UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog food discussion?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
@jjbackwoods
UKC Forum Member

Dog food discussion?

Coming into the warmer season I'm curious what everyone is using for hounds that run every night? I use science diet and always have because it's what dad always had. The price is starting to get a little salty with two hounds and considering adding one this spring. What is a good food at a good price without compromising to much quality?

PR J&J Backwoods Spazz
PR J&J Backwoods Paizley

https://www.facebook.com/jjbackwoods
/
With GOD all things are possible.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-2019 02:03 AM
@jjbackwoods is offline Click Here to See the Profile for @jjbackwoods Click here to Send @jjbackwoods a Private Message Click Here to Email @jjbackwoods Visit @jjbackwoods's homepage! Find more posts by @jjbackwoods Add @jjbackwoods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

Feed Purina Dog Chow to adult dogs, and Purina Puppy Chow to pups up to a year old.

Old Post 03-15-2019 02:54 AM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Ridge
UKC Forum Member

dog food

feed joy dog food been around forever and is the best I have ever used by a long shot

DANS HUNTING GEAR FOR ALL YOUR HUNTING NEEDS
BBCHA STATE REP FOR MARYLAND, PA., DELAWARE,VIRGINIA AND NEW JERSEY
Member of BBOA[past board of director]

Old Post 03-16-2019 12:43 PM
Flat Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Ridge Click here to Send Flat Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Flat Ridge Find more posts by Flat Ridge Add Flat Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

this question has been asked a hundred times on here with a hundred different answers. Also what is available near you. It all boils down to what you can afford and the dogs preference. I personally feed dog chow to adult dogs and puppy chow to puppies. I will also say science diet is some of the worst food I have found for active dogs. That is just my opinion.

Old Post 03-16-2019 02:40 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

this question has been asked a hundred times on here with a hundred different answers. Also what is available near you. It all boils down to what you can afford and the dogs preference. I personally feed dog chow to adult dogs and puppy chow to puppies. I will also say science diet is some of the worst food I have found for active dogs. That is just my opinion.

Old Post 03-16-2019 02:40 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Re: dog food

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Ridge
feed joy dog food been around forever and is the best I have ever used by a long shot

This feed co is an hour from me...I thought they went out of bizz...Used to like it...Just started feeding Pride "in the black bag' ...I think dog chow is solid, but heavy steady hunting watch em cuz all a sudden they get pretty skinny fast on it...plus I aint messin with the rewards program anymore...liked the $7 checks better

Old Post 03-16-2019 04:23 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Think about it....

quote:
Originally posted by SHORN

X2

The subject has been beaten to death...everybody has their own opinion. But think about it and do your research. I feed Purina chow because it is reasonable and the quality is there. BUT when really pushing a dog or keeping one healthy over the cold winters up here in the North you need to supplement. I have friends that I call extreme athletes that partake in 100 mile bike rides, marathons and a few run the triathlons. Some of them need up to 7000 cals a day to function when training. Same as any dog you are going to push alot during the week no matter what you feed if they are really putting time in they need the extra cals.

To me an expensive high protein high fat dog food is a waste of money in the off season when I can feed Purina Dog chow at $22.50 for 55 lbs and supplement as I do with eggs from my chickens and deer fat and meat scraps I cook and feed as needed. My dogs always look good and have plenty of go during season. And the secret to picking a good lower cost feed is the quality of ingredients and processing, that's why I stick with Purina. Guarantee somebody on here will have something bad to say about any feed there is out there so feed what you like, feed more fat and protein during workouts whether in a feed or supplement.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 03-17-2019 10:24 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtdodge
UKC Forum Member

Dog food expert

Watch this vet talk about how bad dog food is then make your decision

https://dogfoodexposed.com/190321A_m.php?n=tbam

Old Post 03-28-2019 01:35 PM
dirtdodge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtdodge Click here to Send dirtdodge a Private Message Click Here to Email dirtdodge Find more posts by dirtdodge Add dirtdodge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

If bagged dog food is so terrible, how can it be explained that literally millions of dogs not only subsist and live long lives and many actually work their butts off night after night and do so well after reaching even 10 years of age after being fed nothing their entire lives but bagged dog food? How is this possible?.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 03-28-2019 at 02:10 PM

Old Post 03-28-2019 01:44 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtdodge
UKC Forum Member

Food

Very true but there is a lot more added chemicals and who really knows what they're putting in the dog food. If you walked through a a dog food plant and seen what was actually put into dog food I'm sure you wouldn't feed bagged dog food again. Ever see how hotdogs are made? Dog food is what not good enough for even a hotdog. I've worked in human food plants and I don't eat what they sell now and its regulated. Maybe that's why cancer and every other epidemic we're having now. If you don't put good in you don't get good out. And you have no idea what's going in.

Last edited by dirtdodge on 03-28-2019 at 04:35 PM

Old Post 03-28-2019 04:32 PM
dirtdodge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtdodge Click here to Send dirtdodge a Private Message Click Here to Email dirtdodge Find more posts by dirtdodge Add dirtdodge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

Do some of you worry about what you eat as much as you worry about what your dog eats? Just curious.

Old Post 03-28-2019 04:54 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

U are what be u eat ! Soooooo yeah , I do

Old Post 03-28-2019 05:40 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Pet fooled

Yes I do worry about what I eat, and try to avoid the cheap plastic water bottles, in lieu of a better container, like Fiji water. Don't want the leeching effect into my body. I then reuse those Fiji bottles, and fill up with my tap. It tests really well here, and tastes just fine.
I think a lot of us have been programmed to trust a dog food company. If they say what is in this bag is dog food, then we believe it, and buy it. Now on to the next problem to solve in life....
But if you do some research, and perhaps check out under, Documentaries, in Netflix, look up, Pet Fooled. Open your mind, and study this.

Old Post 03-29-2019 03:11 PM
Budly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Budly Click here to Send Budly a Private Message Click Here to Email Budly Find more posts by Budly Add Budly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pet fooled

quote:
Originally posted by Budly
Yes I do worry about what I eat, and try to avoid the cheap plastic water bottles, in lieu of a better container, like Fiji water. Don't want the leeching effect into my body. I then reuse those Fiji bottles, and fill up with my tap. It tests really well here, and tastes just fine.
I think a lot of us have been programmed to trust a dog food company. If they say what is in this bag is dog food, then we believe it, and buy it. Now on to the next problem to solve in life....
But if you do some research, and perhaps check out under, Documentaries, in Netflix, look up, Pet Fooled. Open your mind, and study this.

Open your mind and study this? Do you trust a video on Netflix any more than you trust Purina?

Old Post 03-29-2019 03:23 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I feed the same feed year around. I’ve never understood switching feed in summer or winter. To the ones that switch feed during the year what are you’re reasons behind it. I feed native level 4 year around its 35/25 and will supplement it when needed. It may not be as cheap as dog chow but I think the quality difference is huge.

Old Post 03-29-2019 03:31 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I feed purina dog chow year round They from almost 10 down to 6. I suspect there is some bad stuff in all dog feeds that hurt the dogs longevity. But I am not qualified to make a complete dog food myself. So I supplement dog chow with wholesome fruits and veggies. Everyday I feed mine some carrot, grapes, apple, broccoli, melon, banana, sweet potato. Also, I give each dog a half 5 oz can of salmon or sardines each week and an egg. This makes their lunch so I feed them 3 times per day. I don't know for sure if this will help them at all but I hope it does. I doubt we'll ever get good information on what is really good for dogs.

Old Post 03-29-2019 11:37 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

i feed chow and when one gets thin i buy me some puppy chow and blend them my oldest walker passed a couple months back 15 and half there is such a thing as burning them up !

Old Post 03-29-2019 11:50 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote