UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting alone. Who does it
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cotton1927

My measuring stick is the same alone or with some one. I am my dogs worst critic, I give some away that others seem to think are coon dogs. If my dogs so can not operate to suit me hunting by themselves, I just won't keep them. A lot of dogs look good with other digs, but fail to impress hunting alone. Now what suits me may or may not suit some one else, but they have to suit me. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-05-2020 03:17 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

Hunting alone

Well Ive read all the responses and most of them are from older hunters, so I will put my 2 cents worth in. Iam 69 and started at 12 with an older man. I have always hunted with several friends, all through my teens and 20s we would have 4 in a pickup single cab all bunched up all smoking or chewing, each loaded one dog. We treed alot of coons and most of us went to a nite-hunt on the weekend. We had a lot of good fun and none of us hunted alone. Friends get older and some move away and things just change. I hunt some nites with just one friend and some nites there is 4 of us, but hardly never hunt alone. The only time I hunt alone is to see a new prospect strike and tree a coon alone. I coon hunt for the fun of it which requires another human being along. When alone I just dont enjoy myself. If my dog does good I want someone to see and hear his performance. Ive always thought the alone hunters do it to make their dog better and for some that is true but my experience with hounds has shown me its not required. My best Grand nite ch. at holding pressure on a tree was never hunted once in his life by himself. He would fall out of a red hot race and blow the top out and have the meat while 3 other hounds went screaming down the holler. The Grand nite I have now is 9 and consistently gets off by himself, trees and has the coon, letting all other dogs run around and do whatever. He has been hunted a couple of times all by himself in his entire life, so this and other dogs has shown me its the genes they are born with that gives them that independent desire to hunt alone, and tree alone not being hunted alone but with all that said I just can not enjoy hunting alone and dont plan on starting anytime soon.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 02-05-2020 03:55 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

James Garrison you are a blessed man to have had and still have that many to hunt with. I am 70 and started hunting with my dad and uncle at 8. Nearly always thru life had a hunting buddy that went with me every night I hunted. Hunted a little by myself but not much. Now I hunt mostly alone not by choice but because those guys are gone and I have moved. Would love to have an every night hunting buddy. I do have two guys I hunt with some but each is an hour away. Like someone said. A good hunting partner is harder to find than a good coon dog. I hunt alone but not by preference.

Old Post 02-05-2020 04:03 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Alone

Dave I'm glad your dogs suit you that's important your feeding them, and everyone is there own dogs worst critic everyone ! Everyone says that I'm sure they think it's so, and giving dogs away some people call coon dogs is what I'm talking about,you ever hear the phrase ( elephant in the Room) ? Everyone sees it but you , enjoy your hounds as you can, having said that, saying another set of eyes and ears can't help evaluate a hound at times is like saying your the only coon hunter in the world.... I'm sure there must be at least one other in Tennesse.....

Old Post 02-05-2020 05:13 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cotton1927

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
My measuring stick is the same alone or with some one. I am my dogs worst critic, I give some away that others seem to think are coon dogs. If my dogs so can not operate to suit me hunting by themselves, I just won't keep them. A lot of dogs look good with other digs, but fail to impress hunting alone. Now what suits me may or may not suit some one else, but they have to suit me. Dave

Dave,

I hunt by myself so much that my dog looks like a flaming idiot for the first 2-3 drops with other dogs. She gets so excited you would think she was a male.

Cotton 1927,

I have seen people who know what dogs are doing, and I have seen those who don't have clue. Some people are just more analytical.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-05-2020 06:01 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cotton1927

You have certainly missed the boat in what I have ACTUALLY said in my posts. I never said an extra set of ears and eyes was not better. What I said was that there are times when I like to hunt alone with just myself and my dog/s to see exactly what my dogs can do by themselves. I can better focus on my dogs by myself without some one else distracting me . I rarely get to hunt alone and I want to enjoy those nights the best I can. I am NOT a dog trainer, but I have a hunting partner who is a TOP TRAINER, my only desire in hunting alone the few nights I actually get to hunt alone, is SEEING my dogs perform by themselves. ( good or bad ) My comment about giving dogs away that others thought were coon dogs was TRUE and was made to show the differences in how people judge dogs. The only elephant in the room you painted was you. Reading comprehension may not be your best talent, please stick to what I actually said not what you thought I said. Dave

Old Post 02-05-2020 06:40 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I am 73, I have hunted almost none the past year, my wife has been sick, she is doing better now, so I may crank up again. In high school I hunted with friends and relatives, we always had a fun time, if we treed a coon or not. After coming home from Nam the last time, it took me a couple years to get interested in hunting again, had a new wife, a new job and a new mortgage. All my friends were scattered from the past, the hunters I knew were all old and either quit or weren't hunting much. I picked up a young dog, and went to work on him, finally got him to looking up. I've hunted pretty much alone these past forty years, seems I'm always working a bronky young dog or got something that needs adjustment. Met a lot of hunters at hunts across the country and some are still friends. The truth of the matter is, my dogs are so sorry, no one will hunt with me.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-05-2020 08:27 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pigsit

Lol. I bet your dogs are pretty nice dogs, I tend to pay more attention to a man who does not brag on his dogs, he usually has pretty nice dogs. Dave

Old Post 02-05-2020 09:03 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dave

Mr Dave I understand your post completely and my comprehension is actually pretty good,the only thing I haven't figured out yet is how you haven't hurt yourself sooner by falling off your pedestal .....you mite wanna read your own stuff before you hit submit......good hunting to ya!

Old Post 02-05-2020 09:19 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I like to hunt alone and because I am an old hide hunter by heart I might want to pet my dog for treeing a possum and nobody sees it but me lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-05-2020 09:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cotton1927

You know what they say, karma is a b**ch, my pedestal has been broke for many years, hope yours does not have a crack in it, the fall can be painful. Hooked on phonics works, you need to give it a shot, just might help. Dave

Old Post 02-05-2020 09:53 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I like to hunt alone and because I am an old hide hunter by heart I might want to pet my dog for treeing a possum and nobody sees it but me lol.

Tar

You know ego doesn't get in the way as much when no else is watching. Learned that training horses.

Old Post 02-05-2020 10:24 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

Tar

You know ego doesn't get in the way as much when no else is watching. Learned that training horses.

Old Post 02-05-2020 10:24 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

You got that right, letting go of the ego and judging the dog on it's merits are an advantage of hunting the dog alone and by yourself. I feel that you get a much better picture if what your dog is doing without being concerned over some one else's opinion. You are judging the dog on it's performance alone and are able to ficus on both the good and bad points, and the end results are what counts. Dave

Old Post 02-05-2020 10:53 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Dave, Tar, Tom. I too am over 70, seems like that is a bad thing to some folk. I deeply appreciate your in sight. I love hunting with others, but, I have done the bad thing. Out lived my friends or their want too. But I don't never want to hunt against anyone again. I do however want my dog to do their share. SOOO some time I hunt them alone just to see if they are doing it. Keep writing you old coots, lol

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:25 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

You are correct, some folks have no choice in hunting by themselves, if they want to hunt. It may just be that they do not have a dependable buddy to hunt with, or any number of things. Now, some folks just like the benefit or freedom of hunting by themselves by choice, while a lot of us enjoy hunting with others mostly and going by ourselves when we want to. I love both hunting with others and occasionally by myself ( with GOD as my hunting buddy for the night) Hard to beat a cold frosty night listening to a coon dog run and tree, thanking GOD for the privilege of just being there one more night to witness something you love to do. Age brings a realization that nothing is forever on this earth, and a stronger desire and appreciation for what we have. Oh , to have had this knowledge and used it my entire life, but better late than never. These old dogs sound better, the leaves look prettier and the Apple tastes sweeter these days, please enjoy life and put GOD first. Dave

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:49 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I hunt alone most of the time. Don't you sometime wish you had someone else along to witness something you saw or heard? Especially with a young dog .

Old Post 02-06-2020 01:50 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have two hunting buddies but I have hunted with one for 35+ years he also hunts with others. But I enjoy just me and one dog. Especially a young dog I have my own training methods that have worked for me. When they start correcting their dog for going to anouther dog. Or tell me where and when to hunt and want to stay longer than i do or tell me what coons I can shoot. That’s when I get my coffee and my lawn chair and my dog and go solo. Often times I just go about the time everybody else is coming in just so they don’t know where I am hunting.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 02:07 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
James Garrison you are a blessed man to have had and still have that many to hunt with. I am 70 and started hunting with my dad and uncle at 8. Nearly always thru life had a hunting buddy that went with me every night I hunted. Hunted a little by myself but not much. Now I hunt mostly alone not by choice but because those guys are gone and I have moved. Would love to have an every night hunting buddy. I do have two guys I hunt with some but each is an hour away. Like someone said. A good hunting partner is harder to find than a good coon dog. I hunt alone but not by preference.

But we do have fun though buddy still snowing here. Next week we will get after em. I do hunt quite a bit by myself , mainly because of work Kids are all grown and gone and grand kids etc. and sometimes I just like to go later at night or early mornings , summer and winter.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-06-2020 03:48 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Roy Grant

quote:
You are correct, some folks have no choice in hunting by themselves, if they want to hunt. It may just be that they do not have a dependable buddy to hunt with, or any number of things. Now, some folks just like the benefit or freedom of hunting by themselves by choice, while a lot of us enjoy hunting with others mostly and going by ourselves when we want to. I love both hunting with others and occasionally by myself ( with GOD as my hunting buddy for the night) Hard to beat a cold frosty night listening to a coon dog run and tree, thanking GOD for the privilege of just being there one more night to witness something you love to do. Age brings a realization that nothing is forever on this earth, and a stronger desire and appreciation for what we have. Oh , to have had this knowledge and used it my entire life, but better late than never. These old dogs sound better, the leaves look prettier and the Apple tastes sweeter these days, please enjoy life and put GOD first. Dave

Well said Dave!

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-06-2020 03:50 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Chuck Allen just wish we lived 10 miles apart.

Old Post 02-06-2020 04:11 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pigsit

quote:
Lol. I bet your dogs are pretty nice dogs, I tend to pay more attention to a man who does not brag on his dogs, he usually has pretty nice dogs. Dave

Dave, I don't know about some on here, but I normally see dogs my buddy has that I like better than mine. Mostly because I don't own them. If I did own them I'd start hating them too.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-06-2020 06:53 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

Lol. Been there and done that. Something about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. We do not have to be diplomatic when we are discussing our own dogs faults, we have ownership freedom, no blinders needed. Dave

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:24 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

You are a young man with a lot of wisdom and savvy. You know a coon dog and are always looking for that special one. Not being content with average dogs gives you the opportunity to own the best. You and I would have a blast coon hunting together, looking for one more Top COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:29 PM
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

Life 360

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
Dan
My wife and I have a program on our phones called life 360. We can see exactly where each other is at all times-well within phone reception. I normally hunt within a few miles of home and it's not uncommon for me to call her to come give me a lift. With life 360 I don't need to give any directions, she just tracks me down and if something was to happen to me she'd be able to tell where I was and when I was last moving. Just something you might look into.

I appreciate the tip on life 360. It gives my wife and I a lot of confidence. Thank you.

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:52 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote