UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking ability?
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Tracking ability?

What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-31-2020 02:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

No

Old Post 03-31-2020 02:20 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

They probably have a lot more hunt time over others, so that means they will be more intelligent than others

Old Post 03-31-2020 02:47 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

I think tracking ability is mostly instinct

The instinct gets maximized by experience and intelligence gained!!!

Old Post 03-31-2020 04:04 PM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

There are dogs with very limited experience and knowledge that

Will put track much more experienced dogs. This is done by Instinct!!!

Old Post 03-31-2020 04:06 PM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Superior tracking ability

I believe that it takes a combination of things and some of them are:
* the DESIRE to catch the game, once a hound is whipped by the game they may chase it, but have lost the desire to abuse their bodies and catch the game at all cost.
A hound with intense desire requires a lesser amount of scent to motivate them.
*Heredity, Genetics, Without high physical and mental ability you just have a nice dog.

And most important is a owner/handler who doesn't think that they can motivate to train superior tracking ability. Mr. Derden once explained breeding by saying "You can't get pecans from a peanut plant"
As ever, Ken Risley

Old Post 03-31-2020 04:38 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have seen young dogs with very little experience naturally out track and out tree older dogs with years of experience.

Tar

Old Post 03-31-2020 07:27 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

If you want to see how a dog should run a Racoon,go to Folsum La. and hunt with Terry Perkins Banjo dog.
He can drive a track like a Coondog should.
I drove 15 hours and we hunted from 8:30 until 4:00 am.
We treed several racoon,and the last one was more impressive than the first,the little dog has a huge heart!

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 03-31-2020 11:34 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

Old Post 03-31-2020 11:45 PM
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

X2

Old Post 04-01-2020 12:02 AM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:

X3
Tar

Old Post 04-01-2020 12:35 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tracking ability...it varies in different dogs for many reasons and hunting the dog will improve the dogs tracking ability...but this dog will always be average...

A great hunting dog is born...he is born with superior intelligence and hunting drive...and another thing that makes him a great hunting dog is the ability to work a track and find the hot end and take it ahead of the other dogs...add having the knack in knowing where to look for game just makes it easy for that dog...I really like a dog that doesn’t need much training...

Years ago a 10 week old puppy showed me he could track and find in my back yard and he showed me more at 4 months and by ten months old he could compete with the best of them...at 12-14 months he was pretty awesome...
He taught me it’s not about age or hunting time that makes superior tracking or hunting ability...

Old Post 04-01-2020 12:54 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm hunting one now that's going to be 9 months old on Thursday. First time I took her to the woods I didn't expect anything from her. She had only seen 2 released coon. Both went about 50 feet. She treed both. She was 6 months and 27 days old and ran a coon 500 yards and treed him. Two nights later she treed a lay-up. Two nights after that she struck one hot and ran him about a mile through 2 deep sloughs, one over my hip boots, And treed him in a cypress tree in about a foot of water. Where did she learn to do this? I have her 4 year old full sister that I thought was the most natural I ever saw, until this one. Their sire and dam are both excellent track dogs.

Old Post 04-01-2020 01:45 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

I think you know where she got from if the mom and dad both were good track dogs! You may need to make that cross again, we need more good track dogs. JS. dave

Old Post 04-01-2020 04:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

One of fastest I ever saw and would catch more coon on ground than I ever saw done something I think very few dogs do. First he run with his head up and push track but what made him stand out was when he made a loose he would almost automatically start making circles each one getting bigger until he picked up track. Always thought that was what made him stand out.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-01-2020 10:13 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I had a Nailor female that was the most honest track running female I have ever owned when she smelled a coon she would open with a huge Male dog mouth and not 1 ounce of babble in her. She wasn't a competition dog she wanted to be right when she treed but when the wind was blowing or raining or just bad conditions she is the one I would take because I knew she would tree a coon. She wasn't the fastest thing in fact I got picked on because she ran like a bluetick. But to me a dog that will grub up a cold trail and get it treed with the grease is what I like.

Old Post 04-01-2020 11:16 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I had a male dog years ago that showed me no amount of hunting was ever going to make him a better track dog. Yes he could tree coon and look good doing it at times . He was even a very accurate dog. But still in the end he buggered around to much and ran tracks he couldn't handle to often. During the winter you would freeze your feet waiting to often. A beautiful bawl mouth dog to listen to that didn't under or over use his mouth. He wasn't a dumb dog. He wasn't an overpowering tree dog so some would call him a track dog but believe me he wasn't a good track dog. Just a track dog that I wouldn't never breed and was glad when he was gone.

Old Post 04-01-2020 02:20 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Easy answer tar!

LIPPER!!

Old Post 04-01-2020 02:31 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Easy answer tar!

quote:
Originally posted by DMG_3
LIPPER!!

Hunted them with a pillow lol. I mean the ones direct out of him they were full of it I didn’t even try and go to them till daylight. But lipper was probly my top 5 fastest track dogs I ever seen people accused him of running junk and ending up on a coon no he was just that fast even on a cold track the other dogs couldn’t move. Me and Corey went last night my female struck and in 20 minutes she was 980 yards treed a cross a roaring deep flooded creek. We had to drive 10 miles around to the other side she had been treed 1 1/2 hr when we got there he was a good running coon so we left him for next time.

Tar

Old Post 04-01-2020 02:52 PM
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

I gave a really good young track dog to teenager years ago.

His dad shocked him off of coon because dads dogs had no tracking ability whatsoever and the idiot thought the good pup was trashing! Finally the kid let me know, but by that time dad had him broke off coon so I gave him to a young bear hunter !!! Thanks Bill Barton, did you ever have a good coondog?!

Old Post 04-01-2020 03:22 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Dogs with real track talent are just born with it. I've never seen a common track dog get much better with age.

Old Post 04-01-2020 04:39 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Dogs with real track talent are just born with it. I've never seen a common track dog get much better with age.
Yep

Old Post 04-01-2020 04:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Iive owned a number of outstanding track dogs over the years, and you can sure tell the difference when they string common dogs out behind them.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-01-2020 05:24 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

👍👍 Spot on! Been my experience when a hound does as you've described they are less likely to have an empty tree at the end. Not say'n it happens 100% but the percentage seems to be a lot higher when a track that starts out cold, turns into a hot running track and then has that brief moment of silence, the locate and lock down treed usually results in meat in the tree!

Old Post 04-01-2020 05:34 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawn mullinnix
UKC Forum Member

Ever wondered why Michael Jordan or Lebron James was born with more God given talent than the rest?

Old Post 04-02-2020 12:57 PM
shawn mullinnix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawn mullinnix Click here to Send shawn mullinnix a Private Message Click Here to Email shawn mullinnix Find more posts by shawn mullinnix Add shawn mullinnix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote