UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > This sport has given so much to me.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

This sport has given so much to me.

We talk about this sport being a dying sport. We talk about a lot of negative things that happen. We complain when we think things could be better.

Bottom line is. At the age of 72, if I lived to be 100 and everyday from now till my 100th birthday. I had a negative experience with Coonhunting or my hounds. The good would far outweigh the negative in my life, that hounds and hunting have brought me.

This sport like everything else in America. It is changing. I think the biggest thing and one that hurts the most is the places we have to hunt. Nothing worse than hunting a spot for years and then drive up one night and find posted signs. Feels like a part of you was cut out.

Support our Youth and Support doing the right thing and not bringing a black eye to Hunting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-2022 12:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

The thing with real estate is there isn’t any more being made! Here in the Northeast the last 10-15 years has seen us loose a ton of hunting country. Lots of big money people buying large tracts of land and want no one else on it for any reason. Northeastern VT and Northern NH had huge tracts of land that paper companies owned. Most of it has been sold off now. Some of it to the States. Some of it to the Federal Govt. Years ago the roads through out this country required 4 WD or all terrain vehicles. Now you can drive through miles of it with a car. Maine has experienced the same.

Sad to see. Glad I’m not 19 with the burn to run dogs every night the way I once did.

Old Post 02-18-2022 02:26 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
The thing with real estate is there isn’t any more being made! Here in the Northeast the last 10-15 years has seen us loose a ton of hunting country. Lots of big money people buying large tracts of land and want no one else on it for any reason. Northeastern VT and Northern NH had huge tracts of land that paper companies owned. Most of it has been sold off now. Some of it to the States. Some of it to the Federal Govt. Years ago the roads through out this country required 4 WD or all terrain vehicles. Now you can drive through miles of it with a car. Maine has experienced the same.

Sad to see. Glad I’m not 19 with the burn to run dogs every night the way I once did.

This right here is why hunting with dogs will slowly come to a close without space its just impossible to enjoy what your doing. Around here timber cutting is just rampant. Ive lost a lot of hunting to trees just being mauled.

I'm glad I took advantage of the years I had to enjoy it and I cannot see how it continues in the vast majority of the states.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 02-18-2022 11:10 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

One of the other things that has really hurt the bird and small game hunters here in the Northeast is the mechanization of the logging industry. This industry has totally changed over the last 30-40 years. Here in NE I’d say that the majority of the loggers rely on the sale of wood chips to keep them in business. Years ago the tops and limbs under 2-3 inches in dia. were left where the were cut. Now a days anything not salable as lumber is dragged out tree length for the most part and run through a chipper. This has a definite adverse impact on wildlife habitat.

It also creates land erosion issues. When large tracts of land are thoughtlessly stripped the natural creatures that inhabit these areas either die off or are forced to move out of necessity for survival.

I happen to believe that God created the heavens and the earth as recorded in His written Word, the bible.

The last verse of Genesis 1 says, “And God saw everything that He had made and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.”

The good news for those belonging to Christ is found in Revelation 21:1 where it says there is a new Heaven and a new earth coming! I can’t wait to awaken on resurrection day to see it!

Old Post 02-19-2022 04:00 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joelunchbucket
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I submitted a rule change proposal with the FWC to open up WMAs during small game season to coon hunting and to allow dog training during the off season. Time will tell where it goes, but almost all of our public lands in FL currently provide few to no coon hunting opportunities. Hoping to change that, so that as access to private land diminishes over time, there will still be places for Florida coon hunters to be able to work their dogs.

Last edited by Joelunchbucket on 02-21-2022 at 01:28 AM

Old Post 02-21-2022 01:26 AM
Joelunchbucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joelunchbucket Click here to Send Joelunchbucket a Private Message Find more posts by Joelunchbucket Add Joelunchbucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joe what part of the state do you hunt in. I am on the Board of the American Houndsman Federation here in Fl. That is one thing on out agenda for this year.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-21-2022 at 12:15 PM

Old Post 02-21-2022 12:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joelunchbucket
UKC Forum Member

Osceola County.

I worked with Andrea Boliek from their Ocala office to submit the rule change proposal. She’s been helpful. Any assistance the Federation could provide in support of the proposal would be helpful. They are just beginning their outreach for their next rule making cycle, so it won’t be considered for a while still and wouldn’t take effect until the 23-24 seasons if adopted, so now is a good time for the Federation to start a dialogue with her to express their support for the concept. I can forward you my email of the proposed changes, if you want to share your email address here (I broke the concept down to 2 WMA specific proposals and 2 identical statewide proposals so that if they said no to one part of the idea, they didn’t have to say no to the whole concept, and if they didn’t like any part of it at the state wide level, they could still implement it at the specific WMA that’s closest to me).

Last edited by Joelunchbucket on 02-22-2022 at 01:01 AM

Old Post 02-22-2022 12:41 AM
Joelunchbucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joelunchbucket Click here to Send Joelunchbucket a Private Message Find more posts by Joelunchbucket Add Joelunchbucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joelunchbucket
UKC Forum Member

Proposal moving along

Bruce,

Were you ever able to get in touch with Andrea? I heard rumor that the statewide rule change proposal I submitted to open FL WMAs up to hunting raccoons with hounds is currently making its way through the staff review process.

Fingers crossed that it moves forward and results in some meaningful opportunities in the near future!

Joelunchbucket

Last edited by Joelunchbucket on 05-18-2022 at 10:21 PM

Old Post 05-18-2022 10:19 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

What it has done?
I can tell you what it’s done for me but unless you really lived it they is no way you could truly understand and appreciate it.
It changed EVERYTHING about me!! It took a guy that was no good for his Parents, children, his self or society...it done a complete makeover on him. It changed a lot of his views, it changed his ways, it changed who he was then and made him who is is today!! He’s still not much but he’s a heck of a lot better than he was.

Old Post 05-19-2022 09:17 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote