UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? About How To Sour Corn
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zach94
UKC Forum Member

? About How To Sour Corn

HOW WOULD YOU GET CORN TO SOUR IN THE WINTER?
........THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2009 01:24 AM
zach94 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zach94 Click here to Send zach94 a Private Message Click Here to Email zach94 Find more posts by zach94 Add zach94 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southga
New UKC Forum Member

DOWN HERE IN SOUTH GA I JUST FILL WITHCORN AND WATER AND MOST OF THE TIME IT WILL START IN A DAY R TWO

IVE BEEN USEING OLD COOKING OIL ALSO AND I SEE LOT OF ACTION ON IT

Old Post 01-21-2009 01:28 AM
southga is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southga Click here to Send southga a Private Message Click Here to Email southga Find more posts by southga Add southga to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dbradbury3
UKC Forum Member

the winning recipe take a container and fill it full of corn just the amount that you want to sour , them set that container in a watering tank such as horse or cattle tank plastic works best you can get them from your local tractor supply, also purchase a couple of submersable water heaters and put them in the watering tank these will warm the water that your container of corn is sitting in which will make it sour, also fill the container of corn with water takes 4-6 days

Thanks Stetzels,

Honesty wins hunts

Old Post 01-21-2009 01:31 AM
Dbradbury3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dbradbury3 Click here to Send Dbradbury3 a Private Message Click Here to Email Dbradbury3 Find more posts by Dbradbury3 Add Dbradbury3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntertim
Banned

SOUR corn

it will make your coon sick.dog food is a lot better and it helps the coon raise more young ones.corn is onley 7 percent protein

Old Post 01-21-2009 01:49 AM
huntertim is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntertim Click here to Send huntertim a Private Message Click Here to Email huntertim Find more posts by huntertim Add huntertim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D houser
UKC Forum Member

the reason you use sour corn is because only coons will eat it u can use dog food but set up a trail cam you will see a bunch of possums , u use dog food thats fine, i know what ill be cutting my hounds towards

Old Post 01-21-2009 02:47 AM
D houser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D houser Click here to Send D houser a Private Message Click Here to Email D houser Find more posts by D houser Add D houser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by D houser
the reason you use sour corn is because only coons will eat it u can use dog food but set up a trail cam you will see a bunch of possums , u use dog food thats fine, i know what ill be cutting my hounds towards

Yeah around here you put some dog food out, give it a couple days and it will be about 100 yards over the hill filled with teeth holes. lol

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 01-21-2009 03:04 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truebluefordman
UKC Forum Member

that is the first time i heard of it maken a coon sick.... i would put it in a buket set it in the house for 2 days or so then take it put it in a tire and wait a day or so and see what you get.

boy's i tell ya how it is. i'am not here to bs you. i'am here to hunt dogs and get you the most for your money.my door is open for anyone to come hunt, spend the night or the weekend i hunt hard and it shows in my dogs 317-494-1098 danny suttles

Old Post 01-21-2009 03:35 AM
truebluefordman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truebluefordman Click here to Send truebluefordman a Private Message Click Here to Email truebluefordman Find more posts by truebluefordman Add truebluefordman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zach94
UKC Forum Member

what about puttin yeast in the bucket? would that help it sour faster?

Old Post 01-21-2009 05:54 AM
zach94 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zach94 Click here to Send zach94 a Private Message Click Here to Email zach94 Find more posts by zach94 Add zach94 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southparkkenny
Banned

dhouser

you should have your dogs broke off possum and you wount half to worie about treeing them.set you a live trap and kill the possum be smart about it and feed dog food corn will make the coon sick and some will dye.it will also kill wild turkey that is why the law has been changed some.call your dnr and see wat they tell you about sour corn.if you are going to feed corn keep it dry

Old Post 01-21-2009 08:47 AM
southparkkenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southparkkenny Click here to Send southparkkenny a Private Message Click Here to Email southparkkenny Find more posts by southparkkenny Add southparkkenny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southparkkenny
Banned

yeast

will give the coon the runs just like it will you if it was put in mash to make wiskey plus it will give you a head ack

Old Post 01-21-2009 08:50 AM
southparkkenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southparkkenny Click here to Send southparkkenny a Private Message Click Here to Email southparkkenny Find more posts by southparkkenny Add southparkkenny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nocturnal Jeff
Banned

Soured corn has aflotoxins, a form of mold, that can cause mouth legions in the animal that eats it, causing them to drink too much water trying to cool their mouth until they die,or cause them to not eat at all, resulting in a slow death.

About the only animal that can eat soured corn and not be bothered is hogs.

These idiots that put corn out for turkeys are actually trying to kill them instead of feed them. Birds are especially vulnerable to the bad effects of wet or soured corn.

If you live in a dry climate you can get away with it. But not in areas of alot of rain, humidity, or snowfall.

Old Post 01-21-2009 01:01 PM
Nocturnal Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nocturnal Jeff Click here to Send Nocturnal Jeff a Private Message Find more posts by Nocturnal Jeff Add Nocturnal Jeff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinM
UKC Forum Member

I have read so many post about soured corn but this is the first time I heard of it killing the raccoons. weird.

Old Post 01-21-2009 05:02 PM
JustinM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinM Click here to Send JustinM a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinM Find more posts by JustinM Add JustinM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluebill74
UKC Forum Member

sour corn

i thought coon loved sour corn?

Old Post 01-21-2009 07:27 PM
bluebill74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluebill74 Click here to Send bluebill74 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluebill74 Find more posts by bluebill74 Add bluebill74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

I really do not understand how soured corn can kill a raccoon? I hunt a farm where they put corn silage out in the field that is covered with a tarp. EVERY single winter I can go there and tree 1-2 coon off of that corn silage... seems like over the past few years I've been hunting there the coon population has grown! Corn silage is essentially the same as soured corn... So I'd like to hear some scientific facts on this soured corn killing coons stuff LOL!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

Old Post 01-21-2009 07:29 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nocturnal Jeff
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by jculler8
I'd like to hear some scientific facts on this soured corn killing

there is plenty out there about it. Molded corn has been found to be the culprit in massive die offs of deer and turkey in areas of many states.

Old Post 01-21-2009 07:34 PM
Nocturnal Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nocturnal Jeff Click here to Send Nocturnal Jeff a Private Message Find more posts by Nocturnal Jeff Add Nocturnal Jeff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Jeff
there is plenty out there about it. Molded corn has been found to be the culprit in massive die offs of deer and turkey in areas of many states.

Key words "DEER AND TURKEY".... and I also see you ommitted "coon" from my post you quoted... I've been looking for a while now on some info of soured corn killing off coons and guess what? ...im still looking!

HOME OF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

Old Post 01-21-2009 10:04 PM
HillBilly1961
UKC Forum Member

I put the corn in a 5 gal bucket about 3 inches from the top of the bucket ,2 packs of grape coolade, 1 cup of brown sugar in a gt jar of hot water to melt the sugar then put on corn an fill the bucket with water an put a lid on the bucket an set it in a back room where its warm ,2 or 3 days it starts to sour,just dont take the lid off the bucket in the house or it will smell your house up

Last edited by HillBilly1961 on 01-21-2009 at 10:48 PM

Old Post 01-21-2009 10:46 PM
HillBilly1961 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HillBilly1961 Click here to Send HillBilly1961 a Private Message Visit HillBilly1961's homepage! Find more posts by HillBilly1961 Add HillBilly1961 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nocturnal Jeff
Banned

quote:
Key words "DEER AND TURKEY".... and I also see you ommitted "coon" from my post you quoted... I've been looking for a while now on some info of soured corn killing off coons and guess what? ...im still looking!

Culler, Trust me, this is what I do for a living. Corn, when wet, heats up, produces aflotoxins which can , at the very least, cause very sore mouth lesions on the animals that eat the wet, moldy corn. It kills them by making them unable to eat for days to weeks.

Old Post 01-21-2009 10:52 PM
Nocturnal Jeff
Banned

quote:
I've been looking for a while now on some info of soured corn killing off coons and guess what? ...im still looking!

http://msucares.com/news/print/fwnews/fw98/980824ds.htm

Culler..Remember the diamond dog food poisoning., it was caused by moldy corn used in the dog feed producing aflatoxins that caused their livers to shut down..

When you put out corn that is allowed to get wet or go thru a heat it produces the same aflatoxins that was in the Diamond dog food.

I am sure it is hard to find a coon that has died of this, but it does and will kill animals.

Many states are learning this and starting to ban feeding corn to wildlife.

Old Post 01-21-2009 10:59 PM
Nocturnal Jeff
Banned

"Corn and other grains can develop aflatoxins which can kill anything from a deer to a turkey to a person. The grain develops the fungi Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus and the fungi develop aflatoxins as a defense mechanism."

"Wathen said a study in Texas found 44 percent of the corn sold specifically to feed deer had excessive levels of aflatoxins."

"Aflatoxins can lead to problems in the immune system, cancer and death," he said.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2006/J...ets-no-support/

Old Post 01-21-2009 11:02 PM
cooney
UKC Forum Member

I used to use corn, but now use cheap dog food. They eat it just as good.

I was thinking about this one day and came to this conclusion.
If your using soured corn and the coon is on it eating getting covered in it. What kind of a track is the dog running. " a SOURED CORN TRACK". A buddy of mines dog would tree a possum now and then off his feeder and never if hunting in natural locations, just the coon. We started discussing this and started using dog food and guess what no more possums. That's not to say they aren't there. he just don't tree them anymore. IMO the corn is stronger and the dogs learn that is the track they're supposed to be on. When they are trained on feeders.

BREED THE BEST TO GET THE BEST POCAHONTAS BREEDING AT IT'S BEST
MEMBER HILLBILLY MAFIA

Old Post 01-21-2009 11:40 PM
cooney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cooney Click here to Send cooney a Private Message Click Here to Email cooney Find more posts by cooney Add cooney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinM
UKC Forum Member

I take it as long it doesn't become moldy then your fine. Feed less and keep it completly underwater. I use a tire and the corn is complety submerged at all times.

Old Post 01-22-2009 10:00 PM
JustinM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinM Click here to Send JustinM a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinM Find more posts by JustinM Add JustinM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dyates
UKC Forum Member

Molded

I been feeding soured corn for ever I thought it made them multiply. I have more coons than ever nonsense I am sure every ince in awhile it make em sick but in a tire mine is about submerged in water

Old Post 01-24-2023 02:44 AM
dyates is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dyates Click here to Send dyates a Private Message Click Here to Email dyates Find more posts by dyates Add dyates to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Sour Corn

I have been souring corn since 1996 I try to get 50 t0 75 bushels directly from the combine in the field. I fill 7 to 10, 55 gallon barrels with shell corn then I fill those barrels with water, wait a day or two for the corn to Swell and rise like a muffin then I will shovel off any excess into another empty barrel and continue to fill with water for about a week . It will rise to the point it starts to run over the top of barrels I then cover with tin or metal ......You dont wanna put it next to your residence IT WILL SMELL and STINK Especially if a rat or squirrel drowns in it and you dont wanna get any in your vehicle. It will keep for a year or two or longer but it must be KEPT UNDER WATER, If the corn is kept SUBMERGED under water it will look like corn out of the can BUT If it dries out it will MOLD and almost all the tops of my barrels will have 1-2 inches of dry Molded crust on them I always shovel this off and try to discard where animals or pets cant eat it I have wondered myself about the mold causing death with wild animals I cant say I have evidence of corn killing deer, turkeys or coons BUT I HAVE SEEN COUPLE DEAD COONS just laying dead as if they died by heart attack like they fell over dead AROUND LATE DECEMBER and JANUARY Even saw one in a broke off den tree curled up in the sleeping position Dead and it hadnt been dead over couple days ( COULD OLD MOLDED DEER HUNTERS CORN CAUSE THIS COON TO DIE) In SC Deer hunters start baiting in July with corn. Now unlike many Of yall Im forced to hunt STATE LAND up till Jan 1st due to deer hunters not allowing coon hunting and we cant bait STATE LAND IN SC so I cant say what deer hunters corn may or may not be Harming. I start Baiting after Christmas with SOUR CORN And IM back into the woods in my neighborhood and my HOT SPOTS FOR COONS I dont have 100% proof of sour corn killing anything but I m suspecious about MOLDED CORN CAUSING DEATH I can tell you this SOUR CORN WILL DRAW COONS TO YOUR LOCATION and the deer wont eat it till after March when food is scarce I never witnessed Turkeys bothering my spots but I try to put my sour corn in ditches or creeks or stump holes with moisture or water in them. I rarely put the corn in the same spot I will carry in half 5 gallon bucket to the tree if not too far I like to keep my corn MOVIN I feel by movin bait around an animal will lay more ground tracks than just a conventiently bucket tied to a tree In my mind A MOVING COON PROVIDES BETTER OPPORTUNITY FOR A YOUNG PUP TO RUN ACROSS ITS TRACK RATHER THAN A SLEEPIMG COON OVER A BUCKET FEEDER THATS TIED IN ONE SPOT Hope this helps someone Sorry for long post

Old Post 01-26-2023 04:26 AM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Everywhere you look here there is a cornfield with ear corn that's dropped out of the combine, and stayed wet all winter, some moldy,some sour, some just rotten. Spills all around grain bins as well. If sour,moldy,rotten corn killed coon,possums,and deer how in the hell does Illinois have so many?

Old Post 01-26-2023 03:48 PM
JohnnyRingo20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyRingo20 Click here to Send JohnnyRingo20 a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyRingo20 Add JohnnyRingo20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote