UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hounds and Stephens Stock Curs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Hounds and Stephens Stock Curs

Have any of you guys ever hunted with a Stephens Stock Cur? How did they do? How do they compare with the hounds? I know this is the hound forum but just wondered how they stack up against a decent hound

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-01-2021 07:06 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Yes I've hunted with a couple nice Steven curs they tend to be more open and better tree dogs than some others also they have been but into several major bloodlines from original mountain cur to top feists for this very reason many curs are crossbred anyway including leopard curs really they are all just treeing curs anyway many lines including Stevens have some hound in them

Old Post 01-01-2021 08:09 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info Wart. I guess most of the guys on this forum are like me. I've never hunted with a Stephens or even seen one except in a magazine

Old Post 01-03-2021 03:44 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

I've always been interested in Stephen Stock Curs but I've never hunted with one. Several years ago I met the gentlemen who was the president of their association but I don't remember his name. He lived in Hawesville, Kentucky. Anyway, he was very nice but I never got to hunt with him. I'd like to go with a good one just to see them go.

Old Post 01-07-2021 03:34 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

I'm in the same boat as you Paul. I've never actually seen a Stephens other than in a magazine. I found out the current president of the Stephens association lives in Texas. He lives about 350 miles from me . After deer season is over I may call him and see if he would let me come check out his dogs. If I do I will let you know what I think about them

Old Post 01-07-2021 04:41 PM
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Stephens Cur

I feel compelled to share this story. Many Years ago, a buddy and I attended (I believe ) an English Days event either in Western Ohio or somewhere in Indiana, I just don't remember.

But Upon arriving, we walked onto the fair grounds And ran smack into a couple older gentlemen and they were talking about the Stephens Cur. Well I just had to open my mouth and I told this one gentleman, " I ain't never seen a cur that can work as cold a track as a hound" so why would any man want one??

This fella (both He and his friend) were BIG MEN. I'm talking 6'4" 300 Lbs size men) Stopped walking with us and said; Son, I'm gonna give you the name and address of a man that is right now hunting the closest thing I know of, of the ORIGINAL Stephens Cur stock. He wrote this mans name on a piece of paper, and said, You Look him up he lives near the Cleveland/Akron Ohio area. So I took his piece of Paper and thanked him for our conversation, and we went on our way to see all the hounds at this event.

This man AND his brother was the Original Mr. Stephens and his Brother that had started the ORIGINAL Stephens Cur line

It sure was an honor to meet these fine gentlemen, and somehow over the years I miss placed that little piece of paper that he had handed me of the man still breeding what HE FELT, was the closest this to the traits He and His brother had started with all those years ago.

Mr. Stephens told me "Son the original Stephens curs would strike, trail, and tree coons even in the daytime. He said You go look this man up, hunt with his curs, and I promise you they will, Strike, Trail, and tree you a coon you can see, consistently up till about noon. I sure wish I had followed up on his invitation, but I didn't. But I never forgot those two men and that twinkle in his eye as he told me how they would cold trail even in the daylight hours and tree coon in the daylight.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 01-08-2021 at 01:20 AM

Old Post 01-08-2021 01:17 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

That's a great story Rocketman. You never know. If you would have went and checked out those dogs you might have been hunting Stephens Curs all these years

Old Post 01-08-2021 02:42 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I had one that was as good as hound I ever went with.
Was at LBL squirrel hunting and this older gentleman came down my way road hunting and had a pretty male Stephens. We got to talking.
He didn’t like him because he opened on squirrels and he did it just like a coon track
I had a little feist. Well he and I hooked up and hunted about an hour and I ended up swapping dogs with him. And, I think that only 2nd or third time in my life doing that
I asked him if he had ever been coon hunted and he said that the little dog had never seen a coon.
That night we went coon hunting and he opened a time or two with the dogs just barking I believe to bark and treed with them but I again think he was just rattling his mouth.
He loved that coon.
The next track he opened good on and sure enough came treed on that one.
After that the little black joker was a coon dog. Could trail them up in the snow, lay them up in acorns flat fly in a corn field race.
Like every good dog I get I sold him but he absolutely done it all like a hound.
I would try one again but wouldn’t know where to start to get one

Old Post 01-08-2021 02:51 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

That's a heck of a way to get a good dog High Ridge. I really don't know how to go about checking out these Stephens dogs. The guy in East Texas is the only one in Texas that I know of that raises these dogs and he's 350 miles from me. Even if his dogs are no good it really doesn't prove much . There's Walker dogs on every corner and a lot of them are worthless . That doesn't prove that all Walkers are no good. When there are hardly any dogs of a given breed close enough to check out in person it's hard to know what percentage of them are worth messing with

Old Post 01-08-2021 03:14 AM
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Go on Facebook to the Stephen's page. They'll point you in the right direction.

Old Post 01-08-2021 05:29 AM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

The Stephens Facebook page is where I found the info about Dale Stanley. He's the president of the Stephens association. He lives in Texas. I'm going to try and go and check out his dogs. Thanks

Old Post 01-08-2021 03:47 PM
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Hes a good guy. Met him and his wife at the ncfba world hunt.

Old Post 01-08-2021 05:02 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Have you hunted with many Stephens Tug? If so what did you think of them?

Old Post 01-08-2021 06:25 PM