UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Treeing Walkers: Dogs and Puppies For Sale > Looking for answers lol
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Looking for answers lol

Hello everyone I have some questions that may end up sounding more like a rant if so I apologize . What is going on in the young coon hound world these days ? I stopped Competition hunting about 15 years ago when I didn’t real serious but nowadays I am looking to get back into it and looking for the right young dog I have tried six dogs in the last two months with price range is ranging from $2500 all the way up to 8000 and I cannot sill find the complete package . When I hunted a One year old was just that and when a man said they were started it typically meant they could run and tree their own coon at 12-14 month pretty consistently and they were price accordingly now days it seems a one year old is 22 months old running and treeing with other dogs , it may just be me but when I think of a 22 month old dog for. 2500 and up they should absolutely be able to run and tree their own coon consistently by them selves and be able to take to a hunt and win ! Next thing is mouth and accuracy when did an average mouth become considered over powering mouth and when did 2 coon out of 5 trees become acceptable to price dogs at 5-7500 ! I hunted with a truly nice 21 month old male last night that was cut 4 times alone he fired made 3 trees seen 3 raccoon and put the 4 th track in the ground and looked amazing beautiful tree dog and has proven himself in the hunts with 1700 won in the last 4 months but this male can’t be bought but I did ask his owner what he valued him at he said $5000 because he has a ticket and all ss left my o Ky and I mean only problem with this pup was I didn’t enjoy his mouth because I’ve lost some of my hearing but he is what I remember a young dog could and should be. Where are the these dogs at ?????

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-11-2019 06:34 PM
Thechosen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thechosen Click here to Send Thechosen a Private Message Click Here to Email Thechosen Find more posts by Thechosen Add Thechosen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Come on guys I honestly want to hear some opinions and views

Old Post 09-11-2019 07:20 PM
Thechosen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thechosen Click here to Send Thechosen a Private Message Click Here to Email Thechosen Find more posts by Thechosen Add Thechosen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Every person is different people jugde mouths different what one thinks is loud others may not. Above you stated a 22 month should be able to run and tree there own coon I agree with that if they have been hunted RIGHT. As far as a 22 month like you stated that is consitant and can head to town and win I would say 2500 is tho low end price you will find.

Old Post 09-11-2019 08:05 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
earl blevins
UKC Forum Member

you get what you are willing to pay

Old Post 09-11-2019 08:15 PM
earl blevins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for earl blevins Click here to Send earl blevins a Private Message Click Here to Email earl blevins Find more posts by earl blevins Add earl blevins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

I agree with both of you gentleman and $2500 is the low in when the dog is not proven !! Although I personally know a world champion that was purchased for 3500 when he was less than a year old because of his ability!! And I have also personally seen dogs bought for 1500 and sold a month later for 15000 that never did anything after !!! So fellas price doesn’t make the dog nothing in the world is worth anymore than someone is willing to pay and some have deeper pockets than others but that doesn’t make the dog a better dog 😉

Old Post 09-11-2019 10:07 PM
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

U probably hunt clover dogs!! lol

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 09-12-2019 03:12 AM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Nope sorry 😉 but far as that goes good and bad In All of them !! What’s your all grand dogs blood lines ?

Old Post 09-12-2019 03:58 AM
Lawsreddog
UKC Forum Member

JMO

I think in general we have accepted a lesser percentage! Back in the day my dad and uncle would breed and get 10 outta 12 pups doing very well and could hunt just about anywhere, yes some had faults, now a days it's maybe 2 out of a litter of 12 that are making it. We have accepted a lesser percentage of junk! 22 month old dog should tree a coon for 5000 if it cant dont breed it, get it fixed. These folks are breeding sh*t to sh*t and getting sh*it!

Lawson's Buck Creek Wildman

Old Post 09-12-2019 04:53 PM
Lawsreddog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lawsreddog Click here to Send Lawsreddog a Private Message Click Here to Email Lawsreddog Find more posts by Lawsreddog Add Lawsreddog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Brother I couldn’t agree more!!! $2500 dogs at any age better be able to do the work !

Old Post 09-12-2019 05:36 PM
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Brother I couldn’t agree more!!! $2500 dogs at any age better be able to do the work !

Old Post 09-12-2019 05:36 PM
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Like gas, prices steadily rise.

Market determines price. Competition hunting has changed and people are breeding to for the new formats.

Good luck in your search. I had to raise my 25 month from a baby to get what I wanted and it would take much more than 5k for him to leave my house. Not saying he's worth that, but he fits what I want in a hound nearly perfectly and I know how hard it would be to replace him.

I suggest finding a bloodline you like and start from scratch. I know that's not the most efficient method time wise but you can train them to fit your needs. I was out of the game for several years as well and just got back in before I got this pup.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 09-12-2019 06:00 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

The 'right kind' will 99% of the time not be for sale.

Most are for sale for some reason or another that owner don't like.

Too many breeding hot nose to nose tree'n idiots for the comp hunts.Fly in tree,right or wrong.

Good luck!! raised my Clover female from 11months.Turned out to be the best hound I've ever owned.Almost 11,but the Most accurate hound I've been in woods with,mine or not.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 09-12-2019 06:45 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lawsreddog
UKC Forum Member

4play

I agree. Times have changed but breeding some of this stuff is crazy. Wait 10yrs and see what ya got.

Lawson's Buck Creek Wildman

Old Post 09-12-2019 07:10 PM
Lawsreddog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lawsreddog Click here to Send Lawsreddog a Private Message Click Here to Email Lawsreddog Find more posts by Lawsreddog Add Lawsreddog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jones2252
New UKC Forum Member

I agree. The best results I’ve had is to find a bloodline that is known to have the characteristics you are looking for in a hound and get you a well bred pup and start from the ground up. I’ve never had much luck buying started or finished hounds because one person’s ideas of what a coonhound is and what my ideas are may vary! Even buying a pup anymore because of a lot of bad breeding habits you are taking a chance. My dad has a gyp that just turned 2 the end of August and no amount of money could buy her, simply because it took such a long time to find one like her that suited my dad perfectly. Dad didn’t want a dog that looked good one or two nights a week, but a dog that consistently looked good night after night. My dad says the most important thing s hound needs to be is accurate and I agree.
A older gentleman once told me that I’d be lucky if I went through 500 hounds and found 50 good ones now days, and I truly believe he was correct. As a girl I started hunting hounds with my dad and my uncle and it used to be you could load the gun when you heard the dogs treed in the mountains because you knew they had the meat. Not that every dog they owned then was perfect, but there were more good ones then there was bad ones.....not anymore! Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old Post 09-12-2019 07:27 PM
Jones2252 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jones2252 Click here to Send Jones2252 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jones2252 Find more posts by Jones2252 Add Jones2252 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Man it sounds like your father is a very wise man ! And I agree a true consistent hound is becoming harder and harder to find 🤦‍♂️ People think of they run and tree with other dogs or tree a couple cage coon they are worth $3000 well that’s just not true that’s a $800 to $1200 dog to me . And your right training your own from the ground up is the best way , unfortunately I need one now and there for am going to have to pay for it but that being said if I’m spending my money it will be what I want and not whateveryone else thinks it will be .

Old Post 09-12-2019 07:41 PM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Buying a nice dog boils down to catching the right man with dog at right time. People put lot value in having dog SS. If I didnt have intentions of goin SS I would try find something no nominated for all extra stuff it will drop price a lot.

Like someone mentioned earlier I will sell any dog I have but it might not be worth what I ask. Hard replace a hound you like and takes long time sometimes.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 09-12-2019 07:41 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Nathan your right there ss dogs really put the price up for that chance at the big money and now so many opportunities for truck tickets sure runs their price up ! I really am looking for a winner like a barn find on an old classic car lmao 😂 I guess what gets me is what guys want for these dogs I obviously will pay up to $8000 for the right one or I would not have wasted money trying one lmao at this rate I’m going to have as much in gas money and hotel fees as the dogs cost

Old Post 09-12-2019 07:56 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Ive bought and sold as many dogs as most, I would advise you to stop looking for that world champion and look for a balanced consistant , accurate hound you can live with til you stumble on to that super star. The dog you are looking for don't come along every day, but everybody has one, til you go look. In your journey you will need to find good hunters, who always pack a good hound, they might not have one for sale, but they might know where one is. These guys usually associate with hound men of the same caliber, guys who hunt hard and know what a coon dog is.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 09-15-2019 02:46 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

Re: Looking for answers lol

quote:
Originally posted by Thechosen
Hello everyone I have some questions that may end up sounding more like a rant if so I apologize . What is going on in the young coon hound world these days ? I stopped Competition hunting about 15 years ago when I didn’t real serious but nowadays I am looking to get back into it and looking for the right young dog I have tried six dogs in the last two months with price range is ranging from $2500 all the way up to 8000 and I cannot sill find the complete package . When I hunted a One year old was just that and when a man said they were started it typically meant they could run and tree their own coon at 12-14 month pretty consistently and they were price accordingly now days it seems a one year old is 22 months old running and treeing with other dogs , it may just be me but when I think of a 22 month old dog for. 2500 and up they should absolutely be able to run and tree their own coon consistently by them selves and be able to take to a hunt and win ! Next thing is mouth and accuracy when did an average mouth become considered over powering mouth and when did 2 coon out of 5 trees become acceptable to price dogs at 5-7500 ! I hunted with a truly nice 21 month old male last night that was cut 4 times alone he fired made 3 trees seen 3 raccoon and put the 4 th track in the ground and looked amazing beautiful tree dog and has proven himself in the hunts with 1700 won in the last 4 months but this male can’t be bought but I did ask his owner what he valued him at he said $5000 because he has a ticket and all ss left my o Ky and I mean only problem with this pup was I didn’t enjoy his mouth because I’ve lost some of my hearing but he is what I remember a young dog could and should be. Where are the these dogs at ?????
you should have bought him

Old Post 09-15-2019 04:13 PM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thechosen
UKC Forum Member

Pigsit ! Your 100% right ! Everyone has that perfect coon hound until they are cut loose . I am looking for a winner but I also realize what one man considers a top hound and another man considers a top hound are two different things . And please everyone don’t get me wrong I’ve hunted with some good hounds but they had some things about them that I personally don’t want to deal with ! And I’ve always been a firm believer of you lower your standards and just settle in life than you have just put greatness out of your reach and have fallen into that ordinary role . I wanna find the barn find lol an old time coon hound man has tied up that doesn’t hunt because he’s seen the political side of competition and just hunts ! I know this hound will be hard to come by and when I do it’s going to cost money but again someone else’s value of a winner and my value are different things ! We sold a nice bitch for $3500 that had every ticket known to the world and made silver champion in $30 hunts and now 2 weeks later she’s forsale for $6500 so to me beauty and value are all in the eyes of who’s looking and who’s selling lol ... Andy milller I tried to buy him he cannot be bought !!! I know the owner has already been offered 8000 and laughed about it. And this is a man that doesn’t think any dog is worth that 😉 so I’m sure my pockets are not as deep as it would take to get him “

Old Post 09-16-2019 11:44 AM