UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? for old timers
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

? for old timers

before GPS trackers- Do you think alot of hounds didn't make it because you could not find them when they were treeing. I mean that a hound who was doing great , ends up not being a good tree dog. Like once he starts ranging out , he gets out of hearing and no reward because you can not find him or can not hear him.

Last edited by Black Ash Bawl on 05-05-2022 at 02:44 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2022 02:32 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I can honestly say in the years that I had coonhounds I never went off and left one treed because I couldn’t get to it. Had a few nights that it took a couple hours to get to them. But never knowingly left one treed.

Old Post 05-05-2022 02:48 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Treed

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I can honestly say in the years that I had coonhounds I never went off and left one treed because I couldn’t get to it. Had a few nights that it took a couple hours to get to them. But never knowingly left one treed.

X2
Never left one........you searched until you found it.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 05-05-2022 12:08 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Hounds hunted like hounds—-

They open on a cold track and hunted from the time they were cut loose. If they didn’t fine a track they would check back in. They treed until you got to them and it was usually within a half to one mile from the truck and if you hunted more then one they would be together at the tree.

None of this BS of taking off like a rocket, no reverse, always need to be alone and have to be “toned” to come back.

True meaning of the good old days👍

But with the crap that some are posting on YouTube and Facebook—this sport of hound hunting has a lot bigger problem!!!

Just glad I am old and got to enjoy it to the fullest😉

Old Post 05-05-2022 12:53 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I second what old timer said. You and the dogs hunted together. It was totally different than how I hunt now. I actually joked last night with a guy that's kind of a sad commentary on the sport. As I watched a dog struggling to run a track. I told him all a coon has to do to fool this dog is leave a track.

Without GPS with the dogs today is not the reward. It is not finding them and today these dogs sure can't find you. The homing instinct is gone. Rewarding a dog with a coon is not of the importance that many feel it is. I run deer hounds also. Most of them have never seen a deer.

Old Post 05-05-2022 01:18 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hounds hunted like hounds—-

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
They open on a cold track and hunted from the time they were cut loose. If they didn’t fine a track they would check back in. They treed until you got to them and it was usually within a half to one mile from the truck and if you hunted more then one they would be together at the tree.

None of this BS of taking off like a rocket, no reverse, always need to be alone and have to be “toned” to come back.

True meaning of the good old days👍

But with the crap that some are posting on YouTube and Facebook—this sport of hound hunting has a lot bigger problem!!!

Just glad I am old and got to enjoy it to the fullest😉

You got that right....on everything you said.
I watch Videos of these young guys out in a Rain Storm or in 7 inches of snow......LOL
Not too smart in my eyes and they will say Old Duke blasted thru & was 700 yards in 15 seconds, and are 8 for 8 in 1 hour.....LOL
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 05-05-2022 01:19 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I hunted dogs with no reverse back then and lost them on a regular basis. Drove around, walked to the top of the hills and all that stuff. Threw the coat out and picked them up the next day alot. They stayed treed right or wrong and it didn't make any difference if they got the coon for the reward. Most of that reward is in our mind. There reward is getting to go hunting and being left out there didn't phase them a bit.
No this was not the good ol days
It was a terrible waste of time and was like work.

Today is the good ol days
I have not left a dog in the woods for many years. I really enjoy the walking a GPS saves

Old Post 05-05-2022 01:56 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Facebook sport downfall

Caged and hangup coon, show me your socks you actually wore out hunting.
Deer chases the worst back in the day, today they call it deep and alone.

Old Post 05-05-2022 02:01 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

We had better “hound men”, back then too

Oh that’s right, it’s 2022 so please change that to hound person and if I should ever screw up and say coon hunter or hunting, hit the freakin tone button and it should change it to RACCOON.

Anyway, “we” spent more time with our hounds years ago. If you had kids they weren’t in everything like today and of course there wasn’t as much for them to pick from. I look at some of my nephews and there is no way they could ever enjoy a hound like I did. Their 3 and 4 year olds are in swimming, dance, hockey, baseball and gymnastics. Then on the weekend they have to go shopping or to the park. Not saying that’s bad, just a total different world.

Were we smarter? Not sure, but I learnt how to know what was happening by their voice and from older hunters. Not by looking at some little screen and then make up excuses for the dog anyway😂

Old Post 05-05-2022 02:06 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

“Reward” is over rated.
Dogs are bred to do what they do naturally without fur in the mouth. Just a little praise is good enough imo. You ask me why? Think about this.
A bloodhound is trained to track human scent. Do you feed them a human leg when they did good lol?

Old Post 05-05-2022 02:21 PM
A House Cat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A House Cat Click here to Send A House Cat a Private Message Find more posts by A House Cat Add A House Cat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Youd have to be a old old timer to have hunted before track collars.If your much older than me then your almost dead.ha.Beep beeps were around long before gps.I started hunting in the mid 70s.I left dogs sometimes.Im sure they were treed somewhere.Back then people didnt hurt hunting dogs.A few did dissapear forever tho.Found most of em ok.Didnt notice it hurting them treeing like they should next time i go hunting.I think it was mid 80s when i got a track outfit..Never left a hound again.Found a couple dead on a road tho.Dogs dont need every coon they tree but they do need some.Ha.They like it.

Old Post 05-05-2022 03:13 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by A House Cat
“Reward” is over rated.

Dogs are bred to do what they do naturally without fur in the mouth. Just a little praise is good enough imo. You ask me why?

Think about this. A bloodhound is trained to track human scent. Do you feed them a human leg when they did good lol?

Good post!

I never had to give a dog any body parts from the off game that they ran until they were taught different!

I also never had a hound that was genetically tree minded that gave me much trouble with off game. They never required fur in their mouth to do what they were genetically pre-dispositioned to do.

To this day I always expect that any hound I start from a pup will need to be taught what NOT to run at some point.

Old Post 05-05-2022 03:27 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Dogs back then

About 72 0r 73 my brother and I hunted a lot together. He had a dog that was I'm guessing half walker / half blue tick. Of course hides were high and coon pretty scarce. This dog would go hunting and tree coon right but I hated him. Most nights were spent looking for him. He was just too hard to find in the western Oklahoma wind. I'd give a pretty penny to have him now with GPS and train to tone. So guys we did have big hunting dogs back then.

Old Post 05-05-2022 05:17 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

My problem back then was having a dog good enough to get treed! They are awful hard to find when they aren't making any noise.

Old Post 05-05-2022 07:42 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb
Youd have to be a old old timer to have hunted before track collars.If your much older than me then your almost dead.ha.Beep beeps were around long before gps.I started hunting in the mid 70s.I left dogs sometimes.Im sure they were treed somewhere.Back then people didnt hurt hunting dogs.A few did dissapear forever tho.Found most of em ok.Didnt notice it hurting them treeing like they should next time i go hunting.I think it was mid 80s when i got a track outfit..Never left a hound again.Found a couple dead on a road tho.Dogs dont need every coon they tree but they do need some.Ha.They like it.

The era I was referring to was the late 70’s. There were some who had telemetry systems. I didn’t have money enough for that until 2000. Lost a beagle Dec. 31st 1999. She was out for over a week with many nights 0° or below.
When I got her back the wife said I should get a tracking system. That was long before GPS but I never lost one again!

Old Post 05-05-2022 11:18 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
The era I was referring to was the late 70’s. There were some who had telemetry systems. I didn’t have money enough for that until 2000. Lost a beagle Dec. 31st 1999. She was out for over a week with many nights 0° or below.
When I got her back the wife said I should get a tracking system. That was long before GPS but I never lost one again!

Yes sir,I didnt think i could afford one and then i went hunting with someone that had one.ha.Next morning i was ordering me one.One of those rare tools that pay for their selves saving time and peace of mind.Havnt turned a coonhound ,, mt curr loose without one since.And havnt lost a dog since.The old beep beeps were a little more of a nuisance to use than the gps but had more range.And were accurate enuff to someone that knew how to use it.Istill have a old tracker brand laying around somewhere.Still works.

Old Post 05-05-2022 11:43 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Georgeb

Started hunting 1956, no beep beep until the 80s. But I did have a shock collar early 60s. Model T coil and a 9 volt square battery. I still have it.

Old Post 05-06-2022 01:09 AM
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

thanks

Back in the late 80's , me and my hunting partner went from wisconsin down to illinois to get us each a pup. I got a Black & Tan from Art Hunzikers house, northern illinois. He got at redbone , picked it up way down in southern Illinois. I got the best hound for pleasure hunting you could ask. His pup was out of Millers Red Betsy. When you turned her loose , she was at least 1 mile away 80 percent of the time , and we live where there was alot of coon. He didn't hunt her much.

Old Post 05-06-2022 08:04 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Georgeb

quote:
Started hunting 1956, no beep beep until the 80s. But I did have a shock collar early 60s. Model T coil and a 9 volt square battery. I still have it.

Yes sir,You are officially an old timer for sure.🙂

Old Post 05-06-2022 12:37 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: We had better “hound men”, back then too

quote:
Oh that’s right, it’s 2022 so please change that to hound person and if I should ever screw up and say coon hunter or hunting, hit the freakin tone button and it should change it to RACCOON.

Anyway, “we” spent more time with our hounds years ago. If you had kids they weren’t in everything like today and of course there wasn’t as much for them to pick from. I look at some of my nephews and there is no way they could ever enjoy a hound like I did. Their 3 and 4 year olds are in swimming, dance, hockey, baseball and gymnastics. Then on the weekend they have to go shopping or to the park. Not saying that’s bad, just a total different world.

Were we smarter? Not sure, but I learnt how to know what was happening by their voice and from older hunters. Not by looking at some little screen and then make up excuses for the dog anyway😂

Houndsmen and women today love the sport just as much as they did 100 years ago, and just as much as they will 100 years from now.

Different isn't wrong. It's just different.

Old Post 05-08-2022 05:20 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: We had better “hound men”, back then too

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Houndsmen and women today love the sport just as much as they did 100 years ago, and just as much as they will 100 years from now.

Different isn't wrong. It's just different.

Exactly. I've hunted with and without GPS and I prefer GPS. By looking at "that little screen", you can learn a lot about a dog and how it is operating. Is that a bad thing? I can't see one reason why it would be.

Old Post 05-11-2022 07:17 PM
Leatherwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leatherwood Click here to Send Leatherwood a Private Message Find more posts by Leatherwood Add Leatherwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Frederick
My problem back then was having a dog good enough to get treed! They are awful hard to find when they aren't making any noise.

That is a true statement..I started in the late seventies and very few people had a dog around here that would even stay treed..When they did you tried to get to them quick..Yes it was some good dogs just not as many..We also pack hunted..Competition Hunts were calling contests because very few slick trees..If you had one that didn't pack or jealous treed a few trees over he was culled..Things have changed..If you have one that will cover now he better be able to stay treed with any kind of treedog.

Old Post 05-11-2022 07:46 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Where i lived in Ga.and hunted in the 70s there were some Hard treedogs.Coon dogs.But most were ill on the tree. Mostly males.Not many registered hounds.Back then Ga had a open season year round with no bag limit in the area of Ga i lived in.Not sure about the whole state.The woods wasnt crawling with coons but there was good hunting if you could break your dog off deer and fox.It was hard work breaking hounds off trash.lol.People would hear i was a coonhunter and ask me to hunt on there land.Things have changed.ha.

Old Post 05-11-2022 08:50 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

"Houndsmen and women today love the sport just as much as they did 100 years ago"

Sir,
100 years ago it wasn't a sport. It was a way to but food on the table and extra money for Christmas. It became a sport when the scorecard was carried to the woods to get a trophy and title and the .22 was left at home. Then along came the "game" of winning big money and the .22 was still left at home.
So I agree it's different but just remember different isn't always wrong or better, it's just different.

And as far as 100 years from now?? Heck, there won't be any of this in 50 years.

Old Post 05-11-2022 09:46 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: "Houndsmen and women today love the sport just as much as they did 100 years ago"

quote:
Sir,
100 years ago it wasn't a sport. It was a way to but food on the table and extra money for Christmas. It became a sport when the scorecard was carried to the woods to get a trophy and title and the .22 was left at home. Then along came the "game" of winning big money and the .22 was still left at home.
So I agree it's different but just remember different isn't always wrong or better, it's just different.

And as far as 100 years from now?? Heck, there won't be any of this in 50 years.

If you don't think men have been competing with dogs since as long as there were two men with dogs you don't know folks well enough.

If you don't think it's gonna be around in 50 years, I suggest you help us do something about that to the best of your ability.

Old Post 05-12-2022 12:21 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote