UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Weather
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Weather

Friday I decided I planned to go hunting. At 9:00 the temperature was 84 with a feel-like temp of 90 and 84% humidity. I stayed home.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-20-2022 02:16 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Weather

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Friday I decided I planned to go hunting. At 9:00 the temperature was 84 with a feel-like temp of 90 and 84% humidity. I stayed home.

Best decision you could of made, no way can you enjoy hunting in those conditions. You gain nothing as it's hard on dog and man to hunt like that.

Old Post 06-21-2022 02:24 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Dave, I found that out last night. When I cut her it 87 degrees. She went through a 600 yard patch of woods without a bark. I picked her up and went home.

Old Post 06-21-2022 02:50 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Only conditions I have during the summer.

Old Post 06-21-2022 03:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

I grew up in Western Oklahoma and hunted many 90 degree summer nights, but not much humidity and usually had some wind.

Old Post 06-21-2022 05:07 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Only conditions I have during the summer.
Here also, Bruce. I've hunted year-round all my life. Maybe age is catching up. I'll be 79 in a few days. My dog is not three yet and she was pretty hot also.

Old Post 06-21-2022 06:06 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Here also, Bruce. I've hunted year-round all my life. Maybe age is catching up. I'll be 79 in a few days. My dog is not three yet and she was pretty hot also.

It's definitely a age thing. I hunted year around when I was younger and dumber. As I got older, I realized that summer hunting was more pain than gain for both man and dog. I love those crisp cool Fall months and cold winter nights. Dave

Old Post 06-22-2022 03:35 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If we're lucky we'll start getting a few cooler nights in mid-October.

Old Post 06-22-2022 05:06 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

55 here last night 90% humidity. Very few nights here all summer it wouldn't cool down below 70 by 2am.

Old Post 06-22-2022 07:58 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
55 here last night 90% humidity. Very few nights here all summer it wouldn't cool down below 70 by 2am.

Donnie, the humidity is what gets you and your dogs. You can hunt in higher temperatures if the humidity is low, but temps with high humidity is like a steam bath, just miserable at least for me. It's hard to get in a every night mode during the fall and winter months extending through Spring, then come summer with the heat and humidity and it's hard for hunters to just stop. I learned that the bad just far out weighed the good in summer hunting. Dogs and man overheating, dealing with ticks, mosquitos, snakes and poison ivy, oak all of the nasties that makes summer hunting a real pain with little gain that made me quit summer hunting. My dogs need little tuneup in the fall to get back on track, so little that I wondered why I EVER summer hunted. Dave

Old Post 06-23-2022 05:25 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave I just got in from hunting its 52 degrees and humidity 97%. About perfect scenting conditions for dogs everything is dripping with dew. Far from a steam bath at that temp I had put a hoodie on last drop.

Old Post 06-23-2022 06:46 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I hunt threw the summer and yes it can be challenging. I have to disagree that summer hunting is not worth while for me In my area atleast. Most of the things you have listed Dave are not very concerning to me. I don't get poison, snakes are more of a fear than a threat, the bugs and spiders are generally tolerable, ticks I have not picked any off me much. I have more trouble with bees than I care to mention though. Bees are the worst thing about summer hunting in my area.
I do get a lot of pup training done during the summer and when the pup comes to that right age it's important to get them out there and if they get started to keep them progressing.
If all I did was hunt a seasoned dog then yeah I wouldn't hunt till the weather was cool and easy.

Old Post 06-23-2022 02:04 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I hunt threw the summer and yes it can be challenging. I have to disagree that summer hunting is not worth while for me In my area atleast. Most of the things you have listed Dave are not very concerning to me. I don't get poison, snakes are more of a fear than a threat, the bugs and spiders are generally tolerable, ticks I have not picked any off me much. I have more trouble with bees than I care to mention though. Bees are the worst thing about summer hunting in my area.
I do get a lot of pup training done during the summer and when the pup comes to that right age it's important to get them out there and if they get started to keep them progressing.
If all I did was hunt a seasoned dog then yeah I wouldn't hunt till the weather was cool and easy.

I don't train pups and a seasoned coon dog does not need the summer hunting. Unlike you, I am really allergic to poison vine ivy and oak, ticks are very bad in my area. I am older and "fat" burn up in the heat of summer, I will stay home and let you young guns enjoy summer hunting. Dave

Old Post 06-25-2022 03:12 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Dave I just got in from hunting its 52 degrees and humidity 97%. About perfect scenting conditions for dogs everything is dripping with dew. Far from a steam bath at that temp I had put a hoodie on last drop.

Donnie, I could stand the dampness if the temps were that low. Enjoy yourself. Dave

Old Post 06-25-2022 03:13 AM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I've not been out much at all last few weeks... partly because I've been busy, partly because it's been hot... and partly because baby raccoons are out walking around here now.. and I hate to have a hound kill them on the ground before they grow up and provide good chases in the future.

We got some more rain yesterday... and today it cooled down, high of 67 today, and down to 45 tonight. Believe I'll be hitting the woods tonight.

Old Post 06-25-2022 01:23 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I stayed home again last night. At 9:15 it was 89 degrees.

Old Post 06-25-2022 02:35 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

When I was younger I went in the summer as much as the winter.Still go in the summer some.Im beginning to think TN don't want coons .They've opened the kill season on July 1st on private land the last few years.The problem is finding private land to hunt.I don't like killing coons this time of year.Dont kill many during the season.

Old Post 06-25-2022 04:33 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Those southern States should look into opening coon hunting in their State parks.... you are right... private land won't matter, can't find much of it to hunt on anymore with so many people moving out of Cities and buy a few acres here and there.

Old Post 06-25-2022 05:09 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3Rivers
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I stayed home again last night. At 9:15 it was 89 degrees.

You doing the right thing Mr Donald, I’m not far from you and we shut it down. Just to much humidity mixing with the high temperatures. The coons haven’t been moving either, so I plan on getting a caged coon and head out back and let him go then wait for about 30-40 mins and cut my youngster and let her cut that track naturally. She’s a 14 month and I’m trying to let her get a couple. Look like next week will have more rain chances so I’ll wait til then.
-Chris

Bordelonville La.

‘PR’ Coma’s Sweet Thelma Lou
(Somewheres Stylish Coma x Lone Pine Hollie)

Old Post 06-25-2022 07:14 PM
3Rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3Rivers Click here to Send 3Rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email 3Rivers Find more posts by 3Rivers Add 3Rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I carry a bowl and enough water to make sure the dogs can stay hydrated, and I get to them as fast as I can. But when you are paying entry fees, you cant control the weather. We have to be out in it, no matter what, so the dogs have to be able to take it as well as the handlers. Ive forced myself to get in better shape, and I have made it a point to make sure my dogs are as well. It was 91 when we we turned loose the other night. Dogs treed 7 coons in two hours and looked good. Conditioning and hydration is the key

Old Post 06-26-2022 11:51 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I carry a bowl and enough water to make sure the dogs can stay hydrated, and I get to them as fast as I can. But when you are paying entry fees, you cant control the weather. We have to be out in it, no matter what, so the dogs have to be able to take it as well as the handlers. Ive forced myself to get in better shape, and I have made it a point to make sure my dogs are as well. It was 91 when we we turned loose the other night. Dogs treed 7 coons in two hours and looked good. Conditioning and hydration is the key

Absolutely, a dog sure doesn't need to be fat in this weather and needs to be hunted regularly. Same goes for the guy who holds the leash. But hey some of us carry a little extra weight and get along pretty well, lol.

Old Post 06-27-2022 12:37 AM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

91... I didn't think coons would move when it was that hot. My hats off to anyone hunting in that. I like to think I'm a fairly committed hunter... don't know if I'd do that very often.

Old Post 06-27-2022 01:54 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Weather

Like Josh said, if you are competition hunting you are going to have to hunt in all kinds of weather conditions. I understand that and I hunted year around back in my competition hunting days. I no longer competition hunt, just pleasure hunt trained dogs and no longer need or desire to hunt in the summer months. Give me those nice crisp fall nights and the cold nights of winter and I am a happy man. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-28-2022 03:25 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

We have either bolted on or water tank built into the dog box.

Old Post 06-28-2022 03:53 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
91... I didn't think coons would move when it was that hot. My hats off to anyone hunting in that. I like to think I'm a fairly committed hunter... don't know if I'd do that very often.

As hot 91 is, it would probably fell better than being inside a hot den with 3 or 4 kittens tugging at your tits

Old Post 06-28-2022 11:06 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote