UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > One Minute Rule
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There are judges that automatically think any dog that barks in the first minute is babbling. Then there are judges that think no dogs ever babble. There are judges that think that as long as a dog continues to bark and eventually ends up treed (takes a track out) they shouldn't be minused. There are judges that think that whenever you strike your dog within the minute, you should be minused. There are judges who think that as long as you wait until the minute is up, you shouldn't be minused. It is amazing that there is such a wide variance in how this rule is enforced.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-22-2018 10:37 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

thomasg

Two dogs strike a second apart and tree in two different directions, both digs got a coon, Dog A score 225 plus, dog B score 200 plus. Do you really think dog A is the better dog? When we realize dogs are treed on separate trees, we move digs tree POINTS up, the same could be done with strike POINTS. Under the current scoring system, dogs are punished on strike POINTS, often times a babbler will win due to higher strike POINTS. Why do separate tree get scored separately and we still use one set of strike POINTS? The RULES favor a automatic strike dog, awarding separate strike POINTS for separate coons treed would eliminate the advantage of s babbler/automatic strike dog. Dave

Old Post 10-22-2018 10:49 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 10-22-2018 10:54 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But Mr Dave you would be giving that silent or semi silent dog a huge advantage. His strike points would never get minused. If you changed the rule to what you are suggesting, then in 3 yrs everyone would be hunting a silent dog. Everyone would just stand around talking and watching their Garmin until the dogs got treed. A nite hunt would consist of just walking from tree to tree and the dog that made the most in 2 hrs would win. Where would the fun in that be? Dogs like that are the reason there are so few hunters now.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-22-2018 at 11:35 PM

Old Post 10-22-2018 11:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: thomasg

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Two dogs strike a second apart and tree in two different directions, both digs got a coon, Dog A score 225 plus, dog B score 200 plus. Do you really think dog A is the better dog? When we realize dogs are treed on separate trees, we move digs tree POINTS up, the same could be done with strike POINTS. Under the current scoring system, dogs are punished on strike POINTS, often times a babbler will win due to higher strike POINTS. Why do separate tree get scored separately and we still use one set of strike POINTS? The RULES favor a automatic strike dog, awarding separate strike POINTS for separate coons treed would eliminate the advantage of s babbler/automatic strike dog. Dave

Let’s say under the new 60 minute hunt, both dogs struck for 100, they split hafe mile apart, both have a coon, you burned all 60 minutes, both dogs at 225+ who wins? The only tie breaker is to flip a coin. So why even cut loose.

Old Post 10-22-2018 11:33 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Just in case one makes a mistake! Lol. Seriously, I would rather lose on a coin toss, than lose by 25 strike POINTS when both dogs struck and treed separate coons. Dogs are winning hunts now by babbling and getting treed a mile deep, while an honest dog strikes and trees a coon closer, yet takes less strike POINTS. Anyway, we are just looking at eliminating the babbler advantage. I really never have understood the one set strike POINTS where there are separate coons, separate directions and separate trees. When ALL DOGS were striking and treeing together it was not a problem, it is a problem now, whether we admit it or not. Old babbler/auto strike dog has the unfair advantage. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:01 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

The days of the pack dogs are over , ole deep an lonely is here to stay. To me strick points make more sense when dogs did pack. Because they were conpeting against one another , if that makes sense. But now it’s all dogs are split . All I see strick points good for is get first strick , get deep an walk the clock out. I say all that to say this , most play by play you follow, you will hear dogs being struck under the minute . And then dogs are splitting up in different direction . Before you know it they all are split up a mile apart . Were there four coon there that split up and took different directions. It’s almost like it’s not about who has the best coon dog , but who can out handle who. And we wonder why the coonhound breed in general is suffering .I say no strick points an award the dog that trees the coon. That way a person can hunt his babbler or what ever dog he or she likes.

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:08 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards

WHAT IF you had a four dog cast the handlers of dogs a+b strike their dog within the first min. after the first min. is gone no dogs are opening on track the judge starts the time on dogs a+b gives them one min. if the time is not broke minus them for the points they struck in for?

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:12 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Well heck get a luckyer dog, look all this talk will never get a rule changed, not one person on here can tell me how to get a rule changed,Who do you send a rule change perposal to? Who is on the rules committee? Who put them on the rules committee, who makes the final vote, who put them in charge of the final vote?
That’s What You Guys Should Be Concerned about!

Tim I thought I gave u all this info, i told u you can send them rule proposals to me or Grant Noeske.

Grant and Alan Kahal will be the ones setting in for the walker association making the final vote.

The board members put them in the positions they're in to make the final vote. The board members are picked by the members of the association. They give ballots out in the mail and at their breed events for the members to vote and appoint these people.

If you really have a proposal send it in.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:17 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: thomasg

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Let’s say under the new 60 minute hunt, both dogs struck for 100, they split hafe mile apart, both have a coon, you burned all 60 minutes, both dogs at 225+ who wins? The only tie breaker is to flip a coin. So why even cut loose.

Dog that treed the first coon of the night wins the tiebreaker

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:21 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sleepy head

That would be okay. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:42 AM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
Tim I thought I gave u all this info, i told u you can send them rule proposals to me or Grant Noeske.

Grant and Alan Kahal will be the ones setting in for the walker association making the final vote.

The board members put them in the positions they're in to make the final vote. The board members are picked by the members of the association. They give ballots out in the mail and at their breed events for the members to vote and appoint these people.

If you really have a proposal send it in.

It got poofed before I got a chance to copy you response!
Look I know more than I let on, my point is Most don’t have a clue and it should not be this complicated to get info on who makes the rules for All, no one knows that all it takes is for one breed to vote no and that rule is voted down, or dose the majority win. Why is a list of the rules that UKC picks to go on the ballot posted After there voted on.

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:47 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

How about this. Four dogs , cut them loose . No strike given . Dog A gets treed right handed , 100 strick , 125 tree . Dog B gets treed left handed , 100 strick , 125 tree. As soon as dog gets treed ,start count down on tree . If dog C or D goes to either they are scored according to the count down. As far as strick I feel like C or D shouldn’t receive any if they back . Now if two dogs ran same track in whoever trees first gets 100 strick an 75 to next dog.This way a person can hunt whatever style dog he wants. And will cut back on the me tooing dog also.

Old Post 10-23-2018 01:07 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

25 points across the board on strike , tree points stay the same and no more leash lock. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-23-2018 01:15 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

First Strike/First Tree???

When the rules were set up 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strike were to receive strike points in the order that they were struck. That hasn't changed, nor should it change.

When the rules were set up 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree were to receive tree points in the order they were treed.

The idea was that the dogs were competing against each other, as it was intended when the point system was implemented. When a dog actually treed 2nd or 3rd, but got split from the 1st tree dog, it would receive tree points just as if it was a "real" 1st tree dog. Admittedly, that is not really fair to the "real" 1st tree dog. It was a big advantage for the dog that couldn't keep up, but could get away and tree it's own coon.

Now, we have dogs that if they can't tree 1st, will run away and try to find their own tree. Under the rules, they get just as many points as a 1st tree dog. Common sense should tell you that if you cut 4 dogs loose, they can't all be 1st tree dogs. But, under current rules, as long as they don't tree "with" the dogs that tree ahead of them, they can all get 1st tree points (just as if they were a "real 1st tree dog").

Now, some are following the logic that if every dog can get 1st tree points, why can't they also get 1st strike points, after all, they were first to strike on the tree that they are on. This way, they can all be 1st strike dogs, and 1st tree dogs. We all know that's really not possibly in reality.

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:55 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: First Strike/First Tree???

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
...... in reality......

Oh my goodness, now we're talking about reality. You do realize that this is the interweb?

Old Post 10-23-2018 04:07 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh

You are talking like the dig to tree first is the true coon dog, and the rest are to slow to keep up. That's nonsense, you are right about they all can't be first strike or first tree, I certainly don't advocate that. I merely pointed out the inequity of dogs getting separate tree POINTS, but not separate strike POINTS. How is this a tryout test, a competition should be as true a test as possible. You somehow want to imply that a dog striking and treeing independently is somehow less dog. If there weren't different coons to run and tree, they would not be doing so. Slick tree get minused, tracks they don't finish get minused. A dog only get plus POINTS for doing it right, striking and treeing a coon that is seen. If separate POINTS for separate coons is given to both strike and tree, it would be fair to everyone. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:33 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i would be happy with a no leash lock rule . that way my dog would have a chance of treeing those coons seen sitting up on the one mile death march to ole deep dog. lol a dog that babbles and goes a mile alone with two looking down can be beat if you are treeing 2 to his 1 and have coons in your trees .

Old Post 10-23-2018 12:53 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
i would be happy with a no leash lock rule .
Leash locking should have been done away with years ago. It'd vanish if they let hunters vote on rule changes..

Old Post 10-23-2018 02:33 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Didn't they just change the leash lock rule at the last rule change vote?

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:08 PM
yadkintar
Banned

No !!

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When did we get the "option" to turn them loose or keep them on the lead? My poor brain is a little fuzzy this morning.

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:19 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Well my pack dogs must have been babbling and tight mouth both last night , first turn out about 10 barks on the ground then treed 2nd maybe a bark every 4 minutes for a mile then treed , 3rd dump left out of their screaming and caught that rascal in an old cattle guard about 3/8 of a mile from where I turned loose. I think I am glad I made the switch from NIKE to New Balance.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:25 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
When did we get the "option" to turn them loose or keep them on the lead? My poor brain is a little fuzzy this morning.

If all dogs are treed you cannot cut you are leash locked.

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rutnstrut
New UKC Forum Member

25 for all

I agree with some other post with the strike rule, make it 25 for all dogs. These babbling idiot dogs need to be weeded out. I always thought the dog who trees the coon first is the better dog not who lucks onto a track and barks first.

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:49 PM
Rutnstrut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rutnstrut Click here to Send Rutnstrut a Private Message Click Here to Email Rutnstrut Find more posts by Rutnstrut Add Rutnstrut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote