UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Face Barking in a hunt
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnCox
UKC Forum Member

Face Barking in a hunt

I've heard from some folks while at hunts that you can hunt a dog in a hunt that face barks. As long as they don't take hold of another dog is that true? I've seen dogs in the past that would do it if dogs were jacking a tree so I'm assuming some of that happens from a dog who has been hunted with dogs that jacks a tree. So if a dog was in a hunt would it be scratched for that behavior?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2021 04:53 PM
JohnCox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnCox Click here to Send JohnCox a Private Message Find more posts by JohnCox Add JohnCox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here are what the rules say.
6. SCRATCHING OFFENSES
Dog Related Offense:
(b) For fighting or attempting to fight* during the authority of the Judge. When the aggressive dog is known, scratch the aggressor only. If not known, scratch dogs involved. Withdrawing to avoid dog being reported for fighting is not permitted.

*18. DEFINITIONS
Attempting to Fight: 1) Showing aggressive behavior and 2) interfering with another dog(s) during the authority of the Judge.

* My Thoughts- So if a dog is Face Barking there is a good chance it will be determined the dog is interfering with another dog. Looking at and barking in another dogs face will probably be determined as showing aggression and the dog will be scratched.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-21-2021 at 05:27 PM

Old Post 01-21-2021 05:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnCox
UKC Forum Member

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the response

Old Post 01-21-2021 05:27 PM
JohnCox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnCox Click here to Send JohnCox a Private Message Find more posts by JohnCox Add JohnCox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have heard a lot of handlers (those with face barkers) say that the rule means "no harm, no foul". If a dog doesn't leave then it hasn't been interfered with.
There seems to be a big difference of opinion. One man's face barker is another man's hard tree dog.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 01-21-2021 at 05:39 PM

Old Post 01-21-2021 05:37 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The dog has to be doing both showing aggression and interfering. Facebarking is not fighting so both criteria must be met. If the dog has not interfered with another dog it is not scratched. Simply looking at another dog while barking is not enough if the other dog is still able to tree.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-21-2021 05:38 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I do not like face barking but Redneck Mafia is correct.

Old Post 01-21-2021 05:52 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Call Wild Willy and you won't have to worry about it.

Old Post 01-21-2021 06:15 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Interfering

I don’t know ukc interpretation of interference but to me a dog wouldn’t have to quit treeing or leave tree to have interference.

Old Post 01-22-2021 03:55 AM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Face barking is not scratchable per the rules and UKC's previous interpretations of the rules.

You must have aggressive behavior AND interference. One is not enough.

The face barking would literally have to be bad enough to keep another dog from treeing.

Old Post 01-22-2021 06:20 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

That’s

A stretch to me Rip but if that’s what ukc says I’m good with it.

Old Post 01-22-2021 01:56 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Face barking is aggressive behavior....
When two or more dogs engage in face barking their interfering w/each other.
(JMO).
But as stated already, unless they roll, dogs involved be best to hold their get gound !

Old Post 01-22-2021 02:08 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Face barking is not scratchable per the rules and UKC's previous interpretations of the rules.

You must have aggressive behavior AND interference. One is not enough.

The face barking would literally have to be bad enough to keep another dog from treeing.

I know your correct, and since he's not considered aggressive and another dog makes it clear he's not having it and they get balled up while having that discussion, do you only scratch the corrector? But the face Barker did trigger a response so maybe he did interfere with another dog and he would be the one scratched

Last edited by sleepy head on 01-22-2021 at 03:35 PM

Old Post 01-22-2021 03:00 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Interpretation

The problem with this rule is everyone's opinion is different and hunters have their own interpretation. Aggression is Aggression boys. And Face barking is interference. If a judge see's a hound clearly face barking that dog should be scratched. The rule is worded so that a dog that is excited at the tree and jumping and lands on another dog does not get scratched. That action lacks aggression but he did interfere. Face barking you have aggression + interference therefore you scratch. And for those of you who say face barking is not interference make sure you train all your pups with that face barking/mean dog and see how many nice tree dogs you produce!

Old Post 01-22-2021 03:58 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Interpretation

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
The problem with this rule is everyone's opinion is different and hunters have their own interpretation. Aggression is Aggression boys. And Face barking is interference. If a judge see's a hound clearly face barking that dog should be scratched. The rule is worded so that a dog that is excited at the tree and jumping and lands on another dog does not get scratched. That action lacks aggression but he did interfere. Face barking you have aggression + interference therefore you scratch. And for those of you who say face barking is not interference make sure you train all your pups with that face barking/mean dog and see how many nice tree dogs you produce!

Wrong.
Our opinions are not important the rule is specific aggression and interference. One or the other is not enough. Facebarking alone MUST cause a dog to be interfered with before you may scratch.
And no one has advocated for a facebarking dog we have just stated as to what the rule is.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-22-2021 04:37 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The only opinion or interpretation that matters is that of UKC.

Old Post 01-22-2021 04:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Definition

Definition clearly states and I Quote SCRATCH FOR ATTEMPTING TO FIGHT ------ATTEMPTING TO FIGHT DEFINED ="SHOWING AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR". So in your OPINION face barking is not showing AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR? So like I said it all comes down to interpretation! I interpret aggressive behavior clearly as face barking and a lot of people do not. UKC is pretty clear on the rule but some of us chose to interpret it in a fashion that protects our aggressive hounds at the tree. I will cull him and you feed him. No problem just two different interpretations!

Old Post 01-22-2021 05:18 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Challenge

I challenge anyone to find me an ad of a coon hound for sale that states that the hound for sale is a hard, face barking, aggressive, tree dog. We all know they are out there for sale but why do people chose to hide that fact. Because it is a fault that's why and one we should be breeding out and scratching at the hunts. But that would not be popular. But this is just my opinion or interpretation you might say!

Old Post 01-22-2021 05:23 PM
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

The rule interpretation depends on whose dog is face barking. Plain and simple.

Old Post 01-22-2021 05:56 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Definition

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Definition clearly states and I Quote SCRATCH FOR ATTEMPTING TO FIGHT ------ATTEMPTING TO FIGHT DEFINED ="SHOWING AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR". So in your OPINION face barking is not showing AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR? So like I said it all comes down to interpretation! I interpret aggressive behavior clearly as face barking and a lot of people do not. UKC is pretty clear on the rule but some of us chose to interpret it in a fashion that protects our aggressive hounds at the tree. I will cull him and you feed him. No problem just two different interpretations!

Your equation is wrong. The rule is printed above so you can read it.

Attempting to fight has a black and white definition in UKC rules. You must have AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR AND INTERFERENCE for it to fit the definition of "attempting to fight". One without the other doesn't fit that specific, black and white written out rule.

Face barking does not meet the definition of attempting to fight.

Interfering with another dog does not meet the definition of attempting to fight.

Face barking that does interfere with another dog competing in the hunt DOES meet the definition of attempting to fight.

Without both you are breaking the rules and might as well be plussing possums.

No one on here is defending a face barking dog. We are just telling you the CORRECT way to score it based on the black and white written rules and this is also UKC's opinion of their own rules.

Old Post 01-22-2021 06:02 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

change

Then they NEED to change the rule.

Old Post 01-22-2021 08:51 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

This is something so easy to fix I don't know why it's a discussion.

Old Post 01-22-2021 09:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

easy fix per new rules. if dogs are on a lead it doesn't matter. they can be gnawing on each other. no scratch.
seriously this is why there are so any hard feelings after a hunt. these guys don't know the rules and try to twist them to suit them self that they think it means.
the rule has been forever i can remember....You must have aggressive behavior AND interference.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 01-22-2021 10:24 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Face barking/Rules

Mafia and Rip were 100 percent correct as usual, while no one may like face barking ( I do not ) it is NOT a scratchable offence. I will not tolerate face barking on any of my dogs pleasure or competition hunting. We can not let our biases interfere with what the RULES actual say and therein lies the problem with some folks. We may not like certain behavior or even certain RULES , but we should always go by these RULES to ensure everyone is treated the same from hunt to hunt. Please DO NOT let your personal bias sway you in interpreting any RULE. One should be able to accept the UKC RULES if you are going to hunt in UKC HUNTS, like the RULE or not. I am sure that most of us have some bias against at least one RULE, but that bias is on us like it or not and NOT on the RULE. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-22-2021 at 11:56 PM

Old Post 01-22-2021 11:09 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Mafia and rip are not correct either.
The rules are the rules.
I have had a dog that wouldn't tree with a face barker so if they was in a cast with a sissy dog like I owned would they say ok I'm scratched... yeah I don't think so.
But if they was correct and honest they would say yes scratch my dog I'll go home. Aggressive and interference per the other handlers word.
I'm not trying to pick on anyone but trying to make my point.

If your going to hunt competition a sissy dog is as worthless as the too Aggressive dogs.

Old Post 01-23-2021 02:06 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Mafia and rip are not correct either.
The rules are the rules.
I have had a dog that wouldn't tree with a face barker so if they was in a cast with a sissy dog like I owned would they say ok I'm scratched... yeah I don't think so.
But if they was correct and honest they would say yes scratch my dog I'll go home. Aggressive and interference per the other handlers word.
I'm not trying to pick on anyone but trying to make my point.

If your going to hunt competition a sissy dog is as worthless as the too Aggressive dogs.

Lol. Your response is a PERFECT example of personal bias vs ACTUAL RULE. Dave

Old Post 01-23-2021 02:13 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote