UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting alone. Who does it
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
V.R. Eakins
UKC Forum Member

Hunting Alone

yep I hunted alone until I was 70 but now with all the of damage done to our woods by Hurricanes over the last couple yrs. wife doesn't give the Blessings about the alone thing anymore. If i had your woods or wood lots I would be running thru them to these Holsteins of mine. You boys just don't know how good you got it. So go my friend have a great time in GOD's great outdoors listening to your favorite hound I sure envy you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-19-2020 04:46 AM
V.R. Eakins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V.R. Eakins Click here to Send V.R. Eakins a Private Message Find more posts by V.R. Eakins Add V.R. Eakins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

VR, I agree, the hurricanes we've had here have sure made a mess of the forest. I'm still going even though I know it's more dangerous. We have many leaning trees that could fall at any minute or that dogs tend to climb and fall out of. And then there's the fallen trees and trees that cress cross each other that become almost impenetrable. In the spring under growth will grow up around the fallen trees and it will be even worse.

Old Post 02-19-2020 05:47 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I hunt alone 95% of the time and have for the better part of my life. I'm 54, will be 55 in April. I enjoy being in the woods with just me and my dogs. I don't do it because I'm a die in the wool comp hunter as I haven't hit the hunts much in years. I'll hunt one dog, two dogs and sometimes three dogs all by myself. I just enjoy being in the woods listening to my hounds and the sounds of the night.
When I do hunt with others I enjoy those nights just as much as when I'm alone but for different reasons. When I go out to Indiana and hunt with Hoosier, Jerry Debolt and Mike Blackburn we have a blast picking at each other and the dogs.. Ok they pick on me and my dogs, but I still enjoy it!

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 02-19-2020 08:10 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Few coonhunters will admit it but I know of several scared to hunt alone. There's several big foot and mountain lions prowling around in the woods.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 02-20-2020 05:15 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I was hunting one night during deer season and found a stray deer hound. I called the number and the man asked where I was and he said, Man you way out there. I encouraged him to come get the dog. So he agreed. A while later he called to confirm that I was still with the dog. He finally showed up and was shaking in his boots. He was so scared. And he lived on the edge of the forest.

Old Post 02-20-2020 05:20 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
Few coonhunters will admit it but I know of several scared to hunt alone. There's several big foot and mountain lions prowling around in the woods.

The first time I coon hunted at 13 years old, I was left in a cemetery between a mausoleum with a broken door and the abandoned care takers house. I will admit it was a little unsettling.

While I was still in high school, I hunted a local body dump area by my self. Every one at school thought I was nuts. I got over the dark along time ago. In fact, I love the night.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-20-2020 05:56 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sometimes I think a campfire with a pot of coffee and a sleeping bag and listen to an ole blue dog bawl for several hours might be enjoyable now.

Tar

Old Post 02-20-2020 06:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I think so too. But I know all four dogs will be soon finished and will want to get into the bag with me. That's ok but there is room for only me and a couple of dogs.

Old Post 02-20-2020 07:47 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Croatankid

You know how the Indians rated how cold it was don't you? 1 dog 2 dog, 3 dog, etc. Sleeping with you to keep you warm. Glad to see you and your dogs out hunting enjoying what GOD has given us, remember WE are NEVER alone GOD is ALWAYS with us. Dave

Old Post 02-20-2020 07:55 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

A few years back my wife's uncle lived under a bridge with a dog. Guess he needed more than one dog, they found him frozen.

And Many More

Old Post 02-20-2020 08:18 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

blueticker

That's beyond sad, it's horrible to think someone's life would end that way. Dave

Old Post 02-20-2020 09:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

what about the dog? was it frozen too? .

Old Post 02-20-2020 09:31 PM
Hank Hurley
UKC Forum Member

Also a loner

Hi I'm Jerry and live in barberton Ohio near you. I'm 72 and hunt alone as all my hunting buddies have passed. I have better dogs if I run them alone. Sometimes it's hard on me due to my age but my love for the sport won't let me quit. An old dog and an old man.

Old Post 02-21-2020 01:36 AM
Hank Hurley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hank Hurley Find more posts by Hank Hurley Add Hank Hurley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
what about the dog? was it frozen too? .
I don't know if this was meant to be funny, but I can't stop laughing at it.

Old Post 02-21-2020 02:04 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

True story, the mans name was Danny McNight. I'll be picking his twin brother, Don up around 8 in the morning to do some catfishing. We'll be fishing about a quarter mile from where Danny lived under the bridge.

The older I get the more I dont like hunting alone. Mr Ruger is the only reason I still go hunting alone.

And Many More

Last edited by blueticker on 02-22-2020 at 04:21 AM

Old Post 02-22-2020 04:00 AM