UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Heartworms
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CHRIS PARKS
UKC Forum Member

Heartworms

We have a dog we got a few weeks ago we took him hunting the first night and he done fine he was just poor looking we took him to the vet and he tested positive for heartworms we started giving him medicine 16 days ago now he acts fine has put all his weight back on. Should it be ok to start hunting him now?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-09-2018 09:12 PM
CHRIS PARKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHRIS PARKS Click here to Send CHRIS PARKS a Private Message Find more posts by CHRIS PARKS Add CHRIS PARKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Heartworms

quote:
Originally posted by CHRIS PARKS
We have a dog we got a few weeks ago we took him hunting the first night and he done fine he was just poor looking we took him to the vet and he tested positive for heartworms we started giving him medicine 16 days ago now he acts fine has put all his weight back on. Should it be ok to start hunting him now?

What did the vet say?

Old Post 02-09-2018 09:13 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Heartworms

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
What did the vet say?

I'd definitely wouldn't put any more stress on his ticker,without the vet sayin it was ok...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 02-09-2018 10:07 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHRIS PARKS
UKC Forum Member

The vet told us to give him his mess and if he put his wait back on he should be fine. He listened to his heart and lungs and everything sound fine he never was winded or anything like that he had just lost a lot of weight

Old Post 02-09-2018 10:46 PM
CHRIS PARKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHRIS PARKS Click here to Send CHRIS PARKS a Private Message Find more posts by CHRIS PARKS Add CHRIS PARKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHRIS PARKS
UKC Forum Member

The vet told us to give him his mess and if he put his wait back on he should be fine. He listened to his heart and lungs and everything sound fine he never was winded or anything like that he had just lost a lot of weight

Old Post 02-09-2018 11:35 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

What???

First off the medicine was probably Doxicycline. They will usually give him that to make sure all other infections and the bacterium the heart worms give off. Then the Heartworm treatment comes next. He will receive a shot and be confined to a small kennel for about 3-5 days depending on the severity of the worms. Then in 30 days the dog will be tested to make sure he has a clean bill of health, if not he might get another shot and laid up for 30 days. A lot of vets will do an X-ray of the dogs heart. Total time to recover approximately 60 days.

As far as I know there is only one medicine approved by the FDA for heartworm treatment. If your vet said your dog is cured it means 1 of 3 things
1. He just ripped you off.
2. He has no clue
3. He has a miracle treatment for heart worms.

Heart worms when they die can break up and get in the dogs lungs, then they ain’t worth nothing. That’s why the 30-60 days lay off from all activities.

Good luck.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Last edited by MIKE CARDER on 02-10-2018 at 12:37 AM

Old Post 02-10-2018 12:35 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Heartworms

IMO the 30-60 days is needed so as the worms die and decay they get absorbed and filtered out slowly and shouldn’t cause any problems as long as the dog is confined in a way where it can not over exert itself...over exertion too soon can cause too many dead worms to break off and cause a heart attack or stroke...

Back in 1983 veterinary clinic had a catalog business to sell vaccines, wormers and other supplies...they are two vets and still have the catalog and now a website as well...

The 1983 catalog (magazine) had a recipe to cure dogs of heartworms...I saved the catalog and saved it where I couldn’t find it...one day a friend had a dog with heartworms and the vet said the dog was too far gone and he said to just take it home and give it a quiet life...

I told him I could try that recipe on his dog and he said no problem...it can’t be any worse as it is now with the diagnosis...well I couldn’t find the catalog so I called the clinic requesting a 1983 catalog...the receptionist said that the catalog could not be sent out anymore...so I asked for the heartworms cure and by that time someone else got on the phone and wanted to know who I was...after I told them I was told that they almost lost their veterinary lisence to practice veterinary medicine for putting out a recipe that was not tested and approved...so he couldn’t give me the recipe for treatment...luckily in a few days I found my catalog and for about 5 bucks I cured my friends dog and it lived a long time...also cured 5 or 6 more dogs since then...no side effects such as kidney or liver failure...I burned that recipe in my brain just in case I misplaced that old catalog...those meds are still around...the name has changed slightly and it takes a little fancy calculating to setup for proper dosing...

Last edited by Reuben on 02-10-2018 at 12:21 PM

Old Post 02-10-2018 01:12 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

Heart worms

My male got a light positive at 2 years old n this the process I went through for what it’s worth.
30 days of doxy. Then regular ivomec
30 days of prednisone then first shot .
30 more days of prednisone then two shots in two days time.
30 days of rest then retested and a clean bill of health.

Vet said this method is less strenuous of a process on the heart. It was well worth it. He is doing well now at 6 n have treed a ton of coon with him. Only lasting side affect I’ve seen is he can’t take the heat in summer so I just don’t hunt him. If it were my dog I wouldn’t risk it. IMO. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 02-10-2018 04:51 AM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHRIS PARKS
UKC Forum Member

What we are trying is 30 days of the doxycycline and ivomec we gave him a dose of ivomec when we started the treatment we give him 3 pills of the doxycycline in the morning and 3 pills at night 2 weeks into treatment we gave him another dose of ivomec. As far as his looks and energy level around the house it is 100% better. He has put on weight and looks normal. I don't think the vet was expecting him to make it but after 16 days he has made a big turn around in looks and energy level. Thanks everyone for the in put in just wanting to hunt him we've only hunted him 1 night. We have been told he is a nice hound and he is out of a good cross just itching to see him go.

Old Post 02-10-2018 06:56 AM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Treatment

That much Doxicycline will ruin his liver. And trying to hunt him while taking it will burn him up. So why give him that much Doxicycline? How much ivomec are you giving him? The ivomec is just going to kill the microfilaria, the larva. Not the adults, so he will still have them. It will take a long time to kill them all off this way.

My suggestion is to treat the hound for them using the fast kill method as opposed to the slow kill method. Find out how much Doxicycline he should be taking usually it 2-4 mg per 1 pound of body weight. So if your pills are 250 mg tablets that would be enough for about 6-10 dogs. I would definitely find a new veterinarian.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Last edited by MIKE CARDER on 02-10-2018 at 12:04 PM

Old Post 02-10-2018 11:29 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote