UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Two pup questions
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MorAnd
UKC Forum Member

Two pup questions

1)For those that have the space and believe in letting pups run loose til they start treeing then put them up and start hunting - ideally, at what age should start to let them run loose, and is better to let them run loose alone or with another pup?

2) What is the youngest age you would use a no bark collar on a pup, and do you think there could be any long term disadvantage to using a no bark collar on a pup?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2024 07:12 PM
MorAnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MorAnd Click here to Send MorAnd a Private Message Find more posts by MorAnd Add MorAnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

I've got a 8 month old pup and a 12 week old puppy running loose right now. They don't really venture far from the house, which in all honesty I don't want them to. I personally rather raise two pups together up until hunting age. I believe it helps them with socialization, maturity, and most of all just learning how to get around. I normally let them run loose until they start to show interest in going a hunting or if I have trapped a coon and they seem to be really interested in it then I put them up.

Old Post 04-16-2024 08:07 PM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Bark collars…I am starting to believe that bark collars can set a dog back…seems they lose a certain amount of confidence…

I was using bark collars regularly and have stopped using them at this time…

I am thinking about buying a bark collar that I will need to push the button myself when I choose to use it and it will be sparingly…

Old Post 04-17-2024 12:44 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’ve used bark collars for 40 yrs. I have NEVER had them adversely effect any of my hounds when using tracking or track and train collars when hunting. Most of the time you’ll find that people who have dogs that have issues with bark collars it is because they’ve used them improperly.

I should add I won’t put a bark collar on a pup younger than 6 mos. I also have them wear the collar inactivated for a week or 2 before activating. I always start them off on vibrate only for the first week. They don’t wear them 24 hrs. a day either. I typically put them on for the day. I’ll use them at night if I need be but most of my issues with barking occur during daylight hours.

Last edited by DL NH on 04-17-2024 at 01:50 AM

Old Post 04-17-2024 01:13 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Only bad ive seen with bark collars is the dog gets collar wise.They know when its on and know when its off. Some learn when you forget to turn em on or the batteries dead.Some dogs i have to reinforce the no bark rule with the stick and boot method.

Old Post 04-17-2024 01:58 AM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I raise my own dogs from pups .

1: their free to roam at will from the start...up until they start getting in to trouble
( e.g)....venturing onto the neighbors homestead...at that point they r either kenneled or tethered.......during the day and at nite they r free to roam again usually around 4-5 months old is when they r confined steady. If your not willing to get out of bed and see what all the fuss is about .....best not letm roam at nite .

2:.bark collars I have no use for ....the pups come to know me and know what is expected.

Old Post 04-17-2024 03:14 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
I raise my own dogs from pups .

1: their free to roam at will from the start...up until they start getting in to trouble
( e.g)....venturing onto the neighbors homestead...at that point they r either kenneled or tethered.......during the day and at nite they r free to roam again usually around 4-5 months old is when they r confined steady. If your not willing to get out of bed and see what all the fuss is about .....best not letm roam at nite .

2:.bark collars I have no use for ....the pups come to know me and know what is expected.

In regards to #2 above, I don’t run bark collars when I’m home. My dogs all know I won’t tolerate much of that. When they bark and I’m home, I know something or someone is around. They also know when I’m not home and they know what happens when the collars are on.

I wish I lived where I could turn pups loose to roam. State highway is within 50 feet of my dog pens. They wouldn’t live long here roaming free.

I wish I had the space to do that as I think there are many benefits of allowing a pup to roam at will up until they start running game………then it’s time to either pen them or tie them………for a few reasons.

Old Post 04-17-2024 03:59 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Letting pups run depends on location—

And time of year. Example would be of course, highways but this time of year I wouldn’t let one loose with out me being with it. Because of the female coyotes having pups and a pup wouldn’t stay a chance. I also don’t hunt this time of year for what they can do to an adult hound.

As far as the bark collars—that, like everything, depends on the individual. I sure would not start on to high of a level and really watch how they respond.

Old Post 04-17-2024 02:57 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

I love leaving my young dogs run loose but this time of year during turkey season has been the most common for my dogs to disappear with out a trace. It may very well be the coyotes that were mentioned above!

Old Post 04-17-2024 06:01 PM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It seems the pups with the most potential put themselves in danger more often than the late starters on account they roam further out at a younger age…coyotes love dog meat…
I’ve seen coyotes come passing through especially during the winter months at night and then you can here some small dog getting tore up by something and that something up probably the coyote that passed by five minutes before…my brother lives a couple houses down from me and he has had a rat terrier come up missing…replaced him with a rat terrier & Jack Russell cross and that came up missing as well…he like to let his dogs run loose at night…I don’t have hard evidence but that’ll be my bet…

Old Post 04-17-2024 09:40 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote