UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Money, Money, Money
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I just ordered 3 copies of "Where The Red Fern Grows" from Amazon to give out as Christmas presents. Matt do you want me to get a 4th one for you?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-11-2018 05:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

yea that would be great lol sry but im loving all this

Home of
PKC CH GRNITECH PR Newports Late Night Chill HTX
PR eel river rye
PR late night walker texas ranger (tex)
PR Big Walnuts Late Night Branch

proud member of The Deer Creek Cartel
Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 12-11-2018 07:16 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

to answer your question Richard im not just doing this for the money I absolutely love just hearing a dog. I just like the fact that I can win some money doing it that's all.

Home of
PR eel river rye

Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 12-11-2018 07:20 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Is it the money or the personal satisfaction that you get from knowing that your dog won you the money? I mean you pay $30 entry to win $55-$72 and that doesn't include gas. And even the best only win 50% of their casts. So is it really about the money or is it about the personal recognition? A lot of younger hunters get more personal satisfaction from winning PKC/money hunts because they think that they carry more "prestige". After all they are "Pro's". Now that is a UKC public relations problem but it is perpetuated by the interweb and it's members. And it doesn't help that PKC puts out all of those "lists" to give their members personal recognition. PKC keeps track by money earned. UKC keeps track by cast wins or points. UKC has started posting lists and maybe that will help but they are way behind.

Old Post 12-11-2018 07:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Money money money

I know guys that say it's not about the money and only go to UKC hunts. Some title their females so the pups will bring more MONEY, some grand their males so they can stud them for MONEY, some just put a title on a dog cause it'll bring more MONEY, but in 1 way or another most comp hunters directly or indirectly go for the money..

Old Post 12-11-2018 10:36 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Shane

You raised some valid points , these things do add value to our dogs. However, I really believe it's more for the prestige than the money. I never sold pups or put a dog up for stud, it was more for the "bragging rights" to win the hunts. I don't have a problem with the money aspect of hunting, it's just not feasible for one to actually think they are going to make money coonhunting. One better enjoy the sport and competition for itself, or they are going to be highly disappointed. I wish there had been the big dollar hunts back when I was younger, I would have pursued them, but for the prestige and not just for the money. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2018 10:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave we did not have money hunts at all back then. We skinned coons ! We had no distractions of other kc's!! Ukc was all we had. Now people have choices. Remember getting to go to the A&W root beer stand once a month it was a treet too ! Now there is a burger joint on every corner and they have to make changes to compete daily !!

I am kinda glad I got old it's so complicated !!

Tar

Old Post 12-11-2018 11:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

We definitely have seen many changes over the years, some good and some not so good. I remember the time when there were not many coons in my area, but thanks to the club's and individuals stocking coons, we now have a decent population. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2018 11:25 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
My thoughts for years and I stick by them. Anyone who makes a profit off coondogs is a crook. Be it selling dogs, puppies, comp. hunts or whatever.

Let the games begin. They have done the exact opposite here. Its kill everything in the tree and lay'em out on tailgate and post on facebook for the prestige. Its a 🔢's Game ! Makes their ego's and dogs better they say. Now coons are few in most places. We use to have decent coon population. Others don't leave them because they know that others gonna kill them when they hunt in same area.

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:32 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

You just can't catch a break, even on your trip to Arkansas, your dog treed up the biggest tree in the woods, knowing your eyes were not that good. Did you find that coon? Dave

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:42 AM
newport
UKC Forum Member

all this talk about prestige is the not more prestige in winning $30000 than just a trophy. I sure would feel like it and im sure anyone would. I absolutely agree with you Richard there is a lot of prestige in seeing your name high up on those lists

Home of
PR eel river rye

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 12-12-2018 12:45 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There is no "prestige" in the $30,000. The "prestige" is in knowing that you and your dog won the hunt. I can go rob a bank and get $30,000. Would there be "prestige" in that?

While we are talking about prestige and personal satisfaction, is there more prestige and personal satisfaction in knowing that you outhandled everyone and won a hunt or knowing that your dog treed more coons and won a hunt?

Is there more personal satisfaction in knowing that the dog you trained won a hunt or knowing that you handled someone else's dog and won?

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:27 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Richard I mess with you a lot but I do understand!! You and me get our prestige from the same place.

When you walk outside and you can hear those puppy's whining you been waiting on and you go look to see how many you got when they get bigger you pick out yours you set out in the yard playing with it till it gets big enough to hunt then one day you can compete with it and when you win you are proud there is no better feeling.

Am I close ?

This pup is the 5th generation of these dogs born here if not for him I wouldn't even care to go much !!

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, Tarbaby and I think alike or are the same??? I don't know whether to be proud or go hide my head in shame. Tarbaby, I am hunting the 7th generation now and working on the 8th. And people try to say that I don't know where my dogs come from.
And y'all think that I don't know about hunting for money? My name was on those lists when some were still in kindergarten. I still remember when I took Lucy and Sally to my first PKC Nationals to hunt for that $30,000. I was just a youngster and I didn't care about the money, I was just proud to be there with my Redbones and get to hunt against those big name Pro's.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-12-2018 at 02:02 PM

Old Post 12-12-2018 01:51 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I know lol. Those that don't do it don't understand!! You never get to old to enjoy a puppy ! That's what I enjoy the most babe is 5 yrs old I put a title on her because she deserved it next June old tar will hopefully be enjoying anouther litter of pups that will probly finish me up lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:01 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If Rhonda and Bella hold up, I should have 5 or 6 litters left. And who knows, I might get a female out of them to make it. My goal is to hunt a 10th generation pup.

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:07 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Me and Ralph moved and filled up feeders yesterday we use car tires with the rims still in them because of the hogs it's time for the pups to go and leave the old dogs home. I am so sore my hair hurts but boy are we having fun.

Everybody has their role they play I always enjoyed training a good pup.

Tar

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:13 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So Tarbaby, you don't comp hunt for the "money"?

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:18 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Why crap no !! I would have to win a million dollars to make back what I spent lol. But unfortunately the $$$ hunts down here got to where they are about the only game in town I enjoy them from time to time.

But those boys outrun me if I wanted to look at that much A$$ all night I could take $20 worth of $1 bills and go to the strip joint and have a lot better time............. But Mrs tar wouldn't let me go there either.

Lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:27 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

If you are hunting for just the money you are hunting for alllllllll the wrong reasons.

I’ve personally NEVER sold a coon hide. Yes I hunted back in the 80’s when they were bringing good money but we just didn’t have the coon in the mtns of Southwest Va to kill them.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:44 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I like Money, I hate loosing money, I would hate it even more if it cost me $300 a month to hunt my own dog, you guys said $700 to hunt someone else dog was a fair price (I wonder if he’s in it for the money Hummm) if he is then he’s doing it for all the worng reason LMAO, I like coon hunting, I like raising one litter a year, I like it even more when I sale the pups cause I get paid, I like it more than that when I sale the one I kept an got it started cause I get paid, I like when people breed to my stud cause I get paid, I like it when people buy my feeder candy cause I get paid, I like making money from my hobby, I do it for all the right reasons and I Get Paid!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:14 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There is no "prestige" in the $30,000. The "prestige" is in knowing that you and your dog won the hunt. I can go rob a bank and get $30,000. Would there be "prestige" in that?

While we are talking about prestige and personal satisfaction, is there more prestige and personal satisfaction in knowing that you outhandled everyone and won a hunt or knowing that your dog treed more coons and won a hunt?

Is there more personal satisfaction in knowing that the dog you trained won a hunt or knowing that you handled someone else's dog and won?

why do you guys always take everything I say and turn it around I feel like im arguing with my wife here. what you just said is exactly what I mean the dogs I take to hunts are my own dogs that I have trained or helped train if I co own them with someone. I was simply stating to me winning $30000 hold more prestige than some trophy because every other guy that will be running for that has put there time in to and if I was ever to win that it would hold a higher prestige to me. im not saying guys that hunt say the ukc world hunt don't put their time in because they do. to me the other is higher on what I would want to achieve. im not saying that I wouldn't be happy with a ukc world or national champion but I just hold the other in higher regard

Home of
PR eel river rye

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:14 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I sale pups and stud dogs as well and yes I get MONEY when I do that. But that isn’t why I do it.

I donated a pup for the family that lost their daughter. The girl that ended up with the puppy I donated has a huge smile on her face after the event that day. IF every pup I raised brought that much happiness to the person that ended up with the pup I’d GIVE them all away.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:20 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, it sounds like you need to be using your pr skills to convince the guys around you that hunting for personal satisfaction is better instead of trying to convince UKC to have money hunts.

And UKC could increase their personal recognition of cast winners at local hunts by posting more accesible and timely lists of Purina Race standings and Performance Point earners.

Maybe all UKC hunters might be better off trying to show younger hunters that hunting for personal satisfaction is better since they are actually losing money in the money hunts. Instead they are trying to convince UKC to have money hunts. By doing this we are saying that money hunts are better. As some have said, we tend to be our own worst enemy.

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:21 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Matt, if the UKC World hunt paid $30,000, would that give it more "prestige"?
And don't the money hunters actually put up that $30,000 by paying those high entry fees?

Old Post 12-12-2018 03:28 PM