UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > English: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Hooper Ridge English
Pages (18): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well Holly got to the timber last night for the first time since her accident. Though she is not anywhere near 100% she did tree a coon on the first drop and got treed on the second drop but no coon seen on that one LOL!

She was a little sore on her right front shoulder today, not putting full weight on it so I guess I will giver her a full weeks rest before I take her again. She has more heart than the cardiac unit at a major hospital, LOL.

She loved that I took her but her body was telling her she probably needed more rest and recovery. Danged pup liked to have mauled her to death but she pays no attention to that rascal anyway.

Good Hunting to all, and many thanks to all for your blessed prayers on Holly's behalf.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-27-2015 10:33 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Dave

I am glad to hear Holly and you made it to the woods we have been worried bout her and maybe in God's plans it kept you from pushing too hard also after your surgery! We are all getting older, hunter and hound. I'm hoping to stay at it as long as I can. Where does the time go Dave, when we were young bucks we used to believe we would never get older or even consider slowing down LOL! In my mind I still think I'm 18 HA HA!!!

But glad Holly is recovering and with someone who appreciates and loves that ole gal. Too bad you never got pups of her I sure loved her breeding Dave. Well I hope you don't mind I used your story in my American Cooner article to bring to light the risk that we don't always think about when we cut our dogs loose, be it tree climbing, wells, old wells, drain tiles or roads! Its getting harder and harder to find large tracts of safe land that the deer hunters haven't leased up or houses that have sprung up from non rural folks buying a little piece of country and not understanding the benefits of hunting and against it. Seems like our young folks are more into high tech phones and gadgets and less and less into hunting.

Oh well sorry to ramble, hope all is well down in your neck of the woods. Still planning a hunt your way with John Walters, his dad is not good so he has been spending a lot of time with him and we are hoping to get together soon he likes his little female off my Bluspeck dog. Talk with you soon Dave.

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Old Post 05-02-2015 01:04 PM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Hello Doug, Thanks so very much for your kind thoughts and prayers. You are right in that we are all getting older and its happening way too fast. I truly appreciate how much you understand the bond between hound and man when the hound is one thats Oh so very special.

I thank You for touching on that very subject in your story. Many folks see hounds as machines or tools provided to further the success in a competition events or to put hides on the wall in the winter time. But for some of us, our prized hound becomes a part of our heart and soul. They become a part of our personality. We love the fact that they give their very all every time they are cut into the timber to find Mr. Raccoon. They enjoy pleasing us more than we enjoy the opportunity to provide for their every need. We are blessed by our God to be able to be their master, as the truly good ones touch our hearts in ways that only our true friends and family can do.

Hope you do get to make it down our way and I hope Holly is able to preform at some level when you do. I know what John is going through with his father as my father is in need of 100% care since his stroke and we are doing all we can to keep this man , who was truly born 100 years behind the current lifestyle of the majority of our citizens, engaged in the life he now lives.

Again I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and please keep posting those great pics of Ole Bluespeck and his offspring. I love reading and seeing their progression.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-03-2015 05:43 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timberchuck
UKC Forum Member

You can't keep a good hound down.

Dave I'm so glad to see that Holly is shaking the timber again. Looks like she will be just fine. Thanks for sending me the copy of that old set of papers. They are special to me. I called Neil Giffin and told him what you did for me and could not get off the phone for over an hour. lol He told me storys about most of the old dogs on there and was tickled to know some of old Ja Bo s blood is still around.
My God bless you as he surely did Holly.
Vic

Old Post 05-04-2015 04:14 PM
timberchuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timberchuck Click here to Send timberchuck a Private Message Click Here to Email timberchuck Find more posts by timberchuck Add timberchuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Oh My Vic, words cannot express my gratitude to You and Neil for that wonderful book. I am so very much enjoying reading and re-reading every cross Neil talks about. I am a nut for identifying certain traits and characteristics within my hounds and the information passed along in this book is absolutely a treasure of gold to me. I cannot thank each of you enough for first documenting these old crosses and then secondly sharing that information with me.

Speaking of the blessings God continues to pass along through these Ole hounds. Yes Holly is coming along pretty good now and for that I am truly blessed. Secondly, when I went to feed her yesterday, I noticed she had just started to drip a little so it looks like she just may very well be starting to come into heat. After reading these stories provided by You and Neil, I have decided to attempt to breed Holly to my 9 year old Gr. Nt. dog that is a direct son of my old Rocket dog. You see Rockets daddy, Nt.Ch. Raw Dawg Rowdy is a Great grand son of Broussards Beech wood Man on his daddy's side, and a great great grand son of Broussards Beech Wood Man, on his mommy's side. So Rocket was doubled up on Man and thus this takes him to Beech River Jabo as well.

Holly is double Broussards Beech Wood Man as well, but she is a couple generation further away from him than my Gun dog is. Holly's grandmother, Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Dolly is double Raw Dawg Rowdy, as is my Gun dog. This Dolly was directly out of Rowdy on her top side and she was a grand pup of Rowdy on her mothers side. This little female was marked like the original Mayles Beech River Dolly, who was directly off Broussards Beech Wood Man. She was predominantly white with a red diamond dot in her forehead with red ears. As soon as I get some time I will post some pics of some of these old hounds and their unique markings that are mentioned in Neil's stories.

So if I can get pups out of Holly and Gun, they will go back to Beech River Jabo 4 times in their extended pedigree. (7/8 generations)

Some of my friends over the years have commented to me about the fact that I tend to stay so close to the line that I started with back in 1970 with my Dad. I always told them, this line of dogs seemed to have as much coon treeing ability as any dogs I have drawn through the years, and they don't chew. they don't jack a tree, and they are colder nosed than most, and they seem to be able to out strike, out track, and out locate most dogs they are set down beside of. I guess I'm probably just a little partial but that is just some of the reasons I have stayed with this line of hounds as long as I have.

Thanks again Vic for all you have done, Neil's stories makes me think I need to document these crosses made by my father and I and take our linage, (the spin off of the original line) from 1970 to present. Some of the stories Neil speaks of, can be resurrected again in similar fashion from my experiences with these old hounds. I don't know if I will ever get it done, but I really need to take a shot at it just to document the last 40 years of my experience with these hounds.

God Bless my friend, Again I cannot thank each of you enough for what you so willingly shared with me. Take Care for now!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-04-2015 08:53 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Sure thing Doug, these stories are (in my opinion) pure gold when it comes to some of the coon hunts of yesteryear.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-07-2015 03:24 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well we will see if pups are in our future as Holly did breed last week. She is doing much better now. So when I am sure that she is pregnant, I will contact those of you that had expressed an interest in a pup, and then take a few bookings.

I absolutely appreciate each and every person who has shown interest in these hounds and thank you all for helping to keep this old line moving.

We will be turning Ole Holly loose next week to see if she still remembers how to tree a coon, lol. Maybe then I will post some pics of my old mutt.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-17-2015 02:35 AM
shelbabiggs
UKC Forum Member

DAVE GLAD 2 HEAR HOLLY IS DOING GOOD. HOPE SHE TOOK FOR YOU. I HAD THEM 2 MALES OUT OF GUN AND SHELBY THEY ARE BOTH GOOD COON DOGS. 1 IS AROUND SEMON OH OTHER VA THEIR WAS 11- 2 -13 SHOTS OF TYMES BLOOD IN THEM. SHELBY PUT SOME LUMIS BLOOD ON HER MOTHER SIDE IN THEM. THEY TURNED 4 YRS OLD APRIL. PRETTY SURE THE ONE HAS PUPS ON THE GROUND. BY NOW PROB STORM. IF DEMON WOULDN'T GOT HIT BY CAR I WOULD STILL HAVE HIM. VERY NICE CROSS. HOPE HOLLY GIVES YOU A GOOD LITTER FRANK

Old Post 05-17-2015 05:07 AM
shelbabiggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shelbabiggs Click here to Send shelbabiggs a Private Message Click Here to Email shelbabiggs Find more posts by shelbabiggs Add shelbabiggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thank You Frank for the well wishes. Glad those pups out of Gun and Shelby turned out OK for you. I'm sure hoping she caught and I'm also hoping to get some blue ones to choose from, LOL. Though Gun is red in color, he has lost of blue dogs on his top side which is Rocket, Rowdy, and my old Buddy dog that was the grand pup to Broussards Beech Wood Man.

Sure glad those pups out of Doug's LE dog turned out good for you. That LE dog sure is a good one and he is throwing some good pups.

Thanks again, Hope you make it to E-days!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-18-2015 02:38 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Looking forward to E-Days

Wishing all my Fellow English Fanciers the very best of luck next week at our annual English Days get together.

My son has been working hard to get his female ready to roll and I must say he seems to be doing a nice job as every tree she is making we seem to find the coon.

Her name is Babe and she is off My Holly female and my old Gun dog. I won't be hunting Holly this year at E-days so hoping we have some good hunting with this little female.

We went last night with Holly (1) drop, and Babe and Sam on two more drops and man was it hot!! Seen a coon in all trees though, and I sure had a blast seeing those Hooper Ridge hounds making it look easy. We have a tune up hunt at our local club Friday night, so we will see how that one shakes out before we go to the big dance next week, LOL!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-28-2015 03:28 PM
HEADLINESKENNEL
UKC Forum Member

Just wanted to thank you for the great guiding and judging tonight and to wish you and your boy good luck next weekend.

Old Post 05-30-2015 09:00 AM
HEADLINESKENNEL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HEADLINESKENNEL Click here to Send HEADLINESKENNEL a Private Message Click Here to Email HEADLINESKENNEL Find more posts by HEADLINESKENNEL Add HEADLINESKENNEL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timberchuck
UKC Forum Member

Dave. Looking forward to a visit at English Days. I'll be in the Willow Creek Booker camp. If I don't find you drop over there for a visit.
Vic

Old Post 05-30-2015 02:39 PM
timberchuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timberchuck Click here to Send timberchuck a Private Message Click Here to Email timberchuck Find more posts by timberchuck Add timberchuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Hello Tim, You are Oh so welcome! Your Little female did a nice job, and she still won in spite of human error, LOL.

I was just tickled to death to actually be back in a cast and watch hound and handlers competing and being a part of that. I'm sure glad that the the dog that did the best job on this night ended up winning the cast.

It sure is nice to draw with fine sportsmen such as you. That is what competition coon hunting was designed to be. A great competition, but not a win at all cost attitude. Congrats my friend, hope we can do it again.

Hello Vic, Yes I sure will look you up. I look forward to meeting you in person and talking dogs. Those folks at Willow Creek Kennels sure have some of the prettiest hounds in our English Breed. I don't believe I have ever had the pleasure of hunting with any of their dogs, but I can tell you they sure look like the type of hound I would like to have on the end of my lead strap. God Bless my friend and safe travels to you. I will certainly look you up next weekend!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 05-31-2015 12:38 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

This is Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun. This hound is 9 yrs old. He will be 10 in November. If you want some old blood up close, you may want to consider this hound.

His Daddy, (Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rocket) was born in 1995. His Grandpa, (Nt.Ch. Raw Dawg Rowdy) was born in 1985. Rowdy was a Great grand pup of Beech Wood Man on his top side and a Great Great grand pup of Beech Wood Man on his momma's side. Beech Wood Man was the son of the great Beech River Jabo hound of the mid to late 60's

Also Rowdy was double Hall of Fame, Bowmans Ladybird and double hall of fame Parkers Rambling Sue.

Cold Nose, Track driving, Big mouth, chop mouth tree dogs.

All the way ENGLISH!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 06-12-2015 at 08:46 PM

Old Post 06-12-2015 08:41 PM
Ancient Oak Eng
UKC Forum Member

Gun

Guys don't miss out on breeding to this line of hounds. Also you won't find a better guy to do business with, Dave is as honest as the day is long, a heck of a nice fella.

Old Post 06-13-2015 05:05 AM
Ancient Oak Eng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ancient Oak Eng Click here to Send Ancient Oak Eng a Private Message Click Here to Email Ancient Oak Eng Find more posts by Ancient Oak Eng Add Ancient Oak Eng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thanks AJ, I sure appreciate your kind words.

In this picture above is Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly. She made Nt.Ch. in 6 hunts. This picture was taken about 3 years ago late into our harvest season. She had the meat on this one. Holly has never treed a possum or backed a dog treeing a possum in her life. Never had to be broke, as she just never liked a possum.

Im pretty certain the good lord has blessed me with one more litter of pups out of this girl. I She is starting to show, and this is her 6th week of a 9 week gestation. I will start taking a few bookings on pups next week when I am absolutely sure she is gonna have pups, Thanks for reading!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 06-19-2015 05:33 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Hooper Ridge Big River Thrasher

Man did I have a blast last night watching my pup out of Big River Dan turn the switch (so to speak).

He went one on one with the masked bandit last night and though things were looking sort of tough at times he never lost his desire to show that rascal who was the big dog in that hollow.

He sure has a big beautiful bawl mouth, and his locate is going to be some kind a wonderful!!

Thanks Mark for allowing me the opportunity to own a hound off Dan. We are going to have a blast this summer, fall, and winter.

Good Hunting to ALL!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 07-02-2015 07:55 PM
timberchuck
UKC Forum Member

It does put a tickle in the belly Dave. Best of luck with him.
Vic

Old Post 07-02-2015 09:31 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Holly Update

Well Holly had her pups last Wednesday, but man has the luck been awful. I am no down to only females, three Red and two blue. Not sure how many will end up surviving. 3 were born dead, one she laid on and smothered, one died from who knows what. I am bottle feeding along with allowing them to nurse on momma, but right now just a bit frustrated.

Oh well, I guessing God must have wanted me to keep a female.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 07-15-2015 04:10 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Doug for the information. They are getting stronger each day.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 07-18-2015 03:26 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well been doing a little hunting the past couple weeks but it sure has been too hot to enjoy it, LOL. Pup is starting to tree with other dogs so its about time to see what he can do by himself. My step-son is getting married a week from Saturday and when I get that little event behind me, Ole Thrasher and I are going to see if we can tree some coon by ourselves.

Look Out Rascal cause we are a coming!!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 07-30-2015 10:11 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Wedding was Oh so nice. But now glad that little event is behind me, LOL. Ole Holly has one more week before she gets to wean her puppies, then we will get out to stretch her legs just a bit and see how her shoulder will hold up.

Corn is now setting on so maybe Ole Thrasher can run in to a dumb one once in awhile. Good Hunting my friends.

Could this be the next big thing at Hooper Ridge?

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 08-15-2015 at 09:36 PM

Old Post 08-15-2015 09:33 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

This one looks more Like Dad, but with less red spots. But I think she has her daddy's head. She is the 2nd best explorer at this age. She also is the most vocal of the group right now. Don't know if that will change but something I will keep an eye on.

Thanks for reading.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 08-21-2015 07:08 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Big River Thrasher

Well the last couple of trips to the woods have proved productive for me and my Thrasher pup. He has began opening on all tracks and treeing too. The heat may slow him up a bit this week but I'm gonna find out tomorrow night.

He seems to have gotten a little better fired up on them corn field races LOL.

Hope he runs wide open tomorrow night. I don't care much for a sneaky pete type coon hound, LOL!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Old Post 09-01-2015 02:33 AM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Pups

Hello Chris, Here are your two options. Ole one eared chocolate has to be registered as a cross bred since it doesn't meet the english breed standards but when bred to a registered english male, all pups from her that meet the breed standard can be registered as english. At least that is my understanding from as explanation received from UKC.
And of course the red tick has no issues. The red tick may be the most natural pup in the litter. She is "by just a bit" the most vocal, (easiest to make bark) of the litter. I had a tough time deciding between her and the pup I did decide to keep. I decided on the other pup because I like its head and dark eyes a little better, LOL. My Nephew is taking the only blues female so she is now off the table so to speak. Just let me know which pup you want or maybe you won't want any, but your sure welcome to one if you want it. Take Care.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 09-08-2015 at 10:34 PM

Old Post 09-08-2015 10:23 PM