UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Money, Money, Money
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
I sale pups and stud dogs as well and yes I get MONEY when I do that. But that isn’t why I do it.

I donated a pup for the family that lost their daughter. The girl that ended up with the puppy I donated has a huge smile on her face after the event that day. IF every pup I raised brought that much happiness to the person that ended up with the pup I’d GIVE them all away.

Good deal.
I donated a stud fee that brought in money for the family, now the whole litter will be sold and 100% from that will go to the family also.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:29 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

That’s Awesome

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:35 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, some guys that say they are in it for the money might not be. I guess it is just human nature to say that you hunt for the money. People make fun of you or say they don't understand when you start talking about personal satisfaction. That is "sissy" talk. Now "money" that is "manly". Only sissy's hunt for silly Trophys. Real men hunt for money. And who wants to be a sissy?

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I've hunted for both and enjoyed both so does that make me a half fast man or a half fast sissy?

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:56 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
I've hunted for both and enjoyed both so does that make me a half fast man or a half fast sissy?

Just a coon hunter like the rest of us that are honest.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:07 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Ask Tarbaby, but you might not like the answer. What really counts is what you think so which are you?

Hunting in both KC's hunts might be the best way to show that it is "all right" to hunt for personal satisfaction. And I just say that I am hunting for Performance Points when the money boys start making fun of me. It is hard for them to laugh when I beat them at one of their money hunts. And I sure do make fun of them when they show up at a UKC hunt and get beat. That might be why they don't like to. I guess that I should stop doing that but sometimes I just can't help it. Those manly money boys shore can't stand to get beat by a sissy UKC dog.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-12-2018 at 04:25 PM

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Right off the top of my head I can think of five different registries that I've hunted in and have titled dogs out in three of them. One I'll never hunt in again over paying registration fees and getting a certifiacte that said my dog wasn't registered and just once in one because of limited hunts in this area. Actually got cheated a time or two but looked at it as an education. Even still have stock certificates from a registry that no longer exist. Bet Mr. Tim has some of these too. I shook the winning mans hand and learned from mistakes and enjoyed it so make your own opinion.

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:29 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Depends on what day you ask me but to be honest I’d be out there weather I was getting paid of not. 2 weeks ago I’d said I do it for the money if I was getting paid I wouldn’t do it. I was lying to myself. We had a tragic accident in our family last week and I had to be the rock for my family. During this time I wasn’t able to do no hunting. Towards the end of the week I needed comfort and I knew my comfort and grieveing would come from above in a place not many go, deep in the bottoms with a dog.
My mind was so messed up I cut one dog with a collar (pup) he wasn’t doing things quiet fast enough for me so I cut x loose and got in the truck where it was warm. After 5-10 mins I look at my garmin and realize I’ve forgot to put a collar on him. First feeling I got was panic!! He’s not much but I’ve grown to like him. So now Im taken back to the days of drive and listen, drive and listen!!
I’m setting back on a ole mining road listening. I don’t know If it’s from the tragedy or the fact I didn’t have a collar on him but when that dog opened he was DONE!! The sound of that I cannot explain but it was absolutely beautiful even though i have heard it so many times. It was like I was never gonna hear it again!!
So to answer the question: yes I would hunt regardless if I was getting paid or not but if I wasn’t getting paid I wouldn’t be hunting in no hunts. My joy is hearing the hounds not competing. The money makes me compete I think.

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:36 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Right off the top of my head I can think of five different registries that I've hunted in and have titled dogs out in three of them. One I'll never hunt in again over paying registration fees and getting a certifiacte that said my dog wasn't registered and just once in one because of limited hunts in this area. Actually got cheated a time or two but looked at it as an education. Even still have stock certificates from a registry that no longer exist. Bet Mr. Tim has some of these too. I shook the winning mans hand and learned from mistakes and enjoyed it so make your own opinion.

Them stocks bought 1 house, built another house, started a feed supply store but best of all paid for the Best Disappearing ack in NC history, I hear he is living like a king at the beach.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:38 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I bought a world champion one time that had a letter from the vet said he was fertile as a turtle !! I don't know what dog they had checked but it wasn't him !!

I made my money back with him tho lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:15 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Several of the Breed Associations offer a $5,000 prize to the winner of the UKC World Championship. Is that not enough "prestige"?

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:34 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

Maybe all UKC hunters might be better off trying to show younger hunters that hunting for personal satisfaction is better since they are actually losing money in the money hunts. Instead they are trying to convince UKC to have money hunts. By doing this we are saying that money hunts are better. As some have said, we tend to be our own worst enemy.

Tell us how to show them?? Pay $15-$20 to compete in 1 registry and if you win you'll get personal satisfaction. Pay $20-$30 in 1 and if you win you get personal satisfaction, picture taken, 2x+ your entry fee back, $ towards a state race or possibly other races if you choose to pursue. Enlighten us..

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:36 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

Good to see a topic that sparks some real interest on this forum... I believe that as hunters we have a tendency to change are agendas or plans just like we do in everything else we do in life.. When I was younger all i wanted to do was own a powerhouse hound and travel to all the big hunts amd get my picture taken... I didnt think about the money it was more about competing with the best.. After realization set in that all of these big ideas meant a lot of time away from home and lots of MONEY I changed my thought process... I then went through a long period of raising and starting young hounds and selling them to some big shots with the idea of seeing them get the chance that they deserve.. Yes, sold some dogs that went on to win pretty big and it was exciting at first but that to went away.. Now I'm raising and training pups just like I always have amd enjoying it more then ever with no plans to sell dogs... Maybe we all just have to come full circle to understand what we want in this sport.... Sorry for the long post....

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:55 PM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Shane, it doesn't sound like there is anyway to enlighten you. There are a lot of people that will never change. It is a personal decision that everyone must make themselves. And what I think only pertains to me. Everyone must decide what makes sense to them. But if you sit down and add up what you spend in those money hunts and how much money you get, it can be enlightening. And maybe you should figure out how much money you can make from the Performance Program. Do you never hunt in UKC hunts? Why do you post and read what is going on on the UKC Forum? Why do you not just stick to the Prohound Forum? You must get some personal satisfaction from this Forum. Surely no hunters make any money from it.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-12-2018 at 06:10 PM

Old Post 12-12-2018 05:55 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Richard I hope this don't sound like I am a big dummy but here goes. We have beat this dead horse to a pulp. Now I didn't get but an 8th grade education and I know the folks at ukc probly got buissnes degrees out the wazzoo!! 1979 I hunted in my first ukc hunt probly 70 dogs at this local hunt all day long there were events food to eat , kids playing , at the night hunt if you had plus points come back eat breakfast you might get a trophy!! Then in the 80's ukc changed the format nothing was broken clubs were thriving. You know why they changed it ? Because they couldn't keep up with the paperwork. Now here we are today Clubs are folding , no interest !! Nothing they do is good enough. So they change programs more wins to make a title. Give some money away at big events but you got to pay into there programs all year to get there. What's the first thing they did cut the paper work in half ! Sound familiar !! From the outside looking in I know who it's going to bennifit the most and it ain't the local clubs !!

All they had to do was change a couple rules and the old format give more opertunitys to win everybody would have been happy. Not everybody wants to rub elbows with the big doggies they just want a good meal ,have fun with their family , and get a trophy at the end of the night. If they want $$$ the mini slams would do that a couple rule changes they would flourish.

You see a lot of those guys ukc is trying to appeal to nobody else likes or trust except ukc. Some of those are running events for them and I guess they don't even know it. Because when you tell them they act shocked.

Just a big dummy's opinion

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 06:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

Richard how much money do you spend if you go to 4 ukc hunts in one month. they are all at least 45 min from home and your hunting a reg. dog and an average of 3 to 4 dogs at each hunt.

Home of
PKC CH GRNITECH PR Newports Late Night Chill HTX
PR eel river rye
PR late night walker texas ranger (tex)
PR Big Walnuts Late Night Branch

proud member of The Deer Creek Cartel
Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 12-12-2018 06:41 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Richard
You know why they changed it ? Because they couldn't keep up with the paperwork.
Nothing they do is good enough.
You see a lot of those guys ukc is trying to appeal to nobody else likes or trusts............
Tar

Oh my goodness, I thought that the new format changes were because you asked for them? I should have saved some of those old posts. You are right about the nothing they do is good enough. Y'all ask for something. UKC gives it to you. Then y'all say you don't like it. I surely don't understand.
UKC as a kennel club is made up of thousands of coonhunters. No two of them are alike. There is no possible way to please all of them. Trying to please the majority is like walking a tightwire. Tarbaby, it is a shame that they can't just change everything to please you or run the hunts and bench shows the way that you want them to. You are "special" but not that special. They have to listen to suggestions from coonhunters from all over the country and then try to blend them together. No single person or group will get all that they want. If that were true Redbones would all get a 100+ point lead at the beginning of a hunt.

Old Post 12-12-2018 06:54 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

What the......?

People cried about hunting for the 'yellow' slip and $10 plaque/trophy?
Now crying that there hunting for $$$$$?

Sound like some will never be happy,unless 'hunting' from their keyboard? lol

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:01 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard i love ya like a brother but I disagree ! If all you ever do is go mostly to major hunts it paints a different picture. I am down here in Death Valley it's almost over here. Ukc is a buisness and it is ran like one and rightly so !! But no I don't think they listen to the little guy as much as they do their payers and payers their shakers and movers the Rock and rollers lol.

But hey I am a big dummy ok !

Tarbaby

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:02 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Richard I hope this don't sound like I am a big dummy but here goes. We have beat this dead horse to a pulp. Now I didn't get but an 8th grade education and I know the folks at ukc probly got buissnes degrees out the wazzoo!! 1979 I hunted in my first ukc hunt probly 70 dogs at this local hunt all day long there were events food to eat , kids playing , at the night hunt if you had plus points come back eat breakfast you might get a trophy!! Then in the 80's ukc changed the format nothing was broken clubs were thriving. You know why they changed it ? Because they couldn't keep up with the paperwork. Now here we are today Clubs are folding , no interest !! Nothing they do is good enough. So they change programs more wins to make a title. Give some money away at big events but you got to pay into there programs all year to get there. What's the first thing they did cut the paper work in half ! Sound familiar !! From the outside looking in I know who it's going to bennifit the most and it ain't the local clubs !!

All they had to do was change a couple rules and the old format give more opertunitys to win everybody would have been happy. Not everybody wants to rub elbows with the big doggies they just want a good meal ,have fun with their family , and get a trophy at the end of the night. If they want $$$ the mini slams would do that a couple rule changes they would flourish.

You see a lot of those guys ukc is trying to appeal to nobody else likes or trust except ukc. Some of those are running events for them and I guess they don't even know it. Because when you tell them they act shocked.

Tar

So you are saying UKC is in it for the money? Our Money, they not interested in all that self gratification, Pride of owning the top dog registry? We just do the WORK and PAY them. Hummmm.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:03 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

4 UKC hunts = $80...win 2 × .4 PP's = $80. 4 PKC hunts = $120.. Win 2 = $110-$$170... So there isn't a lot of difference in the money. It all comes back to prestige or personal satisfaction. But you are attempting to compare apple's to oranges.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-12-2018 at 07:22 PM

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:03 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
So you are saying UKC is in it for the money? Our Money, they not interested in all that self gratification, Pride of owning the top dog registry? We just do the WORK and PAY them. Hummmm.

Well what you think ? They get the same money from the peekie poos and they don't have no events.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:05 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
..... But no I don't think they listen to the little guy as much as they do their payers and payers their shakers and movers the Rock and rollers lol.
But hey I am a big dummy ok !
Tarbaby

Oh my goodness, if you only knew how I fight with my brothers.

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:07 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Depends on what day you ask me but to be honest I’d be out there weather I was getting paid of not. 2 weeks ago I’d said I do it for the money if I was getting paid I wouldn’t do it. I was lying to myself. We had a tragic accident in our family last week and I had to be the rock for my family. During this time I wasn’t able to do no hunting. Towards the end of the week I needed comfort and I knew my comfort and grieveing would come from above in a place not many go, deep in the bottoms with a dog.
My mind was so messed up I cut one dog with a collar (pup) he wasn’t doing things quiet fast enough for me so I cut x loose and got in the truck where it was warm. After 5-10 mins I look at my garmin and realize I’ve forgot to put a collar on him. First feeling I got was panic!! He’s not much but I’ve grown to like him. So now Im taken back to the days of drive and listen, drive and listen!!
I’m setting back on a ole mining road listening. I don’t know If it’s from the tragedy or the fact I didn’t have a collar on him but when that dog opened he was DONE!! The sound of that I cannot explain but it was absolutely beautiful even though i have heard it so many times. It was like I was never gonna hear it again!!
So to answer the question: yes I would hunt regardless if I was getting paid or not but if I wasn’t getting paid I wouldn’t be hunting in no hunts. My joy is hearing the hounds not competing. The money makes me compete I think.

Jason somethings put it all in perspective. Just recently we had a discussion on here about increasing a clubs numbers and one of my statements was a club should be like a refuge. Some spent the only extra $50 they have on gas and entry others have plenty but all need the same thing to leave life's troubles at the door and hang out with a group though from all walks of life these dogs and a little friendly competition is something they all have in common whether they are hunting hoping to earn that $ back or just hopes of maybe a win.
Our thoughts and prayers have been with your wife and family as a momma I cannot imagine her pain.

Back to $'s there is nothing wrong with owning dogs that pay for themselves for decades in the past dogs have done just that through putting food on the table or hides in the freezer, way more so than those of today at one time it was necessity . The $ thing is nothing new it is just a little different. Many times in the early years around here dogs kept the lights on and a little extra in the fridge sometimes even Christmas under the tree. Just because a person occassionally comes out ahead doesn't mean they only hunt for the money very few if honest with themselves can claim that and even fewer make any extra in the long run.
For those of you downing those who enjoy being successful monetarily I challenge you to send any checks you get back or donate it all to a good cause. Some here that have started the criticism of others sure do seem to enjoy those checks that come in the mail.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:58 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
4 UKC hunts = $80...win 2 × .4 PP's = $80. 4 PKC hunts = $120.. Win 2 = $110-$$170... So there isn't a lot of difference in the money. It all comes back to prestige or personal satisfaction. But you are attempting to compare apple's to oranges.
100% of cast winners in PKC get paid, I believe Todd posted less than 40% of UKC eligible hounds are permanently paid up so it's more like comparing apples to raisins.

Old Post 12-12-2018 07:59 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote