UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > One Minute Rule
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rutnstrut
New UKC Forum Member

25 for all

I agree with some other post with the strike rule, make it 25 for all dogs. These babbling idiot dogs need to be weeded out. I always thought the dog who trees the coon first is the better dog not who lucks onto a track and barks first.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:50 PM
Rutnstrut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rutnstrut Click here to Send Rutnstrut a Private Message Click Here to Email Rutnstrut Find more posts by Rutnstrut Add Rutnstrut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
If all dogs are treed you cannot cut you are leash locked.
Tar

The rule used to state that if one dog was treed you were leash locked but it was changed to the "option". When was that?

Old Post 10-23-2018 09:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

As long as one dog is trailing you can cut !! But if all dogs are treed you are leash locked. Let's say your dog is treed and scored by time you pull off all other dogs are treed so you are leash locked as you are walking one dog leaves it's tree and is minused you now can cut. Been that way long as I can remember but don't know exact dates.

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2018 10:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: Honalieh

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You are talking like the dig to tree first is the true coon dog, and the rest are to slow to keep up. That's nonsense, you are right about they all can't be first strike or first tree, I certainly don't advocate that. I merely pointed out the inequity of dogs getting separate tree POINTS, but not separate strike POINTS. How is this a tryout test, a competition should be as true a test as possible. You somehow want to imply that a dog striking and treeing independently is somehow less dog. If there weren't different coons to run and tree, they would not be doing so. Slick tree get minused, tracks they don't finish get minused. A dog only get plus POINTS for doing it right, striking and treeing a coon that is seen. If separate POINTS for separate coons is given to both strike and tree, it would be fair to everyone. Dave

I did not suggest that the dog to tree 1st is the true coon dog, just that it was the dog to tree 1st. Quite often the dogs that tree 1st, tree quick and tree slick. I remember judging a dog (I was non-hunting judge---back when it was required) that placed 6th in the ACHA World Hunt (83 I believe). She minused out in less than 1/2 an hour (2 1st strikes, 2 1st trees, 2 slick saplings). Later, went with a buddy that drew her. I advised him not to try to keep up with her on strike and tree points. You can't beat her, you have to let her beat herself. That's exactly what happened.

I do believe that a dog that can get struck, get treed, and HAVE THE MEAT before anything else does deserves more points than anything else does.

My personal experience is that the dogs I've had and hunted with that would split excessively (independent to a fault, would not honor another dog) is that they ARE NOT AS GOOD as the dog they are splitting from. That's based on the fact that the dog treeing 1st HAD THE COON. If you compared them to a slick 1st tree dog, that's an entirely different story. Example: One dog could hang on a tap or slick, and the other trees the coon. In that case, I want the one that trees the coon.

As far as the inequity of separate tree points, but not separate strike points, I agree. I would not give separate tree points either. The dog that strikes 1st (deer/fox), blows through the country, and switches over and falls treed with a coon gets 225. The honest coon dog treeing coon behind him gets less. I'd rather have the dog treeing coon behind the old trashy switchover dog. But, under the every dog can be a 1st tree dog rules, the old trashy switchover dog could WIPEOUT (points wise) the dogs striking and treeing coon behind him. The one may be better for competition, but it's not much good for coonhunting.

To me, treeing a COON 1st is better than treeing a coon 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. The same applies to strike, with the caveat that we can't always determine or prove what type of track they actually struck.

If it's possible for every dog to get 1st tree (I don't agree with it), and then for each of them to also get 1st strike (I don't agree with it), then why should they be turned loose together???

Old Post 10-24-2018 01:26 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh

Say you are playing baseball, you get up to bat and hit a homerun, next batter hits a homerun, who's homerun was the best? The RULES were made when all dogs were packing together and gave a fairly accurate indication of the best dog. Today's dogs rarely pack together, while separate tree POINTS judge each dog fairly, one set of strike POINTS does not. The argument for separate strike POINTS is just as sound as the argument for separate tree POINTS. Separate coons make separate tracks, just as they may tree in separate trees. Often we don't know the dogs are treed separate, but after we know the trees are scored accordingly, tracks could be scored the same way. The best dog should still run and tree more coons than the rest. A babbler should not have a strike advantage over an honest dog. Today's RULES favor a automatic strike dog, too many casts are lost by 25 strike POINTS.

Old Post 10-24-2018 01:51 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Say you are playing baseball, you get up to bat and hit a homerun, next batter hits a homerun, who's homerun was the best? The RULES were made when all dogs were packing together and gave a fairly accurate indication of the best dog. Today's dogs rarely pack together, while separate tree POINTS judge each dog fairly, one set of strike POINTS does not. The argument for separate strike POINTS is just as sound as the argument for separate tree POINTS. Separate coons make separate tracks, just as they may tree in separate trees. Often we don't know the dogs are treed separate, but after we know the trees are scored accordingly, tracks could be scored the same way. The best dog should still run and tree more coons than the rest. A babbler should not have a strike advantage over an honest dog. Today's RULES favor a automatic strike dog, too many casts are lost by 25 strike POINTS.
x2 , well said

Old Post 10-24-2018 02:19 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Love It! We're talking my two favorite sports (baseball and coonhunting). Whose home run was best? Usually (but not always) the first home run because there could have been 1 to 3 men on base. So, we could produce 1-4 runs off that 1st homerun. If the next batter also hits a home run, it worth a max of 1 run. A Grand Slam Home Run is 4X more valuable than a solo home run. I'll take that 1st homerun. So, in coonhunting, a dog that trees a coon before 3 others is doing better than one that trees ahead of 2 others, is doing better than one that trees ahead of 1 other, is doing better than one that trees ahead of no others. I like your baseball analogy. All home runs are not equal. That doesn't mean they are not worthy of credit, just not the same credit!!!

Old Post 10-24-2018 05:08 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh

You are taking liberties with my analogy, there was no mention of any base runners, only that the two batters hit home runs. Lol. I do like your style, my point as you well know was they each hit a home run, independent of each other. Dogs running and treeing 2 different coons independent of each other are merely equal in performance, regardless which one did it first. Lol. Now most of this is purely entertainment, as no real changes will result from any of our opinions, but is the system truly fair? Trees yes, tracks no, it's a one-way street. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-24-2018 05:40 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Dave, is anything in life fair? Are you saying that if it takes one dog 15 minutes to tree a coon and it takes a second dog 45 minutes to tree a coon that they are equal?

How about if one baseball player comes up to bat 4 times and hits a home run and another baseball player comes up to bat only once and hits a home run, are they equal? What if one baseball player comes up to bat 4 times and gets a hit to get on base each time and then someone else gets a hit so he scores 4 runs. Another baseball player comes up to bat 4 times and strikes out 3 times but hits a home run the fourth time. Is the home run hitter better?

Old Post 10-24-2018 03:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

home runs

I read the entire back of the score card and the advisor and didn't see anything about home runs.

Old Post 10-24-2018 03:51 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: home runs

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I read the entire back of the score card and the advisor and didn't see anything about home runs.

Me either.

Old Post 10-24-2018 04:05 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The Super Slams had a no grace period for babblers after the first turn out when they first started. But that was changed back after the first year. Why did UKC change it back? I guess that it didn't work.

Old Post 10-24-2018 04:48 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
The Super Slams had a no grace period for babblers after the first turn out when they first started. But that was changed back after the first year. Why did UKC change it back? I guess that it didn't work.

That rule caused fist fights! I remember the first slam I guides/spectated on and it was a blood bath over that rule... until the 3 guys arguing their dogs weren't babbling treed an opossum and it didn't matter anyhow1

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 10-24-2018 04:53 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tyler, I hunted in one myself. On the second drop one dog left out babbling and handler didn't strike him. When I tried to question it, the non hunting judge told me to shut up or he would scratch me. So I shut up and it cost me $800. I haven't hunted in one since.

Old Post 10-24-2018 05:06 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Guys

It's awfully hard to please a bunch of coonhunters. Lol. Maybe we are just a touch Looney after all these years of sleep deprivation, or it just might be "coon" fervor. It's not about the RULES, it's about how we play the game, with HONOR or without. Dave

Old Post 10-24-2018 05:10 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, I thought that it was supposed to be all about the dogs...

Old Post 10-24-2018 05:13 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, I thought that it was supposed to be all about the dogs...

It is Richard... The BEST dog ALWAYS wins didn't you know that?!