UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (12): « First ... « 10 11 [12]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

I would have went out for supper too! That tractor driving will wear a person out. My mom has been working hard all summer on the farm since dad passed but she seems to be enjoying having something to do. Here my brother has started on the second cutting. It keeps raining and the grass is still green and growing so he keeps making hay and mom will be right out there.
One thing I noticed in PA was everywhere they were bailing straw. Here there is some but it is mostly fescue we all put up in round bales for the cattle. I also noticed there were very few beef cattle up there. We do buy straw bales for the dogs and have one field that has alot of clover in it we have to hire done for square bales. We only have a round baler. The clover is like a treat when we have to get the cows up, they love it.

GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA
NAT GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(3) PKC PCH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST.
GRNITECH CH PKC CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-26-2019 05:07 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

Last night gumbo and it was good. Ashton brought over okra from her garden since I only had one survivor everything else came from mine except the celery. We added chicken, sausage and shrimp to it. I also found out that the FDA has pulled gumbo file from the shelves so I guess I'm going to need to dry my own sassafras.

2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST.

Old Post 09-09-2019 05:57 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We breaded and deep-fried the squash. All the others little squish got eaten by something. Still have a few blossoms, so there's hope for another one.
Farmers here make a lot of wheat and oat straw, Amish make spelt (?). I can remember when we where kids, my uncle from near Sandusky OH talked about growing soy beans, no one around here did. Now all the big Farmers plant them.
We mostly have dairy farms here, but there are a few beef. Last year, Walmart started something with milk and the dairy farmers were upset they wouldn't be able to sell their milk so I thought maybe they'd switch to beef, but they haven't. Some of the bigger farmers became overnight millionaires when they leased their land to the gas companies a few years ago.
Gotta head to the barn. If we would have kept bovine instead of equine, we'd probably be selling farm equipment instead of buying new. But I love to ride more than eat. Our 2nd crop is made..

Old Post 09-11-2019 05:15 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

Here it is mid September and all of a sudden I've got a ton of ripe tomatoes. I'm going to do some canning tomorrow!

Old Post 09-16-2019 06:00 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Well Jenn how did the canning go? Couple years ago I had an abundance of tomatoes and had this genius brainfart that I'll make some tomato juice. Never again. I've never worked so hard for so little. No more than I use it's not that far to the supermarket and I'll stick to fresh veggies other than green beans. I've got enough going on outdoors to keep me busy and I'll leave the canning to you ladies.

Old Post 09-17-2019 01:33 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Well Jenn how did the canning go? Couple years ago I had an abundance of tomatoes and had this genius brainfart that I'll make some tomato juice. Never again. I've never worked so hard for so little. No more than I use it's not that far to the supermarket and I'll stick to fresh veggies other than green beans. I've got enough going on outdoors to keep me busy and I'll leave the canning to you ladies.

Well, I ended up with Dalton's boys (3&7) no school every other Monday and my busy day of getting the tomatoes canned, house cleaned and laundry done went out the window! The tomatoes are going to mom's for her to work up and can lol.

Old Post 09-17-2019 05:14 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I love my tomatoes but on a sandwich or fresh out of the garden. My mom canned everything when we were kids. I never tried it. When we had big gardens, I froze everything.

Old Post 09-20-2019 04:17 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
I love my tomatoes but on a sandwich or fresh out of the garden. My mom canned everything when we were kids. I never tried it. When we had big gardens, I froze everything.

As a kid I remember snipping and snapping green beans till my fingers hurt and chunking laundry baskets full of tomatoes for canning! Growing up on a farm we grew what we ate and ate what we grew! With all the health problems of so many I can't help but think that more of us need to go back to this philosophy! That is one reason that I started this thread a few years ago. It does seem that many more are trying their hand at backyard gardens again and the idea that we can been more self reliant. If it all goes to hell in a hand bag someday some will have a better chance than others. Even though you may not have that big garden to have to care for you have the skills and tools if ever needed.
I remember my grandparents stories from the great depression. My grandpa's had stories of horrible hardships during these times. Both my grandmothers, though not from wealthy parents really don't remember life being much different. They were both raised on farms. With the animals and gardens they raised even though their parents had lost money when the banks failed never faced hunger.

Old Post 09-20-2019 08:35 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

My dad was born in 1926, he pretty much said the same thing. His dad drilled gas Wells so he said they had it better than most. He said he complained about only getting socks and an orange for Christmas and Grandpa smacked his butt for it and told him some people didn't have food.
He was 90 when he passed away and didn't quit hunting deer until he he was 87. He loved hunting on the farm, he bought from his parents.

Old Post 10-08-2019 06:45 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Forum Member

We are expecting our first frost at the end of the week. I've got pepper plants loaded down with peppers and quite a few green tomatoes that I've got to get picked before Friday.

Old Post 10-08-2019 07:12 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had frost last week. I got up to take my Parkinson's med, saw it and headed back to bed. My husband asked me what I was doing and I told him I was going into groundhog mode until it warmed up.

Old Post 10-09-2019 04:59 AM