UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > chewing at the tree
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
allohiohunter
New UKC Forum Member

chewing at the tree

Guys I've got a pup that is an every breath tree dog naturally, however this summer she gets very hot and will chew bad if the trees are small enough. she was on Purina One 26/16. I'm going to try victor 22/10 and 24/20 to drop the protein causing the heat. I'm hoping this will knock the heat off of her because when its cooler she's a nice tree dog but Im hoping she doesn't stick to the habit after switching feeds. anyone ever switch to victor or another feed that corrected chewing by cooling the dog off?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-18-2018 05:58 AM
allohiohunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for allohiohunter Click here to Send allohiohunter a Private Message Click Here to Email allohiohunter Find more posts by allohiohunter Add allohiohunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

Switching feed won't change it. It's genetic.

The old timers will tell you, if one will chew, they will stay.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 09-18-2018 04:02 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Your on the right track.... But u have to consider the "type" of protein ...is it a "hot" or "cold" produceing protein source..

Here's a protein heat produceing list.

Neutral Foods

Neutral foods can be used in combination with other foods to decrease the harshness of a very cold or very hot diet.

Beef
Buffalo
Pork
Sardine

Cooling Foods

Cooling foods are foods that allow the body to cool.

Duck
Rabbit

Warming Foods

Warming foods are foods that allow the body to develop and maintain warmth.

Chicken
Pheasant
Turkey

Hot Foods

Hot foods are the most heat generating foods that allow the body to develop and maintain warmth.

Lamb
Venison

Hope this helps. (TCM)

Old Post 09-18-2018 04:03 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

You can’t break it, it’s in them if you find a way let me know been dealing with beavers for 20 yrs lol

Old Post 09-18-2018 04:38 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Don't care what you feed if you hunt a fat, out of shape dog thats a hard tree dog in hot weather good chance it will chew at the tree especially if it trees for a long time. Seen several that chewed in the summer that rarely chewed in the winter. If you are going to hunt in hot weather better to harden your heart and hunt a thin dog.

Old Post 09-18-2018 05:46 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

You may be able to stop it or slow it way down. How does the dog chew with its front teeth or to the side with the back teeth? As far as protein causing one to chew no way the type of protein may cause one to run hotter than normal. All,protein sources are not equal. You can take a file and float there teeth and them take them hunting right after. The teeth will be a little sore and when they chew it will be sore.

Old Post 09-18-2018 06:12 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I can't believe we are now correlating tree gnawing with dog food.

Old Post 09-18-2018 07:46 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Here you go get a bunch of oak bark every day put one table spoon of canned dog food in their pan cover it with oak bark do that for 15 days don't hunt them and don't feed them nothing else !!

It will make a mental imprint the dog won't want to eat bark no more.

Tar

Old Post 09-18-2018 07:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tar, will that work if the dog trees on an Elm tree?

Old Post 09-18-2018 07:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Here you go get a bunch of oak bark every day put one table spoon of canned dog food in their pan cover it with oak bark do that for 15 days don't hunt them and don't feed them nothing else !!

It will make a mental imprint the dog won't want to eat bark no more.

Tar

Dang Tarbaby, one spoon full a day, for 15 days? I wouldn't think he'd have enough strength to even lick a tree

Old Post 09-18-2018 08:07 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don't know I got that out of Bruce's new book :

Chapter six page 97 breaking the habitual tree chewer.

By :
Uncle Bruce

Tar

Old Post 09-18-2018 08:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Cracking me up!

You guys make me laugh LOL! You can also treat it like a opossum and throw bark in his dogbox and shock the hell out of him or maybe tie some around his neck and make him wear it until it rots...

That's a joke kids don't try it at home!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-18-2018 08:12 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
allohiohunter
New UKC Forum Member

She’s thinned down now hardest hunting dog I’ve owned. I don’t let them get out of shape. I hunt her hard no matter what time of year or weather. She just wasnt doing it when it was cooler but now I can tell when it’s 70 and humid at night she picking up chewing. I can tell she’s hot. I know that protein heats them up so I was just wondering if anyone had kick just by changing feed. I know two people now who corrected it by switching feed and backing down the protein. We’ll see, hopefully this victor is good feed and helps

Old Post 09-18-2018 08:44 PM
allohiohunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for allohiohunter Click here to Send allohiohunter a Private Message Click Here to Email allohiohunter Find more posts by allohiohunter Add allohiohunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by allohiohunter
She’s thinned down now hardest hunting dog I’ve owned. I don’t let them get out of shape. I hunt her hard no matter what time of year or weather. She just wasnt doing it when it was cooler but now I can tell when it’s 70 and humid at night she picking up chewing. I can tell she’s hot. I know that protein heats them up so I was just wondering if anyone had kick just by changing feed. I know two people now who corrected it by switching feed and backing down the protein. We’ll see, hopefully this victor is good feed and helps

I have always head that but never found it to be true. It being 70 and humid is whats making her hot not the protein. If you will notice a dog will be hotter on the first tree of the night and calm down as the night goes on. One thing that is probably a issue is hydration. You can solve that with a raw diet and any other issue you have with feed.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 09-18-2018 09:21 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Ed
UKC Forum Member

Chewing

I'm 71 years old and some of the best tree dogs I've had would chew or pull vines. All I can say is those kind will always be there and I've found them to have the coon the higher % of the time

Old Post 09-18-2018 10:00 PM
Pastor Ed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Ed Click here to Send Pastor Ed a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Ed Find more posts by Pastor Ed Add Pastor Ed to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjll
UKC Forum Member

chewing

030 mig wire made like a retainer I used it several times in hunts 20 yrs ago the man who showed me this is well known hunter that has since passed to heaven he was a top hunter and forgot more than most hunters ever know

Old Post 09-18-2018 10:44 PM
tjll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjll Click here to Send tjll a Private Message Click Here to Email tjll Find more posts by tjll Add tjll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

Re: Chewing

quote:
Originally posted by Pastor Ed
I'm 71 years old and some of the best tree dogs I've had would chew or pull vines. All I can say is those kind will always be there and I've found them to have the coon the higher % of the time

Very true statement.

Old Post 09-18-2018 11:33 PM
Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Gray
UKC Forum Member

Re: Chewing

quote:
Originally posted by Pastor Ed

Very true statement.

Brian Gray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Gray Click here to Send Brian Gray a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Gray Add Brian Gray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
I don't know I got that out of Bruce's new book :

Chapter six page 97 breaking the habitual tree chewer.

By :
Uncle Bruce

Tar

Whats the name of this book and where can I order one?

yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tar don't tell me to order it off e bay. I ordered your light off e bay and they sent me a candle and a book of matches.

Old Post 09-19-2018 01:38 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Tar don't tell me to order it off e bay. I ordered your light off e bay and they sent me a candle and a book of matches.
THAT IS FUNNY!

Old Post 09-19-2018 01:43 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Shhhhhhh they don't want you talking about that word on here they are mad at that chimaniese man right now !!

Tar

Old Post 09-19-2018 01:44 AM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Tjill I have not seen that done but I could see it working. As to dogs that chew being stay put tree dogs I would agree with that.

Shadinc you may think it’s comical about correlating chewing with dog food, but there is some truth in it. It may not be a 100% fix all for all dogs. Some dogs chew and you can never stop it, some chew and you can slow it down or stop it. And as far as the dog food some ingredients will cause a dog to run hotter than others. I’ll say it again people have one running hot and the first thing people say is you’re feeding too much protein. No you’re not you’re feeding the wrong kind of protein. Coonhounds are like any other athlete. They need proper nutrition. Which means fat and protein without the proper nutrition and proper conditioning they will not be at there best.

Old Post 09-19-2018 01:57 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote