UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Blueticks > Monkey Face Bluetick History
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Monkey Face Bluetick History

When actually did this trait begin and what line was it first known to be in ? I know Mr. Vaughn had a few hounds that had this triait but where did it come to be so popular as it is now ? Popular meaning more of it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-27-2006 08:08 PM
John Vaught is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vaught Click here to Send John Vaught a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vaught Find more posts by John Vaught Add John Vaught to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
womancoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

monkey face

What exactly is monkey faced?

Old Post 03-27-2006 08:22 PM
womancoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for womancoonhunter Click here to Send womancoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email womancoonhunter Find more posts by womancoonhunter Add womancoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
no show
Banned

Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

quote:
Originally posted by John Vaught
When actually did this trait begin and what line was it first known to be in ? I know Mr. Vaughn had a few hounds that had this triait but where did it come to be so popular as it is now ? Popular meaning more of it.
I cant tell you where it actually began. If you'll look in your old blue book (20 + yrs. and back) you will see alot more of it. I think you know why its showing up more so now then recently, one word.........Bullet. Bullet threw some monkey faces. Some didnt like this, some did and some could care less (like me). I just honestlly cant understand those people who lived within a 1/2 days drive from Bullet wouldnt breed to him because they might get a monkey faced dog. Rather they will admit it now or not, I know deep down your bangin your stupid little head up against the wall. LoL....................REST IN PEACE CHAMP !!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 03-27-2006 08:39 PM
no show is offline Click Here to See the Profile for no show Click here to Send no show a Private Message Find more posts by no show Add no show to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hardup Kennels
UKC Forum Member

CH Hardup's Dark Blue Sky.

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:21 PM
Hardup Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hardup Kennels Click here to Send Hardup Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email Hardup Kennels Find more posts by Hardup Kennels Add Hardup Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hardup Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Monkey faced. Bullet bred. Sire Dual Grand Appels Blue Oak Bullet.

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:23 PM
Hardup Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hardup Kennels Click here to Send Hardup Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email Hardup Kennels Find more posts by Hardup Kennels Add Hardup Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
womancoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

monkey faced...

Is my new dog monkey faced?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/390211.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/390257.jpg

If she is then I like the monkey faced dogs. And Sky is a beautiful dog also!

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:39 PM
womancoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for womancoonhunter Click here to Send womancoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email womancoonhunter Find more posts by womancoonhunter Add womancoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hardup Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Yes, Molly is monkey faced.

And thanks for the compliment on Sky.

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:41 PM
wkfii
UKC Forum Member

That is the St. Hubert blood showing up. It's either from recent crosses with Bloodhound, Red Bones, or Black and Tans or its from the crosses that took place in Europe ages ago. There are some Gascon hounds that don't have any tan, but the majority have at least the St. Hubert flakes on their eyes.

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:56 PM
wkfii is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wkfii Click here to Send wkfii a Private Message Click Here to Email wkfii Find more posts by wkfii Add wkfii to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hardup Kennels

Monkey faced. Bullet bred. Sire Dual Grand Appels Blue Oak Bullet.

GOOD LOOKING HOUND HARDUP KENNEL GOOD TREE STYLE

Old Post 03-27-2006 09:59 PM
John Vaught is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vaught Click here to Send John Vaught a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vaught Find more posts by John Vaught Add John Vaught to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

quote:
Originally posted by no show
I cant tell you where it actually began. If you'll look in your old blue book (20 + yrs. and back) you will see alot more of it. I think you know why its showing up more so now then recently, one word.........Bullet. Bullet threw some monkey faces. Some didnt like this, some did and some could care less (like me). I just honestlly cant understand those people who lived within a 1/2 days drive from Bullet wouldnt breed to him because they might get a monkey faced dog. Rather they will admit it now or not, I know deep down your bangin your stupid little head up against the wall. LoL....................REST IN PEACE CHAMP !!!!!!!!!!!
Well Tom you know how things are within this breed I have seen Bullet close up he no douibt was a fine looking hound in all ways to be honest with you there are not many that have the looks of Bullet and none that looked any better

Old Post 03-27-2006 10:01 PM
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Monkey Face Bluetick History

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Vaught
[B]Well Tom you know how things are within this breed I have seen Bullet close up he no douibt was a fine looking hound in all ways to be honest with you there are not many that have the looks of Bullet and none that looked any better. Some people said it came from Spanky but I have never believed that his looks proves way beyond anything Spanky ever throwed. I use to see pop bottle nosed dog out of Spanky at the Bluetick meets .............could they be breed out of them now ????????.........LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by John Vaught on 03-27-2006 at 10:22 PM

Old Post 03-27-2006 10:04 PM
no show
Banned

John

I think he may have took after his mother in looks but she took after her mother also (robs crazy) allthough you could say she hunted like some of the spanky dogs. Chief was a good lookin hound in his younger yrs.

Old Post 03-27-2006 10:28 PM
no show is offline Click Here to See the Profile for no show Click here to Send no show a Private Message Find more posts by no show Add no show to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DRP
UKC Forum Member

quotes from some past posts on the topic:

Bullet II wrote:
Bullet got his monkey face from his mother, but he could have gotten it from either side. His Grandad on the top side (Dryfork Spud) was monkey faced. But Bullet looked just like his mother (Fly). Fly's mother (Crazy) was also monkey face. So really it goes way back on both sides. I posted pictures of Fly and Crazy on here, so you can look at them and tell.

Craig Edwards wrote:
If you will go back and look at the foundational hounds the early breeders used, including Elbert Vaughn, you will find that many of those dogs were monkey faced. As a matter of fact, some of the old hounds looked like red ticks. Vaughn's Bawler, Vaughn's Lula, Hills Blue Rock, Ellyson's Tige, Braggs Bill the Barber, (to name just a few) were all monkey faced. It is a throw back of some of the foundational breeding stock. If you go back far enough, you would find monkey face blues in every strain. It may not be a favorite color, but it shows just how dominant the old genes really are.

Old Post 03-27-2006 10:51 PM
DRP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DRP Click here to Send DRP a Private Message Click Here to Email DRP Find more posts by DRP Add DRP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

My PETE dog is the spittin image of old BULLET and I think I have only had 1 Monkey faced pup(and I for sure kept that one). I just can't see how a monkey face would keep some one from breeding to a hound???

Old Post 03-27-2006 11:25 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
texhog
UKC Forum Member

Monkey Faced dogs were all but "extinct" untill Bullet came along. I know there are others, but none being bred like Bullet was. Anyway Vaughn did have several Monkey faced hounds in the past but was trying to breed it out, he said it was the redtick trying to get out.

Old Post 03-27-2006 11:48 PM
texhog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for texhog Click here to Send texhog a Private Message Find more posts by texhog Add texhog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

BTT

After reading several of the replies it makes me wonder if Bullett's littter mate brothers and sisters were monkey faced. Let it be known that I am not making any fun of a monkey face dog especially Bullet as I said before none looked any better than him. In a litter of 10 puppies that Bullet sired how many averaged being monkey faced and did he dominate the looks of the puppies no matter how the female was bred ??

Last edited by John Vaught on 03-28-2006 at 02:51 AM

Old Post 03-28-2006 02:45 AM
tony foley
UKC Forum Member

John, the cross was made twice between chief and fly. Every sibling was either monkey faced or well on its way that i ever seen. Bullet threw the monkey face as a dominant trait, there are some out there that do not carry it but percentage wise the monkey face outweighs the black heads hands down. In my opinion he definetly dominately reproduced this trait.

This is no doubt a recessive gene that really clicked with the mating of chief and fly . You can go back and look at some of our historical dogs and they all resemble one another, Aaron Petershiem said Bullet was just a little smaller version of Spud as far as looks, i always thought Bullet looked like the spitting image of Ellysons Tige.

Just a little side note that has nothing to do with being monkey faced; Fly had troubles raising this litter and Bullet was way behind the rest as a newborn puppy, Joan bottle fed Bullet until he was to weaning age.

Old Post 03-28-2006 03:06 AM
tony foley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony foley Click here to Send tony foley a Private Message Find more posts by tony foley Add tony foley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tony foley
John, the cross was made twice between chief and fly. Every sibling was either monkey faced or well on its way that i ever seen. Bullet threw the monkey face as a dominant trait, there are some out there that do not carry it but percentage wise the monkey face outweighs the black heads hands down. In my opinion he definetly dominately reproduced this trait.

This is no doubt a recessive gene that really clicked with the mating of chief and fly . You can go back and look at some of our historical dogs and they all resemble one another, Aaron Petershiem said Bullet was just a little smaller version of Spud as far as looks, i always thought Bullet looked like the spitting image of Ellysons Tige.

Just a little side note that has nothing to do with being monkey faced; Fly had troubles raising this litter and Bullet was way behind the rest as a newborn puppy, Joan bottle fed Bullet until he was to weaning age.

Thanks for the info Tony. Keep me in mind on that next started young hound you might have for sale out of Rattler

Old Post 03-28-2006 01:30 PM
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

BTT

quote:
Originally posted by John Vaught
Thanks for the info Tony. Keep me in mind on that next started young hound you might have for sale out of Rattler
BTT

Old Post 03-28-2006 06:37 PM
Craig Harris
UKC Forum Member

soory to burst your guys bubble but I was at dave deans about 6 7 yrs ago ,how ever old tonys sable dog is and there was some red headed and monkey faced dogs up there so even in the hammer dogs it has been seen in the past few yrs ,seenone also out of northern blue levi

Old Post 03-28-2006 10:00 PM
Craig Harris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Harris Click here to Send Craig Harris a Private Message Click Here to Email Craig Harris Find more posts by Craig Harris Add Craig Harris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Tony I am not much on buying male dogs but wasn'tDanny P. looking for one. We sure got a nice one in the female we got off Phil Davis She should have 3 wins but Doug had a slip on the last tree in Ohio that cost him the high scoring NT.CH. and the week befor that I had 425+ and the master of hould let a guy turn his card in atleast2 after the dead line so I missed that one but got one last week. She doesn't walk on water but we like her.

Old Post 03-28-2006 10:58 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CountryMile
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Craig Harris
soory to burst your guys bubble but I was at dave deans about 6 7 yrs ago ,how ever old tonys sable dog is and there was some red headed and monkey faced dogs up there so even in the hammer dogs it has been seen in the past few yrs ,seenone also out of northern blue levi

Yep I agree Craig, The Rebel dog was monkey faced,he was from Spanky. My Rebel dog is red headed being from the above Rebel. My Rebel dog threw a couple monkey faced dogs (not red headed). He threw one monkey faced male that was the spitting image of Dryfork Blue Spud just smaller. These dogs all show Spanky and Hammer II and Hammer III very close up and concentrated. With that all being said I think it must still come from the Vaughn line. Seems to me Bryants Blue Slammer was monkey faced also. Dave

Old Post 03-28-2006 11:01 PM
CountryMile is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CountryMile Click here to Send CountryMile a Private Message Click Here to Email CountryMile Find more posts by CountryMile Add CountryMile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

WHAT EVER IS IN BULLET

Is the most dominating of the monkey face dogs and they are good looking hounds out of bullet that weren't monkey face. I haven't seen it in the hammer dogs as much as the S.R. line/Bullet dogs . I am not for sure were it comes from but do not believe it comes from Spanky however I would agree the red heads come from Spanky and on back to Northern Blue Sadie whom did not have a lot of Bluetick look to her. I have to think the monkey face on Bullet came from the S.R. line a total different look than any Hammer red headed dogs.

Old Post 03-29-2006 12:06 AM
RRbluehound
UKC Forum Member

lets look at the common denominator, who do these hounds all go back too

Old Post 03-29-2006 12:11 AM
RRbluehound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRbluehound Click here to Send RRbluehound a Private Message Find more posts by RRbluehound Add RRbluehound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Style

Youre right

RR, they all go back to Vaughns Curley, Bawler, etc....quite a few of our foundation hounds were monkey faced...

Old Post 03-29-2006 12:43 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote