 01:40 PM
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Hunt the hair off of him. You’ll know when enough is enough . Your dog will tell you.

Old Post 09-26-2019 03:25 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tommygunner
Banned

Yadkintar I drove by your house 3 times you were in there on the computer hunting

Old Post 09-26-2019 04:17 PM
tommygunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tommygunner Click here to Send tommygunner a Private Message Click Here to Email tommygunner Find more posts by tommygunner Add tommygunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Its something that takes time and learning that particular dog. With a young dog it's worked better for me to hunt as many nights as I can for a couple of hours a night. If the dog starts going backwards then slack off. What I have found is if a dog is being hunted regularly and starts screwing up, more hunting has never fixed them. Sometimes they need a break.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 09-26-2019 04:35 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

Dogs cannot tell time, it's the outcome of the hunt that makes the difference,a 3 hour poor hunt or a 30 minute great hunt you tell me when you would rather put a lead on your hound......

Old Post 09-26-2019 08:16 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Always felt like quitting on a good note seems to keep their mind right when they were younger.

Old Post 09-26-2019 10:15 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Okay if you're talking about a young and not so experienced pup, then quality over quantity. But at 18+ months and its had a decent amount of time hunting then it should be pushed pretty hard, like 5-7 nights a week for a few months. My way doesn't always work for everyone but it works for me.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-27-2019 01:25 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Okay if you're talking about a young and not so experienced pup, then quality over quantity. But at 18+ months and its had a decent amount of time hunting then it should be pushed pretty hard, like 5-7 nights a week for a few months. My way doesn't always work for everyone but it works for me.

I like what you said...”QUALITY OVER QUANTITY”... I believe in doing my very best in doing the right things at the right times to get the best out of my dogs and pups...

And I don’t waste much time on one that doesn’t show the potential I expect...

The good ones don’t need lots of hunting to be good hunting dogs but then again I don’t competition hunt...just like in pro football...even the best practice...perfect practice brings out the best...there also is such a thing as over training...

Old Post 09-27-2019 02:45 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

How much hunting

How much hunting really depends on just what exactly you are trying to prepare for.

If your trying to hunt just enough to keep your dog from getting completely bored and start chewing up their dog box, probably 1 night per week 3-4 hours per night

If you are preparing for an upcoming pleasure hunt, probably 1-2 nights per week, 3 to 4 hours per night.

If you are preparing for a local ukc hunt, probably 3-4 nights per week, 3-4 hours per night, for a minimum of 3 weeks

If you are preparing a world Qualifier, probably 3-4 nights per week, for 8 weeks, 4-6 hours per night

If you are preparing for the zones, probably 4-5 nights per week, for 8-12 weeks, 6-8 hours per night.

I bet every hound that made the top 16 of the UKC world hunt, hunted harder than the hours mentioned above.

but to own a top notch hound, you MUST prepare at a top notch pace, to expect TOP NOTCH results.

I remember Drawing Goose Creek Slugger and Mr. Mark Jones a few times and the commitment he explained to me that he was giving to that hound left me in Awe of what it actually took to compete in the Purina circuit for Purina Outstanding Coonhound of the Year.

these numbers I have mentioned above are only a drop in the bucket of what the truly successful competition hunters are committing.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 09-27-2019 05:04 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

So if you are a die hard , hard core , big daddy ,super coonhunter , getting your dog ready for competition would you hunt your dog in :

1. In a blizzard ?
2. In an ice storm ?
3.in 90+ degree heat early in the night when the coons don’t move till late ?
4. In hunted out woods that you probly wouldn’t tree a coon in on a good night ?

Any old doggie that’s been in this game a while knows three quality nights hunting is better than 6 bad ones especially down here where it’s rough and I ain’t in no coon zoo.

Without a coon in the woods it’s just woods.

Tar

Old Post 09-27-2019 11:25 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Tar the dog doesn't mind those conditions nearly as much as the handler. But quality over quantity is generally best.

Old Post 09-27-2019 02:00 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steeb_63
UKC Forum Member

A dog is like an athlete practice makes perfect so the nights it hot muggy and miserable get up and go and it should pay off

2018 2ND PLACE BREED WINNER PKC
2019 ILLINOIS STATE CHAMPION
2019 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATL GRNITECH OF BREED
2019 ZONE 3 HIGH SCORING DOG
2019 WORLD CH TOP 100
2019 PURINA NATIONALS BREED WINNER.
2019 FALL ROUND UP KING OF THE HUNT.
2019 ERCHA PKC PRO HUNT TOP 4
2020 WINTER CLASSIC SAT. 4TH PLACE CHAMPION DIVISION
2020 WORLD QUALIIFIED
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL HUNT WINNER
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS DOUBLE CAST WINNER 3RD PLACE GRNITECH FRI AND 4TH PLACE GRNITECH SAT
2020 Natl english days high scoring dog overall fri 1rst place grnitech sat 3rd place grnitech.
2021 invitational hunt winner
2021 natl bluetick days 9th place RQE winner
T0C Top 64 winner

ALSO HOME OF
PR Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee[dual grand penny x grnitech krypt]
nitech Stebers Big Ole Slick
NITECH STEBERS MIGHTY LONESOME 3 AKA CASH[7 wins towards grnitech
Stebers Mighty Blue Bell
Stebers 5 Gen
Stebers Pure Country
Stebers Shining Diamond
Stebers Lonesome Sue
Stebers Mighty Blue Patsy
Stebers Ole Blue Betty
Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee II
AND SEVERAL YOUNG ONES IN THE MIX

Old Post 09-27-2019 02:28 PM
steeb_63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steeb_63 Click here to Send steeb_63 a Private Message Click Here to Email steeb_63 Find more posts by steeb_63 Add steeb_63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs don't take hard hunting well. Some thrive on it.

Most are not given the best opportunity to succeed because the handler can't recognize which one they actually need.

Old Post 09-27-2019 02:28 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote