UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What Does It Take????
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

What Does It Take????

what does it take to make a hound a top winner?? You see all these high priced hounds so what makes them winners and what separates them from your average dog?

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2020 11:37 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: What Does It Take????

quote:
Originally posted by bluetikman
what makes them winners and what separates them from your average dog?

The person on the other end of the leash 👍

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:03 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If an ole boy don’t have a backer with deep pockets you will never read about that top dog unless ole money bags buys it.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:11 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Top winner

First a dog has got to have ALL the tools and know how to use them, second the dog must be indifferent to what the other dogs are doing. None of this treeing slick because another dog treed slick or running something wrong because another dog runs wrong. If you have a really good dog that pays no attention to the other dogs and operates to their ability, you WILL have a winning dog. Dave

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:19 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

A consistent coon treer, a good handler, lots of time to hunt, a good income and finally you have to take them to town consistently. To me this is the biggest thing there are some pretty decent dogs that never get to the next level because the people hunting them have a regular job, kids in sports and so on. These fellas who are doing a lot of winning sacrifice a lot to do it and go to a lot of hunts.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:53 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, so any consistent coon treer can become a top big hunt winner if they have a good handler with a lot of money, time and desire? The dog doesn't have to have that much talent?

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:01 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steeb_63
UKC Forum Member

To me the most important thing is SACRIFICE!!
You have to sacrifice time out of your day to put these hounds in the woods.Its not easy at all to hunt 6 or 7 nights a week and sometimes it even sucks but you still take them. Dogs are like atheletes practice makes perfect. And they need your dedication just as you need theirs! Genetics and ability are very helpful also. They all don't make it!! Big income good handler? I've got neither of these backing my hounds but sacrifice alot of other things in order to do what I want. I sleep in my vehicle at hunts and I eat mostly what I pack. Fun? Not really but I still go. I don't have that big winner but I'm sure trying to get one there.

2018 2ND PLACE BREED WINNER PKC
2019 ILLINOIS STATE CHAMPION
2019 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATL GRNITECH OF BREED
2019 ZONE 3 HIGH SCORING DOG
2019 WORLD CH TOP 100
2019 PURINA NATIONALS BREED WINNER.
2019 FALL ROUND UP KING OF THE HUNT.
2019 ERCHA PKC PRO HUNT TOP 4
2020 WINTER CLASSIC SAT. 4TH PLACE CHAMPION DIVISION
2020 WORLD QUALIIFIED
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL HUNT WINNER
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS DOUBLE CAST WINNER 3RD PLACE GRNITECH FRI AND 4TH PLACE GRNITECH SAT
2020 Natl english days high scoring dog overall fri 1rst place grnitech sat 3rd place grnitech.
2021 invitational hunt winner
2021 natl bluetick days 9th place RQE winner
T0C Top 64 winner

ALSO HOME OF
PR Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee[dual grand penny x grnitech krypt]
nitech Stebers Big Ole Slick
NITECH STEBERS MIGHTY LONESOME 3 AKA CASH[7 wins towards grnitech
Stebers Mighty Blue Bell
Stebers 5 Gen
Stebers Pure Country
Stebers Shining Diamond
Stebers Lonesome Sue
Stebers Mighty Blue Patsy
Stebers Ole Blue Betty
Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee II
AND SEVERAL YOUNG ONES IN THE MIX

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:35 AM
steeb_63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steeb_63 Click here to Send steeb_63 a Private Message Click Here to Email steeb_63 Find more posts by steeb_63 Add steeb_63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

steeb_63

You sound like the real deal, I wish you much success. Dave

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:47 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
If an ole boy don’t have a backer with deep pockets you will never read about that top dog unless ole money bags buys it.

Tar

Somebody has to train it first. Seems to be far more handlers then trainers these days.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:29 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

You don't make a big winner, they're are born with it. You can have a man made dog and do a little winning with them, but the dog your dreaming of is born with a little extra.
If your lucky enough to get that dog as a puppy and your a half way decent dog man you'll get your picture took.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:34 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GCH Viper
You don't make a big winner, they're are born with it. You can have a man made dog and do a little winning with them, but the dog your dreaming of is born with a little extra.
If your lucky enough to get that dog as a puppy and your a half way decent dog man you'll get your picture took.

Nuff Said

Old Post 08-10-2020 04:10 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by GCH Viper

Maybe once but try getting getting that picture took multiple times if you don’t have the deep pockets to keep pushing the dog. Some entry fees are more than some pay for a dog nowadays.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 06:13 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Pro hunts are only $300 to enter, most pro classics are $1000 and under. And all legacy hunts are $100 or $75 Yeah there are $6500 entries but nobody says you have to enter those to get your taken.

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:36 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

After reading, watching video and talking to some friends about hunt results from this weekend. I was thinking about what this poster asked as I made coffee this morning.

Some of the men involved in a big win this weekend. Have been around for quite some time. Actually were involved with perhaps one of the most famous winning hound of all time. So how did they get from where they were several years ago. Then slowing down and almost non existent in the winners circle to now coming back and being on top again. Some men know what it takes to win.

The question that was asked by bluetikman. Was how do you make a hound a top winner? First you have to find a pup or young dog making a very nice hound. That takes a determined person to hunt that young dog. Then the dog has to be discovered. Not discovered as a top hound but discovered as having something extra. Lots of good pups out there that are solid coondogs. But they never get discovered. Just like movie stars and great singers. There are people singing in Church every Sunday that bless thousands with their voices over their lifetime while there are people out there making millions with their voices. The quality of both voices are the same.
So your hound has to go through discovery process, which cost money. Then it has to be pushed and exposed which also cost money. Thousands of coon hunters feel they have top hounds because they perform in their neck of the woods and tree a bunch of coon. Thats great. But it is different when hauling one to different areas. You will never know until you expose a dog to different conditions at different times of the year. This cost money.
So to get a good hound in your backyard to the top. It has to have money spent on it to get discovered, tested and proven. The more experienced and determined the handler is through this experience the better chance the dog has. So to answer your question in one sentence. The dog has to have a foundation of ability with money, desire, opportunity and some good breaks stacked on it. The owner also has to know when to fold his cards and move on to another dog. That is where most fail or cry sour grapes and quit. One thing many fail to see is the difference between a top competition hound and a top coonhound. Years past the difference was a good pleasure hound could make a good competition hound. Today it is different. There are quality hounds that won't never make a top completion hound. Because how the game is played at the top is different than how the game is played on the mountain or swamp you hunt. You would not buy your daughter a race horse as her first horse to ride. The division in dogs is becoming the same as it is in horses. A clam gentle nag can be a great horse loved by the family and but never win a race. On a side note. I asked a man yesterday if he saw any dog he really liked at a larger hunt this weekend. He said one. He said it was a Sunrise/Wipeout bred hound. So you take a man that knows dogs. They only see one dog they like out of a bunch of winners. That tells you the quality isn't what it should be at the top as it has become a game of winning. A game played with race horse caliber dogs and not those dogs everyone can ride. I think there will be a shift in the tide of where our "top comp" dogs are heading. As they are becoming to hard to ride. It will come back to a quality hound most of us remember that can win and be enjoyed at the same time. But if it doesn't and you have one that wins some and you enjoy all the time. Perhaps you are the real winner in the coonhound game. You just have to take your own picture and enjoy it.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-10-2020 at 01:14 PM

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
Pro hunts are only $300 to enter, most pro classics are $1000 and under. And all legacy hunts are $100 or $75 Yeah there are $6500 entries but nobody says you have to enter those to get your taken.

So after you pay the entry fee there are no other expenses?

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:14 PM
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

I live in east central Indiana and hunt out of a Tacoma, travel/gas expenses are rather low, and I don’t eat much. I can be at a hunt any given weekend in a hour or two. But my desire to go to a hunt is at an all time low, so I haven’t been to one in months.

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:29 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So after you pay the entry fee there are no other expenses?

Tar

Depends upon where the hunt is compared to your house. If you're travelling to such a hunt then yes there's more $ involved because of hotels and gas. But for the actual hunt, just the entry fee. I think there's less drama in the higher entry hunts as well. Because Ol'Jim Bob that refuses to read the rules or refuses to understand the rules won't enter his dog.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:41 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

One thing not mentioned. You have to enjoy going to competition hunts. For the fellowship not the win. You have to be able to acknowledge the winner and not be jealous of him. You have to learn when you loose you were not cheated, your dog was just beat. All those things go into having a top hound that is recognized.

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Depends upon where the hunt is compared to your house. If you're travelling to such a hunt then yes there's more $ involved because of hotels and gas. But for the actual hunt, just the entry fee. I think there's less drama in the higher entry hunts as well. Because Ol'Jim Bob that refuses to read the rules or refuses to understand the rules won't enter his dog.

Eric in those large entry hunts the big money men are buying up all the entry’s before anyone else can so they more less pick their competition. Not that I could afford it we went to a legacy hunt the other night 5 hour drive Mallory got in so it was about 8:00 the next morning when I got home. This fat boy don’t want it that bad no more. We was going to autum oaks but that ain’t going to pan out. Ada and the Texas state hunt are canceled. I am just going to enjoy my young dog this fall kudos to you young guys still playing the game.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:00 PM
DOGSSTRICK
UKC Forum Member

Eric in those large entry hunts the big money men are buying up all the entry’s before anyone else can so they more less pick their competition. I think ive seen and heard it all no the big money men are picking there completion.lol lol lol lol my side is hurting .Yea I agree because these other so called big money men cant afford to buy the best hounds or hire the best handler in the world Hell it makes sense to me.

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:20 PM
DOGSSTRICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGSSTRICK Click here to Send DOGSSTRICK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOGSSTRICK Find more posts by DOGSSTRICK Add DOGSSTRICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
kudos to you young guys still playing the game.
Tar

Now that is the right attitude. You have to admire and respect the men with the desire, determination and talent to still "play the game". Just because we are jealous because we can't or don't still have it is no reason to moan, complain and gripe about them. We should be showing a little more respect for those big winners.
And I just love the guys that say, " my dog could be a big winner if it just had the right backer and handler". Then they go on to start running down the big winning handlers and owners.

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:31 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

This thread started out asking about dogs and somehow got changed to big money men and handlers. So, back to the dogs. Why are some dogs "winners" and some dogs "coon dogs"? I have had dogs that I really liked and treed a lot of coons but they weren't big winners. I have had other dogs that weren't that nice and I didn't like so much but they were comp hunt winners. They just seemed lucky. They don't dominate a cast but at the end of the night, they are ahead.

And why do most dogs win in spurts? They will go 4-6 weeks and not get beat. Then they will go 4-6 weeks and can't win a cast.

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:41 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Somebody has to train it first. Seems to be far more handlers then trainers these days.
Be careful there Donnie.....your getting awfully close to the truth!

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:50 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

BRUCE praise the lord if you are right I wouldn't hunt half these so called top hounds Why do you think PKC reduced the hunt time to 90 min. most of us guiding the pkc hunt are trespassing after the first 10min. a dog MUST go hunting but not 3/4 mile every drop !!

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:58 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOGSSTRICK
UKC Forum Member

Ok lets try to answer some of this but most of what im gonna say is just a matter of opinion and my opinion really doesn't make a hill of beans so here we go.1 A dog HAS to have a coon when he gets treed and it cant be just at your house or on a feeder bucket or at a certain time of year HE HAS TO have the grocerys.2 A dog has to go hunting and I mean go hunting not get out of your sight and mingle around he needs to be looking for a coon this doesn't mean he needs to blow through the country every drop,The worst that ive every been beat was at my hunting in a pro hunt while hunting habit a 11 year old male dog treed 7 singles and never left 20 acres while mine was sitting trough the country on a den.3 A dog has to keep what ever points he gets he cant do stupid stuff and loose what hes got 4 A dog has to have enough mouth to stay in pocket and the handler needs to be able to pick him out in a crowd 5 A dog needs to be for me indepentant if hes not then he needs to be a great strike dog that is quick but he still has to have coons when u get there he cant just back every slick treeing idiot on a cast.So this is the first 5 things I look for before I proceed on with a potential hound after these 5 basic things theres another 10-12 that needs to happen or needs to be trained into one before I consider hauling and spending money on and at the end of the day if one pays his on way then you've accomplished what you've set out to do if your looking for a hound to make a living with then my advise is go find another occupation because it is almost impossible to keep it all together for long enough to feed your family off of.John ps as I said this is my opinion and theres a whole lot of people out there a hell of a lot smarter then me

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:22 PM
DOGSSTRICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGSSTRICK Click here to Send DOGSSTRICK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOGSSTRICK Find more posts by DOGSSTRICK Add DOGSSTRICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote