UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Visited coonhunting friends of Chey's in Ford City then Bernville. Stayed in Kittanning then Reading but we have been all over! If I had known sooner I could have looked you up we've been from W to E & N to S. Now in Virginia. Headed into Tennessee and Kentucky tomorrow. We are taking a loop down then across going home back through the boot heal of MO instead back across Ohio, Indiana and Illinois through St. Louis. No point in traveling home same direction as we left it is a road trip after all lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2019 06:17 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
These things produce you can have some.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:45 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Visited coonhunting friends of Chey's in Ford City then Bernville. Stayed in Kittanning then Reading but we have been all over! l.

We're about 60 miles from Kittanning. I have relatives there. Next time you get this way let me know.

Old Post 07-06-2019 05:30 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

All my maters getting ripe at the same time lol. I fried 2 gallons of catfish fillets wendsday and two more gallons last night plus all the trimmings I am eating out today after church lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-07-2019 01:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
We're about 60 miles from Kittanning. I have relatives there. Next time you get this way let me know.

Will do! May be a couple of years but we will be back.

Spent a couple hours in the weed patch/garden pulling weeds today. No ripe tomatoes here yet but lots of green ones. I did get 2 squash and 1 cucumber. Slim pickins today lol. I did drown some leaves from the squash that had bugs in some vinegar and water but I've got to get some diatomaceous earth on them in a bit and may get something to spray them with mixed up.
The tomato plants look like they are needing fertilizer, maybe some compost. I planted them in the landscaping Chey had did at the back of the house but he hadn't added any organic matter to it just that black fabric on the ground and woodchips.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-08-2019 12:21 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

True love

After reading that Tar had ripe tomatoes I got to thinking about the 1 not quite ready little one I saw. We worked in the yard till almost dark and I tried some bacon and told Cheyenne, who doesn't eat tomatoes, that one would probably be good on my sandwich. Just out of the shower and in his underwear he puts on his hunting light and went in search of it lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-08-2019 03:24 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Mrs tar fried some green ones yesterday man they were good. Out putting up tarps for the dogs shade and it started raining my garden needs it I just stood out in it a while shore smells fresh when it’s raining.

Tar

Old Post 07-08-2019 03:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Missing my garden, but it rained for 7 days straight then quit for 3 days and just rained for another night 6 days. It would be hard to keep up with the weeds.
Fried green tomatoes sound yummy.
So coonhunting lites come in handy for tip toeing thru the tomatoes?
We have hay down that will keep me busy tomorrow. Rode the ATV through the blueberries today, the deer have some of the bushes ruined. Sure aren't going to have many.

Old Post 07-09-2019 05:07 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Used neem oil spray last night for bug control. It is a great alternative to regular pesticides if you are anti that like I am. Be sure to not use during the heat of the day. Which reminds me those of you who wish to avoid round up for weed control... use salt! Farm salt works great at killing anywhere you don't want to have to weedeat, just sprinkle around mature trees, paths, walks ect. Mixing regular salt, vinegar and water up into a brine is a great alternative for your sprayer, rinse well when done and spray a little water through to clean hose and nozzle. Remember that salt is broad band so whatever you spray it will kill.
The cucumbers are full of blooms and lots of little ones. It will be pickle making time by the weekend! Mom was getting her jars out and ready. Despite having quite a few tomato plants and quite a few on the vine they are not producing like this amount of plants should be. The new growth is looking a little more promising but if they don't really take off soon we will be having to buy some if I want to can much. I have one okra plant so if we want a mess of fried okra I better head to the farmers market!
Mom's green beans did not do well with all the rain she was threatening to just mow them down but hasn't yet. The corn is finally looking like corn lol.
It is a good thing very few of us have to rely upon a garden crop to have food for the year. Yes, it is a nice supplement but thankfully not a necessity. Imagine how much crop failure affected those of yesterday compared to today!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-17-2019 05:42 PM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I've used neem oil before. It worked good for me. I was lazy this year and only planted tomatoes. Got them in pretty late because of all the rain and like you have no fruit ripe yet but when they come I will have plenty.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 07-17-2019 10:03 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Been a heck of a year for squash, cucumbers and tomatoes. Creek flooded and washed away my greenbean patch. Replanted now they are starting to bloom. Tried planting brussel sprouts for the first and last time. Buggiest things I've ever seen. Tried beets for the second time with no luck. They come up good get about an inch tall and just disappear. Cantaloupe patch is full. Turned hot and dry and they are all trying to ripen at the same time but thats really not a problem since I have a waiting list for them. Bring one in the house and it makes the whole house smell good.
Chasing the bugs, beagles and the lawnmower keeps an old man busy.

Old Post 07-18-2019 08:19 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Ah, the golden years. Sounds like you have lots of spare time on your hands lol!
I'm pretty sure the rain drown out my onions they are just gone. I think it just rotted them in the ground. The squash and cucumbers are going wild.
Don't know about the weather where you all are at but it iis hotter than the gates of hades here today, I'd take one of those rain days!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-19-2019 10:55 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have heat, severe thunder storms and now flash floods. Checked the blueberries tonight, between the critters and Chuck's pruning, there aren't many. A couple squash and okra came up in my flowers, not sure we'll have any to eat, I see a rabbit seems to be hanging around there.

Old Post 07-20-2019 05:16 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Made a great big batch of cucumbers and onions last night added a couple of tomatoes and a green peppers. Applecider vinegar, water, plenty of salt and pepper and a little sugar, my summer favorite! My girls came by and each took a gallon jar of it home. We also went blackberry picking over the weekend and I made 3 refrigerator cheese cake on graham cracker crust topped with blackberries and a few strawberries so they could each take one home. They are delicious if you've never had it you are missing out!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-23-2019 08:09 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Mom adds Miracle Whip to her cucumbers and onions. I'd always put the juice on my potatoes. Yummy. I always mixed stuff together and my brother came home from the service and nothing on his plate can touch each other.

Old Post 07-25-2019 06:28 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I like to put the cucumber mix in cottage cheese! Good stuff. Mom is saving a bunch of little cucumbers for my daughter-in-law and I to make pickles the rest she is sending to the neighbor lady who makes awesome relish that she shares with us.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-25-2019 07:57 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I got the day off today and decided it was a good day to do some canning. First batch of dill pickles are cooling on the counter. I'm going to can some squash because there is no way to use it all fresh right now, was thinking that a few jars to use in casseroles or soup in the winter may be nice. I've never canned it before but I think it will work out. Some salsa is next on the list and if Dalton doesn't find the stash it should last a while lol. The beets are looking about ready but I won't get to them today.
Last night part of the fam was over for dinner. Pork chops with apple and pepper jelly glaze, cucumbers and onions, cheesy squash casserole and fried green tomatoes were on the menu, I'm still full!
Hope everyone's gardens are taking off good since the rains have calmed down some. We did get a good steady one Sunday night and everything is still green. It looks more like early June around here instead of the end of July.
Happy gardening,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-31-2019 08:34 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Had a busy day today! It has continued to rain here every few days and everything garden is still going strong. This is the first August that I can remember that the only thing we are having to water is the potted plants and the dogs lol. I should have planted some watermelons! Today I pulled weeds 😝 as the back bed where the tomatoes and peppers are planted was a mess. I've got a cooler full of cucumbers to work up. Pickles anyone lol? It's 10:20 PM right now and I'm canning some more squash and have a batch of mango salsa in the cooker. I think the cucumbers are going to have to wait till tomorrow. I'm going to make some sweet pickles and try a batch of sweet pickle relish. Never made sweet pickle relish before but pinterest is a great tool for learning just about anything so I'm getting ready to look up some recipes while the salsa processes. I made a quart of jalapeno for Ash to take home and have a few more chili peppers to string up. The chilis get strung on fishing line and hang from a pot rack in the kitchen for use throughout the year. I always wait on them to turn red before I pick them. The beets are ready but I left them in the ground, wish Tar and his wife lived closer and I'd send them over. There are only so many hours in the day! The tomatoes are loaded with green ones they'll probably be ready about the time I'm getting ready to leave for Oaks. I did pull a couple of dead tomato vines up that for some reason didn't make it when the others look great. Interestingly there was one cage that had fallen over and the shoots were going through the wire and blooming I'm not so sure I shouldn't have just let it on the ground instead of standing it back up. I was going to give a report at the end of the season on what type of plants did the best but the dogs took my stakes with the names. Other than the Cherokee Purple and Golden's I have no idea which are which.
The grass is still green and it's thundering again, Chey is having a blast mowing every few days lol, seriously the guy loves to mow. I wish he liked pulling weeds! I need to plant flowers between every plant and he would keep it up for me lol.
Happy gardening everyone! If anyone has any tips, tricks or recipes feel free to share them here.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 08-18-2019 at 04:38 AM

Old Post 08-18-2019 04:35 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I may get some zucchini. I planted some in my flowers. Had a storm here today and it blew over half a peach tree. I think the deer wait at the edge of the yard listening for the peaches to drop and run in and eat them right away
My sister use to cut zucchini up in little chunks and can them with pineapple flavoring and some yellow dye... tasted like pineapple.

Old Post 08-18-2019 05:23 AM
yadkintar
Banned

We don’t get a bunch of rain the garden is over. I got cracks in my yard you can’t see the bottom of.

Tar

Old Post 08-18-2019 01:45 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It poured here again last night. Idk how much but we had flash flood warnings. The yard is still spring green!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-22-2019 08:27 PM
winchesterja123
Banned

Thanks for your sharing!. If you want to find quality gear & accessories, check out my web page Anarchy Outdoors

Old Post 08-24-2019 04:16 AM
winchesterja123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for winchesterja123 Click here to Send winchesterja123 a Private Message Click Here to Email winchesterja123 Visit winchesterja123's homepage! Find more posts by winchesterja123 Add winchesterja123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I have a zucchini big enough to pick tomorrow. I planted some seeds in my flowers.

Old Post 08-25-2019 02:09 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
I have a zucchini big enough to pick tomorrow. I planted some seeds in my flowers.

Good deal!
Everyone, I wouldn't click on the link in the post previous to RR. That is the user's 1st post and they posted a link to some site and have made no other posts. I reported to moderators hoping they would remove it but as of now it's still there. Just seemed a little fishy to me.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-25-2019 06:14 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I saw that too, Jen. Thought the same thing. Got the zucchini picked, but it's in the fridge. We baled hay today so we went out for supper.

Old Post 08-26-2019 04:34 AM